Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Digital_Jesus posted:

I'm super happy about my fuckoff knuckle protection because taking a rock to the hand on the freeway would loving blow dicks. Same for knee armor, Shin protection, and helmets.

I cracked a traffic cone with my shin at around 40 last month. Glad I actually wore my riding boots that day instead of riding shoes. Even through the boot the impact was pretty substantial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Had my neuropsych eval today and did well; the doc said that I'd be cleared for driving but that my arm is still slung.

That was some intense ~2 hours of testing. Like doing the ACTs again or something.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

captainOrbital posted:

Had my neuropsych eval today and did well; the doc said that I'd be cleared for driving but that my arm is still slung.

That was some intense ~2 hours of testing. Like doing the ACTs again or something.

What kind of questions did they ask?

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
It was a lot of stuff. Look at these 50 pictures for 3 seconds each, and then look at pairs of pictures. Tell me which one of the pair was in the previous set of 50.
I will say 10 words, repeat them back to me. Same with lists of numbers. Copy this elaborate geometrical drawing, now do it from memory a half hour later. Remember that list of words still? Tell me as many words as you can think of that begin with the letter T. Name as many animals as you can. Now alternate fruits and pieces of furniture. Draw that shape again. Do these mazes with a pencil.

And so on.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

So did you fail practically all of the tests like a normal person or are you going to be living in a basement doing data analysis for the CIA from now on?

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
It wasn't that bad, just a bit draining. I'm glad they didn't ask me any math poo poo like they did at the hospital.

"Count backwards from 100 by sevens."

I got as far as 93.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

captainOrbital posted:

It was a lot of stuff. Look at these 50 pictures for 3 seconds each, and then look at pairs of pictures. Tell me which one of the pair was in the previous set of 50.
I will say 10 words, repeat them back to me. Same with lists of numbers. Copy this elaborate geometrical drawing, now do it from memory a half hour later. Remember that list of words still? Tell me as many words as you can think of that begin with the letter T. Name as many animals as you can. Now alternate fruits and pieces of furniture. Draw that shape again. Do these mazes with a pencil.

And so on.

My brain is (arguably) functional and I'd be able to do approximately none of these things.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

Don't know what happened, riding home from work on the motorway, doing 80km/h felt like the back wheel ran over something or slipped or something then it high sided me.

I have no idea, I was going in a straight line not changing speed. it was dark and had been sprinkling so maybe I ran over something or whatever.
I slid across 3 lanes of traffic and nobody hit me so I'm just glad to be alive

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ugh. The worst kind of crash. Goondolences.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I'm really sorry to see that pretty bike get all torn up, but am glad you are ok. You are very fortunate. I know the type of crash you had firsthand, and definitely know the feeling of "Wait...I'm crashing?! I wasn't even doing anything!".

Hopefully the insurance company is good to you, at least.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Super lovely :( you gonna try and fix the bike?

cheesebot
Jul 21, 2002

I cheesebot

theperminator posted:

Don't know what happened, riding home from work on the motorway, doing 80km/h felt like the back wheel ran over something or slipped or something then it high sided me.

I have no idea, I was going in a straight line not changing speed. it was dark and had been sprinkling so maybe I ran over something or whatever.
I slid across 3 lanes of traffic and nobody hit me so I'm just glad to be alive

Any injuries? and what were you wearing?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Triumph 675 curse still lives for SA members. Glad you're alright.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

Coydog posted:

Hopefully the insurance company is good to you, at least.

No Insurance coverage for this, for the past couple of years I haven't bothered with full comprehensive insurance, only third-party due to the cost.

Z3n posted:

Super lovely :( you gonna try and fix the bike?

Yeah on the weekend I'm going to go over it and see what the damage is, then decide what I'm going to do from there I guess

cheesebot posted:

Any injuries? and what were you wearing?

I was wearing everything and only ended up with a grazed knee which is why I feel supremely lucky.
Everything except the helmet are still good
* Bell Star Carbon
* Alpinestars GP-R Jacket
* SMX-5 boots
* ICON Kevlar jeans
* Alpinestars gloves of some sort

BlackMK4 posted:

Triumph 675 curse still lives for SA members. Glad you're alright.

It still lives on for me too, this 675 was a replacement for my first one which got written off in 2008 when some jerkoff pulled out of a sidestreet in front of me.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Motherfucking. Went to turn off the road or front of work, was braking with front brake and my hand slipped a little, chopping the throttle. Queue highside. loving hell. Bikes ridable, will need new fairing. Gear protected me from any real injury. Forgot my pre ride ritual and was half asleep/running late for work. Zzz.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Shimrod posted:

Motherfucking. Went to turn off the road or front of work, was braking with front brake and my hand slipped a little, chopping the throttle. Queue highside. loving hell. Bikes ridable, will need new fairing. Gear protected me from any real injury. Forgot my pre ride ritual and was half asleep/running late for work. Zzz.

Bummer, dude. :(

Do you mean chopping the throttle as in cutting it, or blipping it?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Probably blipping if he highsided.:smith:

What bike was it?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Quit. loving. Riding. Race. Tires. On. The. Street.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Glad to hear everyone is OK. Please stop crashing. Or if you must crash, make sure it's jumping out of a truck bed onto ice in your driveway instead.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Chichevache posted:

Probably blipping if he highsided.:smith:

What bike was it?

