Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will the Nightly Show be like?
This poll is closed.
A news parody, like the Daily Show 15 13.27%
A pundit satire, like the Colbert Report 7 6.19%
Something else entirely 91 80.53%
Total: 113 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
https://twitter.com/MichelleButeau/status/649413474368425984

quote:

"Everyone relax, they're just jokes. I'm a comic, it's Comedy Central & did what the show asked of me. Internet bullying is NOT the answer."

Man I love the, "Relax everyone it was a joke" defense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
"Did what the show asked of me"... so CC is intentionally making this show worse.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

I'm torn between that movie or 1984 for what's the biggest sign the person invoking it 'being totally real now man' A) is a complete idiot and B) hasn't seen/read it in decades.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

keevo posted:

So just to be clear your stance is she legitimately wanted to know if someone can make a sex tape on mars, that was an unironic statement and now she's hiding it in the 'it was a joke' defense, because that's how that's normally used.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I'm torn between that movie or 1984 for what's the biggest sign the person invoking it 'being totally real now man' A) is a complete idiot and B) hasn't seen/read it in decades.

Oh 1984, by far. Though personally I think the pro-eugenics cheering of the Idiocracy crowd is much more unnerving that a bunch of dullards who don't know they're not living in a dystopia.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Chris admitting he doesn't know what biometrics are is p. fun.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Finger Print scanners on every car apparently.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Mooseontheloose posted:

Finger Print scanners on every car apparently.

He meant at the rental agencies, not in individual cars. And for the sake of tracking people on temporary visas, car rental agencies would be a smart place to have such a thing.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Fingerprints are probably the most common form of biometrics.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Maxwell Lord posted:

Nah, I think Larry was on his side, he just underestimated how loving obtuse the other guests were going to be.

Even then, Larry never gives him a word in edgewise. Every three words, Larry is butting in to try to make some sort of joke or comment and it's ridiculous.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Tatum Girlparts posted:

The internet literally cannot grasp why someone wouldn't care much about the possible future generations from now of allowing the wealthy to colonize mars or whatever so anyone who says 'yea cool, what about actual things here though' must be an idiot who must be mocked. Also the nice science man from my childhood said so (at least he's not nuclear fear mongering so whatever). It's the same as 'I loving Love Science' and all, they want cool things to hold up and anyone who goes 'yea whatever' must be too stupid to get it.

Why are the rich going to colonize a barren hellscape of an all but dead planet? If we colonize Mars it's going to be poor people getting paid to go mine up some poo poo and spend a couple hundred years attempting to terraform the place into something nice enough for the rich to come and gentrify.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

So just to be clear your stance is she legitimately wanted to know if someone can make a sex tape on mars, that was an unironic statement and now she's hiding it in the 'it was a joke' defense, because that's how that's normally used.

Generally you use the just a joke defense if there was actual humor involved. It works much less effectively if the complaint is that the jokes weren't funny in addition to other complaints.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

What has been seen cannot be unseen.

Youth Decay posted:

I gotta say, there's a weird sharp undercurrent of racism to some of the TNS criticism, at least from the Bill Nye fanboys/Reddit crowd. The "he talks about race too much", "Comedy Central appeasing SJWs", "lol dumb black people" that sort of thing is pervasive. They went nuts when he brought on the two protestors who interrupted the Bernie Sanders rally and can't seem to let it go either.

Trevor Noah seems like he might bring up race on TDS a bit more than Stewart (a good thing) so it'll be interesting to see the response.

Totally agreed. I don't really care for TNS, but I really stopped watching with the whole Dzhokhar Tsarnaev should undergo forcible gender reassignment surgery and be raped in jail part. Most of the criticisms I see of the show are that white people don't like hearing a black guy talk about racism or they think he's making too much of it.

It's a shame because I actually really like Larry, and I think the show could be better. I loved him on TDS.

Edit: To your question.

Pillow Hat fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Oct 1, 2015

Milk Malk
Sep 17, 2015

HorseRenoir posted:

Even then, Larry never gives him a word in edgewise. Every three words, Larry is butting in to try to make some sort of joke or comment and it's ridiculous.

It is a comedy show, after all. I'm as much of a science fan as anyone else, but the segment wasn't supposed to be a Bill Nye interview. Honestly I thought Bill Nye was overreacting to the other panelists apparent indifference to the whole 'water on mars' thing. They were on the opposite side of the table, what else were they going to say but "so what?"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Gyges posted:

Why are the rich going to colonize a barren hellscape of an all but dead planet? If we colonize Mars it's going to be poor people getting paid to go mine up some poo poo and spend a couple hundred years attempting to terraform the place into something nice enough for the rich to come and gentrify.

