Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

mAlfunkti0n posted:

It is, admit it .. you aren't storing pictures of friends and family in messages, just of yourself!

:boom:

Fair, looking for an app to auto prune my Messages conversations of all selfies and useless messages but will leave all the nudes and ego boosting dick comments girls have sent me (I promise, some of these exist somewhere in there).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Does anyone else with a 6s have a really finicky headphone jack? I've tried the brand name earbuds in the phone and in my computer now and the slightest touches against the cable base cuts out my music on my phone.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Boris Galerkin posted:

Does anyone else with a 6s have a really finicky headphone jack? I've tried the brand name earbuds in the phone and in my computer now and the slightest touches against the cable base cuts out my music on my phone.

Even if no one/everyone else does you should not accept it as the norm. If you have tried another headset and it does the same thing get Apple to swap it, there is no reason you should accept that on a new device.

Edit : Just tested mine, nope no issue.

mAlfunkti0n fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Sep 30, 2015

killa-pope
May 21, 2008

Boris Galerkin posted:

Related to this, has anybody noticed that their s/+ has a looser headphone jack? I've had no problems with sound cutting in and out but I've noticed that removing the plug requires almost no force on my s+ while on my 6 it was in there firmly.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Think I already replied to a similar post...?

No, I have 0 issues with my headphone jack. Have not tried the EarPods, I'm keeping them sealed for when I sell my old phone, but the headphone jack on the 6S is solid. I don't hear any noise and this may be a placebo but I think it drives my NAD HP50s louder than my iPhone 5 did. Max volume is uncomfortably loud now.

Take it to Apple anyway, if you can reproduce a problem with a brand new product they'll take care of you.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
I can't remember on which mac forum I saw it, but apparently problematic 6s/+ headphone jacks are A Thing. I'm predicting that true to historical form Apple will deny the problem, suffer the backlash of an outcry for a fortnight, and then admit-without-admitting that yes there is some kind of "rare issue".

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Hooray it's 2015's somethingate!

killa-pope
May 21, 2008
Yeah, like I said, I'm not having any problems with it right now, just finding it a lot looser than my 6 was and was wondering if others found theirs to be looser fitting as well. If I start having problems, of course I'll take it in.

In the mean time, count me among those loving the bigger screen of the plus.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

If you buy in the Apple Store do they still offer that 24mo AT&T contract reduced price? Or is it possible to do the Apple Upgrade program and get AT&T to drop their monthly rate (seems doubtful)?

I am grandfathered into unlimited data with AT&T, if anyone else is in that boat I'd love to hear what you did. I'm bad at math and stupid.

edit: I just read that AT&T gives a $25 discount on the monthly bill for non-subsidized phones so maybe I should just go with Upgrade Program, sell my current phone, and let my contract run out til the carrier fees drop?

smoobles fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Sep 30, 2015

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

smoobles posted:

If you buy in the Apple Store do they still offer that 24mo AT&T contract reduced price? Or is it possible to do the Apple Upgrade program and get AT&T to drop their monthly rate (seems doubtful)?

I am grandfathered into unlimited data with AT&T, if anyone else is in that boat I'd love to hear what you did. I'm bad at math and stupid.

edit: I just read that AT&T gives a $25 discount on the monthly bill for non-subsidized phones so maybe I should just go with Upgrade Program, sell my current phone, and let my contract run out til the carrier fees drop?

I went to an Apple Store to play with the 6S last night. They only offer the full price unsubsidized or AT&T Next if you're using your AT&T account eligibility. Only way to get the subsidized price is to upgrade at an AT&T store.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

smoobles posted:

You have to go through ATT to get the 2-year contract/subsidized phone now. Of course they didn't mention this before the pre-orders went out.

I had unlimited as well, but switched to the 15GB mobile share plan with my girlfriend and we're saving like $20/month each. Our combined average total data usage is only like 6-7GB/month.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
9.0.2 doesn't fix the Zoomed Wallet bug. :argh:

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Guys my iPhone finally came and I'm so happy. Haven't checked my earphone jack though... iPhone 6s+ space grey 64gb and coming from a 5s its freaking perfect for my hands. Way less errors typing.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
So I guess iFixit made Apple angry by doing a tear down of the new ATV and now their developer account is banned and ifixit app removed.

