Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

40 Proof Listerine posted:

EDIT: So I wrote entirely too many words about unannounced receiver quirks over on the Arc Forums. For all the bright-eyed newbies that build go fast ARs instead of M4Xs / AK470s. Plan to turn it into a Steam Guide at some point.

That's an epic post! They really should consider it for a sticky!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reznor
Jan 15, 2006

Hot dinosnail action.
I have really been enjoying playing again. I hadn't played since before the drought. What is good to blow :10bux: on? is the robot friend any good?

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Probably depends a lot on what you have already, what level you are, and what's on sale. I haven't used the assault bot or seen it used much, but the one time someone was using the assault bot it seemed reasonably decent. However that was on Decay and if it functions like the Practice Mode AI robots do I think it would only really be useful on maps like that because they only open fire at close range. I myself may break down and buy the Gunman hardsuit with cash because it has owned pretty hard when I've been able to flare-gun people out of it (and leveling is so slow), but I also worry I'd end up annoying people with it a bit too much. :(

Otoh I've been fairly shameless about racking up kills with a 200 damage incendiary BAR so maybe I should just lean into being That Guy

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

The gunman is pretty cool and is downright mean on helodeck/decay. Move from depot to depot so noone gets to buy a stinger and just shoot mans.

If you don't have the HAR and if they changed the unlock level to something crazy then that's also a good buy.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I decided to play again, hooray

The leveling is still painful slow and since I'm on a laptop I need to use a controller, oh no

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Improbable Lobster posted:

I decided to play again, hooray

The leveling is still painful slow and since I'm on a laptop I need to use a controller, oh no

...couldn't you just plug a mouse into an available USB port? I'm trying to imagine a scenario where getting a controller set up to work with a laptop is somehow less work than using a keyboard/mouse and just drawing a total blank. Even if I was using the laptop on a giant living room TV that I was sitting well away from, I'd still just get a wireless mouse & keyboard before even considering playing a PC FPS on a controller.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

LGD posted:

...couldn't you just plug a mouse into an available USB port? I'm trying to imagine a scenario where getting a controller set up to work with a laptop is somehow less work than using a keyboard/mouse and just drawing a total blank. Even if I was using the laptop on a giant living room TV that I was sitting well away from, I'd still just get a wireless mouse & keyboard before even considering playing a PC FPS on a controller.

Yeah I am confused. I play on a laptop with mouse.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

Reznor posted:

I have really been enjoying playing again. I hadn't played since before the drought. What is good to blow :10bux: on? is the robot friend any good?
Robot friend is hilarious, but not super effective. He needs buddies to avoid getting focused down; if left unshot he's basically a smarter bot from the Practice menu.

It's a shame he's unlocked so late, it'd be hilarious to get a goon stack to just spam the hell out of them.

Personal opinion on best way to spend :10bux: when starting out:
  • Random Helmet Pack (300 ZEN)
  • Backpack of Choice (400 ZEN, 280 if on sale) - HRV Cloak recommended due to high level unlock, Barricade as second choice personally.
  • Random Receiver Packs x3 (300 ZEN); or until out of funbucks.

If spending :20bux:; use the next 1000 ZEN like so:
  • Random Armor Pack up to x3 (300 - 450 ZEN) ; enough to get at least one top and bottom armor piece
  • Pretty Princess camo color (250 ZEN)
  • Pretty Princess gun camo color (250 ZEN, 150 on sale)
  • Random Receiver Packs with the rest.

The random helmet pack is pretty great since all the helmets in there are good and several are not buyable with GP. You also have a good chance of getting one of the 500-ZEN user-made helmets at a discount. I got the Polaris and Recluse and the Explosive Resistance helmet out of three boxes, so that was :10bux: well spent there.

Getting a couple armor pieces is also a good deal so you can mix and match for a variety of armor builds (e.g. heavy to light). It's optional, though - renting a piece is easy to do.

The receiver packs are the best deal since 100 ZEN for 7000 GP is about the best ratio you'll get, and the receivers make the biggest difference in the gunplay.

40 Proof Listerine fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Oct 1, 2015

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

LGD posted:

I don't have a mouse and until I go and buy a mouse I am stuck with a gamepad

Is that so complicated

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Improbable Lobster posted:

I don't have a mouse and until I go and buy a mouse I am stuck with a gamepad

Is that so complicated

No, but that problem is called "I don't have a mouse" and/or "I'm a masochist" not "I play on a laptop" :v:

I would strongly recommend going and buying one ASAP unless you're on deployment or an oil derrick or something

Glad you're playing though, the game is rad and needs more people!

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

SwitchbladeKult posted:

That's an epic post! They really should consider it for a sticky!
I'm in the process of converting it to a Steam Guide, which isn't too hard with some strategic Find -> Replace action.

Anyone mind if I borrow screen shots of blinged receivers from the OP? Will throw credit to relevant and all goons.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

I am out of things I want to buy I think after the revive pack. Level 41.

I don't want to really start buying more receivers because UGH paying for parts one at a time but I suppose I will? I mean at this point I don't think I'm missing anything really great in the other categories. 5 weapon slots. All 2 gear slot armor. Some nice scopes, except the light blue chevron holo but whatever.

Any suggestions as to what I should be looking to buy? I'm down for suggested shopping lists.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

I'm in the process of converting it to a Steam Guide, which isn't too hard with some strategic Find -> Replace action.

Anyone mind if I borrow screen shots of blinged receivers from the OP? Will throw credit to relevant and all goons.

You may use anything I've posted.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Holy poo poo. My slapped together BAR with 200 damage is ugly as sin.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

No problem, I'll be happy to see them used :)

Artificer posted:

I am out of things I want to buy I think after the revive pack. Level 41.

I don't want to really start buying more receivers because UGH paying for parts one at a time but I suppose I will? I mean at this point I don't think I'm missing anything really great in the other categories. 5 weapon slots. All 2 gear slot armor. Some nice scopes, except the light blue chevron holo but whatever.

Any suggestions as to what I should be looking to buy? I'm down for suggested shopping lists.
How's your gear slot item selection? There's some fun stuff in there, the holodecoy being probably my favorite.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

NihilCredo posted:

How's your gear slot item selection? There's some fun stuff in there, the holodecoy being probably my favorite.

I sort of want the decoy! I believe it's out of my reach levelwise unfortunately.

Tactical Gearwise I have: Barricade, Heal Injector 1, Cloak 1, Firewall Breach Kit

Gearwise: HRV Blackout, HE Grenade, Machete, Shock Grenade, Breach Hammer, Stun Mine (ran out of things to buy a while earlier), Stun Shuriken, Throwing Knives, Toxic Protection, Proximity Mine, Toxic Grenade

Receivers: SMG, LMG, CR, BFSMG, M4X, BFR, BAR, BPFA, AK470, AMR, HAR, TSMG

All armors with 2 gear slots plus a few other things.

Sniper helmet, Foxcat helmet. None really worth mentioning.

Any other suggestions? Once I buy the revive pack I guess I could start buying additional scopes and parts for some of the guns I like. Rebuying poo poo entirely for an entirely new receiver, I don't quite feel like doing right now since that kinda feels lovely despite the fact that parts are pretty darn cheap.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

NihilCredo posted:

Thanks!

We are live:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=527636648

Artificer posted:

I sort of want the decoy! I believe it's out of my reach levelwise unfortunately.

Tactical Gearwise I have: Barricade, Heal Injector 1, Cloak 1, Firewall Breach Kit

Gearwise: HRV Blackout, HE Grenade, Machete, Shock Grenade, Breach Hammer, Stun Mine (ran out of things to buy a while earlier), Stun Shuriken, Throwing Knives, Toxic Protection, Proximity Mine, Toxic Grenade

Any other suggestions? Once I buy the revive pack I guess I could start buying additional scopes and parts for some of the guns I like. Rebuying poo poo entirely for an entirely new receiver, I don't quite feel like doing right now since that kinda feels lovely despite the fact that parts are pretty darn cheap.
Depot items are good to pick up - Swarm Rockets and the Bear Claw are pretty fun to screw around with in a fifth slot.

Seconding the Holo Decoy option - you can do some fun fakeouts with it.

Helmet-wise, any of the 25% armor options are good buys if you don't mind a little less on your HRV charge. Rocket League helmet if you don't have it is good for go fast builds.

Secondary receivers are fun to play with - shotgun or machine pistol if you don't already have; S-AR-k if you do. BLP is best loaded pistol, but might unlock hella late.

Not sure what level the TAR unlocks, but that's a solid buy for a primary.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Thanks!

We are live:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=527636648
Depot items are good to pick up - Swarm Rockets and the Bear Claw are pretty fun to screw around with in a fifth slot.

Seconding the Holo Decoy option - you can do some fun fakeouts with it.

Helmet-wise, any of the 25% armor options are good buys if you don't mind a little less on your HRV charge. Rocket League helmet if you don't have it is good for go fast builds.

Secondary receivers are fun to play with - shotgun or machine pistol if you don't already have; S-AR-k if you do. BLP is best loaded pistol, but might unlock hella late.

Not sure what level the TAR unlocks, but that's a solid buy for a primary.

Thanks! I have Swarm and Bear Claw already, I think.

I'll take a look at the helmets sometime. S-ARK is beyond me, as is the BLP, but they're on my shopping list too. What's the TAR good for again?

Edit: Oh right your effortpost!

Artificer fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Oct 1, 2015

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Artificer posted:

What's the TAR good for again?
TAR is a higher damage HAR with exmags by default and the ability to take quick mags.

It's got jacked up recoil compared to the HAR, but for spamming high-damage bullets it's pretty ace with a closed scope. It also has 50% usual speed bonuses / penalties so you wind up running way faster with the TAR than with a heavy HAR build.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

TAR is a higher damage HAR with exmags by default and the ability to take quick mags.

It's got jacked up recoil compared to the HAR, but for spamming high-damage bullets it's pretty ace with a closed scope. It also has 50% usual speed bonuses / penalties so you wind up running way faster with the TAR than with a heavy HAR build.

Yeah, your effortpost summed it up pretty well! I'm definitely interested and will take a look.

Maddot_66
Apr 4, 2007
Take the bomb to C, C Dammit!!

:dukedog:

Artificer posted:

Explosive tomahawk is pretty pro and gets a lot of pubbie hate.

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

Maddot_66 posted:

Explosive tomahawk is pretty pro and gets a lot of pubbie hate.

It gets a lot of my hate too, MADDOT! :argh:

Maddot_66
Apr 4, 2007

Gaghskull posted:

It gets a lot of my hate too, MADDOT! :argh:

Like I said, pubbie hate. :smug:

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!

Maddot_66 posted:

:vince:

Reznor
Jan 15, 2006

Hot dinosnail action.

Robot friend is hilarious, but not super effective. He needs buddies to avoid getting focused down; if left unshot he's basically a smarter bot from the Practice menu.

So far I am looking at

exploding tomahawk 210
loadout 3 250
Breach pistol 150

I am torn between robuddy and just sitting on the z till other hilarious things come on sale.

Reznor
Jan 15, 2006

Hot dinosnail action.
doubble post

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Maddot_66 posted:

:iceburn:

Edit:
Speaking of burns, here is another video I put together. This time I'm showing ClassyLady how the BFSMG works. I also put together a very mean LMG.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jlK5_PUIBI

SwitchbladeKult fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Oct 2, 2015

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009
Keep in mind that there are people who are shockingly bad at this game. Like, "how do you even use a computer" bad.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

SwitchbladeKult posted:

:iceburn:

Edit:
Speaking of burns, here is another video I put together. This time I'm showing ClassyLady how the BFSMG works. I also put together a very mean LMG.

What were your builds for those?

Edit: I wonder why my sights for the Shotgun are heavily misaligned? I wonder what else is misaligned?

Edit: I have no idea how long 86 meters is. It seems like most maps other than Evac and Containment are about as long as maybe an American football field? I built a BFR with 0.17 ADS spread and one with 0.23 ADS spread. I wonder how substantial of a difference that is. Nevermind though since the 0.23 ADS spread one uses a suppressor and the BFR sounds really odd with it.

Artificer fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Oct 2, 2015

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Artificer posted:

Edit: I wonder why my sights for the Shotgun are heavily misaligned? I wonder what else is misaligned?

Edit: I have no idea how long 86 meters is. It seems like most maps other than Evac and Containment are about as long as maybe an American football field? I built a BFR with 0.17 ADS spread and one with 0.23 ADS spread. I wonder how substantial of a difference that is. Nevermind though since the 0.23 ADS spread one uses a suppressor and the BFR sounds really odd with it.

You can calculate the spread as long as you define a range to your target with the sine function.
At 50m your 0.17 spread gun will hit within ~15cm of where you point while your 0.23 spread gun will hit within ~20cm.

50 meters is pretty long in BLR so only fuss over second decimals of spread angles if they ever make high-damage BARs inaccurate again :v:

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

Maddot_66 posted:

You just wait until the day I get my sword. There's no stopping the fattest samurai!

