Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

Can anyone tell me if I should spend money on the Trails in the Sky manga? I can read Japanese, but manga adaptations have a track record of being less than amazing.

how many volumes? if it's not a whole bunch it's probably super compressed, like the OVA. also manga adaptations tend to suck yeah. i can think of like two good ones, total. My gut says no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Cake Attack posted:

how many volumes? if it's not a whole bunch it's probably super compressed, like the OVA. also manga adaptations tend to suck yeah. i can think of like two good ones, total. My gut says no

It's 6 for FC. It looks like there's at least one volume for SC, but I haven't seen any others.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/361329435663

It looks like a little over a volume per game chapter?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

that's actually probably reasonable length wise but that cover art looks bad as heck so im sticking with no

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

You should buy it for me, and if it's good i'll tell you so you can buy it for yourself. a fair deal

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Cake Attack posted:

You should buy it for me, and if it's good i'll tell you so you can buy it for yourself. a fair deal

First, how much Japanese can you read? Second, how about I buy it for you and if it's good, you buy it for me? That sounds much fairer.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

I came here to ask about this. I have a Vita TV and I want to play Ys. Anything in that game that requires touch stuff that would make it impossible to play with a DS4?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Cake Attack posted:

The one in chapter 1 is the only one, you can explore the chapter 2 one for treasure but it doesn't have a quest attached. chapter 3 makes you go, chapter 4 doesn't have one.

and the answer is no. you get some items from treasure chests and there's a brief scene where you meet alba again. that's about it

Well, the Chapter 1 quest does give you some BP, so it's needed if you're going for MAX, but if you were, you'd probably already have a lot of saved games.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Cake Attack posted:

The one in chapter 1 is the only one, you can explore the chapter 2 one for treasure but it doesn't have a quest attached. chapter 3 makes you go, chapter 4 doesn't have one.

and the answer is no. you get some items from treasure chests and there's a brief scene where you meet alba again. that's about it

FC Ending spoiler:

From a plot-wise POV, it's also the only moment I can think of where Alba appears outright suspicious for a moment, before the game glosses over it again.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Erpy posted:

FC Ending spoiler:

From a plot-wise POV, it's also the only moment I can think of where Alba appears outright suspicious for a moment, before the game glosses over it again.

I shouldn't have looked at your spoiler but I thought that guy was suspicious the moment he showed up

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Interesting factoid from one of FC's artbooks; Estelle has an official herp-derp expression, that for some strange reason never ever got used. XD

Erpy fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Sep 27, 2015

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
That is also a fantastic :smuggo: expression.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Estelle's already got like twenty or fifty derpfaces anyway.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Supremezero posted:

That is also a fantastic :smuggo: expression.

Someone emoticon Estelle's smug face on SA, please.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Estelle smugface is perfect.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

this thread will not be responsible for an emoticon, not on my watch

Shinjobi posted:

Estelle smugface is perfect.

but yes this is true

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Cake Attack posted:

but yes this is true

Awww... Not even one based on Nial's "completely plastered"-expression?

Or Russell's 1.21 Giga Watts-grin?

I'm sure we could find a use for them. :keke:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Cake Attack posted:

That attitude is why Lowtax is posting threads about how desperate for revenue he is.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Erpy posted:

Interesting factoid from one of FC's artbooks; Estelle has an official herp-derp expression, that for some strange reason never ever got used. XD

That is interesting; I don't think it's revealing too much to say that said portrait doesn't even appear in the data files. It's so unused, it was never even included in the client. Oh god the lawyer ninjas are coming fo

I can sort of understand why, though; while the games can get pretty silly, they generally don't rely on truly "comic" or distorted faces and keep everyone looking kind of realistic-to-the-artstyle to make sure the dramatic scenes still have enough impact when they happen. The only real "goofy" face I can think of belongs to Olivier, and I believe that only comes out once in FC when he gets goddamn plastered courtesy of Aina and Schera. That kind of "derpface" for Estelle would look rather out-of-place and out-of-sync with the game's tone, doubly so in SC.

though yes :smuggo: estelle is one of her best portraits, her :smugjones: face is also great

Erpy posted:

Or Russell's 1.21 Giga Watts-grin?

also I am double extra salty that never got turned into a real portrait

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Sep 28, 2015

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

dis astranagant posted:

That attitude is why Lowtax is posting threads about how desperate for revenue he is.

im not giving lowtax any more money until he fixes the forums!

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

im aware of the flaw in that logic and i don't care!

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

SpaceDrake posted:

The only real "goofy" face I can think of belongs to Olivier, and I believe that only comes out once in FC when he gets goddamn plastered courtesy of Aina and Schera

I think it also shows up when they're drinking at that inn on the lake in Chapter 1. Might be remembering wrong, though.

SpaceDrake posted:

though yes :smuggo: estelle is one of her best portraits, her :smugjones: face is also great

Evil Penguins!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Didn't it show up when Estelle brained him in Grancel?

Saralene
Feb 17, 2011

Developer, Gamer, and
apparently, Vtuber

The question of life is not,
"Are you a catgirl?"
but rather, it is in fact,
"Are you a catgirl yet?"
I've actually seen that unused Estelle face in the PC version of FC's data before, although it wasn't updated for the HD version so it definitely is very unused, as far as I can tell. Personally I'm kind of sad it wasn't used at least once, though. There tend to be all kinds of interesting things in there that I can't show off, mind, but that was one I noticed when I was adding the HD assets, because of the number discrepancies.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

quote:

The only real "goofy" face I can think of belongs to Olivier, and I believe that only comes out once in FC when he gets goddamn plastered courtesy of Aina and Schera

Which we unfortunately don't actually see happening. You do see that particular expression, as others have noted, when Schera first starts getting him drunk during the party's stay at Valleria Shore and later when Estelle beats him over the head with her staff during their first meeting in Grancel.