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/apple-bans-ifixit-developer-account-and-removes-app-after-apple-tv-teardown.1923591/

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
I can't decide if I love or hate the 6S+. When I'm sitting around using it all is well... but going places with it is annoying. Doesn't fit my pockets very well.. doesn't fit in the spare cup holder in my car anymore. I dunno.

side note: 3d touch is great.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Baller Witness Bro posted:

Check out the Diztronic case for ~$11 on Amazon. I absolutely love mine! The Incipio is also quite nice. I wouldn't use the 6s+ either if it didn't have a case as it's way too slippery but with this case it doesn't add bulk and makes it quite grippy.

That does look pretty decent. It meets my criteria of not being overly bulky and stupid looking, doesn't have a dumb window where the apple logo is, and comes in a navy blue color which I approve of.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

LionArcher posted:

Guys my iPhone finally came and I'm so happy. Haven't checked my earphone jack though... iPhone 6s+ space grey 64gb and coming from a 5s its freaking perfect for my hands. Way less errors typing.

Maybe, but it still hasn't fixed your grammar lol

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

mAlfunkti0n posted:

So I guess iFixit made Apple angry by doing a tear down of the new ATV and now their developer account is banned and ifixit app removed.

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/apple-bans-ifixit-developer-account-and-removes-app-after-apple-tv-teardown.1923591/

A bit of a bait title as the reason they got banned isn't that they merely did a tear down as usual but that they used their privileged status as a developer to get a unit ahead of release and then violated the developer NDA by publicizing the whole thing ahead of release.

quote:

With the iFixit app removed from the Apple Store, iFixit is instead planning to revamp its mobile website and does not have plans to rewrite the app. The decision to focus on the iFixit mobile site came before the app was pulled by Apple, so it was not a huge loss to iFixit. The site says the app was outdated and riddled with bugs caused by iOS 9.

Casual, didn't want that app anyway/thank goodness we don't have to go through the code and fix the bugs anymore.

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,
el que pinta es el pintor.

So I restored from an encrypted backup, and some apps just disappeared (maybe the ones from family purchases) and I have a bunch of apps that refuse to download.

I've signed out/in iTunes a couple of times and rebooted a few times. Nothing working yet. I really hope apple fixes this before I get another phone.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Hey, lets abuse a program designed to allow developers to build Apple TV apps before it gets released to the public and break one apart!

I generally like the teardowns they do, but they could have waited for a production unit.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

fordan posted:

Hey, lets abuse a program designed to allow developers to build Apple TV apps before it get released to the public to break it apart!

I generally like the teardowns they do, but they could have waited for a production unit.

Yeah I thought this was a very poor move on their part, they have a great business and I've ordered from the many times but there was no need to do a teardown on this device as of yet, no one stands to benefit from it except for traffic to iFixit.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Yeah I thought this was a very poor move on their part, they have a great business and I've ordered from the many times but there was no need to do a teardown on this device as of yet, no one stands to benefit from it except for traffic to iFixit.

This, they got greedy and then got punished for it.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

You have to go through ATT to get the 2-year contract/subsidized phone now. Of course they didn't mention this before the pre-orders went out.

I had unlimited as well, but switched to the 15GB mobile share plan with my girlfriend and we're saving like $20/month each. Our combined average total data usage is only like 6-7GB/month.

Hmm... I've always taken my AT&T plan for granted and stayed locked into it, didn't know rates have been getting more favorable. Thanks for the heads up.

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011

TinTower posted:

9.0.2 doesn't fix the Zoomed Wallet bug. :argh:

I read on the iPhone subreddit that the also released 9.1 beta 3 fixes that so hopefully in a few weeks your good to go.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
It's an intermittent bug, but does anyone know/think that .02 fixed the locked up/unresponsive screen?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I like that their response boils down to "eh, it's a fair cop".

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Jose Oquendo posted:

Hmm yes defrauding a company is a great to make them change their policies and not replace damaged cables.

