Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Soulex posted:

I Killed British - My future poop said mean things in chat

Most glorious thread title on SA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
I missed the WOW griefing a few pages back, but one of the funniest moments from when I used to raid was before a particularly tricky encounter (for us anyhow) the raid leader set about explaining the fight in detail, and it was the kinda fight where if you made a mistake the whole group may end up dead. I was pretty much perpetually a healing priest in raids, and I was real life friends with the other healers so we were pretty casual about the whole thing, we knew the fight, we were pretty coordinated, etc.

So while the boss man was explaining, we amused ourselves. There was an event going on that had these torches you could throw at other players, and we had a ton of them, so me and healing druid#1 were chain-firing them at about a rate of 20-30 a second. Healing druid #2 was jumping down in-between us right under the arc of flaming sticks when all of the sudden the raid leader shouts "ARE THE HEALERS EVEN PAYING ANY ATTENTION?!"

There is a moment of silence before I meekly offered "...yes?" before my character was pelted by about 50 torches, convulsing wildly through animation as the whole raid turned to look at the 3 stooges healing act.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

axelsoar posted:

I missed the WOW griefing a few pages back, but one of the funniest moments from when I used to raid was before a particularly tricky encounter (for us anyhow) the raid leader set about explaining the fight in detail, and it was the kinda fight where if you made a mistake the whole group may end up dead. I was pretty much perpetually a healing priest in raids, and I was real life friends with the other healers so we were pretty casual about the whole thing, we knew the fight, we were pretty coordinated, etc.

So while the boss man was explaining, we amused ourselves. There was an event going on that had these torches you could throw at other players, and we had a ton of them, so me and healing druid#1 were chain-firing them at about a rate of 20-30 a second. Healing druid #2 was jumping down in-between us right under the arc of flaming sticks when all of the sudden the raid leader shouts "ARE THE HEALERS EVEN PAYING ANY ATTENTION?!"

There is a moment of silence before I meekly offered "...yes?" before my character was pelted by about 50 torches, convulsing wildly through animation as the whole raid turned to look at the 3 stooges healing act.

This is the griefing thread.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Making tryhards mad will always be welcome here, friend

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

As a former try hard, it is absolutely ok to make us mad and talk about it here.

Oh the rage over simple things, like standing in doorways in FPS games

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I was a tryhard when I was an adolescent but thankfully I overcame that mental handicap and figured out that you can have fun with video games without turning them into a chore

and that's how I became a prolific shitposter, thank you for listening

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Soulex posted:

As a former try hard, it is absolutely ok to make us mad and talk about it here.

Oh the rage over simple things, like standing in doorways in FPS games

Oh man gives me a great idea. In mechwarrior online people often will stand behind the edge of a building or wall and peek around, shoot, and duck back behind. Pretty common practice of peek and poking.

All one need to do against these people is stand behind them and keep them from being able to duck back behind cover.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

Willfrey posted:

Oh man gives me a great idea. In mechwarrior online people often will stand behind the edge of a building or wall and peek around, shoot, and duck back behind. Pretty common practice of peek and poking.

All one need to do against these people is stand behind them and keep them from being able to duck back behind cover.

You'd actually be making the game better for everyone else too!

AxisofIdiocy
Mar 5, 2009

What do you mean this
isn't the ketchup?
I've been messing with Team Fortress 2 streamers by picking Spy and backstabbing them repeatedly.

Somewhere along the line, I got it in me to record their frustration and make a little montage video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0i_tRiUuFbM

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 44 hours!

AxisofIdiocy posted:

I've been messing with Team Fortress 2 streamers by picking Spy and backstabbing them repeatedly.

Somewhere along the line, I got it in me to record their frustration and make a little montage video.

It's pretty low effort but the magic is in their reactions. They're streaming with facecams and are wondering why somebody seems to be deliberately targeting them.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

AxisofIdiocy posted:

i bet you're not even a pretty lady

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
Nice work with the clips of Jim from The Office, too.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

AxisofIdiocy posted:

this loving owns

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

AxisofIdiocy posted:

This is pretty good, half the magic is in the editing.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

AxisofIdiocy posted:

You're pretty good :ocelot:

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Seeking out facecam'd people to own is a brilliant strategy and I hope to see more of that method in the future.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
a pretty lady's gonna die

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Mortimer posted:

I like to grief teammates/opponents in rocket league by only going for demolitions

sometimes it works really well

the bonus is it griefs everyone but you at the same time
Constantly ramming and demolishing the opposing team's lead playmaker is a legitimate strategy and has turned more than one game around for my usual team.

Coolguye posted:

Essentially. If you're a pr0 mLg type that practices the fundamentals of CoD/basics of CQC, these perks probably constitute a fair chunk of the damage you take and the deaths you experience, which inevitably means that it must be bad and you hate it.

