Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

coyo7e posted:

Has the soil there been disturbed? raking and tilling can encourage seeds to germinate.

I yanked up the landscape fabric when I planted some spinach so maybe that triggered it.

That doesn't explain the tomatillos coming up in the front yard. I haven't touched that bed since I ripped everything out months ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Shifty Pony posted:

I yanked up the landscape fabric when I planted some spinach so maybe that triggered it.

That doesn't explain the tomatillos coming up in the front yard. I haven't touched that bed since I ripped everything out months ago.

The Martian looking good

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

coyo7e posted:

Wow that is some sandy-rear end soil. Have you thought about blueberries? :D

Has the soil there been disturbed? raking and tilling can encourage seeds to germinate.

Yeah sure is, though two beds are entirely mulch and the ones with sand are only sand for the top 10cm at most, beneath that is mulch down about 20cm.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I was referring to the soil around and below the beds. Blueberries love sandy soil, just add coffee ground compost p much.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I wholeheartedly support everyone planting blueberries.

Garden blueberries are so much better than store bought it is ridiculous. It is perhaps as big a difference as store bought tomatoes and garden tomatoes.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe

Shifty Pony posted:

I wholeheartedly support everyone planting blueberries.

Garden blueberries are so much better than store bought it is ridiculous. It is perhaps as big a difference as store bought tomatoes and garden tomatoes.

Do you hate these people and want them to suffer? Blueberries are like the hardest thing in the world to keep alive! I've got some in pots and that's pretty much the only way I could ever imagine keeping them healthy.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
I wasn't aware they liked sandy soil, my girlfriend will be very pleased by this, she loves blueberries.

We'd previously tried growing some in a pot but they died.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Anubis posted:

Do you hate these people and want them to suffer? Blueberries are like the hardest thing in the world to keep alive! I've got some in pots and that's pretty much the only way I could ever imagine keeping them healthy.

We bought a house two years ago that had 4 barely established blueberry plants, and they are going super strong with minimal effort.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
I'd love to grow blueberries, but the soil I got just isn't acidic enough and I don't want to bother mixing in sulfur and stuff. And my backyard's so big I'd hate to just buy pots!

Is anyone here experienced with growing strawberries in hot climates? I live in the extreme south of Texas and just this afternoon planted some young Seascape variety Strawberries I found at a local nursery. What I'm worried about is how they'll produce fruit down here; temps during the daytime range from the high 80's to mid 90's until late fall and winter, and July and August can reach 100.

edit: Here's a much simpler number: I live in zone 10a.

Chelb fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Oct 1, 2015

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
More garden pics!

Dwarf lemon tree, some flowers, might get our first fruit from it.

Passionfruit vine, just finished fruiting, about 50% done trimming it back.

Pomegranate tree.

Last garden bed finished, still need to finish digging it out.

Still got a bunch of wood left.

Overview, time to start digging trenches for the reticulation

Plum tree is lovely and green, always a huge harvest from this one each year, more than we can find a use for, hoping to dehydrate as many as I can this year.

This unknown fruit tree, only fruits occasionally.

It has lovely flowers.

Native berry tree, this one is just finished fruiting, its hard to get at them so they mostly just end up as compost on the ground and bird food.

Mint plants, probably going to need to move one of these to a bed soon. (yes I just sprayed for pests).

Unkillable fennel bush (planted many years back and ignored/forgotten about, never watered and just grows huge), and bed at the back where we're going to plant some pumpkin and sweetcorn.

Seedlings!

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe

Falco posted:

We bought a house two years ago that had 4 barely established blueberry plants, and they are going super strong with minimal effort.

You must have magical soil that doesn't work well with most plants then. I've had so much trouble trying to keep the PH levels of my soil down for them that they have hardly been worth it.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur

Anubis posted:

You must have magical soil that doesn't work well with most plants then. I've had so much trouble trying to keep the PH levels of my soil down for them that they have hardly been worth it.

Me too. :( Ripped them out and planted blackberries instead. Best decision ever. I figured they'd do well since their wildtypes are native here in flyover country. I think if you have the proper kind of peaty, acidic soil that they like, they're probably low maintenance and awesome. But if you don't have that kind of soil, it's very difficult to amend soil to keep them healthy.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

AlistairCookie posted:

Me too. :( Ripped them out and planted blackberries instead. Best decision ever. I figured they'd do well since their wildtypes are native here in flyover country. I think if you have the proper kind of peaty, acidic soil that they like, they're probably low maintenance and awesome. But if you don't have that kind of soil, it's very difficult to amend soil to keep them healthy.

Yes if you don't have acidic soil you should do them in raised beds or pots. But those are super easy - pile in a bunch of pure peat moss and jam the plant in there. Maybe mulch it with some pine bark if you want. Pinch the flowers first year to let it establish and the only maintenance after that is to keep it well watered and stuff some extra peat on top every few years when you trim out old branches.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Shifty Pony posted:

Yes if you don't have acidic soil you should do them in raised beds or pots. But those are super easy - pile in a bunch of pure peat moss and jam the plant in there. Maybe mulch it with some pine bark if you want. Pinch the flowers first year to let it establish and the only maintenance after that is to keep it well watered and stuff some extra peat on top every few years when you trim out old branches.

