Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

david_a posted:

A:R gave me a lasting, irrational dislike for Joss Whedon. Partly for writing the awful script to begin with, but also for complaining about all the rad stuff in his script they rewrote/threw away even though all his ideas were worse than what was in the movie. He wanted a ridiculous jeep chase scene through a crop field(!) inside the giant ship that read like some kind of horrible Jurassic Park crossover fanfic.
It's been a while since I read huis original script (or watched the movie for that matter) but Whedon's A:R really comes across like a proto-Firefly.
Whedon has a bad tendency to not take responsibility for his own failings. Having said that, Resurrection isn't entirely his fault. It's a bad pairing between a decent script and a (good) director ill-suited to direct it. Jennet' stuff is great, but I don't think he really "got" Whedon's script. A lot of stuff meant to be played straight in the script is done for laughs, and vice versa.

I think a good movie could have been done from Whedon's script, but I think it was sort of doomed from the start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

lizardman posted:

Didn't mean to dogpile, my apologies. I was just motivated to make sure it got through to you because I can just see this kind of thing happening all over again in some other thread about another movie. I'll drop it.
I apologize for drawing the issue out earlier in the thread, too. I should have taken the hint sooner. :hfive:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I like to think Jeunet decided to make Resurrection into a comedy because the script was so loving awful and even that didn't save it.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Lt. Danger posted:

In fact, those opinions say very little about the work and much more about me - so why would I share them with a bunch of strangers interested in having a real discussion?

because maybe strangers find you interesting and would like to know more about you, so you weren't strangers anymore and maybe made friends :)

not you you, obviously, but a hypothetical person who was interesting and worth making friends with

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Timby posted:

I generally like Blomkamp's stuff but the whole thing reeks of him just wanting to play with his toys.

I admit there's this small part of me that's kind of rooting for the project just because I get this impression as if this Alien movie is Blomkamp's dream project that his career so far has basically been an audition for.

But I don't like what I'm seeing in the storyboards. Looks like the company (or the military, or both) have captured/bred xenomorphs and are putting them to use in what looks like some silly ways? Not only does it remind me too much of Resurrection, it doesn't look scary or thrilling at all and I'm not even sure it's trying to be. I want a scary Alien movie again, dammit!

I'll confess that the rumored "interquel between Aliens and Alien 3" concept is rather brilliant in its gamesmanship, but I can't fathom how they'd make that work with Weaver and Bien's ages unless it was going to be an animated movie or something.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Ant Man gave me hope that they could pull off something like that, what with how perfect "young Michael Douglas" looked. I wouldn't be opposed to a movie with digitally de-aged Ripley.

On the topic of scary Alien, yes I know it's a part of ~*~the expanded universe~*~ but the Alien Isolation video game is loving fantastic and scary as heck. The art design is fantastic (if a little overwrought in some regards), it doesn't just play out like an "Alien greatest hits" and tries to be its own thing while still understanding what made the movie scary and compelling, and it's all around gorgeous and a lot of fun if you like the first movie.

The voice actress for Amanda Ripley is a little shaky, and it's a long game (and starts to outstay it's welcome by the last chapter or so), but it's still a great ride.

And :spooky: SCARY GAMES MONTH :spooky: starts tomorrow, too. :toot:

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Xenomrph posted:

Ant Man gave me hope that they could pull off something like that, what with how perfect "young Michael Douglas" looked. I wouldn't be opposed to a movie with digitally de-aged Ripley.

On the topic of scary Alien, yes I know it's a part of ~*~the expanded universe~*~ but the Alien Isolation video game is loving fantastic and scary as heck. The art design is fantastic (if a little overwrought in some regards), it doesn't just play out like an "Alien greatest hits" and tries to be its own thing while still understanding what made the movie scary and compelling, and it's all around gorgeous and a lot of fun if you like the first movie.

The voice actress for Amanda Ripley is a little shaky, and it's a long game (and starts to outstay it's welcome by the last chapter or so), but it's still a great ride.