There are ways to play around both perks (defensive/cautious play helps a lot with both), but CoD4 has a lot of small and short range maps, and aggression tends to pay well for the rest of the game. So if you've got a one-track mind you don't want to break that aggressive streak when it becomes obvious there's a lot of Last Stand and Martyrdom in play. Probably because it requires, you know, thought.
When the servers started to have rolling chat messages about how Martyrdom was banned I started running around Shipment with a primed stun grenade. Shipment is CoD4's tiniest map and was often used by boosters because it basically forced you to kill or be killed every few seconds. At higher player count free-for-alls the spawnkill prevention was overwhelmed and players would often spawn right behind others for free kills or be forced to spawn in view of a camper. Now, stun grenades would affect anyone hit by slowing their movement to a crawl and swinging their aim around with lots of dead weight. Having it primed and charging straight up to someone you could either knife them or die and have the grenade instantly go off. Combine this with Martyrdom and a small map, and you could stun clusters of people who would be stuck rolling around like Jordan Belfort on Quaaludes until your second grenade went off and killed them. On the overloaded servers you'd often get killed by a spawn camper and your Martyrdom grenade would kill him and the next guy or two who spawned in right after you. Even if your grenade didn't get them the stun effect meant anyone who showed up had a complete turkey shoot available to them.

If I remember correctly there was another perk called Sonic Boom that increased the radius of all your explosives. Stack it with the above and you are instantly the most hated person on the server.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Oct 4, 2015

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

AxisofIdiocy posted:

More of this please.

Also good editing/stuff with Jim

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one

AxisofIdiocy posted:

This is loving fantastic and way better than most of the stuff posted here. Do more videos.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

AxisofIdiocy posted:

This is why this thread exists.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
that legit had me laughing.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

AxisofIdiocy posted:

This is great. Please continue to do God's work :)

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

AxisofIdiocy posted:

The staredog edit is probably the best part of this. And all of it is fantastic. Keep on doing what you're doing.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Can we get the full clip of the Best Acting Ever stab?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

That is simply amazing.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

AxisofIdiocy posted:

A Good Post! :thumbsup:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Apparently stamping on enemy players on the last turn in a blood bowl match annoys people. Go look at the blood bowl thread.

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

The Turn 16 Spite Foul is a long and storied part of Blood Bowl tradition.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

dogstile posted:

Apparently stamping on enemy players on the last turn in a blood bowl match annoys people. Go look at the blood bowl thread.

What is this, griefing thread homework? Bring it to us, mate.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Turn 16 Fouling has been something that expresses pure contempt and/or disregard for a long, long time.

Naturally, most veteran Blood Bowl players do it.

For those that aren't aware, Blood Bowl is a turn based, strategic game that is kind of a hyper-violent mix between rugby and American football. It's important to understand what I mean by hyper-violent. Any time a player on either team falls over, be it from a block, running too hard, slipping on ice, whatever, they have to roll 2d6 dice to see if their armor protected them from the shock. If the shown value exceeds their armor (most players have armor 8) then they got injured. You then roll another 2d6 to see what the injury is. Most of the time this is a simple stun, which makes the injured player lose a turn, but it can get much worse than that. Serious injuries can permanently handicap the player's stats (and potentially make them worthless), or even kill them outright.

Typically, to get a test on armor and injury, you need to knock over an enemy player, which has its own set of difficulties in setting up. The way you get around this is by using a Foul. If a player is already down, you can basically order one of your players to go over and kick him in the head while he's on his rear end. This immediately causes another armor (and, potentially, injury) roll, with no other hurdles to jump. The risk you take is that if either roll comes up as doubles (snake eyes, 2 and 2, 3 and 3, etc) the referee sees the foul and ejects the player who initiated it from the game. Since running out of players is a real problem against some teams in Blood Bowl, fouling can make a lot of sense.

Turn 16 is the last turn of a regular Blood Bowl game. While almost any other turn has a potential downside to fouling, initiating a foul on turn 16 has no downside, really. If your player gets caught fouling, he's ejected for the remainder of 30 seconds in the game, and will be back next game, no problems at all. The downside is potentially quite high for the person you're fouling, though. If you get lucky and roll well, they could have a player ruined or killed at a stage in the game where it makes no difference to that particular game. If you had a chance of scoring and changing the outcome, you wouldn't be risking a foul. So it's an entirely malicious tactic that could destroy a special snowflake on your opponent's team, while posing absolutely no risk to your own.

The reason this doesn't come up more often is because as spiteful as this sounds, it's kind of par for the course in Blood Bowl. Nobody is nice while playing that game.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Oct 4, 2015

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Blood Bowl is a fantasy american football table top game. You have 16 turns (per player) to score as many points as possible, but you can also injure opposing players. Fouling is an action you can do once per turn in game and based on some modifiers you have a higher chance of injuring someone, but you can only do it if the opposing player is on the ground. You usually foul in order to remove problem players so it is easier to win the game in latter turns.

Fouling in turn 16 is a pure spite manuever: you are potentially injuring someone (some injuries stay on the player from game to game, or the player can even be killed) and it gives you no advantage because that match is gonna be over and you will never probably face that team again. So there is no reason to do apart from trying to wreck someone else's team. Which is why e-bushido types think it is trollish to do.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Thanks for the writeups guys, you explained that better than I could. Here's the highlights so far.

Dabir posted:

What is this, griefing thread homework? Bring it to us, mate.

