Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I have a question: what's everybody's opinion on the Dieppe raid? Thanks to "the World at War," I've bought into the idea that it was an experimental raid to see how hard this invading malarkey was, and it turns out the answer is "very." I can understand how such an experience would be formative for putting together Overlord...I'm just wondering if this lesson could have been learned with fewer captured or killed.

e: linky

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Sep 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Suspect Bucket posted:

I'm all for Barthas never shutting up. Man is a goldmine.

Can you imagine his grandson, asking him wide-eyed what he did in the war? Boy got a lecture he never recovered from.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

ArchangeI posted:

Can you imagine his grandson, asking him wide-eyed what he did in the war? Boy got a lecture he never recovered from.

Funny you should say this; there's an anecdote in the afterword...

quote:

Then the anecdote, told me by Abel Barthas, elder son of Louis: “One evening, after school, I had to write a history lesson, a description in a few lines of the work of Adolphe Thiers, under the heading ‘Thiers, liberator of our territory.’ My father told me, ‘Wait, I’ll give you the description myself.’ And he wrote: ‘Thiers, hangman of the Commune, assassin of the working class.’ I was shaking on my way to school, the next day. The teacher took my notebook, turned red, then pale; he closed it, and didn’t mention it again.” Abel was eight years old in 1914. This anecdote would therefore have taken place a little before the First World War.

:black101:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
barthas owns

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

ArchangeI posted:

IIRC, the grandson was a history teacher, and one day decided to bring grand pere's old diaries into class so the kids could read about the trenches themselves.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Nebakenezzer posted:

I have a question: what's everybody's opinion on the Dieppe raid? Thanks to "the World at War," I've bought into the idea that it was an experimental raid to see how hard this invading malarkey was, and it turns out the answer is "very." I can understand how such an experience would be formative for putting together Overlord...I'm just wondering if this lesson could have been learned with fewer captured or killed.

Far more was learned off the back of the various opposed amphibious operations in Sicily and Italy (things like 'don't let the Navy shoot down all the paratrooper transports' and 'get the gently caress inland on day 1 or you won't have enough space to ever break out of your bridgehead')

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I kind of amused and saddened that the respect for the common French soldier seemed so low at the turn of the 20th century, I'm guessing this is one of the after effects of the Franco Prussian War?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Is it this one?

This one.

Also, a bunch of actual camoed-up Soviet vehicles from photos and manuals not some artist's fantasies:

This one is my favourite, as it shows off the wide variety of winter camouflage patterns.

Also you can find some manuals that don't have photos associated with them on my blog under the camouflage tag.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The front right truck is "Winter Camo by Mrs. Brown's 2nd Grade Class"

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Nebakenezzer posted:

I've heard remarks from people that the main lesson learnt was 'don't attack a massively fortified port head on and during the day', so maybe not terribly useful in the grand scheme of things. Like people said, Italy and Sicily were much more influential.

The lessons learned from the landings in Italy would have been useful for the Germans too, in particular;
- You don't want to defend hard on the beaches since you will get smashed to gently caress by naval gunfire
- The invasion force is not at its most weakest when coming ashore. It's at it most weakest when marshalling for the breakout after landing, so you want to hold things back for a massive counterattack late in the day.

Von Runstedt said all of this but was ignored because Rommel was in charge, and Rommel said they were going to defend on the beaches and throw the Allies back into the sea. D-Day would have been a lot different if someone other than Rommel had been put in charge of the Atlantic wall defences, especially after everyone saw just how much trouble the US had getting out of the beachhead as it was.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What's up with the tyre tread pattern thing they've got going on there? What is it meant to look like/blend in with?

MikeCrotch posted:

D-Day would have been a lot different if someone other than Rommel had been put in charge of the Atlantic wall defences, especially after everyone saw just how much trouble the US had getting out of the beachhead as it was.

Lets say that happens (yes, I realise that if they were competent they wouldn't be the Nazis) and the worst case scenario happens: the allies get crushed and pull back into the channel. Was there a contingency plan of some sort or were they just going to shrug and let the soviets deal with it?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

I kind of amused and saddened that the respect for the common French soldier seemed so low at the turn of the 20th century, I'm guessing this is one of the after effects of the Franco Prussian War?

Really their experience is not substantially different to any conscript army in a 20th century war in anything other than the specific context. Professional officers tend to give no fucks about the welfare of conscripts and this problem gets magnified several times over when there isn't a professional NCO group large enough to bridge the gap between the two.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

MikeCrotch posted:

I've heard remarks from people that the main lesson learnt was 'don't attack a massively fortified port head on and during the day', so maybe not terribly useful in the grand scheme of things. Like people said, Italy and Sicily were much more influential.