Since you guys are talking about potted plants, I've got a question: What's your off-season care for potted perennials?

I realized all my experience is with annuals, or things that simply won't winter over here (which means I just bring them inside and treat them as normal). If it's something that's going to stay out in the garden, though, should I be changing my watering/feeding routine? I'm a little worried about watering in the winter and having a hard freeze or something come in and ice the root system or something.

In particular, I'm dealing with Hops, where the bines all die/get trimmed back in the fall and then the roots stay dormant until next spring. They're hearty below ground in my climate, so my plan is to move the pots to where they've got some wind cover and maybe wrap the pots (half whisky-barrels) with plastic to give them some wind-chill protection.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Hubis posted:

In particular, I'm dealing with Hops, where the bines all die/get trimmed back in the fall and then the roots stay dormant until next spring. They're hearty below ground in my climate, so my plan is to move the pots to where they've got some wind cover and maybe wrap the pots (half whisky-barrels) with plastic to give them some wind-chill protection.

Hops are pretty drat hardy (zone 3) so I wouldn't worry about the freeze too much. I think in general plants don't want to dry out completely when they're dormant. We have wet winters here so I just let the rain water everything outside. Hops do like a good layer of composted manure in the Fall though.

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
The scarlet runner beans have absolutely EXPLODED, climbing the trellis like a Saturn V leaving orbit, as are the bush (wax) beans. The radishes were off to a slightly slower start but are doing well now. The spinach also took a week or two to start but is coming up nicely now. The cukes and corn are also vibrant and healthy. The tomatoes seem to be growing, albeit kinda slowly :(

The beets are sucking rear end though...I think maybe i sowed them too deep or something. I don't really know, a few seedling sprouted and then just kinda turned all red and wilted. What the heck beets?

Im mostly pumped for the tomatoes though so here's hoping they catch up.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I love that passionfruit vine; I want to put one on the back fence and have finally persuaded my husband that it's worth planting a triffid because passionfruits are so drat expensive here (Northern California). This year, for disability reasons, my edible plants have been in planters on the deck. The hot peppers are dying off, but the herbs are going strong. I'm tempted to plant finger carrots where the hot peppers went; the potting soil is nice and loamy, which means they won't split against clay soil/rocks/landfill from the original construction.

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I ordered some fuckin' capers

gonna grow my own capers

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Woo! Let us know how they turn out. Which reminds me, I really do want to find a place to let nasturtiums run wild next year.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Woo! Let us know how they turn out. Which reminds me, I really do want to find a place to let nasturtiums run wild next year.

I have to say, nasturtiums, in the right environment, will reseed on their own and just keep on tucking for ever. They also taste great in salads.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I love that passionfruit vine; I want to put one on the back fence and have finally persuaded my husband that it's worth planting a triffid because passionfruits are so drat expensive here (Northern California). This year, for disability reasons, my edible plants have been in planters on the deck. The hot peppers are dying off, but the herbs are going strong. I'm tempted to plant finger carrots where the hot peppers went; the potting soil is nice and loamy, which means they won't split against clay soil/rocks/landfill from the original construction.

It's stupidly well established, no matter how it's neglected or overgrown it always gives tons of fruit.

Problem is we want to move it elsewhere and that has a very good chance of killing it.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Summer gave out and now the temperature is averaging 5-12C every day. Before this, my cherry tomato plants attempted a last hurrah and churned out a few dozen tomatoes over a few weeks. Is there any chance of these ripening at this temperature, or should I just harvest everything for some sort of green tomato chutney?

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur
/\/\

You can pick them green and use them green, or pick them and let them ripen on their own inside. (Just leave them in a bowl on the counter.) Either way. :)

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

AlistairCookie posted:

/\/\

You can pick them green and use them green, or pick them and let them ripen on their own inside. (Just leave them in a bowl on the counter.) Either way. :)

I haven't had much luck with ripening cherry tomatoes indoors, I've picked some nearly ripe ones and let them sit for a few days but the insides was still green. And if I let them sit longer they end up splitting. Just haven't had any luck with tomatoes. :(

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Put them next to bananas and they should ripen up

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Jan posted:

I haven't had much luck with ripening cherry tomatoes indoors, I've picked some nearly ripe ones and let them sit for a few days but the insides was still green. And if I let them sit longer they end up splitting. Just haven't had any luck with tomatoes. :(

Just use them green. When people talk about ripening tomatoes indoors, they just mean that the color changes to red, it doesn't turn into a true vine ripened tomato.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
I'm slightly envious of your abilities to grow tomatoes guys. I'm based in Australia and theres almost no point growing tomatoes where I live. The season is too short and generally right at the end of it the weather turns wet for days on end and the tomatoes rot before they get going properly. This year I'm instead focussing on growing different types of beans along with a few different varieties of brassicas, carrots and parsnips. The only summer veg that does really really well is zucchini's which even with just one plant there's enough for two with attempts to figure out what to do with them being a struggle.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

Has anyone grown 'Lavender Mint' before? I got a plant at a local nursery. It's seems like the real deal and everything (the leaves really do smell like lavender, it's heavenly), but there's barely any info about it online. Are mint varieties normally so obscure?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

It's like any other mint: put it someplace you don't mind it taking over, because it's gonna. Some people recommend burying a cement drain pipe open-end up in the garden, then planting the mint inside that and ruthlessly killing any runners. My family's preference is just to plant the drat thing under the tap and hit it with a hedge trimmer/lawn mower every now and then.

