Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I imagine the old Mac Pros don't have SATA3, hence the PCIe card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

The SSD might be marginally faster in the hard drive bay compared to a traditional drive, but to really see true gains in performance, you'll want the PCIe card.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

empty baggie posted:

The SSD might be marginally faster in the hard drive bay compared to a traditional drive, but to really see true gains in performance, you'll want the PCIe card.

Lots of people will do just fine with the regular hard drive bay. I recently threw a spare SSD into my Mac Pro 1,1 using one of those $15 passive 2.5"-to-3.5" converters and it's awesome. Yeah, I "only" get ~250 MB/s sustained instead of ~500 (still much faster than any HDD), but sustained transfer rate isn't what makes computers feel SSD-fast, it's the giant leap in random access performance, and SATA2 isn't much of a bottleneck in that department. My Pro now boots in a tiny fraction of the time it did before, poo poo launches super fast, and spotlight searches pop up right away instead of grinding for ages.

I had been thinking it was time to retire the thing since modern MacOS versions (10.9, 10.11) really seemed to drag compared to 10.6. Figured that with its unsupported status and the hacked bootloader necessary just to get things running, I was just seeing the end result of no fucks given about optimizing for such old hardware. Turns out it's more like Apple isn't optimizing for non-SSD. (I really don't envy anyone who buys one of the non-BTO 21" iMac configs, they all ship with a 2.5" 5400 RPM laptop disk.)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

MeruFM posted:

how does this work? Isn't SATA the limiting factor here?

Yes SATA is definitely the limiting factor. mPCIe/PCIe SSDs will blow the doors off SATAIII SSDs.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

empty baggie posted:

Owned by but operated separately. Operations-wise, we have nothing to do with GameStop. I can say as an employee, it's not perfect, but definitely better than the last AASP I worked for, and we do check our machines out thoroughly before reselling them.

That being said, you're always going to run the risk of inheriting the previous owners problems (if any), no matter who you buy used from. Even Apple isn't going to catch everything, and since we use the same tools they do, we stand by what we sell.

All I know is that I saw an ad for a job with simplymac and they mentioned having to conform to "the exceptional code of ethics that GameStop is known for" and I laughed so loving hard.

I'm not saying you personally are anything less than an upstanding and hardworking individual, but when that's your yardstick to measure ethics, well... It's quite humorous to say the least. I imagined employees taking laptops home for a few weeks, then resealing the box and selling them as new.

Roobsa
May 1, 2011

So I went with the suggestion of getting a Velocity Solo x2 card and went for a Samsung EVO 850. The difference is absolutely day and night. I've gone for a fresh install of OS X so lots of faffing around installing software but goddamn, opening things actually happens instantly.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

All I know is that I saw an ad for a job with simplymac and they mentioned having to conform to "the exceptional code of ethics that GameStop is known for" and I laughed so loving hard.

I'm not saying you personally are anything less than an upstanding and hardworking individual, but when that's your yardstick to measure ethics, well... It's quite humorous to say the least. I imagined employees taking laptops home for a few weeks, then resealing the box and selling them as new.

Yeah, I don't know about any of that. If it wasn't for GameStop logo on the top of my insurance card, I wouldn't have a clue my employer had anything to do with them. I will say that ever since SimplyMac bought out my previous company, work conditions and pay scale have improved dramatically.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
How recent can you go with CPUs in the old Mac Pros (if you can swap them at all)?

It's cool to see how surprisingly future-proof they've turned out to be with people easily adding PCIe storage and newer GPUs and so-forth.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Depends on what socket yours has, the last gen ones can take LGA 1366 CPU's and I think the best that you can do is dual 6 core Westmeres (which probably has some measure of parity with the current 12 core model)

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011
I've been debating on getting a MBP for a while, the 15" Retina screen is surprisingly roomy. However, I am turned off by the lack of hard drive space on the newer models. Is it possible to update the PCIe storage for the MBP, or is the hard drive really hard to replace?

I haven't dealt in hardware for a while, and I've never worked on a Mac before.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

TwoQuestions posted:

I've been debating on getting a MBP for a while, the 15" Retina screen is surprisingly roomy. However, I am turned off by the lack of hard drive space on the newer models. Is it possible to update the PCIe storage for the MBP, or is the hard drive really hard to replace?