And :spooky: SCARY GAMES MONTH :spooky: starts tomorrow, too. :toot:

I thought it was ok. I agreed with many of the reviewers in that the Alien AI was a weakness and not a strength as it could be really inconsistent at times. I was also kind of annoyed at the games over reliance on the androids when the human passengers were much more interesting and it was nice that the Alien actually interacted with them.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I found the Alien's inconsistency to be part of what made it scarier, but I can see how it could stray too far into "unfair frustrating bullshit" territory.
The Alien also learned from your actions, so your deterrents would become less useful over time.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Alien Isolation does look pretty rad and spooky. I don't even need the Alien movies to be as overtly horror as that, either, I'm perfectly willing to have an Aliens-style "relentlessly intense action" type of scary.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

lizardman posted:

I admit there's this small part of me that's kind of rooting for the project just because I get this impression as if this Alien movie is Blomkamp's dream project that his career so far has basically been an audition for.

But I don't like what I'm seeing in the storyboards. Looks like the company (or the military, or both) have captured/bred xenomorphs and are putting them to use in what looks like some silly ways? Not only does it remind me too much of Resurrection, it doesn't look scary or thrilling at all and I'm not even sure it's trying to be. I want a scary Alien movie again, dammit!

I'll confess that the rumored "interquel between Aliens and Alien 3" concept is rather brilliant in its gamesmanship, but I can't fathom how they'd make that work with Weaver and Bien's ages unless it was going to be an animated movie or something.

Nobody got upset when AVP was remade - and, therefore, retconned out of existence. (Or that Predator 2's 'non canon' because it takes place in a comic-book dystopia.)

In the same sense that Prometheus incorporates unused concepts from the 70s, the likely and ideal outcome for Alienses would be to incorporate elements from the various rejected Alien 3 drafts, and actually set it on Earth or something.

The weird fear that Blomkamp "won't take Alien seriously" doesn't make sense when most of the films in the series are comedies and/or campy action-adventure deals. Even Alien is a little bit goofy. Fincher's nihilistic, and humorless slog is an anomaly.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
Blomkamp is withholding the subtitle of Alien 5 because it's supposedly a major spoiler. It's probably going to involve time travel fuckery or some such nonsense.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Alien Vs. Terminator :dance:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

He should remake Alienator.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

"Alien 5: Shrek is in it"

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Nobody got upset when AVP was remade - and, therefore, retconned out of existence. (Or that Predator 2's 'non canon' because it takes place in a comic-book dystopia.)
AvP hasn't been remade (and therefore, hasn't been retconned out of anything).
Likewise, Predator2's setting doesn't have anything to do with anything, seeing as how it's fiction.

lizardman posted:

Alien Isolation does look pretty rad and spooky. I don't even need the Alien movies to be as overtly horror as that, either, I'm perfectly willing to have an Aliens-style "relentlessly intense action" type of scary.
'Aliens' being scary is one of those things pop culture fairly consistently forgets, and it's a real shame. Like yeah the movie has really solid action and a lot of quippy, memorable one liners, but the one-liners are either front-loaded in the movie before the poo poo hits the fan, or said in disbelieving response to something awful happening. And the action almost entirely has the protagonists on the back foot and is pretty much never cathartic, with the exception of Ripley in the power loader, and even that turns around and almost gets her killed.

Pop culture often focuses on the Marines blasting the Aliens and treating the Aliens like cannon fodder monsters, but in the actual movie, they're a constant real threat that out-think the Marines at almost every turn. It's really unfortunate that so many things missed the point.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Xenomrph posted:

'Aliens' being scary is one of those things pop culture fairly consistently forgets, and it's a real shame.

The bit right after they've landed and are creeping through the colony is one of the most unbearably tense scenes I've ever seen, it's up there with the 'silent room' in Cube.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Immortan posted:

Blomkamp is withholding the subtitle of Alien 5 because it's supposedly a major spoiler. It's probably going to involve time travel fuckery or some such nonsense.

Alien 5: Hicks Dies Again

I'm not sure I understand this though honestly, like is the title of the movie "And then Ripley puts in the access code in time but then it turns out one of the eggs hatched just before they..."

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Clipperton posted:

The bit right after they've landed and are creeping through the colony is one of the most unbearably tense scenes I've ever seen, it's up there with the 'silent room' in Cube.

That's why I don't like the extended cut. It removes a lot of the tension. I love that the colony just goes dark. Not "the colony has been attacked" it just stops talking.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

ruddiger posted:

He should remake Alienator.