Generally you use the just a joke defense if there was actual humor involved. It works much less effectively if the complaint is that the jokes weren't funny in addition to other complaints.

Any legitimate colonization attempt will be either owned through private business by the wealthy or catering to the dudes like the Virgin guy and Musk who have tons of money and a hard on for being explorers and poo poo. Getting upset doesn't change the fact that for 99% of people 'we found water on mars' means jack other than a quick 'oh, nifty' and moving on.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Any legitimate colonization attempt will be either owned through private business by the wealthy or catering to the dudes like the Virgin guy and Musk who have tons of money and a hard on for being explorers and poo poo. Getting upset doesn't change the fact that for 99% of people 'we found water on mars' means jack other than a quick 'oh, nifty' and moving on.

Or to put it another way:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goh2x_G0ct4

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Milk Malk posted:

It is a comedy show, after all. I'm as much of a science fan as anyone else, but the segment wasn't supposed to be a Bill Nye interview. Honestly I thought Bill Nye was overreacting to the other panelists apparent indifference to the whole 'water on mars' thing. They were on the opposite side of the table, what else were they going to say but "so what?"

My issue isn't that they weren't being serious enough about the subject, but that they invited him onto the show specifically to be a generic strawman for whatever lovely comedy routine they were trying to do. Why even invite Bill onto the show if he's only there so the other comedians can go "lol whatever" and laugh at him? Just put a random correspondent in a lab coat and just be done with it.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Private business is the only real way it's happening. Assuming Mars has some valuable poo poo worth the cost of keeping people alive on the planet. Wealthy space nuts are going to create a luxurious space station/colony ship way before they super loving rough it on Mars. You need an already habitable planet/moon/dwarf planet if you want to have a space colony for the rich.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

There's never going to be extraterrestrial colonization.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Motto posted:

There's never going to be extraterrestrial colonization.

Never?

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?

keevo posted:

And now she's claiming she's being cyberbullied. She played the only 2 cards she could play. I ruthlessly stole Maxwell Lord's post from above and sent it to her in a tweet and was promptly blocked. Good job, Maxwell.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

It's still pretty exciting. Pretty much all the people I've talked to or seen talking about it know they're never making it to mars but want to know more and find it amazing.

Edit: I didn't watch Jon that much during the last few months of his run and it's made me forget how awful the correspondents have become. They're loving terrible. :stare:

Chromatic fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Oct 1, 2015

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Why does everyone leap to colonization when they hear this stuff? Is it not cool enough that we're learning things about other planets?

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
In a relatively short time earth won't be inhabitable so we need another place to destroy before we move on to Jupiter.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Roy Woods Jr is fantastic

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
I think that main problem with the panel is that Larry doesn't have control. He's kind of trying to help Bill here, but he's also got two other people trying to get every possible word in edgewise. It's possible for the concept to work, but if they really want those "panel guests" on they need more of a script until they are good enough to partially wing it and Wilmore needs to have command of the room.

My initial problem with him was that it felt like he was trying to do standup from behind a desk. Yes, that's how Stewart and Colbert worked, but the desk was a very important prop and for Wilmore it was just kind of there. When the desk gets bigger he still doesn't know what to do with it.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Regardless of Trevor being inexperienced still, he is a lot more interesting to watch then Larry already.

Case in point, I don't think anyone has mentioned Larry or any standout segments for the last dozen pages.

Oh hey, people talking about a Larry segment now, let's see what it's about.

That is a lot of dislikes.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

I feel it's worth pointing out that the 2 people that everyone hates are writers from the show. You get a firsthand look on why Wilmore and his show are so bad.

Can't wait until its cancelled. Hopefully they don't get a Chris Hardwick clone to replace him.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Zero One posted:

That was a great segment.

Black Twitter.

By far the best part of that show. Roy Wood Jr. is killing it.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Chromatic posted:

I feel it's worth pointing out that the 2 people that everyone hates are writers from the show. You get a firsthand look on why Wilmore and his show are so bad.

Good lord, that whole thing suddenly makes so much more sense.

Fleedar
Aug 29, 2002
RARRUGHH!!
Lipstick Apathy

Chromatic posted:

And now she's claiming she's being cyberbullied. She played the only 2 cards she could play. I ruthlessly stole Maxwell Lord's post from above and sent it to her in a tweet and was promptly blocked.

drat dude, epic own! You and the thousand other nerds flooding her mentions with toxic poo poo right now are really showing her what's up. Keep fighting the good fight bro, high five!

