Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

shadow puppet of a posted:

Please dont spoil the time that the whole fleet turned out to celebrate Admiral Nechayev day and the crew of the USS Gallico made her a life sized statue out of pimento cheese log.

Because that ep was too heavy on the Ezri and so it was crap.

Also, big deal, they dialed Admiral Nechayev Cheese Log into a replicator, who can't do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Blazing Ownager posted:

I think has one of the sincerely funniest endings of any Trek series, and mostly because holy poo poo did it get darker than Trek usually would go. Which was hilarious.

Also the fact there was a payoff for that douche Vorta. Just when you thought he'd smugly got away with it, they drag him into that episode.

I have always wondered what the writers' meeting was like for The Magnificent Ferengi, was Rick Berman like "ok we have this Vorta POW character who we could bring back, that was a popular episode, any ideas there?" Yeah how about a ferengi episode, no B plot, just all of the ferengis who have ever been on the show plus a few I made up, they all team up to rescue Quark's mom. "Hmm... I'm listening!"

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

MikeJF posted:

Also, big deal, they dialed Admiral Nechayev Cheese Log into a replicator, who can't do that.

But that just gets you Necheyev-milk derived cheese! Syntax is a common replication problem.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ralp posted:

I have always wondered what the writers' meeting was like for The Magnificent Ferengi, was Rick Berman like "ok we have this Vorta POW character who we could bring back, that was a popular episode, any ideas there?" Yeah how about a ferengi episode, no B plot, just all of the ferengis who have ever been on the show plus a few I made up, they all team up to rescue Quark's mom. "Hmm... I'm listening!"

"Needs a little pizzaz" "IGGY POP" "okay I'm in"

Also Rick Berman wasn't really involved in DS9, he just signed off on the scripts after glancing at them. Ira Steven Behr was the DS9 showrunner.

Behr was great. They asked him in to ask him about Enterprise as it was getting off the ground, see if maybe they could lure him on.

Behr's memory: "Rick called me up, it was his initiative. He asked me had I seen Enterprise, I told him no. He asked if I could look at it - they were thinking maybe of stepping back and that "this be another DS9 experience," whatever that meant. I didn't really think it over in terms of what were the chances of that reality happening again. They sent me the three shows, I went in, had a two hour meeting with Rick and Brannon. It was a very cordial meeting, but everything I said I am sure they did not like hearing. I would not liked to have heard it if someone came into my office and talked as bluntly as I was talking to them. Though again, it was done all cordially. After it was over I am sure they were uncomfortable, I was very uncomfortable, we shook hands, Rick said, "well, all interesting stuff, we'll think it over," and I never heard from him again."

Braga's memory: "I needed help. We brought in Ira. And he poo poo all over the show. I mean, he poo poo on the show like I have never heard. All the crabby internet stuff balled into one nuclear weapon. He hated the show, hated the characters, hated the concept, just thought it was a piece of poo poo. It was one hell of a job interview. I don’t even know why he came, to be honest."

:allears:

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Oct 1, 2015

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Ralp posted:

Apprently they were supposed to be rescuing Zek but the actor wasn't around. A Ferengi dirty half dozen team to rescue the grand nagus does make a bit more sense.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

That time everyone detected that positronic signature.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
It's just a scene from star trek online.

Thank god you're here, you are the only level 50 starship we could call on to complete this quest.

*surrounded by assortment of ships responding to one distress call*

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I played Star Trek Online right up until they made me flap about in some awful ship when I just wanted to walk around tricordering things and being an aloof science officer that doesn't even bother learning anyone's name if they wear the gold.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
It's one of those MMOs that are OK leveling up from noob to level cap and then all the end game content is poo poo and confusing.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
Also the one thing missing from the Magnificent Ferengi is that Quark didn't dress up as a woman at all during the episode.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

MikeJF posted:

Also Rick Berman wasn't really involved in DS9, he just signed off on the scripts after glancing at them. Ira Steven Behr was the DS9 showrunner.

Behr was great. They asked him in to ask him about Enterprise as it was getting off the ground, see if maybe they could lure him on.

Behr's memory: "Rick called me up, it was his initiative. He asked me had I seen Enterprise, I told him no. He asked if I could look at it - they were thinking maybe of stepping back and that "this be another DS9 experience," whatever that meant. I didn't really think it over in terms of what were the chances of that reality happening again. They sent me the three shows, I went in, had a two hour meeting with Rick and Brannon. It was a very cordial meeting, but everything I said I am sure they did not like hearing. I would not liked to have heard it if someone came into my office and talked as bluntly as I was talking to them. Though again, it was done all cordially. After it was over I am sure they were uncomfortable, I was very uncomfortable, we shook hands, Rick said, "well, all interesting stuff, we'll think it over," and I never heard from him again."

Braga's memory: "I needed help. We brought in Ira. And he poo poo all over the show. I mean, he poo poo on the show like I have never heard. All the crabby internet stuff balled into one nuclear weapon. He hated the show, hated the characters, hated the concept, just thought it was a piece of poo poo. It was one hell of a job interview. I don’t even know why he came, to be honest."

Lol what "crabby internet stuff", like your characters are bland as poo poo and your stories are boring retreads of the same crap you were pulling on Voyager? Braga should have stuck to doing coke and being called in for weird TNG eps because years later it's pretty clear that he was never the brains of that operation

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Hey, guy who wrote the best Trek series, we need some help, can you come in and talk it over with us?

What's that you say? Big sexy tits dripping goo aren't making the show good? Naming the enemy race the Al-Qaedas was dumb as hell? The three most boring characters in all of Star Trek are on our show?

Aw, man, you sound just like the Internet!

I don't even know why you're telling us this!

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Tujague posted:

Hey, guy who wrote the best Trek series, we need some help, can you come in and talk it over with us?

What's that you say? Big sexy tits dripping goo aren't making the show good? Naming the enemy race the Al-Qaedas was dumb as hell? The three most boring characters in all of Star Trek are on our show?

Aw, man, you sound just like the Internet!

I don't even know why you're telling us this!

Tbf "the show is bad! Uhhhhhh...big rear end titties" had worked before

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

You know, I think it is really is time for a new Star Trek tv series. The Next Generation to the Next Generation. Without Bergman and all that crowd. Fresh blood.

Well there you go.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Oct 3, 2015

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Sure, we can do this. The series opens at Janeway's court-martial. A Bajoran terrorist from the Shi'a Wynn suicide-bombs the joint, demanding that the Federation get out of Bajor and take all its science and technology with it. During the chaos, Janeway is rescued by her former crew. Except Harry Kim, who is quickly recaptured and sentenced to 20 years hard labor at the one remaining actual legit prison in Federation space. The only other inmate held there is Miles O'Brien, who is halfway through a 110 year sentence of daily beatings.

Janeway takes off back into the Delta Quadrant, leaving the wreckage of several dozen Borg cubes in her wake, and swears to harness the power of Omega particles and Q's god-seed to continue her reign of terror.

Meanwhile, the main character is a promising young officer (Mary Sue) who, due to stuff that will be explored in Season 1, hosed up real bad and was assigned to be the First Officer on what is basically a refitted garbage scow with a special short-range EXPLORATION CRAFT piggybacked onto the back of it. She spends her time dealing with an unruly crew of screw-ups and discipline cases while being generally ignored by the captain, who is a mysterious guy who hardly ever comes out of his quarters except to confuse his crew and impose strange navigation orders on them with no explanation or discussion.

The captain actually has a secret mission in a big red folder that says he is supposed to track down Janeway and snuff her with extreme prejudice, but that doesn't come out until Season 3.

Season 2 is spent getting to know the leader of the SCIENCE CADRE (Marty Stu) who is technically captain of the EXPLORATION CRAFT, who is ambitious and by-the-book and is ticked off about the whole scenario and I guess we could do a sexual tension thing with the first officer. They will be enemies until Season 4, when the captain guy will get killed and they will have to decide whether or not to limp home or avenge him.

Bam. Layer in some monster-of-the-week poo poo, some holodeck shenanigans and semi-fascinating secondary character plots and we're good to go.

