Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qirex
Feb 15, 2001

much like the iphone, the tonitine will create a new market for associated services so who wants to stat the uber of contract killing with me?

edit p.s. fbi I am joking no hax plz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
much like the iphone, someone else did it first

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

In a tontine, the longer you live, the larger your profits — but you are profiting precisely off other people’s deaths. Even in their heyday, tontines were regarded as somewhat repugnant for this reason.

Now, a growing chorus of economists and lawyers is wondering if the world wasn’t too hasty in turning its back on tontines. These financial arrangements, they say, have aspects that make a lot of sense despite their history of disrepute.

loll this is great

ah yes, a financial scheme that directly encourages murder

what a great idea

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

qirex posted:

much like the iphone, the tonitine will create a new market for associated services so who wants to stat the uber of contract killing with me?

i think you're meant to do it like a death pool market

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Improbable Lobster posted:

ah yes, a financial scheme that directly encourages murder

what a great idea

no, the article is great b/c it explains how and why it was repugnant, even at the peak of its popularity, and then immediately does a 180

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

okay so what happened was HLN was trying to book al-Jazeera user John Hendren (@johnhendren) but the producer booked Jon Hendren (@fart) instead

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

Luigi Thirty posted:

okay so what happened was HLN was trying to book al-Jazeera user John Hendren (@johnhendren) but the producer booked Jon Hendren (@fart) instead

this story keeps getting better

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Luigi Thirty posted:

they took the video down is there another of it somewhere

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

haha

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

if it's not been posted already: yelp for people

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Luigi Thirty posted:

lol

seriously though?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Vlad the Retailer posted:

lol i had this idea a few years ago. i even called it 'people yelp'

also:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...t-tech-company/

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
the clip is brilliant

@fart deadpans the entire time, slowly explaining that edward snowden didnt choose to have scissors for hands and that the townspeople liked him when he was turning their bushes into elephants so they should stop hassling him and let him come out of vincent prices castle

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

quote:

Today is a really great day.

In this video, HLN anchor Yasmin Vossoughian dials up Jon Hendren, known by his Twitter handle @fart, for a segment on America’s best top fugitive Edward Snowden’s recent appearance on Twitter. Hendren is introduced as a Snowden supporter.

He plays it straight at first, when Vossoughian asks him why Snowden’s account is allowed while ISIS accounts have been shut down. “He’s been isolated for so long,” says Hendren. “We should listen to what he says.”

Then, after showing a John Oliver clip, Vossoughian goes on. “There is classified information out there that John Oliver was referring to,” she says, “that was released, that could have feasibly harmed people.”

“Well, you know, to say that he couldn’t harm somebody with what he did—he could, absolutely, he could,” says Hendren. “But to cast him out, to make him invalid in society simply because he has scissors for hands—I mean, that’s strange. People didn’t get scared until he started sculpting shrubs into dinosaur shapes and whatnot.”

“Now, Snowden’s living in Russia,” the anchor continues, seamlessly. “Some people say it’s hypocritical that Snowden has asylum in Russia. Russia has a lot of human rights violations.”

@fart continues: “Casting him out is completely wrong. We’re treating him like an animal, somebody who should be quarantined and put away. Just because he was created on top of a mountain by Vincent Price, and incomplete, with scissors for hands and no heart...Edward Scissorhands is a complete hero to me.”

“But what about the choice he made to live in a country like Russia?” asks the anchor, who’s either mid-stroke, 100 percent not listening, or doing the most professional job in the world.

“I mean, where else is he going to go? You know?” asks Hendren. “We cast him out. We got scared when he poked a hole in a waterbed with his scissor fingers, and that was unreasonable of us.”