Is it really defrauding if someone bought the cables and you're just using the policy that says they'll replace broken ones

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Suqit posted:

Suqit posted:

Maybe, but at least I end sentences with periods instead of lol and no punctuation.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

noirstronaut posted:

Is it really defrauding if someone bought the cables and you're just using the policy that says they'll replace broken ones

Maybe I used the wrong word, but it's definitely abusing it. It's the best way for them to stop doing it completely.

banana allergy
Jan 19, 2006

Grimey Drawer

pragan4 posted:

So I restored from an encrypted backup, and some apps just disappeared (maybe the ones from family purchases) and I have a bunch of apps that refuse to download.

I've signed out/in iTunes a couple of times and rebooted a few times. Nothing working yet. I really hope apple fixes this before I get another phone.

Hey this is happening to me too. Got a 6S last week and picked up a different color today. Glad I decided to return the other one tomorrow because backup and restore is not working smoothly for me. I updated the second phone before restoring, anticipating a prompt for 9.0.1, and then had to update both phones. The first time I tried to restore I was missing some apps, the second time I couldn't pair my watch, and then when I went back to the home screen all my apps were missing again.

Now I'm trying to restore from iCloud and it's not budging. Hopefully updating the first 6S to 9.0.2 didn't corrupt my backups. Good thing I haven't erased the first phone yet.

:confused:

Edit: Okay iCloud seems to be working and I even paired my watch but none of my loving health data restored even though iCloud is supposed to back this up for me. I also just had an app disappear from the home screen. gently caress this.

banana allergy fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Oct 1, 2015

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

CancerStick posted:

I read on the iPhone subreddit that the also released 9.1 beta 3 fixes that so hopefully in a few weeks your good to go.

Can verify that it does. Just downloaded 9.1 beta 3 on my 6S and so far it seems a tiny bit smoother than 9.0. Haven't tested everything so far though.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Is this bullshit? http://www.proclipusa.com/phone-hol...p_leftorright=0

ProClips USA posted:

WARNING: Apple has changed the sizing of the Lightning to USB cable that comes with the new iPhone 6s. The cords that come with the 6s DO NOT work in our current cable attachment holders. We will be making new cable blocks to work with these new cables. These should be available by October 16th 2015.

I mean, I'm using the same lightning cable I had in my car as last month, so this shouldn't be an issue.

Anti Plum
Sep 15, 2007
I've got the shity headphone jack and a dead pixel. Hopefully its a painless experience, I've never done it.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Anti Plum posted:

I've got the shity headphone jack and a dead pixel. Hopefully its a painless experience, I've never done it.

I think the apple staff are getting slightly jaded, you might have to explain two or three times, but it's still easy. I actually went in on release day without an appt to swap my 6s because it came with the metal -slightly- marked or scuffed or discolored on one corner and they were chill as can be and hooked me up with a straight new sealed box right away.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Just compared Lightning cable that came with iPhone 5 to the one that came with 6S.

The 6S one looks a BIIIIIT thicker. I mean I'm comparing them side by side with the naked eye, I don't have calipers or whatever, but yeah there seems to be a tiny bit more plastic around the connector.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Anti Plum posted:

It should be relatively painless. Just back uo your phone before going and schedule an appointment online. Last time I did this they just outright swapped it with another phone.

Scheduled an appointment for tomorrow. It's just a hassle driving to the Apple Store.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Weird. I'm mostly wondering because I really just need the part that I slide my iPhone into for the 6s, but they don't offer it yet. I could easily just get the 6 one and be fine, but I don't know why they don't just, like, offer this already.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Is there any rhyme or reason to the 3D Touch submenu for iMessage? Every time I hit it the 3 contacts are different, but an old client of mine keeps showing up there even though I probably haven't texted her in months. It would make more sense if it was the last 3 ppl you texted or your 3 most texted contacts. Either way, it doesn't seem to make sense yet, even on iOS 9.1.

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

Mahoning posted:

Is there any rhyme or reason to the 3D Touch submenu for iMessage? Every time I hit it the 3 contacts are different, but an old client of mine keeps showing up there even though I probably haven't texted her in months. It would make more sense if it was the last 3 ppl you texted or your 3 most texted contacts. Either way, it doesn't seem to make sense yet, even on iOS 9.1.

Isn't it the last 3 contacts you've texted?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Ochowie posted:

Isn't it the last 3 contacts you've texted?

Mine isn't. Currently it's the last person I texted, a person I haven't texted since Monday (10 other ppl texted in between) and someone I haven't texted in months.