I haven't dealt in hardware for a while, and I've never worked on a Mac before.

The drive is easy to replace. However, it is not cheap. You will have to buy an OEM drive, I'm not sure there are any third-parties for the new ones yet. It's a proprietary form factor.

Best bet really is to buy the size you want when you buy it. Who knows what the future holds though?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I wasn't aware you could even buy the drives unless they had been pulled out of another MacBook.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

I wasn't aware you could even buy the drives unless they had been pulled out of another MacBook.

There are ways to get OEM drives through official channels (like through an AASP), but if you buy one used, yes, they'll have been pulled drives. For example, I sold my 512GB drive from a water-damaged rMBP after an AASP confirmed to me that the drive was not water damaged and perfectly serviceable. The eBay buyer was very happy with his discount off the new price.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

They came out with an mSATA adapter but it only works in the 1st gen retinas

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET

I Am Crake posted:

I'm really bummed out there isn't an official refurb store in the Netherlands because I see everyone recommending it. All I can find here are 3rd party refurbs with limited warranty or demo models, which I don't trust. For some reason Apple does sell refurb iPads and iPods, just not Macs.

It might be due to limited stock with your funny keyboard?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

If you are buying a new rMPB poney up the cash to get the amount of HD space and RAM that you think you will need at least 3 years from now. 500gb adds another $300 to it, but I think it's worth it to not have to deal with finding a used HD down the road and either upgrading it yourself or paying someone to.

Personally, if I needed more than 500gb of storage for projects I was doing on a laptop I would get an external HD to store the big stuff on. You can get boxes for external raid arrays for ~$150 plus the cost of the drives you throw in there, and that will get you a hell of a lot more storage than upgrading the internal capacity of the MPB.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Cyrano4747 posted:

If you are buying a new rMPB poney up the cash to get the amount of HD space and RAM that you think you will need at least 3 years from now. 500gb adds another $300 to it, but I think it's worth it to not have to deal with finding a used HD down the road and either upgrading it yourself or paying someone to.

Personally, if I needed more than 500gb of storage for projects I was doing on a laptop I would get an external HD to store the big stuff on. You can get boxes for external raid arrays for ~$150 plus the cost of the drives you throw in there, and that will get you a hell of a lot more storage than upgrading the internal capacity of the MPB.

This. I'm used to PCs so I just bought the smaller hard drive thinking I can just buy later for cheaper than the upgrade is. Went to check on prices and it's about double to buy later than just getting it with your rMBP. Expensive lesson learned. I'm probably just going external now unless a really sweet deal comes along. Don't be jabro.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

USB 3.0 enclosure and a Slickdeals SSD. 1TB Samsung EVO is like $325 and then Black Friday is coming up...

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

Triglav posted:

It might be due to limited stock with your funny keyboard?

We're not loving germans :argh:

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
So I very mildly cracked my Macbook Pro screen. There's very minor damage, though there is a pixels-thin CMYK line down the display leading to some small spiderwebbing at the bottom of the screen. Also another pixels thin crack that looks like regular cracked glass and not like anything's scratched.

Any tips on how to fix this that doesn't cost $400?

RusteJuxx
Jul 14, 2001

College Slice
How stringent are the Geniuses when it comes to dead pixels on Retina MacBook Pros? I bought a 15" in March and a month or so ago I started noticing a black mark about a quarter down in the center of the screen. It's not too bad - it's maybe the size of a ".", so I've been able to learn to ignore it. A few days ago I noticed another mark about 1/3rd of the way from the left side of the screen and about a third of the way down - so it's very much near the center of my vision most of the time. This mark is about the size of a comma, so it's a fair bit more distracting. Both marks are black and are not dirt (I've cleaned it with a microfiber cloth) and I can't imagine it's damage as I don't feel or see any nicks on the front or back and I baby this thing.

Most of the experiences I can find via Google are from 2012-2013 when there were actual flaws with many of the panels and that seemed very hit or miss.

I'm thinking of making an appointment with a Genius ahead of time for when I go pick up a new iPhone in a month (the store is fairly far away). Is it as random for replacements as the Apple forums make it seem? What's the goon experience?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

RusteJuxx posted:

I'm thinking of making an appointment with a Genius ahead of time for when I go pick up a new iPhone in a month (the store is fairly far away). Is it as random for replacements as the Apple forums make it seem? What's the goon experience?
I feel like I remember reading a support article basically saying on older machines there was an acceptable level of dead pixels, but on newer machines there should be zero and any anomaly was grounds for a repair. I can't find it anymore, so it may have been superseded by this one which isn't as helpful.