That's what I figured. "Chopping" to me means rapidly closing the throttle, which I figured was universal but maybe not...

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Hand slipped down and gave the bike throttle. Blipped.

Wasnt the tyres fault, was my own stupidity.
I'm changing to normal tyres anyway. These burn it too quick.

Getting a CT :/ bike is a zx10r.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
What tires did you have?

I have/had Pilot Road 2CT's on my Daytona which are getting pretty old now, matter of fact maybe if I'd replaced the tires within the last couple of years it wouldn't have flipped out

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Dunlop D212s

e: they were warm, I'd just done 100kms

Shimrod fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Oct 2, 2015

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Warm is not operating temp for those tires, man. They need carcass flex to build heat (heavy accel / decel), not highway miles or stop and go in town. Race tires are going to heat cycle out and get hard if you use them as a street tire and they are going to be very fickle when it comes to sudden loading. They do not like it at all and they will let you know with little warning, if any.

I know they feel fine to you, but if you spend time putting track miles on a new set you're gonna feel how they act as they start losing grip over time and it'll all start making sense to you as far as riding them cold on the street. Sport touring rubber is amazingly better on a street or dual duty bike - they can also be ridden into A group with the right lines, some respect, and by not being dumb by ignoring what they are saying.

I know you'll probably blow this off, but it is a contributing factor and something worth thinking about. Be safe.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Oct 2, 2015

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

This set is getting on, and one thing I've been noticing once a set gets on a bit is that they start giving you very little warning. Part of the reason I'm not getting another set. They (especially the front) aren't a very forgiving tyre. I've noticed they give you feedback to about 70% load then there's nothing until they let go. I'd already decided about mid-way through this set that they weren't really a great street tyre. Oh well.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
Last weekend i hit what I thought was a coyote, but i learned it was actually someone's dog.

Damage to the bike was minimal, just the shifter bent up against the frame which I unbent. I'm a huge nervous nerd, so replacement parts for the shifter and linkage are on order, but the parts are seriously fine.

Damage to me was also minor, moderately bruised foot that healed in a few days.

Damage to my soul i'm still figuring out.

Going to go see the dogowners and pay for their dog's "funeral" expenses. (About $500 cuz they got him cremated and they got a memorial stone for him, and a bunch of other stuff)

Not really required by law, but it makes me feel better.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

That's terrible. I'm sorry.

Was it running loose or did it break out of a yard? I tense up every time I ride near a dog.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Make a donation to a shelter instead. If a dog isn't kept safely, gently caress those people for not properly taking care of their pets that led to it getting killed, and the last thing they need is someone encouraging that sort of behavior by reducing the financial burden.

Unless of course you were on a red bike doing a wheelie on a footpath.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Z3n posted:

Make a donation to a shelter instead. If a dog isn't kept safely, gently caress those people for not properly taking care of their pets that led to it getting killed, and the last thing they need is someone encouraging that sort of behavior by reducing the financial burden.

:agreed:

It is really sad that the dog died, but responsibility rests with the owner. Help save a dog that isn't being cared for, instead of helping someone neglect another dog.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Z3n posted:

Basically, this entirely.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Z3n posted:

Make a donation to a shelter instead.

I volunteer with a dog and cat rescue quite a bit.

I don't really disagree with what you said, but the main reasons I did it:

1) I can afford it
2) it made me feel better.

It was running around on a 3 lane highway right next to a bunch of homes. It was near an older downtown area, and not far from a large bit of land that has nothing on it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Z3n posted:

I've nearly run over my own cat in my driveway cause the dumb fat gently caress was sleeping, tried to run one direction, realised there was a car there and swerved in the other direction. First and only time I've had to emergency brake in my own loving driveway.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--

Slavvy posted:

I've nearly run over my own cat in my driveway cause the dumb fat gently caress was sleeping, tried to run one direction, realised there was a car there and swerved in the other direction. First and only time I've had to emergency brake in my own loving driveway.

Cats are loving stupid, but for some reason we wuv them. :allears:

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Z3n posted:

This entirely. It's not your fault or on your conscience that a loose animal acted upon you and caused you to hit it. You were where you were supposed to be, and the dog was not. Things like this are why outdoor dogs and cats have such a drastically shorter lifespan than those kept under care. It's tragic that people are so negligent.

That said, if it makes you feel better, then it's worth the money. I know I'd feel pretty bad about it, too. Glad you came out of it ok.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

XYLOPAGUS posted:

Cats are loving stupid, but for some reason we wuv them. :allears:

Toxoplamsa gondii.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
500 for running over someone else's dog? Can you come run over mine + our cat?

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Razzled posted:

500 for running over someone else's dog? Can you come run over mine + our cat?

Yeah, I have three cats you could hit in one pass...

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Humans train pets so if your pets are lovely trace that backwards

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

nsaP posted:

Humans train pets so if your pets are lovely trace that backwards

:agreed:
FYI it also applies to parenting and religion as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
loving friend is just as bad as a squid... Got his first street bike in a while and immediately got a flat tire.

Idiot posts "hay I need some take offs for my bike hit me up." I don't care if you had a cmra license 3 years ago, you're loving stupid for riding on race rubber on the streets. My actual words to him.

• Locked thread