Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

pienipple posted:

And Spock tenderly touching the hot pocket monster

Holy poo poo, I remember that episode because Bones actually says "Dammit Jim, I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Holy poo poo, I remember that episode because Bones actually says "Dammit Jim, I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!"

There's a better one where he says "Dammit Jim, I'm a doctor, not an escalator!"

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Avenging_Mikon posted:

That was also the first episode that he used that phrase in

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm hearing something about Activision promoting the next Call of Duty with a realistic looking live tweet terrorist attack hoax. I haven't been able to find any news articles on this yet. Anyone know anything about this?

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

CommonShore posted:

I'm hearing something about Activision promoting the next Call of Duty with a realistic looking live tweet terrorist attack hoax. I haven't been able to find any news articles on this yet. Anyone know anything about this?

http://www.neowin.net/news/activision-criticized-after-fabricating-terrorist-attack-online-to-promote-call-of-duty

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I think the alien in that episode was the most low budget thing they ever did outside of just having mobster aliens. It was literally just someone undulating under a blanket painted with orange "lava" spots.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

quote:

Almost universally, responses to the tweets were negative, with many stating that they would cancel their pre-order, as a result of this fiasco.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

davidspackage posted:

I think the alien in that episode was the most low budget thing they ever did outside of just having mobster aliens. It was literally just someone undulating under a blanket painted with orange "lava" spots.

The viking/barbarian looking dude from the first episode who made dinosaur noises, he looked like they had to throw together a "monster" in 5 minutes using whatever was in the "no one wants these lovely props" bin.

TOS Klingons are just dudes in gold shirts and a shitload of bronzer + fu manchu mustaches if they remembered they were doing that.

I have a lingering love of the original crap special effects + models, but the new space shots and touch up work they did for the remastered versions is pretty decent. They showed admirable restraint, mostly using it where it actually improved things (like painting out the Gorn's zipper and making his eyes look better) than pulling a Star Wars SE and pasting in poo poo that didn't mesh.

pienipple has a new favorite as of 21:59 on Sep 30, 2015

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

pienipple posted:

The viking/barbarian looking dude from the first episode who made dinosaur noises, he looked like they had to throw together a "monster" in 5 minutes using whatever was in the "no one wants these lovely props" bin.

TOS Klingons are just dudes in gold shirts and a shitload of bronzer + fu manchu mustaches if they remembered they were doing that.

I have a lingering love of the original crap special effects + models, but the new space shots and touch up work they did for the remastered versions is pretty decent. They showed admirable restraint, mostly using it where it actually improved things (like painting out the Gorn's zipper and making his eyes look better) than pulling a Star Wars SE and pasting in poo poo that didn't mesh.

Yeah. I've slowly been going through them when I feel like it on Netflix, and it actually took me a couple episodes to realize they had the updated versions on there. That's some impressive CG if you can fool my eyes totally. I mean heck, it takes me a little bit out of it everytime I've seen it on Futurama even.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

I was part of that boycott and MW1 is still my newest CoD game. :colbert:

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

:lol: way to miss the best one in the series

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Good job sticking to your principles you loving nerd.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

I love unicorn dog.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Grey Fox posted:

:lol: way to miss the best one in the series

I just said I have the first Modern Warfare.

swims
May 5, 2014

Waiter, this band keeps shooting pearls at me.
Guy never shot a MW2 M14...sad.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

They don't pretend Spot is anything other than a cat.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I just said I have the first Modern Warfare.
Denial is the first stage of grief when faced with undeniable tragedy.

It's ok. Be strong. We'll get through this together.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Wells and Welles just high-fived in hell

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Spot has a...slight tendency to be a different cat entirely every time she's on screen.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Micro-pancakery. That is somehow not a parody and is in fact something someone put on a real product.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Inspector Gesicht posted:

There was one episode where she turned into an iguana.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Micro-pancakery. That is somehow not a parody and is in fact something someone put on a real product.

Is it refering to Birch Benders being a pancakery that is small? I know, still dumb

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

sweeperbravo posted:

Is it refering to Birch Benders being a pancakery that is small? I know, still dumb

Calling a food company "micro-whatever" is twee as gently caress, but it ain't bad marketing. Particularly when you're playing up the healthy or natural angle.