The lessons learned from the landings in Italy would have been useful for the Germans too, in particular;
- You don't want to defend hard on the beaches since you will get smashed to gently caress by naval gunfire
- The invasion force is not at its most weakest when coming ashore. It's at it most weakest when marshalling for the breakout after landing, so you want to hold things back for a massive counterattack late in the day.

Von Runstedt said all of this but was ignored because Rommel was in charge, and Rommel said they were going to defend on the beaches and throw the Allies back into the sea. D-Day would have been a lot different if someone other than Rommel had been put in charge of the Atlantic wall defences, especially after everyone saw just how much trouble the US had getting out of the beachhead as it was.

IMHO opinion Rommel had it right, you can't fight a battle of maneuver against a beachhead without air superiority or at least contested air space (which the Germans decidedly did not have in France 1944), and attacking into the beaches after the landing means you still have to fight into the range of naval gunfire. To say nothing of attacking into the Bocage.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

HEY GAL posted:

Edit: The Spanish at Nördlingen were so seasoned that when they saw Swedish cannonballs coming at them they all knelt down, which is pretty cool. (They're so slow you can see them in flight.)

I remember seeing something illustrate the same during the Charge of the Light Brigade. Cannons firing directly at the advancing cavalry meant that said cavalry could actually dodge them reasonably successfully, or at least the dudes in front.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Slavvy posted:

What's up with the tyre tread pattern thing they've got going on there? What is it meant to look like/blend in with?

Anything. It would've been green and white, which are going to be the two main colours you'll see in the backdrop of a winter forest at snowy latitudes, and it serves to break up the silhouette; camoflage isn't just about "looking like" specific things and appearing to be part of the surroundings, it's also very much about not looking like a specific thing people are alert to. If people "see" two weird white shapes (because the tyre-track has blended with the tree behind) the brain's more likely to go "Some weird rocks" and move on.

EDIT: It's almost certainly happened to you at some point, but think about times when you've been looking straight at a thing like a tortoiseshell cat in some grass or something, and abruptly when it's moved you realise it's there, because before your brain was only processing "bits of weird brown and black". In this respect, being a solid block of tank-shaped white is actually fairly poor camoflage.

My question, and it's almost certainly been asked in the past 600 pages but I'm only on page... 14 by honest means, but:

Was the war in Vietnam winnable in a realistic sense? Was there anything that could've been done with the best planning and military leadership around, or was it always going to be a meatgrinder that would eventually lose steam and fold?

spectralent fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Oct 1, 2015

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

spectralent posted:

Was the war in Vietnam winnable in a realistic sense? Was there anything that could've been done with the best planning and military leadership around, or was it always going to be a meatgrinder that would eventually lose steam and fold?

Bomb North Vietnam until it was a smoldering ruin where even the citizenry are no longer able to wage war due to no longer existing.

Or does that not count?

Vietnam was the US supporting a pretty unpopular and lovely government in its own civil war, in which the enemy was predominately people fighting for an ideological cause or because their own homes were at risk. An ideal Vietnam probably would have been like Operation Enduring Freedom with more trees.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Frostwerks posted:

Just because you suck on things instinctively doesn't make it a snorkel.

I'm sorry, its just that my snorkel is so big my girlfriend calls it her "deep wading gear"

Slavvy posted:

Breaks up the pattern, thus making it harder to discern over long distances.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

An "ideal Vietnam" would not be going to war in Vietnam.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

spectralent posted:

Vietnam was won in a military sense, but lost in a political sense because the American public was fundamentally uncomfortable with propping up a bloody dictatorship. There simply wasn't the ideological motivation to fight, which means either the US needed to conclude the fight very quickly (a decapitation strike on Ho Chi Minh and the rest of the Viet Cong leadership, or widespread destruction of the North Vietnamese military and will to fight) or improve the political situation by changing the South Vietnamese leadership. The lack of good intelligence or precision weapons meant the only realistic way of concluding the fight quickly would have involved nuclear weapons, while changing the political situation was nonviable given the Cold War realities. Going Colonel Kurtz on the the Viet Cong wasn't domestically tenable, and whether or not a terror war would have worked was a completely moot point since it wouldn't happen. A WWII-style total war might have seen more success, but that invited spiraling the conflict into a larger conflict with China and the Soviet Union. Vietnamization was the best option for actually winning a victory, but the American experience in Vietnam, Iraq, and many other countries have shown how difficult it is to materially improve a weak national military.

