Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
Page before most recent, weren't they building Robo's right hand (to go with his shiny new right arm) first?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
If they don't have Robo's heart yet, what is Robo running on?

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Bucnasti posted:

Please tell me that while they're redesigning Robos hands, they include the ability to use touch screens.

This is an issue with the touch screen design as much as Robo's hands, as I understand it. It was an actual recent minor breakthrough that someone came up with artificial skin for a prosthetic that would let them interact with a iphone touch screen.

...Which mostly means that Robo would need fake meat-hands to use the screen and that would be creepy.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

unseenlibrarian posted:

This is an issue with the touch screen design as much as Robo's hands, as I understand it. It was an actual recent minor breakthrough that someone came up with artificial skin for a prosthetic that would let them interact with a iphone touch screen.

...Which mostly means that Robo would need fake meat-hands to use the screen and that would be creepy.

There are stylus for capacitive touch screens, so there's gotta be a way to make non-meat work with them. Perhaps Fungus Girl can grow him a fungi based solution. :science:

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
My laptop needs a doctor dinosaur sticker. Where do I get one?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Covok posted:

If they don't have Robo's heart yet, what is Robo running on?

Before, it was a couple of car batteries. Now, he could just be plugged into the wall.

The question as I understand it is portability, not necessarily raw consumption.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Wanderer posted:

Before, it was a couple of car batteries. Now, he could just be plugged into the wall.

The question as I understand it is portability, not necessarily raw consumption.
Yup, he's just wired up right now. Batteries or a wall socket or something. It's a solution that's good enough for his current context of hanging out in a super advanced laboratory, but it's not a permanent solution that'll help him go outside and fight science monsters. It's not important or interesting how he's staying powered up right now, because whatever it is it's mundane and temporary, so we never address it directly.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Makes sense to me. Makes me wonder how it feels, as a sapient creature, to go through so many different bodies in a short time. I imagine that Robo's body was finished before Tesla gave him life.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Seems like they have some options here to circumvent the whole 'science can't do this yet' problem:

A) Hi-jack BSI/Majestic's reactor tech. Their new Osiris reactors are the best money can buy, minus the technical know-how that conveniently is present right now with Robo. They knock down one of those Titans, they can probably cobble together something Robo can use.

B) Salvage something from one of Robo's adventures. Robo has fought a lot of things that needed power sources. Edison's robot. Helsingard. Those Russian robots. Now, most of those blew up. But presumably a few could be salvageable, and could contain super-science secrets to utilize. (Ignoring the fact that putting Helsingard tech in Robo would probably be a terrible idea)

C) Crystals.

I'm guessing it's going to be (A), but I would laugh pretty hard at (C), as you guys said.

Hyperactive, how hard is going to be to put the TeslaTech genie back in the box? When Robo was running TeslaDyne, he apparently guarded that knowledge and made sure it wasn't used for large-scale weapons or anything. But since all his labs have been seized, did his replacements hoard that knowledge for themselves (to stay above their competitors) or sell it out to everyone?

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Sep 29, 2015

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Covok posted:

Makes sense to me. Makes me wonder how it feels, as a sapient creature, to go through so many different bodies in a short time. I imagine that Robo's body was finished before Tesla gave him life.
You imagine correctly!

I'm not sure what it would be like. We're discovering that the division between our nervous system and the mind is fairly fuzzy, but that's a relic of evolution and not necessarily a precondition of consciousness within a body. And over the years Robo's had parts/limbs repaired or replaced and had whole new bits/senses added to him, so it may not feel too unusual to him.

Bobulus posted:

Seems like they have some options here to circumvent the whole 'science can't do this yet' problem:
A) Keep in mind the Osiris reactor is the smallest one they've managed to build, so that's not too useful for Robo.

B) You're a little close insofar as the solution is already in the continuity.

C) Nope!

quote:

Hyperactive, how hard is going to be to put the TeslaTech genie back in the box? When Robo was running TeslaDyne, he apparently guarded that knowledge and made sure it wasn't used for large-scale weapons or anything. But since all his labs have been seized, did his replacements hoard that knowledge for themselves (to stay above their competitors) or sell it out to everyone?
Very hard! But that's by design. Our strategy going forward is to do a modern volume followed by one or two historical ones. which is basically what we've always done. But every time we come back to "now" we'll be able to jump ahead a year or two and see how things keep getting weirder in the wake of various institutions filling the vacuum left by Tesladyne being dissolved by M12 back in 2013. This is the Weird Future.

It's sort of like what we saw back in Dogs of War. Skorzeny has a bit in the epilog where he makes the case that the Nazis had to develop all those weird weapon programs that endangered the world, and still do, just in case Robo was ever deployed in Europe.

Only now any industrialized nation or megacorp has the resources to take up that work. And they're all incentivized to do so just in case any of the others do it first and beat them to the pay off.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Strangely, my mind is going back to the first issue and that weird energy source from it. I'm blanking on other places where alternative, massive energy sources were mentioned for except, maybe, the odic dimension.

Also, am I the only one hoping that Robo's head gets attached to one of those Evange--Giant Mecha for a big Giant Robo vs Biomega battle?

Also, should we expect Robo's look to change now that he's getting a new body? His new head looks sleeker.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Maybe Robo will come out of this with a newfound understanding of what it's like being a brilliant mind in a body that doesn't work and finally mend things with Stephen Hawking.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Covok posted:

Strangely, my mind is going back to the first issue and that weird energy source from it. I'm blanking on other places where alternative, massive energy sources were mentioned for except, maybe, the odic dimension.

Also, am I the only one hoping that Robo's head gets attached to one of those Evange--Giant Mecha for a big Giant Robo vs Biomega battle?

Also, should we expect Robo's look to change now that he's getting a new body? His new head looks sleeker.
Vril. Which we haven't heard much of since the first issue. Then again there's no guarantee that Helsingard was right about anything he was saying there.

Giant Robo: it's been brought up in here before a couple times, but the short answer is that's not happening. It would be super cool, that's why it leaps immediately to mind. But that's why we aren't doing it. Robo will still punch giant monsters, we just found a bigger, badder, and more action science way to do it.

Robo's bodies throughout The Ring of Fire are just to get him back on his feet -- even the "final design" on the cover to issue four. The "real" new body after that will be developed during the downtime between the end of this volume and whenever we come back to the present. Scott hasn't yet decided on that design, but I wouldn't expect any radical changes from his stock look. Robo is basically vain and likes the way he looks. It's why his design went almost unchanged from 1923 - 2013 despite many upgrades, repairs, and replacements.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Hyperactive posted:

Vril. Which we haven't heard much of since the first issue. Then again there's no guarantee that Helsingard was right about anything he was saying there.

Giant Robo: it's been brought up in here before a couple times, but the short answer is that's not happening. It would be super cool, that's why it leaps immediately to mind. But that's why we aren't doing it. Robo will still punch giant monsters, we just found a bigger, badder, and more action science way to do it.

Robo's bodies throughout The Ring of Fire are just to get him back on his feet -- even the "final design" on the cover to issue four. The "real" new body after that will be developed during the downtime between the end of this volume and whenever we come back to the present. Scott hasn't yet decided on that design, but I wouldn't expect any radical changes from his stock look. Robo is basically vain and likes the way he looks. It's why his design went almost unchanged from 1923 - 2013 despite many upgrades, repairs, and replacements.

But how will Robo react to having 4 arms and 4 legs? Will he gain an appreciation for quadrapeds?

(Yes I know it's a sendup of Da Vinci's vitruvian man)

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Hyperactive posted:

The "real" new body after that will be developed during the downtime between the end of this volume and whenever we come back to the present. Scott hasn't yet decided on that design, but I wouldn't expect any radical changes from his stock look. Robo is basically vain and likes the way he looks. It's why his design went almost unchanged from 1923 - 2013 despite many upgrades, repairs, and replacements.
Quoting myself to point out the massive spoiler: the title character survives the current volume.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I like that Robo has to specify that Phil shouldn't violate the known laws of physics.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Evil Mastermind posted:

I like that Robo has to specify that Phil shouldn't violate the known laws of physics.

Hey, if those laws worked, we couldn't have violated them: make better laws next time.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Covok posted:

Hey, if those laws worked, we couldn't have violated them: make better laws next time.

"Might as well not make any laws at all, says physicists".

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Awww yeah son, giant robots dropping from the sky!

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Bucnasti posted:

Awww yeah son, giant robots dropping from the sky!

DEATH FROM ABOVE BABY!

Let's hope the legs can take the strain.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Hyperactive posted:

Yup, he's just wired up right now. Batteries or a wall socket or something. It's a solution that's good enough for his current context of hanging out in a super advanced laboratory, but it's not a permanent solution that'll help him go outside and fight science monsters. It's not important or interesting how he's staying powered up right now, because whatever it is it's mundane and temporary, so we never address it directly.