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Chromatic posted:

That does make a lot of sense.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Black Twitter and Nerdy Suge Knight where some of the hardest laughs I've ever hard from TDS.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

Fleedar posted:

drat dude, epic own! You and the thousand other nerds flooding her mentions with toxic poo poo right now are really showing her what's up. Keep fighting the good fight bro, high five!

Telling her that her appearance on the show sucked was extremely toxic, I see that now. Do you have any reading material that I can peruse to educate myself further?

Chromatic fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Oct 1, 2015

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Roy Wood Jr is loving amazing. I'd be fine with every segment being him, or him and Jordan Klepper.

I'm so glad The Daily Show is back.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Kinda surprised/disappointed Trevor didn't bring up the bridge controversy at all with Christie. That story sounded so hosed up. Interview was okay, but very light. Trevor's certainly not doing bad, but I hope he can improve there.

SyRauk posted:

I need a gif of Trevor imitating Lena Dunham's Hillary spazz session.
I''m a feminist SJW weirdo and I've never had a problem with Lena Dunham (well, except for the sex workers thing) but oh my god I wanted to punch her there.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Roy Woods Jr is fantastic
He's been great so far, but I thought the segment fell a little flat. Maybe it's because the issue is so important and I hated the way they tried to play off the Black Lives Matter sentiment as an extreme that actually compares to the All Lives Matter bullshit.

Still no Jessica Williams yet, huh? We've had everyone else so far, right?

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
I know I've defended the Nightly Show before, and I still like it and I still like Larry (and Mike Yard, he's funny).

But that Bill Nye panel was just loving awful and inexcusable.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

VagueRant posted:

Kinda surprised/disappointed Trevor didn't bring up the bridge controversy at all with Christie. That story sounded so hosed up. Interview was okay, but very light. Trevor's certainly not doing bad, but I hope he can improve there.

He's not established enough to guarantee access to guests to be hostile to them just yet. Even so I expected a bridge or pigs turning around jab under the table.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Fleedar posted:

Oh get over yourself. Letting her know that the panel segment and her "jokes" on them were terrible isn't loving toxic. The assholes being racist, misogynistic and fat shaming are toxic.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
It seems like Noah is relying a little bit on the correspondents in his first few shows (not that there's anything wrong with that), I can't recall Jon ever going straight into a segment with them.

Or it could just be a format change.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

VagueRant posted:

He's been great so far, but I thought the segment fell a little flat. Maybe it's because the issue is so important and I hated the way they tried to play off the Black Lives Matter sentiment as an extreme that actually compares to the All Lives Matter bullshit.

Still no Jessica Williams yet, huh? We've had everyone else so far, right?

I thought they were showing that the All Lives Matter stuff is bullshit.

I think everyone but Jessica and the other new guy from Australia or he lives in Australia or something. I think Aasif is still technically a corespondent too.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Wow that Nightly interview with Bill Nye vs Ricky Velez and Michelle Buteau really upset a lot of Facebook people. I know this because an FB friend got so upset at the way Velez and Buteau were disregarding the significance of the possibility of water/life on Mars that they essentially wrote off all of Nightly Show as "lovely TV".

Attempted to explain that the two are comedians/contributors who were sitting in as foils for Bill Nye, he basically under no circumstances told me to stop defending said lovely TV show and proceeded to delete the topic from his wall in a fit of internet rage. Later, I went to the official FB page for the Nightly and it looks like it pissed off lots of nerds who don't really get the way Nightly does its round tables.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Oct 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Gyges posted:

I thought they were showing that the All Lives Matter stuff is bullshit.

I think everyone but Jessica and the other new guy from Australia or he lives in Australia or something. I think Aasif is still technically a corespondent too.

Hodgeman and Lewis Black are still considered contributors. Schaal too, I think.

Justin_Brett posted:

It seems like Noah is relying a little bit on the correspondents in his first few shows (not that there's anything wrong with that), I can't recall Jon ever going straight into a segment with them.

Or it could just be a format change.

His first few years were very correspondent heavy. There was a correspondent segment in every third act for the first two years and almost always a correspondent segment in the 2nd act when he moved to the current format in his 3rd (?) year.

He did a few like the one last night where it's short desk segment, correspondent segment, and then a second desk segment in the last few years. Not the common form, but not too different, no.

• Locked thread