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
So can I only unlock something permanently if I have Prime? Is that the case for everything?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Lima posted:

You can calculate the spread as long as you define a range to your target with the sine function.
At 50m your 0.17 spread gun will hit within ~15cm of where you point while your 0.23 spread gun will hit within ~20cm.

50 meters is pretty long in BLR so only fuss over second decimals of spread angles if they ever make high-damage BARs inaccurate again :v:

Cool. I'll try the silencer again then and see if it makes the gun feel any better.

It, combined with the extended barrel, makes my BFR look ridiculously long though. :v:

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

Stringbean posted:

So can I only unlock something permanently if I have Prime? Is that the case for everything?

Or if you pay for it with real money I believe. Prime means you can use the ingame currency to perm unlock.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Artificer posted:

The BFSMG only lets you change the muzzle. I'm using the max damage "Powerbreak" muzzle. I don't suggest you try this though since the BFSMG is without question the worst gun in the game.

My LMG is the Two-step, Krane Assault, and the stock formal known as the Vulcan ACP-3 Collapsible. I don't know it's new name. This LMG build is mean and I love it!

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

SwitchbladeKult posted:

The BFSMG only lets you change the muzzle. I'm using the max damage "Powerbreak" muzzle. I don't suggest you try this though since the BFSMG is without question the worst gun in the game.

My LMG is the Two-step, Krane Assault, and the stock formal known as the Vulcan ACP-3 Collapsible. I don't know it's new name. This LMG build is mean and I love it!

Cool, thanks!

Also I'm a scrub who I think just got his first Professional Killer going 18/5 on Crash Site. Wooo! Also I switched back to the 0.17 ADS BFR because the silencer on the BFR makes it sound awful. Really grating on the nerves. Reminds me of rubbing styrofoam together for whatever reason.

And yeah wow you really do never ADS, huh?

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Artificer posted:

Cool, thanks!

Also I'm a scrub who I think just got his first Professional Killer going 18/5 on Crash Site. Wooo! Also I switched back to the 0.17 ADS BFR because the silencer on the BFR makes it sound awful. Really grating on the nerves. Reminds me of rubbing styrofoam together for whatever reason.

And yeah wow you really do never ADS, huh?

No problem!

Congrats on the Professional Killer! I don't see how you did that on Crash Site. I hardly ever do well on that map. I like the sound the BFR makes when silenced. :shrug:

I don't like to ADS. I do it when I have to, see the LMG bits of that last video, but I avoid it when I can. This is exactly why I prefer to guns like the SMG and BFR. Maddot also seems to think this is why I suck with the AK470 and he's right :ssh: .

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

SwitchbladeKult posted:

No problem!

Congrats on the Professional Killer! I don't see how you did that on Crash Site. I hardly ever do well on that map. I like the sound the BFR makes when silenced. :shrug:

I don't like to ADS. I do it when I have to, see the LMG bits of that last video, but I avoid it when I can. This is exactly why I prefer to guns like the SMG and BFR. Maddot also seems to think this is why I suck with the AK470 and he's right :ssh: .

I think it was helped by the fact that there weren't too many snipers on either team turning every outside area into murder zones and the few snipers around were also slow to aim at you. I can see why not adsing is nice. The strafing can really help against dodging the aim of players who might hit you easily if you were doing the ads shuffle.

I think the silenced BFR has that little shrill sound to the end of the firing sound that sends shivers up my spine in the worst way.

Maddot_66
Apr 4, 2007

Gaghskull posted:

Or if you pay for it with real money I believe. Prime means you can use the ingame currency to perm unlock.

There are also rotating sale items that temporarily become GP unlockable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

SwitchbladeKult posted:

No problem!

Crash Site is pretty easy to get Professional Killer on if you play the part of one of snipers, I need to set up a recording solution so I can post video of me going Beast Mode instead of you splattering me all over the place with the BFSMG. :( If your team can hold the smaller 2 story structure that's down the hill you can dominate the map pretty easily with a BAR. Just have a good short range weapon for people who make it inside (one of the shotguns) and camp mercilessly. You have good visibility of all the major approaches, and can totally gently caress anybody unfortunate enough to spawn in the building across the yard because they can't leave their spawn without giving you a shot at them. Having one or more competent people doing the same thing is a real help because you can get proper prox mine coverage and it really reduces the effectiveness of multiple man rushes or speed build flankers.

• Locked thread