Fair enough

dogstile posted:

I had a game against a wood elf team where nuffle smiled on him. I failed 80% of my rolls, the majority of my blocks ended up being double pushes and every single time a guy was "going for it" he tripped, even on a reroll.

Retaliated on turn 16 by surrounding one of his best lineman and gang stomping out of sheer frustration. The fucker wasn't even stunned at 100%. gently caress you elves.

ProZocK posted:

gently caress you man, turn 16 fouling is bullshit.

Haroshia posted:

I'm sorry the pixelmans made you angry :smugdog:

Magnetic North posted:

I know many goons disagree with me, but this is how I think of T16 fouling:

What is generally considered unacceptable behavior for Blood Bowl? Poor sportsmanship (insults, complaining), intentional slow-play, quitting a game, T16 Fouls. I think this can be divided into the two things: things in the rules, and things outside the rules.

There are no rules about complaining about how your opponent is 'flash flash flash' all the time, or regarding talking about your opponent's promiscuous mother. But this is outside of the purview of the rules. The same goes for intentional slow play.

What about quitting when someone kills your favorite precious snowflake or fouls on turn 16? Those are both within the rules of the game, but there is a difference. The concession rules are more a matter of reality, to allow completion if someone should have to leave before a game is done. It's not really in there as a anger outlet valve, but it can be misused in that way, and it's not like you can have no rule for a concession. On the other hand, fouling is also a part of the game. I'm not a BB historian, but I imagine it necessary because otherwise players could leave their valuable pieces laying down on the pitch so they could not be blocked anymore. It also can discourage stalling. Unlike ragequitting, a T16 foul is not an incorrect usage of a necessary part of the game.

Now, don't get me wrong. T16 fouls are a bad idea: they gain you basically nothing. Casualties from fouls grant no SPP. In a normal round-robin tourney, you are weakening an opponent that you will not face again, which makes it easier on your other opponents, who may gain more SPP than they would have before facing you. Unless the opponent is a lock for the playoffs and you are too, the only thing it gets you is a little sick, twisted satisfaction from putting the boot in on Turn 16.

So, where do we draw the line? Well, consider what you could get away with in person. If someone whined the whole game about getting diced, or mocked their opponent non-stop, or intentionally played slow to irritate their opponent, or quit when something went wrong, people might not willingly play with them anymore. It's still prevalent online because that shunning is less of an option there (unless you play in a curated league like MHI or something), since you have a huge pool of random people you won't see again. Also, consider that those behaviors are not specific to Blood Bowl. You can imagine the same thing happening when playing Magic or Bridge or Monopoly.

T16 fouls are different. They are not a matter of bad behavior in the same way. It is a poor tactical choice that can harm your opponent and gains you nothing, but it is allowed in the rules of the game. There are compelling reasons not to do it. It's moderately impolite. But it is just not as bad as people make it out to be. If you want to do it, you should feel free to stomp your little heart out. But be ready for an intensely negative response.

tl;dr T16 fouls now, T16 fouls tomorrow, and T16 fouls forever.

FoolyCharged posted:

T16 fouls are completely polite as long as you do them right, namely:
Announce that this unskilled lineman with no spp has a lovely name. Proceed to murder him allowing the coach to have a reason to come up with a better named lineman improving his team. Everyone profits.

Funso Banjo posted:

Fouling on turn 16 is only reasonable. But you should do it when you win, too. Don't do it just because you're pissed off.

dogstile posted:

This is only going to make me do it more if i'm having a bad game. E-honour bullshit is bullshit.

ProZocK posted:

This is not about E-honour bullshit. E-Honor bullshit is when someone starts complaining that you are stalling at the end line. That`s bullshit.

Fouling has a place in the game, it`s a needed mechanic, but when you use it just to vent because you got mad at losing the game, you just show how much of a baby you are.

What strategic reason can you give for fouling on turn 16?

dogstile posted:

It makes people mad and strategically that's really funny.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Oct 4, 2015

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

You're good people, dogstile.

ProZocK
Apr 22, 2013
Here, to make up for dicing you, multiple times, have some nice, calm text.
Well poo poo, guess I got griefed! Should have been more savvy I guess. :xd:

Good job dogstile.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

ProZocK posted:

Good job dogstile.

lmao you giant baby

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

ProZocK posted:

Good job dogstile.

You should play dogstile in that game and then post about it here.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Strategically that's really funny is a good thread title too

AxisofIdiocy
Mar 5, 2009

What do you mean this
isn't the ketchup?

Croccers posted:

Can we get the full clip of the Best Acting Ever stab?

Yeah man. I actually got a lot of people asking me about that. Here's the clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhVQ_3LOqZc

Anyway thanks for the love, dudes.
I'm hoping to get a couple more montage vids pinched off before TF2 Matchmaking hits and stream sniping this game becomes impossible.

AxisofIdiocy fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Oct 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

AxisofIdiocy posted:

Yeah man. I actually got a lot of people asking me about that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhVQ_3LOqZc

Anyway thanks for the love, dudes.
I'm hoping to get a couple more of these pinched off before TF2 Matchmaking hits and stream sniping this game becomes impossible.

Whoa, what?

• Locked thread