That being said, there's certainly a scorched-Earth argument that by completely devastating Vietnam, America deterred other nations from undertaking similar communist revolutions - thus achieving America's core interest in upholding Containment Theory. By the time America had finished, the burning husk of Vietnam added nothing to the communist sphere of influence. A costly strategic victory, perhaps, but a victory all the same. But clearly the outcome of the conflict is too complex to paint in the black and white terms of victory or defeat.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Oct 1, 2015

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Dieppe, if anything, was useful in that it demonstrated the capabilities of the Commando units to simultaneously hold the flanks of a landing and push inland to deal with gun positions. It didn't hurt too badly as a test for landing tanks either, and showed nicely what kinds of problems they would face later. Bear in mind that the Sicily landings were a year or so later, so they knew from Dieppe that pebble beaches weren't actually better than sand at all.

chitoryu12 posted:

An ideal Vietnam probably would have been like Operation Enduring Freedom with more trees.
You could have just said "no"...

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
(I realise several people responded but this one stood out for succinctness)

Endman posted:

An "ideal Vietnam" would not be going to war in Vietnam.

This was kind of what I'd felt the more I'd read about it; it seemed like the whole thing was a bad idea from the beginning.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Slavvy posted:

A lightly snowed area, like snow blowing on top of a rock or something.

Also, silly me, I forgot the best camouflage pattern of them all!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Ensign Expendable posted:

Is that a prop from Morozko?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Kaal posted:

That being said, there's certainly a scorched-Earth argument that by completely devastating Vietnam, America deterred other nations from undertaking similar communist revolutions - thus achieving America's core interest in upholding Containment Theory. By the time America had finished, the burning husk of Vietnam added nothing to the communist sphere of influence. A costly strategic victory, perhaps, but a victory all the same. But clearly the outcome of the conflict is too complex to paint in the black and white terms of victory or defeat.

Is that some crazy post-war justification by Kissinger or Nixon? Because it sounds crazy. There were still communist revolutions or insurgencies in Africa, other parts of SE Asia, and Central America. The insurgency in S. Vietnam was so strong because of the backing from N. Vietnam, so very few of the other attempts succeeded, but that was because Vietnam was a totally different situation than later revolutions. In hindsight, I suppose you could say that Vietnam was the high-water mark, since no other country managed to switch to Communism afterwards (except briefly in Nicaragua and Afghanistan), but that doesn't mean that the apocalyptic devastation of Vietnam is to credit for that.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Is that a prop from Morozko?

It's a gritty reboot to appeal to today's youth audiences.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Ensign Expendable posted:

the day we stopped folk-art-decorating common objects was a dark one

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

spectralent posted:

This was kind of what I'd felt the more I'd read about it; it seemed like the whole thing was a bad idea from the beginning.

The entire purpose for the war was political. South Vietnam was a really lovely and oppressive government that was really unpopular, but it was a republic facing a communist invasion and thus the United States was automatically on its side. It wasn't even an American war at first, just advisers and special forces operations. The Gulf of Tonkin incident provided an excuse to start actively bombing Vietnam, then the attacks on American air bases was the excuse needed to send thousands of troops in.

The thing is, you can't really defeat an enemy that's driven by the need to defend their homes from invaders without totally wiping them out. Most of the Viet Cong didn't give two shits about the communist party's ideology and didn't exactly have a comprehensive understanding of the politics that led to the war. They viewed it as basically a continuation of the colonial wars and struggle for independence that they or their parents and grandparents had been a part of before. You can't simply push someone out of territory when that territory is where they live, and the situation was ripe for a civilian insurgency that could continue the war of attrition without the regular NVA troops participating.

The best way to win that war would have been the unfavorable one: indiscriminate slaughter and bombing until there's nobody left to fight and/or no weapons left to fight with, which risked dragging China into it.

Even if the US "won" the war, toppling Ho Chi Minh and occupying a now unified Vietnam, it would have done little to address the insurgency problem or improved stability.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

chitoryu12 posted:

The best way to win that war would have been the unfavorable one: indiscriminate slaughter and bombing until there's nobody left to fight and/or no weapons left to fight with, which risked dragging China into it.

Even if the US "won" the war, toppling Ho Chi Minh and occupying a now unified Vietnam, it would have done little to address the insurgency problem or improved stability.

The free fire zones were thoroughly devastated by US bombing, sending enormous amounts of the population toward the urban centers and impoverishing the rural farmers in many zones. This did not end NLF activity in these areas. Irregulars, not particularly attached to any one place are way better at avoiding aerial bombardment and that kind of slaughter than civilians, who are culturally and economically connected to a particular area.

Also the problem with bombing North Vietnam more is that it's extremely debatable how much of an effect that would've had- North Vietnam was a conduit, not an industrial center- there's nothing the US could've bombed that wasn't reparable in short order.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

chitoryu12 posted:

The entire purpose for the war was political. South Vietnam was a really lovely and oppressive government that was really unpopular, but it was a republic facing a communist invasion and thus the United States was automatically on its side. It wasn't even an American war at first, just advisers and special forces operations. The Gulf of Tonkin incident provided an excuse to start actively bombing Vietnam, then the attacks on American air bases was the excuse needed to send thousands of troops in.