I'd also guess that as much as anything, it's the body that takes up the power, not so much the brain? After all, there's a whole mess of metal getting moved around, thrown great distances at great speeds, and lifting incredibly heavy things to cope with.

A bit of computing takes up virtually no power by comparison.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

That was my presumption. His head could be run on a car battery alone. That's only 12v DC. Maybe 16v if they're using one of those big van batteries.

Power consumption on his body is an easy explanation why he doesn't get a Robo-Cop 3 -style built-in rocket pack or something when redesigned. Or built-in Tesla-Guns.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Bobulus posted:

That was my presumption. His head could be run on a car battery alone. That's only 12v DC. Maybe 16v if they're using one of those big van batteries.

Power consumption on his body is an easy explanation why he doesn't get a Robo-Cop 3 -style built-in rocket pack or something when redesigned. Or built-in Tesla-Guns.

Fun Fact: Robo was originally meant to have both those things. Scott quite wisely vetoed both so Robo would have fewer options available to him. Basically, if Robo only has his super strength and super durability -- y'know, "only" those -- then it's easier to get him in over his head than if he also had onboard cannons and flight. And that would make for more interesting adventures.

It was probably the moment I knew it'd be a huge mistake to keep this guy as a work-for-hire slob. And that's why we're co-creators!

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I want a panel where they open his chest to reveal a hamster on a wheel.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Duke Igthorn posted:

I want a panel where they open his chest to reveal a hamster on a wheel.

A wheel made of CRYSTALS

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

A wheel made of CRYSTALS

With a blue light. You know, for ambiance.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
You realise that every reference in the last two pages is going to result in one more issue that Hyperactive isn't going to use Dr Dinosaur?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gaz-L posted:

You realise that every reference in the last two pages is going to result in one more issue that Hyperactive isn't going to use Dr Dinosaur?

Not if he knows what's good for him.

:cracks knuckles:

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Gaz-L posted:

Naw, we wouldn't weaponize ol' Dr. Dino like that. It'd be cruel!

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
This just means that everything but his power source is made of crystals.

Atomic Robo: Made from, but not powered by, Crystals! (Crystals can't power anything, don't be ridiculous)

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Wouldn't it defeat the purpose of Robo to have weapons? He's supposed to be Tesla's great gift to the world, the virtuous Great Scientist that will protect humanity forever. I mean, he shoots a lot of monsters but that's not the point of creating him.

Covok
May 27, 2013

wiegieman posted:

Wouldn't it defeat the purpose of Robo to have weapons? He's supposed to be Tesla's great gift to the world, the virtuous Great Scientist that will protect humanity forever. I mean, he shoots a lot of monsters but that's not the point of creating him.

Depends on who he uses them on:

Tesla: "Should an intense young man or wild-eyed gentlemen ever approach you and mention the word "Tunguska", I want you to shoot them. Promise me."
Robo: "But, Mr. Tesla, you're a pacifist."
Tesla: "Yes, Robo. But you are not."

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

One of the finest pieces of dialogue in comics.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Robo has hands and is wearing pants! PROGRESS!

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Bucnasti posted:

But is he sealed against insidious insectoid invasion? That is true measure of Progress.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Bucnasti posted:

This made me wonder the oddest thing: Does Robo wear clothes and feel embarrassed naked because Tesla programmed him to feel that way or because he learned that behavior from his environment, if you ever gave this thought?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Covok posted:

This made me wonder the oddest thing: Does Robo wear clothes and feel embarrassed naked because Tesla programmed him to feel that way or because he learned that behavior from his environment, if you ever gave this thought?

I want to say Hyperactive's mentioned in the past that Robo wears clothing as a way of establishing that he is in fact a person.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Wanderer posted:

I want to say Hyperactive's mentioned in the past that Robo wears clothing as a way of establishing that he is in fact a person.

While that does make sense, I remember he seemed embarrassed in scrubs because his rear end was hanging out so, even if that was the original reason, it certainly has bled into his way of thinking about himself.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Wanderer posted:

I wouldn't say he wears clothes as a specific act of personhood. Rather, Robo is a person, so he wears clothes for all the same reasons the rest of us do: comfort and style and not wanting to be naked in front of everybody else.

It's not really a matter of being programmed to feel that way. You just pick it up pretty quickly when you live in a society that emphasizes clothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Yeah, I'd think that Robo's clothes wearing would be more for establishing to everyone else that he is a person.

• Locked thread