In any case, I'd say take it in, especially with how new the machine is I would expect them to take care of it (I'm pretty sure I would if I still worked there). You could also call AppleCare up ahead of time so even if you can't get to a store for a while, they'll be able to see that you made a call reporting the issue when the computer was only a month or so old.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
AMD apparently published some new Bootcamp drivers a few days ago for those of you that were having issues and didn't just install them manually.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

So I very mildly cracked my Macbook Pro screen. There's very minor damage, though there is a pixels-thin CMYK line down the display leading to some small spiderwebbing at the bottom of the screen. Also another pixels thin crack that looks like regular cracked glass and not like anything's scratched.

Any tips on how to fix this that doesn't cost $400?

What model number, year? There's been 25 different models released since late 2009.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
To the first guy. You have to replace the display if you bring to an apple store. For the second guy any signs of pixel anomalies will be covered regardless of how many you have. This is also based on if you bring it to the Apple store, don't know about other places.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
I just got a new MacBook and want to put the music from my old one on it, which is all stored as a Time Machine backup. Can I easily pick what I want from the backup or is it an all-or-nothing situation?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Eight Is Legend posted:

I just got a new MacBook and want to put the music from my old one on it, which is all stored as a Time Machine backup. Can I easily pick what I want from the backup or is it an all-or-nothing situation?

I think it's generally all or nothing, but if you do Migration Assistant I think you can select what you want to put over there? (I don't remember, I haven't done it in 4 years)

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Let's see. I backup to Time Machine with a Time Capsule, which means it mounts on-demand instead of when I connect a drive with USB. I went into Time Machine.app and it brought up my history, so I know my backup was mounted. I cancelled out of there, went into the Terminal, /Volumes/Time\ Machine\ Backups/Backups.backupdb contained a list of my machines, only one - "Macbook Pro". cd Macbook\ Pro, cd Latest, and I was looking at my most recent backup. You should be able to copy your entire library out from there. It'll be in like, Users/yourusername/Music I think.

Hope this helps.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

computer parts posted:

I think it's generally all or nothing, but if you do Migration Assistant I think you can select what you want to put over there? (I don't remember, I haven't done it in 4 years)

It's been ~2 years for me but I feel like I was given the option to go through the files and check off things I wanted/didn't want from a Time Machine backup through Migration Assistant.

Somebody yell at me if I'm totally off-base about this.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Electric Bugaloo posted:

It's been ~2 years for me but I feel like I was given the option to go through the files and check off things I wanted/didn't want from a Time Machine backup through Migration Assistant.

Somebody yell at me if I'm totally off-base about this.

It WAS granular when the first time machine came out a decade ago.

If your old mac is alive, you can boot it up in target disk mode. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201462

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

As Pivo said you should be able to just browse the Time Machine backup once you're in OS X and cherry pick the files you want.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Froist posted:

As Pivo said you should be able to just browse the Time Machine backup once you're in OS X and cherry pick the files you want.

Yep.

Open the Backup.db folder, navigate to the 'latest' folder.

Then it will be in Macintosh HD -> Users -> [your user folder] -> Music -> iTunes -> iTunes Media

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I have the older model Airport Express.

Looking at the new model Airport Express, does it allow you to connect it to a network via the Ethernet port to utilise airplay?

Im having some stability issues with my AE and wondering if either of them can do that, rather than relying on the wifi connection.

I use it to beam audio from my iMac to my Hifi on the other side of the room, but when my housemates are all streaming netflix the audio gets fairly intermittent.

Alternatively, an Airplay compatible unit that uses Ethernet would be ideal, if one exists.

EDIT: this seems to indicate that it'll work with the new model - http://www.theinstructional.com/guides/configure-an-airport-express-as-an-ethernet-airplay-receiver

any idea if this is compatible with the old one too? are they the same hardware internally?