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

I'm slightly envious of your abilities to grow tomatoes guys. I'm based in Australia and theres almost no point growing tomatoes where I live. The season is too short and generally right at the end of it the weather turns wet for days on end and the tomatoes rot before they get going properly. This year I'm instead focussing on growing different types of beans along with a few different varieties of brassicas, carrots and parsnips. The only summer veg that does really really well is zucchini's which even with just one plant there's enough for two with attempts to figure out what to do with them being a struggle.

Have you checked with local garden clubs and/or the Australian equivalent of an extension office, to see if there are varieties that will grow better in your area, or techniques you can use to encourage them to do well? Planting large, well-established plants should help, and maybe a good fertilizer regimen could encourage them to produce before your annual deluge. What about putting a greenhouse or other shelter over them toward the end of the season? Or at the beginning, so you can get them in the ground earlier?

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It's like any other mint: put it someplace you don't mind it taking over, because it's gonna. Some people recommend burying a cement drain pipe open-end up in the garden, then planting the mint inside that and ruthlessly killing any runners. My family's preference is just to plant the drat thing under the tap and hit it with a hedge trimmer/lawn mower every now and then.

I killed my mint

I am destroyer of worlds

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Adult Sword Owner posted:

I killed my mint

I am destroyer of worlds

I might have killed mine too by forgetting to water it for like two weeks. Then again, knowing mint, it's probably just dormant and gonna come back next year angry.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

mrmcd posted:

I might have killed mine too by forgetting to water it for like two weeks. Then again, knowing mint, it's probably just dormant and gonna come back next year angry.

Mine has come back angry three years running.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
In my experience mint has an insane burst of life in Spring and early Summer. By late summer the leaves aren't even usable, the stems are harder, it's just generally useless. When the Kentucky Derby rolls in early May, it hasn't quite hit it's prime, but you got enough for a few juleps. Made my big batch of mint syrup late June, it went downhill from there. This in Zone 7.

But the creeper roots it puts out during it's heavy period lay the foundation for an even bigger next year.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm like 90% sure one of my neighbor's hogs ate my goddamn strawberry bushes. every. single. one. They're just empty holes in the ground where plants used to be

goddamn it

edit: yesterday I opened the garage door, saw a pig-like figure bolting from my little garden plot, thought "Huh. That's weird," and went back inside. Somebody punch me.

Chelb fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Oct 13, 2015

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Rollofthedice posted:

I'm like 90% sure one of my neighbor's hogs ate my goddamn strawberry bushes. every. single. one. They're just empty holes in the ground where plants used to be

goddamn it

edit: yesterday I opened the garage door, saw a pig-like figure bolting from my little garden plot, thought "Huh. That's weird," and went back inside. Somebody punch me.

Someone owes you some pork.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

Cpt.Wacky posted:

Someone owes you some pork.

Yeah, methinks a talk is in order. It's been a pretty big demotivator, that's for sure. Really I should be growing strawberries indoors or in a hanging pot anyway, but what a bummer. Of all the things that I expected to happen to my plants, from birds to rabbits to overwatering, a hungry javelina is not what I expected from my first time gardening.

Hopefully this won't be a problem for the blackberries I ordered a week ago online.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Help! My potatoes are dying!

Since I took this picture last week, the two on the left have completely withered, I dug up one and it hadn't grown any potatoes at all.

Big Nubbins
Jun 1, 2004

Rollofthedice posted:

Hopefully this won't be a problem for the blackberries I ordered a week ago online.

Permaculture folks commonly use pigs to keep blackberries in check, so I wouldn't bet on it. My understanding from various anecdotes is that they prefer the tender, younger growth but will eventually root out the old stuff given the opportunity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur

Spookydonut posted:

Help! My potatoes are dying!

Since I took this picture last week, the two on the left have completely withered, I dug up one and it hadn't grown any potatoes at all.

Wilt. Verticillium wilt or Fusarium wilt, either way. There's nothing you can do; they will die. And that poo poo lives in your soil and will reinfect next year's crop. You have to crop rotate and keep all nightshades out of that plot for a couple seasons, or try solarizing the bed. (Water well, and lay down clear plastic. Let it sit for 8 weeks during the hottest/sunniest part of your year. The point is to cook the spores.) I had to rip up the whole garden partway through the summer, and have had plastic down since mid-July. :(

gently caress wilt.