Duke Dunan has a similar expression when the sight of Dalmore's pets causes him to faint and when he knocks himself out after you beat up his bodyguards.

But yeah, I get that Estelle's derp-expression might have been too anime-like to be used.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I was looking around the Legend of Heroes subforum on Marvelous' site, and while reading one of Tom's posts I discovered that the VA for Cold Steel's MC has been doing goofy in-character stuff:
http://sonicmega.tumblr.com/post/129545578101/rean-schwarzer-can-be-a-total-savage-when-he-wants

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

lol

also i'm very happy it's not bryce papenbrook

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
A nice little bit of fridge brilliance on Falcom's part; when she's first introduced in FC, Scherazard is reading tarot cards. The cards she gets are the Star and the Hanged Man, followed by the Hermit and the Magician and finally the inverted Wheel of Fortune.

Apparantly the Star references Estelle (her name even means "star", after the french word Etoile) and the Hanged Man references Joshua. Likewise, the Hermit apparantly references L. and the Magician card references Weissmann. A neat little detail: take a look at the Magician card of one of the most popular real-world tarot card decks and look what he's wearing around his waist. :)

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Erpy posted:

A nice little bit of fridge brilliance on Falcom's part; when she's first introduced in FC, Scherazard is reading tarot cards. The cards she gets are the Star and the Hanged Man, followed by the Hermit and the Magician and finally the inverted Wheel of Fortune.

Apparantly the Star references Estelle (her name even means "star", after the french word Etoile) and the Hanged Man references Joshua. Likewise, the Hermit apparantly references L. and the Magician card references Weissmann. A neat little detail: take a look at the Magician card of one of the most popular real-world tarot card decks and look what he's wearing around his waist. :)

Your picture is too small for me to understand what you're talking about.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
it's an ouroboros

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

[e] ^ If you want to make it entirely obvious. Yes, that. Not that pointing that out would make much sense if you haven't basically finished the game.

Supremezero posted:

Your picture is too small for me to understand what you're talking about.

It's a snake biting its own tail.

Munin fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Oct 1, 2015

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
This particular magician card, which was originally created in 1910, has a serpent eating its own tail, which is called the Ouroboros, around his waist.

I thought it was a funny coincidence.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

speaking of, the ouroboros is a symbol representing cyclicality which is a good image to co-op for the big baddies of the duology because the idea of circles and cyclicality is a recurring motif in the game. You have the tetracyclic towers, and the shining ring; the orbment designs, even the game itself is you literally doing the loop of Liberl.

Which is a cool motif to have because it ties into one of the big themes of the new generation taking the torch from the old generation. Which itself is something that ties in cleverly to the whole "ancient society" concept. Richard's deal is that he idealizes the old generation and doesn't view himself, as the new generation, as capable of taking on the torch. And so appropriately his solution is to rely on the past, while Estelle basically counters by saying they can rely on the people of Liberl, or the present and future.

it's hard to say too much about themes in a story half finished but the ideas they've built up are well executed even if not super deep or anything.

also i got one of my art books yay

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Oct 2, 2015

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Cake Attack posted:

Mine are still in the mail. :(

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Cake Attack posted:

speaking of, the ouroboros is a symbol representing cyclicality which is a good image to co-op for the big baddies of the duology because the idea of circles and cyclicality is a recurring motif in the game. You have the tetracyclic towers, and the shining ring; the orbment designs, even the game itself is you literally doing the loop of Liberl.

Which is a cool motif to have because it ties into one of the big themes of the new generation taking the torch from the old generation. Which itself is something that ties in cleverly to the whole "ancient society" concept. Richard's deal is that he idealizes the old generation and doesn't view himself, as the new generation, as capable of taking on the torch. And so appropriately his solution is to rely on the past, while Estelle basically counters by saying they can rely on the people of Liberl, or the present and future.

it's hard to say too much about themes in a story half finished but the ideas they've built up are well executed even if not super deep or anything.

Nice analysis of one of the themes.

So which artbook arrived? The big one or the small one? It turns out that the small one was originally included with the special edition of the original SC. (on PC) Its purpose was to refresh the player's memory up to the point where SC begins.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Due to what is likely similar brain damage to Cake Attack, I ended up buying the TitS manga I linked earlier. Anyone interested in a summary as I read it?

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Well, I'd be interested in the story differences between the manga/game. There's usually quite a few of them due to mangas having to cram a large story into a limited amount of pages.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Erpy posted:

Well, I'd be interested in the story differences between the manga/game. There's usually quite a few of them due to mangas having to cram a large story into a limited amount of pages.

That's precisely what I was intending.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Some Numbers posted:

Due to what is likely similar brain damage to Cake Attack, I ended up buying the TitS manga I linked earlier. Anyone interested in a summary as I read it?

Only if it doesn't have spoilers for SC, since that's due out any week now. :shepicide: ...Any week now...

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Oh don't worry it'll take me a while to get through all six volumes of FC, since my Japanese comprehension is still mediocre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Out of curiosity, is the manga series you bought the one below?

http://mangafox.me/manga/eiyuudensetsu_sora_no_kiseki/

I believe OMGFloofy once translated part of it, but I don't think it was finished.

• Locked thread