Americans Do Not Trust Large Companies To Produce Natural Food Products Study posted:

According to the study, 75 percent of Americans said that when it comes to producing all-natural products, they trust small, independent companies over large, established ones. Consumers also associate natural foods brands with independent ownership. Seventy-percent believe that most natural foods brands are independent, while 30 percent believe they are owned by large companies.

Summary is here, full poll results are here.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
olive garden didn't realize that there's a regional english language in which

boto is a filipino-derived slang for dick

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

The White Dragon posted:

That's buto, which usually means "bone".

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

It's also short for botulism.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Well yeah, it's a slang in a separate language that's only based on the original word, not the actual Filipino word itself :eng101:

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

The White Dragon posted:

What the hell does BOTO even mean? Is this a case of a giant corporation trying to invent "hip slang" that the kids will just love? McDonald's is famous for that poo poo.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
BOTO is meant to be like BOGO -- an initialism for "buy one, get one [free]" which entered the mainstream advertising lexicon over the last ten years -- in this case meaning "buy one, take one [home to eat later]"

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

Anything to get the taste of olive garden out of your mouth.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
To be fair, a lot of things are slang for dick in tagalog. I have a friend named Titi (diminutive of Constantin) and we met some Filipinos at a party once and...

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

bobjr posted:

This is a real thing too.

Wanted to buy a case as a gag gift but it's ludicrously expensive

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

sweeperbravo posted:

It's a play on micro-brewery, but for pancake batter mix, literally one of the simplest things possible to make that isn't just a single ingredient.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Just this week the new Deus Ex game completely scrapped their Augment Your Pre-Order campaign after backlash on the internet, in June Warner Bros pulled Arkham Knight off of Steam entirely in response to complaints about the broken port, and as lovely as Hatred was it was re-added to Steam entirely because people on the internet complained. But by all means don't let that stop you from posting that picture for the zillionth time, it's just as funny as it was six years ago.

hackbunny posted:

Wanted to buy a case as a gag gift but it's ludicrously expensive

All these novelty internet soda and energy drinks are usually the exact same generic brand that will sell orders with custom labels if you buy in bulk. It's why Kickstarter bans them even though there's a depressing number of people on the internet willing to pay out the rear end for a beverage because the title is a dadjoke that shows off the nerdy subculture they belong to.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

It's a play on micro-brewery, but for pancake batter mix, literally one of the simplest things possible to make that isn't just a single ingredient.

I read it as them taking the piss out of mice-brewery snobbery, which is a very worthy endeavor.

To contribute: Burning Man is threatening to sue Quiznos for making an ad/Maze Runner parody video that makes fun of Burning Man's corporate influences, because nothing says "cool laid-back counterculture art event" quite like busting out the lawyers in the name of maintaining your brand's integrity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBVBHRD5lNU

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
That's a weird loving ad. I mean, I know Quiznos is known for their weird loving ads, but that was bizarre.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Sleeveless posted:

Just this week the new Deus Ex game completely scrapped their Augment Your Pre-Order campaign after backlash on the internet, in June Warner Bros pulled Arkham Knight off of Steam entirely in response to complaints about the broken port, and as lovely as Hatred was it was re-added to Steam entirely because people on the internet complained. But by all means don't let that stop you from posting that picture for the zillionth time, it's just as funny as it was six years ago.
It's funny because it's people saying they're boycotting a game while still actually buying and playing it. What does that have to do with anything you just said?

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Tiggum posted:

It's funny because it's people saying they're boycotting a game while still actually buying and playing it. What does that have to do with anything you just said?

Well I think he thought you were saying that Internet activism with video games is dumb and ineffectual so he responded with examples where people on the Internet complaining about video games did have an affect. My takeaway is that it might have an effect if it's not literally something like "we want dedicated servers".

Sleeveless posted:

I read it as them taking the piss out of mice-brewery snobbery, which is a very worthy endeavor.

Would totally drink beer brewed in small batches by snobbish mice though.

jojoinnit has a new favorite as of 13:01 on Oct 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
Yeah, the point wasn't "internet activism doesn't work", it's that a lot of internet "activism" is just a toothless show to make the people doing it look good. Join a "Boycott MW2" group so people can see you're angry, then keep playing MW2. Likewise, what percentage of the people who SAID they were canceling their Call of Duty pre-order over Activision's publicity stunt do you think will actually cancel? My guess is single-digit percentages, if not single-digit total cancellations.