Tujague fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Oct 3, 2015

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
the big rear end titties were the best part

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

eSports Chaebol posted:

well there are normies who acknowledge ~*pOigNaNt*~ episodes of TOS like City on the Edge of Forever

Been watching through TOS.

I finally got to City on the Edge of Forever. It wasn't good.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

MikeJF posted:

Braga's memory: "I needed help. We brought in Ira. And he poo poo all over the show. I mean, he poo poo on the show like I have never heard. All the crabby internet stuff balled into one nuclear weapon.

This is hilarious. This show isn't doing very well and everybody on the internet is very critical of it, but that's just the internet, let's see what Ira says. Ira says all the same things as the internet, well obviously the problem is with everybody else but us!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

My Q-Face posted:

This is hilarious. This show isn't doing very well and everybody on the internet is very critical of it, but that's just the internet, let's see what Ira says. Ira says all the same things as the internet, well obviously the problem is with everybody else but us!

Just started watching Enterprise for the first time, have only seen the opening episode. The primer on Netflix literally says "no shields, no transporters..." and poo poo.

*polarizes hull plating, uses transporter in combat situation in first episode*

Gonna be a good run!!!!

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Yeah, rather than change the fundamental ideas, they just changed the technobabble.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
Yeah, I mean at least it started off with everyone being like "gently caress no I don't want to go in that thing! Wait, it's that or die? poo poo! Fine I guess!". Then it was just like "Now beam down the commando team"

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

My Q-Face posted:

Yeah, rather than change the fundamental ideas, they just changed the technobabble.

The best part is how the technology even looks, acts and essentially sounds the same as it does in the TNG era, VFX and all. I think ENT's phasers are a little more pinkish and the beam appears/dissipates faster, that's all.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Tighclops posted:

The best part is how the technology even looks, acts and essentially sounds the same as it does in the TNG era, VFX and all. I think ENT's phasers are a little more pinkish and the beam appears/dissipates faster, that's all.

No you see these are laser blasts so they shoot like, laser bolts, whereas the phasers in TNG were a constant beam. Totally different.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Kitchner posted:

Yeah, I mean at least it started off with everyone being like "gently caress no I don't want to go in that thing! Wait, it's that or die? poo poo! Fine I guess!". Then it was just like "Now beam down the commando team"

Makes sense, that's why you have a team of suicidal marines. To send them in, so you don't have to go.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Chomp8645 posted:

Just started watching Enterprise for the first time, have only seen the opening episode. The primer on Netflix literally says "no shields, no transporters..." and poo poo.

*polarizes hull plating, uses transporter in combat situation in first episode*

Gonna be a good run!!!!

Get ready to see the first X of EVERYTHING from TNG/DS9/Cosby Show.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

happyhippy posted:

Get ready to see the first X of EVERYTHING from TNG/DS9/Cosby Show.

The premise is okay, the execution is lazy and everything happens too fast, just so they can start recycling old TNG and VOY scripts again.

"We discovered warp drive and aliens and solved all of our problems within 20 years, all the old hatreds were forgotten and everybody lives in a utopia, now let's go explore the stars!"

Where are the missteps? Where are the growing pains? Where are the "we don't know what we're doing and we're vastly outclassed by every other space-faring race" stuff that's alluded to in every other Star Trek series? Where's the Humans are generally terrible and have to learn how to not be in order to grow into the leaders of the 23/24th century?

We developed electricity, massive cargo ships, railroads, cars, airplanes, telephones, standardized industrial production, refridgeration and so forth all within the space of fifty years, and yet here we are a hundred years later and half the world is still barely surviving at a subsistence level not much different than they were two hundred years ago.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They even screw up stuff that should have been easily avoidable. Like hey, even though first contact happened in TNG lets bring in the Feringi and Borg!

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
I liked the episode with the planet that has 3 genders.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

And the episode that was entirely in the mirror universe was fun.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
The idea behind the Borg episode was cool and there was a real reason they were there beyond "because people remember them" like the Ferengi episode

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
The writers/producers of both Voyager and Enterprise didn't really want to be doing their shows at all. They had no interest in the premise of the show, and really wanted to be doing The Next Generation. So they just ignored the premise of the show and pretended they were doing TNG.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Gutcruncher posted:

The idea behind the Borg episode was cool and there was a real reason they were there beyond "because people remember them" like the Ferengi episode

Honestly the Borg episode was better than it had any right to be until the very last scene, they even got Brian Tyler to come in and do an actual memorable musical score for this one.