“Well, Jon,” says Vossoughian, “I appreciate you giving us your opinion.”

http://jezebel.com/olympic-level-troll-hijacks-hln-segment-on-edward-snowd-1733833133 has a working video

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

Oh it requires you to have an established facebook account in order to leave a review? well i see no way for this to be gamed

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

hahahah

thanks for the video of bojack horsewoman being confused

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Luigi Thirty posted:

no way

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Luigi Thirty posted:

ok now it's actually funny

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

lol i had this idea a few years ago. i even called it 'people yelp'

also:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...t-tech-company/

Baron-Cohen says the autistic are interested in what’s called first principles, fundamental rules used to inform their decisions. First principle-thinking happens to be a tactic Elon Musk, the innovative leader of Tesla and SpaceX, says has contributed to his success.

hehe

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Baron-Cohen says the autistic are interested in what’s called first principles, fundamental rules used to inform their decisions. First principle-thinking happens to be a tactic Elon Musk, the innovative leader of Tesla and SpaceX, says has contributed to his success.

hehe

that's borat's dad IRL

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Beast of Bourbon posted:

that's borat's dad IRL

cousin actually

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
thread getting weird

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Beast of Bourbon posted:

that's borat's dad IRL

brother, i thought?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

holy gently caress

A bubbly, no-holds-barred “trendy lady” with a marketing degree and two recruiting companies, Cordray sees no reason you wouldn’t want to “showcase your character” online. Co-founder Nicole McCullough comes at the app from a different angle: As a mother of two in an era when people don’t always know their neighbors, she wanted something to help her decide whom to trust with her kids.

Update: This story has been updated to remove a reference to Peeple users being unable to remove inaccurate reviews. While Peeple co-founder Julia Cordray told the Post in an interview that users would not be able to contest reviews after they went live, she later clarified by email that users can “report anything they deem inaccurate” to the site.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

quote:

1. City Council request Uber to stop operating in the City of Toronto until such time as the Executive Director, Municipal Licensing and Standards reports on a framework to regulate alternate ground transportation providers.

2. City Council request the Executive Director, Municipal Licensing and Standards to report to the January 22, 2016 meeting of the Licensing and Standards Committee on the framework.

yea 24
nay 20

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Pinterest Mom posted:

yea 24
nay 20

el oh el

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Pinterest Mom posted:

yea 24
nay 20

yesssssss

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Pinterest Mom posted:

yea 24
nay 20

took long enough

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

i'm happy to see our world continuing to transform into an episode of Black Mirror

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

hobbesmaster posted:

presumably that is a version sold only in the bay area

i mean tesla uses phabricator if i recall? if so, the memes built right into their code review system, so it's probably easy to get desensitized.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

this is the same company that wanted to sell cars in S-E-X models, but couldn't because Ford beat them to "Model E"

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
lol if your car doesn't have a biological warfare mode

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Condiv posted:

this car looks super poo poo for something that's supposed to be for rich people

but enough about all luxury cars for the last 10 years

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012
dont know if this goes here but my shameful bubble coattail-riding town is having their either 2nd or 3rd annual 'tech innovation' convention, this year's speaker is apparently going to talk about how video games can cure depression:

http://www.metroactive.com/features/C2SV-Jane-McGonigal-Superbetter-Video-Games.html

quote:

Reality is Broken: Why Games Make Us Better and How They Can Change the World, was Jane McGonigal's first book, and it turned her into an instant star at tech gatherings like South by Southwest and TED.

:cripes:

they had john mcafee last year

tl,dr; lady concusses herself into depression on a cabinet door, then visualizes herself as a video game character to "game" her way back to health, is now headlining tech conference

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Pinterest Mom posted:

yea 24
nay 20

gee i just can't imagine why uber is hemorrhaging money

at this point what percent of their total operating costs are going towards paying fines for working illegally in different cites/countries

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i'm looking at you porsche

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

came to post this and say 'gently caress everything'

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
ya

there is no way this wont just be smear and libel

pissed off at your SO? just write scathing bullshit about them that can never be erased

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

crusader_complex posted:

dont know if this goes here but my shameful bubble coattail-riding town is having their either 2nd or 3rd annual 'tech innovation' convention, this year's speaker is apparently going to talk about how video games can cure depression:

she is the Malcolm Gladwell of videogame academics. so... perfect for bullshit, puff-piece conferences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Vicas posted:

gee i just can't imagine why uber is hemorrhaging money

at this point what percent of their total operating costs are going towards paying fines for working illegally in different cites/countries

if what happened in india is any indication $0

• Locked thread