I love you for reminding me of this wonderful film. :3:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
If I did a new Alien movie, it would be about a soldier being transformed into a Xenomorph-like creature by the military. And finding his thought process and emotions slwoly changing into something else as time goes on...

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

MonsieurChoc posted:

If I did a new Alien movie, it would be about a soldier being transformed into a Xenomorph-like creature by the military. And finding his thought process and emotions slwoly changing into something else as time goes on...

Xenoborg spotted

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
I always thought one of the weird things about Alien 3 is that it's sort of structured like a mystery but you already know the answer. If you pretend the other Alien films don't exist, and you don't know anything about how the facehuggers and stuff work, Ripley is a really mysterious character - what's she hiding? What does she know? Why does she demand an autopsy on Newt? Is she crazy or not?

But the audience already knows all that poo poo, so there's no tension. It's interesting, because it would otherwise have been a cool way to introduce the mechanisms of the alien creature, in some parallel universe where Alien 1 never did it first.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Xenomrph posted:

AvP hasn't been remade (and therefore, hasn't been retconned out of anything).

AVP was remade as Prometheus. The two films have the exact same plot.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Guess which movie I'm talking about.
We open with a glimpse into the past, as well as a look into what is to come. We meet our heroes who are experts in archeology and other things. We find them on a ship owned by Mr. Weyland, a rich billionaire who has funded an expedition to discover an ancient structure in a hostile landscape. We meet our supporting characters, which include the nerdy, eccentric man, and a gruff, annoyed blue collar man. They enter the structure and discover dead bodies with their chests exploded open. No idea why. They activate a device deep inside the structure which triggers a chain of events. The nerdy man and the gruff man become lost inside the structure and end up being attacked by a vicious creature. Mr. Weyland needs to know whatever he can about this expedition because he is dying. The main character loses all of her friends and colleagues and is forced into dealing with these forces, on her own. But luckily, she finds an unexpected alliance with an alien life-form, who helps her defeat the monster and lives to fight another day.

Oh and then she flies away in a spaceship with a robot head.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

AVP was remade as Prometheus. The two films have the exact same plot.

Regardless, there are plenty of "formula sequels" (for instance) that do exactly that but certainly don't override the movie they're remaking. If Prometheus writes AVP out of continuity, I would suspect it'd be in discrepancies. I'm not sure if what we learn of the Weyland company/family is fully reconcilable with what's depicted in AVP (or maybe it is, I don't know, just a hypothetical).

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I read somewhere that at one point the script was going to kill Bishop and Ripley off (probably not in the goddamn opening scene) and that the climax was going to be Newt defeating the alien on her own. That sounds like it would've been a lot more interesting and acceptable as a film.

But no I guess we gotta make everything about Ripley.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Clipperton posted:

I'm partial to the Aliens' assault on Ops - the shot of Hicks poking his head up into the ceiling with the flashlight, and then the shot turns around and you see this mass of Aliens crawling towards him, is loving perfect.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Xenomrph posted:

I'm partial to the Aliens' assault on Ops - the shot of Hicks poking his head up into the ceiling with the flashlight, and then the shot turns around and you see this mass of Aliens crawling towards him, is loving perfect.

Those scenes where they're just getting swarmed are so effective. I still can't get my head around the fact that they only had like eight Alien suits for the whole movie.

I can't completely accept that Jeremy Irons isn't really twins either.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Lurdiak posted:

I read somewhere that at one point the script was going to kill Bishop and Ripley off (probably not in the goddamn opening scene) and that the climax was going to be Newt defeating the alien on her own. That sounds like it would've been a lot more interesting and acceptable as a film.

But no I guess we gotta make everything about Ripley.
Well, that's the reality of film making. We might think it's a series about some nasty aliens but as a movie series it was reliant on Sigourney Weaver.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

david_a posted:

Well, that's the reality of film making. We might think it's a series about some nasty aliens but as a movie series it was reliant on Sigourney Weaver.