My Q-Face posted:

We developed electricity, massive cargo ships, railroads, cars, airplanes, telephones, standardized industrial production, refridgeration and so forth all within the space of fifty years, and yet here we are a hundred years later and half the world is still barely surviving at a subsistence level not much different than they were two hundred years ago.

All the capitalists were killed or forced off world during WW3, and presumably the Vulcans' influence and the suvivors' distaste for mindless consumerism that led to their near extinction helped quash whatever remained allowing humanity to flourish

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

MikeJF posted:

This is actually perfect, because Braga poo poo all over the DS9 concept when it was in development.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Tighclops posted:

All the capitalists were killed or forced off world during WW3, and presumably the Vulcans' influence and the suvivors' distaste for mindless consumerism that led to their near extinction helped quash whatever remained allowing humanity to flourish

That's all fine and good to say, but "greed" is human nature, it doesn't just "go away" because mindless consumerism does. It's not even just human nature, it's animal nature. Crocodiles will leave the safety of the water and risk being attacked by angry mammals just to avoid sharing their food with other crocs. Chimpanzees will share kills with the chimps who helped them, or the females who support them, but even the Alpha Male of the group has to beg and have to be satisfied with nothing if he didn't participate in the hunt, and the normally social-hierarchy conscious chimps don't even care. That and grudges don't just go away within living memory. A personal sense of injustice is also very deeply ingrained in the primate brain.

I mean, I could see it happening, that's one of those things that the whole hope aspect of Star Trek is about, but not in less than a single generation.

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Jesus christ, every three pages with you morons farting out profound philosophical biotruths you realized after being made euphoric by your own intellect

Maybe you should write clumsy, hilariously unexamined social commentary scripts for a hokey 1960's sci-fi show or something

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Tujague posted:

Jesus christ, every three pages with you morons farting out profound philosophical biotruths you realized after being made euphoric by your own intellect

Welcome to the Star Trek thread.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Tujague posted:

Maybe you should write clumsy, hilariously unexamined social commentary scripts for a hokey 1960's sci-fi show or something

:biotruths: *crowd breaks from grooming to hoot excitedly*

Watch some documentaries on Chimpanzees, read Chimpanzee Politics and then quake with impotent rage when you read that Newt Gingrich's whole political strategy, starting in the 1970s, was based on lessons he picked up from reading that book, and it loving worked like a charm.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

My Q-Face posted:

That's all fine and good to say, but "greed" is human nature, it doesn't just "go away" because mindless consumerism does. It's not even just human nature, it's animal nature. Crocodiles will leave the safety of the water and risk being attacked by angry mammals just to avoid sharing their food with other crocs. Chimpanzees will share kills with the chimps who helped them, or the females who support them, but even the Alpha Male of the group has to beg and have to be satisfied with nothing if he didn't participate in the hunt, and the normally social-hierarchy conscious chimps don't even care. That and grudges don't just go away within living memory. A personal sense of injustice is also very deeply ingrained in the primate brain.

I mean, I could see it happening, that's one of those things that the whole hope aspect of Star Trek is about, but not in less than a single generation.

You know all that poo poo about Data/The Doctor/whatever AI of the week exceeding the sum of it's programming? It's us we're the robots

Tujague posted:

The Negrons are black

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien

My Q-Face posted:

Watch some documentaries on Chimpanzees, read Chimpanzee Politics and then quake with impotent rage when you read that Newt Gingrich's whole political strategy, starting in the 1970s, was based on lessons he picked up from reading that book, and it loving worked like a charm.

You're really smart and perceptive. I can tell you've got this whole thing figured out and are seeing a truth beyond what normal people understand.

Because of how smart you are.

I'm absolutely going to be mad, like you say, when I do the poo poo you are saying I should do and realize the smart things you have realized.

Newt Gingrich.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

My Q-Face posted:

This is the perfect post. :allears:

• Locked thread