Laserface fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Oct 1, 2015

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Needing to a battery replacement and more SSD space has got me thinking about upgrading my aging early 2011 15" MBP (2GHz sandybridge i7 & low end discrete GPU (6490M 256MB) config). After doing some research, it looks like a 2.6 GHz late 2013 rMBP 15" w/ discrete GPU would be a good bang for buck candidate since it doesn't look like the '14 or '15 models added much performance. Is that a fair assessment? According to geekbench that would net me around a 53% increase in single core performance, and 61% in multicore, which seems like it'd be more than an incremental upgrade. Improved battery, SSD speed, graphics performance and sound levels under load also would also be nice.

My main question: would it be wise to save up and wait for skylake rMBPs to be released rather than buying a used or refurbished late 2013 now? It sounds like the move to skylake could be a more significant upgrade than the recent refreshes, and also will likely include a move to USB-C (which I assume would make it more "future proof").

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Laserface posted:

I have the older model Airport Express.

Looking at the new model Airport Express, does it allow you to connect it to a network via the Ethernet port to utilise airplay?

Im having some stability issues with my AE and wondering if either of them can do that, rather than relying on the wifi connection.

I use it to beam audio from my iMac to my Hifi on the other side of the room, but when my housemates are all streaming netflix the audio gets fairly intermittent.

Alternatively, an Airplay compatible unit that uses Ethernet would be ideal, if one exists.

EDIT: this seems to indicate that it'll work with the new model - http://www.theinstructional.com/guides/configure-an-airport-express-as-an-ethernet-airplay-receiver

any idea if this is compatible with the old one too? are they the same hardware internally?

Yes, The new AE models support AirPlay through Ethernet.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Splinter posted:

My main question: would it be wise to save up and wait for skylake rMBPs to be released rather than buying a used or refurbished late 2013 now? It sounds like the move to skylake could be a more significant upgrade than the recent refreshes, and also will likely include a move to USB-C (which I assume would make it more "future proof").

If you have the money, I would wait for the new ones. Force Touch is probably going to be more and more relevant as time goes on, and (probably) having some new USB ports would help too.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The 2015s have drastically improved SSD performance. I'm holding out for Skylake myself though.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

TACD posted:

I feel like I remember reading a support article basically saying on older machines there was an acceptable level of dead pixels, but on newer machines there should be zero and any anomaly was grounds for a repair. I can't find it anymore, so it may have been superseded by this one which isn't as helpful.

In any case, I'd say take it in, especially with how new the machine is I would expect them to take care of it (I'm pretty sure I would if I still worked there). You could also call AppleCare up ahead of time so even if you can't get to a store for a while, they'll be able to see that you made a call reporting the issue when the computer was only a month or so old.

For what it's worth I had my screen replaced twice over the three years (I had AppleCare on a 2012 rMBP) and they never batted an eye. One was the first week for a dead pixel and brighter region, the second time was for another bright region).

Relatedly, I'll always buy AppleCare for laptops, I think. Couple weeks before it ran out, I took it in (been having some GPU issues) so they replaced the mainboard, speakers, battery, AC adapter, etc.Thing runs like new for a 3 year old laptop. Not to mention I guess they didn't want to order in a new board (using the in-store parts instead) so I got it back with 16 gigs of RAM instead of just 8 - which was literally my one regret about ordering it.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

computer parts posted:

If you have the money, I would wait for the new ones. Force Touch is probably going to be more and more relevant as time goes on, and (probably) having some new USB ports would help too.

fleshweasel posted:

I'm holding out for Skylake myself though.

Sounding like holding out for Skylake is the way to go. I can just fork out for a battery replacement and a replacement SSD in the meantime to keep my '11 going strong in the meantime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
Just want to pop in to say apple care is awesome.

My early 2013 rMBP popped up the other week with a "Service battery" (it was only about halfway through it's life in cycles). Since I had ghosting issues with my display (original LG display I never went to get fixed), and I had just taken it to Burning Man so knew it had some potentially dangerous siica particles inside, it was time to take it in.

They disassembled it completely and cleaned it (this was the most important thing for me); replaced the entire clamshell and battery + panel. It's now running MUCH cooler, and under regular load with the discrete card, I'm getting 6 hours of battery life versus the 2-3 hours before the battery started acting up (it was 2 hours or less at that point). Cost me $0.

Anyways, that's all. I was considering upgrading when the next update comes around but now I'm pretty happy. Feels almost brand new. The only problem now is running out of SSD space, but I'm sure I can figure something out

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Oct 2, 2015