The thing is, you can't really defeat an enemy that's driven by the need to defend their homes from invaders without totally wiping them out. Most of the Viet Cong didn't give two shits about the communist party's ideology and didn't exactly have a comprehensive understanding of the politics that led to the war. They viewed it as basically a continuation of the colonial wars and struggle for independence that they or their parents and grandparents had been a part of before. You can't simply push someone out of territory when that territory is where they live, and the situation was ripe for a civilian insurgency that could continue the war of attrition without the regular NVA troops participating.

There was a brief period, 20 days in 1945, where the Vietnam War likely could have been avoided by simply preventing the French from retaking the colony. Now, that would have proved disastrous to maintaining the relationships that led to NATO.

In either case, the US was involved in Vietnam well before 1961 and advisors/sf operations. Look at the amount of material aide and expertise offered to the French during the mid 50s.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

SeanBeansShako posted:

You .... could say that, but it's probably not in the way you picture it.

The Commune old Barthas is referencing is the Paris Commune, one of the early cornerstones of the communist movement, who had a strong following among the French working class. The rise of said Commune was a direct result of the loss of the Prussian war, but the real influence was the retaking of Paris by the French army, an intensely bloody and bitter affair. By the time of WWI the French armed forces have a fairly long tradition of being used as a blunt instrument to quell such things, (not just Communists, mind). As such the officers had to be reliable people, so they trend strongly towards the old school Monarchists and traditionalists, while a lot of the working class common soldiers were Republicains and Socialists/Communists. With the Dreyfus Affair and it's repercussions driving an even deeper divide between the left wing Republicains and the conservative, Catholic right wing in the years between WWI, it's not hard to see why the tensions ran high, and that's before the whole trenches and barbed wire thing.

And that's not going into the tensions between the now left-wing Republicain government and the Army, who was now considered unreliable and potentially dangerous to the continuation of the Third Republic.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

There was a brief period, 20 days in 1945, where the Vietnam War likely could have been avoided by simply preventing the French from retaking the colony. Now, that would have proved disastrous to maintaining the relationships that led to NATO.

In either case, the US was involved in Vietnam well before 1961 and advisors/sf operations. Look at the amount of material aide and expertise offered to the French during the mid 50s.

This.

Ex post facto, the US should have realized that Ho was as much a Vietnamese nationalist as he was a communist and he had no particular love for the USSR. Had we supported him (as we promised) after WWII he would have been a very useful ally in southeast Asia and he probably would have been just as irritating to the Soviets as Tito was. I can't blame the US for siding with the French as that relationship was pretty much the cornerstone of the Marshall Plan but it would have saved a lot of buttpain later on had we managed to work things out with both sides.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Considering that Ho Chi Minh was friendly to the United States in 1945 that we assisted him in fighting the Japanese in World War 2 things would have been better if we had just supported him in the first place.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

bewbies posted:

This.

Ex post facto, the US should have realized that Ho was as much a Vietnamese nationalist as he was a communist and he had no particular love for the USSR. Had we supported him (as we promised) after WWII he would have been a very useful ally in southeast Asia and he probably would have been just as irritating to the Soviets as Tito was. I can't blame the US for siding with the French as that relationship was pretty much the cornerstone of the Marshall Plan but it would have saved a lot of buttpain later on had we managed to work things out with both sides.

Ho probably would've been a more loyal ally than France, to be honest, considering France's actions later on.

Unfortunately the US spent much of the early Cold War with important services run by lunatics.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Panzeh posted:

Ho probably would've been a more loyal ally than France, to be honest, considering France's actions later on.

Unfortunately the US spent much of the early Cold War with important services run by lunatics.

Why limit that to the early Cold War? Seems like most of the Cold War that was the case.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

sullat posted:

Why limit that to the early Cold War? Seems like most of the Cold War that was the case.

Touche, sir, touche.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
one thing we learned from vietnam was that "these Ho's ain't loyal"

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Ngos before Hos

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Nahh the definitive cold war one is U Mad.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
"first the Regulars, then the Territorials, then the first parts of Kitchener's Army, then the great mass of it"

I want to know what are differences - from the name to training - of these conscription waves.

Original BEF is often described as "destroyed" or "wasted" - how many of them did survive the war?

HEY GAL posted:

the day we stopped folk-art-decorating common objects was a dark one

The day we stop calling AA guns "common objects" is a dark one :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Koesj posted:

Nahh the definitive cold war one is U Mad.

Ultimate Mutually Assured Destruction.

• Locked thread