Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Popular Thug Drink posted:

whichever. tunneling is safer, but slower and it's more difficult to regulate temperature. building in the open gives you more freedom and is quicker, but you have to produce building materials and it opens you up to many more angles of attack. in the base game, you can't upgrade walls - you have to mine the space out then rebuild it. there are mods that let you smooth walls

i prefer building thick granite-walled farming colonies surrounded by acres of corn, but this can be hairy when 40 rabid tribals show up

There is a mod out there that sets the temp of 'under mountain' to 15. Pretty much solving all temperature related problems with mountain forts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

fart simpson posted:

Chickens are amazing. I'm 4 months into my new colony and I've had around 50 chicks born. About half of those are male, which I don't really need, so I sold them to a bulk trader for about 25 silver each. This is going to keep growing and getting better, too.

Yeah, hens are crazy good for food production. Eggs are super nutritious so you only need 2 for simple meals. One or two good sun lamp and heated fields to keep that haygrass rolling through winters and you could easily survive off eggs alone.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
chickens, pigs, and dogs seem to be the only worthwhile animals. the other all require too much upkeep for their benefits.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I had a couple wargs that I kept going on human meat. It worked well until mechanoids killed them.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
Dogs have limited use because they are very fragile at melee ranges where they operate. Perhaps some doggy armor or a doggy shield would be in order?

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Overwined posted:

Dogs have limited use because they are very fragile at melee ranges where they operate. Perhaps some doggy armor or a doggy shield would be in order?

I would say improve dogs to make them more lethal but then there's the opposite effect of your dogs going berserk and killing all of your colonists

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dog cybernetics, end goal is blade wolf.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Dog cybernetics, end goal is blade wolf.

Honestly specialized dog implants would be cool as poo poo. Razor chainsaw teeth, titanium claws, laser eyes, etc.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Dogs are nice haulers.

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

Omni-gel superlube is great stuff!
I mostly use dogs for hauling. I want elephants or muffalo for attack because they can take a lot more punishment and I don't feel bad about eating them if they are killed. I usually just let them graze though. I just stockpile hay for winter and toxic fallout.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
I don't use any animals for combat. Dogs and pigs make good haulers. I'm sure rhinos and stuff like that would be decent fighters.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

lol if you don't tame dozens of mosquitoes to unleash upon enemies

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
The trick to animal combat is to tame a bunch of the exploding camel things and setting their home area in or close to your kill box

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Skaw posted:

The trick to animal combat is to tame a bunch of the exploding camel things and setting their home area in or close to your kill box

One of my very young colonies was recently saved by an extraordinarily lucky sequence of events. I had only 4 colonists and one of them was totally unarmed when a boomrat tamed itself. So, knowing that culling it might be risky, I made a small animal zone for it away from my colonists and put it in there. Then I get a pretty big raid (for so early) of 4 melee guys and one guy with a pistol. Well, upon passing by this little boomrat they get a hateboner for it and immediately surround it. It explodes, killing one of the melee guys outright and setting the other 3 on fire. One bullet apiece for two of the half dead melee guys and the other two turn tail. Had the boomrat not been there they certainly would've creamed me.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

I just had some Maine Coons join my colony in a random event.

Eight of the fuckers. They're going to eat me out of house and home :psyduck:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Mister Adequate posted:

There's a problem that could resolve itself :chef:

Death by Chickens
Jan 12, 2012

Mister Adequate posted:

This doubles as an apocalyptic event as well. Hell hath no fury like 8 giant cats.

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000
I have been playing a bit, burning out, skipping an update or three and playing again. It's great how really cool new features get added regularly, one of the best games I bought in early-access or whatever you want to call it.

I hadn't played for a few versions, so with animal taming in I decided to give it a go. I normally prefer the base-building aspect and more survival against nature than survival against enemies, so I usually roll with Prepare Carefully, set it to an easy storyteller, and even mod out/reduce the frequency of certain events like solar flares, circuit overloads, or sieges. This time I decided to try out two-person colonies and see how it goes, both to try out the animal taming, and just see how the game plays with Joy added and the new timetable mechanics - so I also disabled the "Random colonist joins your colony" event, and any crashed pods get ignored, and I refuse joining for any fugitives.

First colony, I did one farmer and one surgeon, and some chickens. Once the grass was gone I found I didn't have enough hay and animals starved.
Tried that again, and it seems like it's pretty easy once you have a good food supply set up - I kept everyone free-range until I had good hay production going, then slowly expanded, also keeping a close eye on the chicken population and keeping the roosters separate from the hens.

Pretty big colony with a lot of room for the egg-laying chickens, muffalo, and deer, multiple barns with hay, and two big hay fields, with some rice, strawberries, and cloth for my colonists. Ended up researching droids (MAI mod) so they do all of the hauling, gardening, animal handling etc. All that's left for my colonists is to chill out and make sculptures.

Second colony I decided to do two brewers, because animals need a lot of space unless I want to keep them in a small coop or something.

It's been a lot easier to set up, but the main problem is getting traders in to actually trade my stuff away. Are there any mods that increase traders, or let you build stuff to have them come more? Would love some kind of "marketplace" thing where local tribes visit and set up shop, and then more ships visit...

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Koobze posted:

It's been a lot easier to set up, but the main problem is getting traders in to actually trade my stuff away. Are there any mods that increase traders, or let you build stuff to have them come more? Would love some kind of "marketplace" thing where local tribes visit and set up shop, and then more ships visit...

There is a mod that lets friendly settlements come by and set up a trading tent temporarily, but I don't know exactly which one it is, just that it's integrated into the Ultimate Overhaul Modpack. I just looked through the mod list but nothing stood out as doing it.

Also lol mod drama the pack has been pulled completely from everywhere the guy who made it can reach.

Anyway sorry I can't help more, but something very like what you are looking for does exist.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Koobze posted:

If you're ok with technically cheating, you can enable dev mode and then force a trader event to start. I can't remember the name of the trader tent mod either though.

Also,

Mister Adequate posted:

Also lol mod drama the pack has been pulled completely from everywhere the guy who made it can reach.

:laffo: any details?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Tommofork posted:

:laffo: any details?

https://www.reddit.com/r/RimWorld/comments/3mxt5z/ultimate_overhaul_modpack_gone/

As always, :10bux:

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
Man I wish those the whole Modders Rights types stayed in Minecraft. That stuff is just poison for game communities.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

It's everything I hoped for and more. The story that I can cobble together is the modpack dude, Ninefinger, asked if he could include Itchyflea's mods in the modpack. Itchyflea said sure, but only if you include a separate donation link for me (which seems like something Ninefinger has done for others from context). Ninefinger says sure and adds the mods. Two weeks later Itchyflea calls out Ninefinger for not adding the donate links yet, Ninefinger goes nuclear. People are referencing a long month of bad posts from Ninefinger, apparently the dude deleted shitloads of his posts from the forum as well lmao.

Some choice quotes.

quote:

I don't think drawing comparisons to Minecraft is appropriate in the situation. Usually modders had problems with the way ninefinger handled mod inclusion, i.e. lack of credit, donation link, etc. not with the inclusion in the modpack itself.
The drama always stemmed from someone taking these grievances up with nine and him reacting in an escalating manner like when he took his modpack to another site and went all "your rules don't apply to me anymore." In the end people had problems with ninefinger, not his pack.

quote:

I so strongly agree with this. Furthermore, as a player I strongly prefer playing with a few distinct, high impact mods or a dedicated total-conversion mod rather than cobbling together many into a Frankenstein mod.
But that's just preference. Ninefinger didn't play the last month or so very coolly, so I can't say I'm sad to see him go. (Just my view as an outsider that read the posts...)

quote:

I will state again for the record that we have lost talented modders to this.

quote:

I knew there were going to be drama llamas roaming the place the first time I read the big bold italicized red notification at the top of the [modpack] thread stating that there were zero bugs in the mod and that if you were having any problems they must be due to something else. I mean, sure, that could possibly be true, but that's basically just telling everyone to piss off.

quote:

I'm going to bed for now but i'll be checking tomorrow to see any new developments, and he wasn't in the best light for me anyway, if anyone challenged him he'd make a huge deal out of it instead of trying to work things out.
From what I can tell before everything was torched Itchyflea asked him to either A. Add a donation link on the weebly site for his stuff or B. Remove the mods. Nine promised to add the donation link 2 weeks beforehand and never did so.
After that Nine went on a rant about how he didn't need anyone being mean to him anymore and that he didn't have to include anyone's mods anyway and then he went on some kind of weird sarcastic fling about how people were acting so friendly then turned on him and started making demands, even though he was the one who promised to add a donation link/button for the other mod maker.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

This is the perfect time to push InacioPack. :eng101:

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

What's the best way to ensure my chickens have access to food? I built a room to be their coop and I have a little fridge next door to keep their hay from spoiling, but it seems like the chickens can't/won't go through the door to eat. I'd like to avoid micro here.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Bold Robot posted:

What's the best way to ensure my chickens have access to food? I built a room to be their coop and I have a little fridge next door to keep their hay from spoiling, but it seems like the chickens can't/won't go through the door to eat. I'd like to avoid micro here.

Make a stockpile for haygrass in the coop with higher priority than the freezer. Haygrass lasts a really long time so it doesn't necessarily need to be frozen unless you have a ton of it. I think it's 180 days and it stacks to 200.

ReverendCode
Nov 30, 2008

Bold Robot posted:

Animals will only eat food that is in their designated area (even though hauling animals will go outside their zone to haul)

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Jesus that is disappointing to hear. I don't particularly blame somebody for putting a donation button somewhere because cobbling all that bullshit together must have been a real pain but why have a big crybaby episode over just adding another button for someone else's hard work you're redistributing, that's super lame.

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

Tommofork posted:

It's everything I hoped for and more. The story that I can cobble together is the modpack dude, Ninefinger, asked if he could include Itchyflea's mods in the modpack. Itchyflea said sure, but only if you include a separate donation link for me (which seems like something Ninefinger has done for others from context). Ninefinger says sure and adds the mods. Two weeks later Itchyflea calls out Ninefinger for not adding the donate links yet, Ninefinger goes nuclear. People are referencing a long month of bad posts from Ninefinger, apparently the dude deleted shitloads of his posts from the forum as well lmao.

Some choice quotes.
Just reading those quotes, responses seem ...Mostly sane? Seems like some crazy guy went nuclear over something stupid and people just shrugging and moving on. I was expecting angry screaming from all sides and the community being generally terrible, but maybe you just get a different kind of person with indie town-sims or whatever compared to your minecraft or nexus modding scene. Of course I haven't actually read that reddit thread because I value my sanity

also drama llamas is a fantastic term that I am going to steal

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...
In case anyone still had any hope for Ninefinger not being the irredeemable drama queen in this scenario:

Ninefinger posted:

The project you currently know as The Ultimate Overhaul Modpack is now private so that I can continue to work on it unhindered.

It has gotten to the point for me that I do not want to check my own thread or PM's for what comments that might be waiting, and fear of what content might be at risk next.

Only myself and my sponsors will have access to my project and its updates until RimWorld and my project has reached final release. I will be rebuilding the project from the ground up. Once the Modpack is a final release along with RimWorld someone will release it to the public.

I am going to lay it on you strait, too many people do not understand that issues come from people that have an issue and create an issue otherwise there would be no issue, either with me or the modpack, you probably already know how I feel about such people. To put it lightly any modder that does not wish to have their content included in the pack and wants to whine and snivel like a baby will be regarded as such and as someone who does not have the goodwill to allow the community to enjoy their content the way everyone wants it to be enjoyed.

You will be forced into submission of goodwill and you will consider yourselves to be privileged to have your content included in such a masterpiece!

The only response to this that you are allowed is Sir, Yes Sir!

Do I make myself clear?

It is a rhetorical question to which the only answer is Yes Sir!

I do not care for negative responses and they will be ignored as your opinion does not matter to me if you do not share my vision.

The public will have what they want I promise you that.

Anyone that wants to continue a public release of their own iteration of the Modpack is more than welcome to do so.

I wish you luck!

To the much deserving community of good people I love you and I am truly sorry that I can no longer publicly provide you with what should have been an unhindered project.

My decision has been made, I have my reasons and I have spoken and you will respect that and that is final!

Sincerely, Ninefinger

:rip: modpack

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Ahahaha oh man, I hadn't seen that. Magical :allears:

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

GROVER CURES HOUSE posted:

In case anyone still had any hope for Ninefinger not being the irredeemable drama queen in this scenario:

It's like a Bizzaro CovertJaguar and only bit less stupid.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

0lives posted:

Just reading those quotes, responses seem ...Mostly sane? Seems like some crazy guy went nuclear over something stupid and people just shrugging and moving on. I was expecting angry screaming from all sides and the community being generally terrible, but maybe you just get a different kind of person with indie town-sims or whatever compared to your minecraft or nexus modding scene. Of course I haven't actually read that reddit thread because I value my sanity

also drama llamas is a fantastic term that I am going to steal

I was trying to go for quotes about Ninefinger that were illustrating his meltdown. The reddit thread was actually reasonable, shocking, I know.

It's too beautiful for this world.

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

hahaha christ, this man is legitimately insane

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

jesus christ, between this and fart shitizen I believe I am well over my video game drama quota for the year, it's just too good

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The thing that gets me as that as far as I can tell he's getting high and mighty over a loving modpack. Like is he even doing anything other than just making sure they all work together and putting them all in the same download?

Don't worry about it dorkozoid I'll just make my own 'modpack' by downloading things individually.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Moridin920 posted:

The thing that gets me as that as far as I can tell he's getting high and mighty over a loving modpack. Like is he even doing anything other than just making sure they all work together and putting them all in the same download?

Don't worry about it dorkozoid I'll just make my own 'modpack' by downloading things individually.

He maintains a bunch of dead mods in the modpack, and edits them pretty heavily to make them work together in a more rational manner

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Virtually all modders are insufferable and the notion that modders can ask for money is one of the worst developments to make modding communities toxic and whiny.

Times were best when everyone recognised they were standing on the shoulders of giants and there was an expectation that anything you made public could be fairly used by anyone else and the reasonable expectation was that you'd get an acknowledgement for your work.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Alchenar posted:

Virtually all modders are insufferable and the notion that modders can ask for money is one of the worst developments to make modding communities toxic and whiny.

Times were best when everyone recognised they were standing on the shoulders of giants and there was an expectation that anything you made public could be fairly used by anyone else and the reasonable expectation was that you'd get an acknowledgement for your work.

I feel like (although maybe this is confirmation bias) it also causes all kinds of hosed up behavior in terms of 'promise some crazy huge/complex mod' to get $$$ but then obviously the scope is waaay too huge and the mod never gets finished or comes out a pale shadow of what was promised. Then you get clowncar'd as soon as you try to make a negative statement.

Like Star Citizen, but smaller scale.

I mean poo poo, hire some graphics people on Fiverr, make some cool concept art and mockups and possibly fake screens, promise the moon, throw a Paypal button on there, put that poo poo up on the Fallout 4 Nexus and I bet you'd get more than you put in and you wouldn't even have to make anything. Just let it collect donations and put out some more model work or whatever every week to milk it as long as possible. And then you can just keep the money because hey, it's a Paypal donation not a purchase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Alchenar posted:

That's what happens when you let nerds dictate terms of use instead of just mandating a specific license.