Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
"consistant" doesn't mean it never changes between versions idiots.

it means it works the same across different subcontexts, within the current system. yolo wizard is right in this dull semantic argument

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
stux's posts need to semantically consistent

med school head
Apr 17, 2012
seriosuly this forum is just miserable

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

gargle chome posted:

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

it was good times until you showed up

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

gargle chome posted:

close the microsoft thrad

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

gargle chome posted:

agreed but also chomea

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

Amethyst posted:

"consistant" doesn't mean it never changes between versions idiots.

it means it works the same across different subcontexts, within the current system. yolo wizard is right in this dull semantic argument

consistent means "acting or done in the same way over time". hold on homescreen making the icons movable has acted in the same way over time. its consistent. pleas eo come back with a better argument ro perhaps a brain.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Stux posted:

consistent means "acting or done in the same way over time". hold on homescreen making the icons movable has acted in the same way over time. its consistent. pleas eo come back with a better argument ro perhaps a brain.

i don't actually give a rats rear end about your stupid rear end phone, fucker!!!!!!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

Amethyst posted:

i don't actually give a rats rear end about your stupid rear end phone, fucker!!!!!!

u did until it turned out u were fuckinig wrong and an idiot. roll overso i can scratch ur belly because ur a loving mutt

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Stux posted:

u did until it turned out u were fuckinig wrong and an idiot. roll overso i can scratch ur belly because ur a loving mutt

you don't know poo poo about poo poo and post on this forum to roleplay as someone who does

bring up your theory of consistency at work some time and listen to everyone's voices get slower and louder for the idiot baby

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Amethyst posted:

you don't know poo poo about poo poo and post on this forum to roleplay as someone who does

bring up your theory of consistency at work some time and listen to everyone's voices get slower and louder for the idiot baby

don't sign

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
increase in comprehension is directly linked to a decrease in quality of stux posts

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

Amethyst posted:

ok i'll ask evyeryone at work, u ask every one at the nursury u get left at every morning, and we can compared responsies.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Stux posted:

~crashes through window~

DID SOMEBODY SAY SEMANTIC ARGUMENT

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
yeah, amethyst litierlaly did in the psot i replied to, so i embraced the semantic arguement.

Amethyst posted:

yolo wizard is right in this dull semantic argument

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

carry on then posted:

you misspelled reeder fyi

I certainly did not, I can read feedly on any web browser or in the app and everything stays in sync no matter what I even pay the money for feedly pro

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

pretty sure everyone arguing about 3d touch hasn't used it, it took me like one try to learn the difference between that and how to move icons

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

qirex posted:

pretty sure everyone arguing about 3d touch hasn't used it, it took me like one try to learn the difference between that and how to move icons

ya but why dont they just add it to ios8? fuckin money grubbers thats why

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

MS added new compression algos to NTFS compression. It was only to xpress4k before but now there's xpress8k, xpress16k, and lzw increasing in cpu overhead and compression ratios as you go. LZW increased the compression rate for sparse garbage like log files by 50% which minimal added overhead but you can only access it from the command line with the compact.exe utility

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

ms released a "test update" on win7 full of random garbage because nobody needs QA

hellban every shameful idiot sperging about the home button

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

got a call asking why onedrive has a 10 meg file limit. not knowing what the client was talking about, had them send me the link to check.

it was an excel file, and onedrive share links open directly into excel online...which itself has a 10 meg file limit and gives you no options to save the file locally or whatever, it just errors out. so you have to put the excel file into a folder and share access to the folder instead. microsoft's weird exceptions are giving me french grammar flashbacks

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

univbee posted:

got a call asking why onedrive has a 10 meg file limit. not knowing what the client was talking about, had them send me the link to check.

it was an excel file, and onedrive share links open directly into excel online...which itself has a 10 meg file limit and gives you no options to save the file locally or whatever, it just errors out. so you have to put the excel file into a folder and share access to the folder instead. microsoft's weird exceptions are giving me french grammar flashbacks

I was thinking swedish chef or Tin tin

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

qirex posted:

yeah right. these guys make super cool informed opinions about it

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

ms released a "test update" on win7 full of random garbage because nobody needs QA

hellban every shameful idiot sperging about the home button
did they actually confirm it was a "test" update somewhere?

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

anthonypants posted:

did they actually confirm it was a "test" update somewhere?
spokesperson told ars technica that it was an incorrectly published test update

https://isc.sans.edu/diary/Mistakenly-deployed+test+patch+leads+to+suspicious+Windows+update+/20201

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

spokesperson told ars technica that it was an incorrectly published test update

https://isc.sans.edu/diary/Mistakenly-deployed+test+patch+leads+to+suspicious+Windows+update+/20201

Lol looks like we missed it

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

more like Don't Patch Tuesday, if you ask me

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Pinterest Mom posted:

more like Don't Patch Tuesday, if you ask me

wish you'd observe don't post tuesday

and also every other day

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

post post post (every day)

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

MS added new compression algos to NTFS compression. It was only to xpress4k before but now there's xpress8k, xpress16k, and lzw increasing in cpu overhead and compression ratios as you go. LZW increased the compression rate for sparse garbage like log files by 50% which minimal added overhead but you can only access it from the command line with the compact.exe utility

neat, can it compress chunks larger than 64KB yet?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Dylan16807 posted:

neat, can it compress chunks larger than 64KB yet?

No, and that probably won't change until SSDs are completely ubiquitous. Latency and overhead becomes a big consideration for filesystem compression, if you're writing the bigger the block you're working with the more latency you're incurring to write the file. When you're doing random reads out of a large file, you have to deflate an entire chunk at a time to access its data. 64kb stripe sizes are raid arrays are fairly common and if you start compressing in 128, 256kb, or larger chunks what was a single read io to pull 2kb out of that 64kb chunk now becomes 2, 4, or however much larger you decide to make it.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

No, and that probably won't change until SSDs are completely ubiquitous. Latency and overhead becomes a big consideration for filesystem compression, if you're writing the bigger the block you're working with the more latency you're incurring to write the file. When you're doing random reads out of a large file, you have to deflate an entire chunk at a time to access its data. 64kb stripe sizes are raid arrays are fairly common and if you start compressing in 128, 256kb, or larger chunks what was a single read io to pull 2kb out of that 64kb chunk now becomes 2, 4, or however much larger you decide to make it.

But that's the problem, the massive fragmentation is bad on a hard drive and negligible on an SSD. If you need 10ms to seek, you might as well read 1MB while you're there.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
3d touch is pretty okay, the iphone 6/6s/6+/6s+ isn't though

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Dylan16807 posted:

But that's the problem, the massive fragmentation is bad on a hard drive and negligible on an SSD. If you need 10ms to seek, you might as well read 1MB while you're there.

on a good platter drive with ncq, that's still lost read time that could have been queued up with other commands

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
dear god installed El Capitan on my 2011 mbook air

Apple has just been iterating OSX the past 5 years and yet the gap in UX, app quality, stability, notifications, searching etc has actually gotten wider in favour of OSX

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Apple has just been iterating OSX the past 5 years and yet the gap in UX, app quality, searching etc has actually gotten wider in favour of OSX

thanks for updating us you insanely dull piece of poo poo!!!!!!!!!

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

*runs into the thread*

Guys guys! I just installed software on my computer and I like it!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Apple has just been iterating OSX the past 5 years and yet the gap in UX, app quality, stability, notifications, searching etc has actually gotten wider in favour of OSX

tbf search is definitely something they've been working on for the past few years

mostly to shut out google, but still

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Amethyst posted:

*runs into the thread*

Guys guys! I just installed software on my computer and I like it!
*runs into thread*

holy gently caress windows is still windows wow what the fuckkkkk

• Locked thread