It really wasn't until Alien 3. And people hated the movie, just like they hated 4, which also is inexplicably about Ripley even though she died. Those AVP movies are complete poo poo but I'm pretty sure they made more money than either 3 or 4, so clearly the public didn't care about Ripley all that much.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Lurdiak posted:

It really wasn't until Alien 3. And people hated the movie, just like they hated 4, which also is inexplicably about Ripley even though she died. Those AVP movies are complete poo poo but I'm pretty sure they made more money than either 3 or 4, so clearly the public didn't care about Ripley all that much.

They all made about the same ($130-170 million).

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Measuring care with money is bad.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yeah, probably. I still don't buy that the series was ever intended to be "the story of Ripley.", or that the public ever saw it as such.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Using "Don't buy" as a cipher for 'don't accept as true' is not bad per se but still kinda funny.

I think of it, like, is Blade Runner about androids, or is it more specifically about Deckard or Roy? When you look at it, the Alien series is about an evil corporation that fucks things over. That's the most consistent string. IMO it's more relevant having them and a Ripley trying to mess with them than it is to have the Xenomorphs. You could have another kind of alien - or maybe the alien...is ourselves?!?!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
It's the story of Ripley because Sigourney Weaver was the breakout star of Alien, and therefore the studio wanted her back for a sequel(s). Especially once it got to Alien 3 and Resurrection, I don't think the studio was going to put nearly as much money into the project as they did if Weaver wasn't involved. They must have felt like audiences needed to see her for it to feel like a true Alien movie because they kept increasing her pay exponentially every time she decided to come back.

Of course if you listen to Weaver herself talk about it she'll always emphasize that her hesitations were about the scripts, and her protectiveness of the Ripley character. The fact is though Weaver was given huge pay increases every time she came back to the role.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Hbomberguy posted:

I think of it, like, is Blade Runner about androids, or is it more specifically about Deckard or Roy? When you look at it, the Alien series is about an evil corporation that fucks things over. That's the most consistent string. IMO it's more relevant having them and a Ripley trying to mess with them than it is to have the Xenomorphs. You could have another kind of alien - or maybe the alien...is ourselves?!?!

It depends what you mean by "about" in this particular case. I think in the public eye and pop culture influence, Blade Runner is more "about" the city than any of the characters in it. The story is about what it means to be human, but the MOVIE might be more about Deckard's character arc.

I'm just saying that Alien as a franchise isn't (or wasn't) as much about its central character as something like Terminator was. 3 made it about her, and it did an all right job of making that work thematically, but I think the movie ultimately suffered by focusing too much on Ripley and her trauma and not enough on everything else in the previous films. There's been a lot of peripheral Alien material that didn't feature Ripley at all and still worked, in my opinion. Because it kept the themes consistent, and the themes are more important than Ripley as a character.

Basebf555 posted:

Of course if you listen to Weaver herself talk about it she'll always emphasize that her hesitations were about the scripts, and her protectiveness of the Ripley character. The fact is though Weaver was given huge pay increases every time she came back to the role.

I think that protectiveness also harmed the film.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

Guess which movie I'm talking about.
We open with a glimpse into the past, as well as a look into what is to come. We meet our heroes who are experts in archeology and other things. We find them on a ship owned by Mr. Weyland, a rich billionaire who has funded an expedition to discover an ancient structure in a hostile landscape. We meet our supporting characters, which include the nerdy, eccentric man, and a gruff, annoyed blue collar man. They enter the structure and discover dead bodies with their chests exploded open. No idea why. They activate a device deep inside the structure which triggers a chain of events. The nerdy man and the gruff man become lost inside the structure and end up being attacked by a vicious creature. Mr. Weyland needs to know whatever he can about this expedition because he is dying. The main character loses all of her friends and colleagues and is forced into dealing with these forces, on her own. But luckily, she finds an unexpected alliance with an alien life-form, who helps her defeat the monster and lives to fight another day.

Oh and then she flies away in a spaceship with a robot head.

:stare:
holy poo poo.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Yeah it's extra funny when Ridley Scott got all pissed at Damon Lindelof for even speaking of AvP in his presence, given that Prometheus is basically AvP Redux (and in some cases, with better characters. There I said it :can: )

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

In Prometheus' defense, at least the movie doesnt look like it was shot in a week-end in a rejected set from Stargate SG-1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Oh Prometheus is a much better looking movie by far. Also AvP doesn't have David. :allears: