Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

NihilCredo posted:

Those seem more sensible figures for the feel you get about Hogwarts's size from the book.

The house system is based on the real-life house system in British public schools, right? Does anybody know how large those tend to be, and if kids from different houses attend class together?

It also works out to ~1 in every 1000 people being a wizard once you factor in that a few thousand people died in the last war. Which goes a long way towards how Voldemort was able to exert such control for what he had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

NihilCredo posted:

The house system is based on the real-life house system in British public schools, right? Does anybody know how large those tend to be, and if kids from different houses attend class together?

I went to a British private school (not a public school or a state school, thanks confusing and archaic education system :v:) and we had four houses (200ish people in each), but they didn't really matter for much. Classes were all mixed and it was really just about scoring points on sports day (we didn't get points taken off for bad behaviour or added for defeating dark wizards).

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

NihilCredo posted:

Those seem more sensible figures for the feel you get about Hogwarts's size from the book.

They had houses at the school I went to - but it was a sports day kind of thing. Nowhere near as important as Hogwarts houses seem to be. Basically all the students of a year group were in separate groups under a teacher for what I gather americans call home room (which would be your school house, but literally no one gave a poo poo. You were in Mr / Ms / Mrs Xs class) but then separated depending on whether you were in science 1, 2, 3 or so on for each different subject.

Might be different in posh schools.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Qwertycoatl posted:

Classes were all mixed and it was really just about scoring points on sports day.

MrFlibble posted:

They had houses at the school I went to - but it was a sports day kind of thing.

That is disappointingly uncool for a country that has Shadow Lords in its government system.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Qwertycoatl posted:

I went to a British private school (not a public school or a state school, thanks confusing and archaic education system :v:) and we had four houses (200ish people in each), but they didn't really matter for much. Classes were all mixed and it was really just about scoring points on sports day (we didn't get points taken off for bad behaviour or added for defeating dark wizards).

So was defeating dark wizards just a required part of the curriculum, or something done as volunteer work to boost your credentials?

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I guess you could also rationalise the low numbers of people attending Hogwarts due to the amount of wizards homeschooling their children. I think it was explained that Hogwarts.was only really mandatory for muggle born children.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Thanks to everyone who recommended Arithmancer. That definitely scratched my itch for Magical World meets :science: in all the way HPMoR failed to deliver.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

EvilTaytoMan posted:

I guess you could also rationalise the low numbers of people attending Hogwarts due to the amount of wizards homeschooling their children. I think it was explained that Hogwarts.was only really mandatory for muggle born children.

Yeah it is mentioned in 7 that until then it wasn't mandatory to go there so some went abroad and some trained at home.

Plus you know, 50 years of bloody civil war and terrorism

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm pretty sure JK's said that Harry's year in particular (40 or so students) is tiny, because most people stopped having babies or fled during the war and Harry was basically conceived as it hit its peak years.

I'd imagine the year levels two and three years down from Harry are enormous, though. Postwar baby boom.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Sep 30, 2015

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Chapter 16: Lateral Thinking
Part Seven

quote:

Mr. Crabbe and Mr. Goyle both giggled, causing Mr. Goyle to quickly clap a hand to his mouth.

"We'd better go get our seats," Draco said. He hesitated, straightened a bit, spoke a bit more fomally. "But I do want to continue our last conversation and I accept your conditions."

Harry nodded. "Would you mind terribly if I waited until Saturday afternoon? I'm in a bit of a contest right now."

"A contest?"

"See if I can read all my textbooks as fast as Hermione Granger did."

"Granger," Draco echoed. His eyes narrowed. "The mudblood who thinks she's Merlin? If you're trying to show her up then all Slytherin wishes you the very best luck, Potter, and I won't bother you 'til Saturday." Draco inclined his head respectfully, and wandered off, tailed by his minions.

At least Draco isn’t threatening to rape Hermione, unlike what he said about Luna during his tete-a-tete with Eliezarry on the train. I guess that’s a kind of progress.

quote:

Oh, this is going to be so much fun to juggle, I can already tell.

The classroom was filling up rapidly now with all four colors of trim: green, red, yellow, and blue. Draco and his two friends seemed to be in the midst of trying to acquire three contiguous front-row seats - already occupied, of course. Mr. Crabbe and Mr. Goyle were looming vigorously, but it didn't seem to be having much effect.

Harry bent over his Defence textbook and continued reading.

At 2:35PM, when most of the seats were taken and no one else seemed to be coming in, Professor Quirrell gave a sudden jerk in his chair and sat up straight, and his face appeared on all the flat, white rectangular objects that were propped up on the students' desks.

Harry was taken by surprise, both by the sudden appearance of Professor Quirrell's face and by the resemblance to Muggle television. There was something both nostalgic and sad about that, it seemed so much like a piece of home and yet it wasn't really...

"Good afternoon, my young apprentices," said Professor Quirrell. His voice seemed to come from the desk screen and to be speaking directly to Harry. "Welcome to your first lesson in Battle Magic, as the founders of Hogwarts would have put it; or, as it happens to be called in the late twentieth century, Defence Against the Dark Arts."

There was a certain amount of frantic scrabbling as students, taken by surprise, reached for their parchment or notebooks.

"No," Professor Quirrell said. "Don't bother writing down what this subject was once called. No such pointless question will count toward your marks in any of my lessons. That is a promise."

Many students sat straight up at that, looking rather shocked.

Professor Quirrell was smiling thinly. "Those of you who have wasted time by reading your useless first-year Defence textbooks -"

Canonically, aren’t the textbooks for the class assigned by the teacher for that class? I remember that coming up as a plot point in Book 2 (Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets), where all the textbooks for Defence Against the Dark Arts were useless books which had been written by Gilderoy Lockhart, the blowhard DaDa teacher for that year.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

JosephWongKS posted:

Canonically, aren’t the textbooks for the class assigned by the teacher for that class? I remember that coming up as a plot point in Book 2 (Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets), where all the textbooks for Defence Against the Dark Arts were useless books which had been written by Gilderoy Lockhart, the blowhard DaDa teacher for that year.

Yep, but obviously Yudkowsky wanted to use the cliché of the unconventional teacher who comes in and tells the class to throw out their textbooks, "we won't be using those". It's usually a teacher who comes in part way through the term as a replacement who does it (explaining why they didn't just have the students not buy the textbooks to begin with), but that's clearly what he's going for.

NeoAnjou
Jul 22, 2010

MrFlibble posted:

They had houses at the school I went to - but it was a sports day kind of thing. Nowhere near as important as Hogwarts houses seem to be. Basically all the students of a year group were in separate groups under a teacher for what I gather americans call home room (which would be your school house, but literally no one gave a poo poo. You were in Mr / Ms / Mrs Xs class) but then separated depending on whether you were in science 1, 2, 3 or so on for each different subject.

Might be different in posh schools.

I went to a very small (and cheap) public school (As I recall 80 or fewer people per year).

Our classes were mostly mixed between houses, with the exception of a couple (Art and Religious Studies) which didn't have sets (i.e. ability groups) where we did do a house-one, house-two vs. house-three, house-four split.

Otherwise it was pretty much the same as you, sports and music competitions were between houses, as were your tutor groups and once a week (or one week a month) we had a 'house' assembly.

My brother's state school also had houses, and I think that these were actually used for determining classes in a similar way to Hogwarts. It was a much bigger school though - something like 1200 people total (across five years).

For Hogwarts; it kinda makes sense that for the first year, if you have no other information about relative ability (I don't think that one canonically studies magic prior to their first year, so that's not unexpected) you may want to differentiate students in an arbitrary manner... presumably by keeping people in house-groups you can ensure that in any class people both have people they know (in their house), and new people to meet (in the other houses).

The fact that the system continues into subsequent years (I think!) is a bit less explicable... then again as I recall classes become a less prominent part of the books in later years.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I don't know what the deal is with fanfics (okay I've only read this one and The Arithmancer) having the "villain" characters (Slytherin) saying mudblood all the time. It was a big deal in the third book when Malfoy said it, both for Harry, who had never heard of it, Hermione, who had never been called it, and Ron, who was about as enraged as you'd be hearing one of your friends called a friend of the family to their face. It was possibly even a big deal for Draco to say it at that point. It's like they want to rush all the character development (good and bad) the original had going for it.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Chapter 16: Lateral Thinking
Part Eight

quote:

Someone made a choking sound. Harry wondered if it was Hermione.

"- may have gotten the impression that although this subject is called Defence Against the Dark Arts, it is actually about how to defend against Nightmare Butterflies, which cause mildly bad dreams, or Acid Slugs, which can dissolve all the way through a two-inch wooden beam given most of a day."

Professor Quirrell stood up, shoving his chair back from the desk. The screen on Harry's desk followed his every move. Professor Quirrell strode towards the front of the classroom, and bellowed:

"The Hungarian Horntail is taller than a dozen men! It breathes fire so quickly and so accurately that it can melt a Snitch in midflight! One Killing Curse will bring it down!"

This Quirrell completely deviates from canon Quirrell in personality and teaching style. Could this mean that he also deviate from canon Quirrell with regards to being possessed by Voldemort?

quote:

There were gasps from the students.

"The Mountain Troll is more dangerous than the Hungarian Horntail! It is strong enough to bite through steel! Its hide is resistant enough to withstand Stunning Hexes and Cutting Charms! Its sense of smell is so acute that it can tell from afar whether its prey is part of a pack, or alone and vulnerable! Most fearsome of all, the troll is unique among magical creatures in continuously maintaining a form of Transfiguration on itself - it is always transforming into its own body. If you somehow succeed in ripping off its arm it will grow another within seconds! Fire and acid will produce scar tissue which can temporarily confuse a troll's regenerative powers - for an hour or two! They are smart enough to use clubs as tools! The mountain troll is the third most perfect killing machine in all Nature! One Killing Curse will bring it down."

The students were looking rather shocked.

Professor Quirrell was smiling rather grimly. "Your sad excuse for a third-year Defence textbook will suggest to you that you expose the mountain troll to sunlight, which will freeze it in place. This, my young apprentices, is the sort of useless knowledge you will never find in my lessons. You do not encounter mountain trolls in open daylight! The idea that you should use sunlight to stop them is the result of foolish textbook authors trying to show off their mastery of minutia at the expense of practicality. Just because there is a ridiculously obscure way of dealing with mountain trolls does not mean you should actually try to use it! The Killing Curse is unblockable, unstoppable, and works every single time on anything with a brain. If, as an adult wizard, you find yourself incapable of using the Killing Curse, then you can simply Apparate away! Likewise if you are facing the second most perfect killing machine, a Dementor. You just Apparate away!"

If wizards can so easily kill anyone with a thought and a gesture, and teleport away from any danger they can’t destroy, why are they hiding from Muggles? At least in the canon series, it was explained that the Killing Curse is difficult to cast and Apparation comes with its own set of risks and hazards (e.g. leaving parts of your body behind).

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Doesn't the actual Killing Curse have some enormous requirement to it and constitute an incredible moral transgression to even consider using? It's been a long time since I read the books, but I recall a lot of the forbidden spells being forbidden with good reason and nothing to rely on unless you were a really practiced Death Eater and a huge son of a bitch.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I see harry potter trolls have been replaced with DnD trolls.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I vaguely recall reading in the books that the reason wizards are in hiding isn't because they're afraid of muggles, it's because if they were out in the open muggles would expect wizards to do everything for them and possibly stop developing as a society or inventing things, some of which wizards have benefited from.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Night10194 posted:

Doesn't the actual Killing Curse have some enormous requirement to it and constitute an incredible moral transgression to even consider using? It's been a long time since I read the books, but I recall a lot of the forbidden spells being forbidden with good reason and nothing to rely on unless you were a really practiced Death Eater and a huge son of a bitch.

Yeah you have to have killing intent to use it, and it splits your soul into pieces as a result. It's how Voldemort was able to make the horcruxes.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

EvilTaytoMan posted:

Yeah you have to have killing intent to use it, and it splits your soul into pieces as a result. It's how Voldemort was able to make the horcruxes.

That sounds real bad. So basically to use it you have to be evil and willing to gently caress your very being over?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Night10194 posted:

That sounds real bad. So basically to use it you have to be evil and willing to gently caress your very being over?

Not quite that bad (Aurors were allowed to use it at one point during the first war against Voldemort), but literally the only people ever seen casting the Killing Curse in the book are Death Eaters. Also it's an automatic life sentence in Azkaban if you use it on a person.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I think Quirrel is not being very subtle about being ole' Voldy this time. "Hey kids! You know what's the best defense against the Dark Arts? Constant use of the Dark Arts to solve all your problems!"

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Oct 1, 2015

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Piell posted:

Not quite that bad (Aurors were allowed to use it at one point during the first war against Voldemort), but literally the only people ever seen casting the Killing Curse in the book are Death Eaters. Also it's an automatic life sentence in Azkaban if you use it on a person.
I think at one point in the movies Harry fires it off and misses, but this happens immediately after the murder of his godfather and surrogate parent so I don't think anyone held it against him, if they saw him.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Nessus posted:

I think at one point in the movies Harry fires it off and misses, but this happens immediately after the murder of his godfather and surrogate parent so I don't think anyone held it against him, if they saw him.

No, that was the Cruciatus, and it doesn't work very well.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Nessus posted:

nah he fired off the torture curse, which is even worse

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Replace Quirrel with Yud and the killing curse with a time-turner and you've essentially got a description of how MoR.

Night10194 posted:

The heroes use Imperio (body control / puppetering) a few times by the end of the series. It's mostly a sign that things have gotten serious, and that they're willing to cross lines they previously wouldn't have.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Night10194 posted:

I think the reason it's forbidden is just because its only purpose is to kill. There are tons of spells you can use to kill people, but most of them have practical everyday applications. Like, you can kill people with a car or a kitchen knife, but no one wants to ban them because they're useful and not meant for that application. Avadra Kedavra is hard to even justify as self defence, because if you can use it then you probably have non-lethal options available to you as well, given that you have a wand and can speak.

EvilTaytoMan posted:

IIRC it only split Voldemort's soul because he'd already started making horcruxes. I think you had to kill to make a horcrux, but it was still a separate thing you had to intentionally do. Voldemort had just done it so many times that his soul was practically falling apart by itself

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Night10194 posted:

The Killing Curse requires hatred and basically incredibly evil thoughts to pull off, not to mention substantial magical skill. Unless you're in a hatey-murderous state of mind all the time and have done a fair bit of Killing Curse practice it's much easier to blast with something else. Plus I'm pretty sure you can't cast Avada Kedavra silently - or if you can it's very difficult, most death eaters incant it - which gives the other wizard warning to get out of the way. Combat wizards are generally crazy good at flicking around with Apparition. Basically, it's pretty telling that even Death Eaters don't tend to use Avada Kedavra that often in combat unless the situation seems just right.

Its big advantage is the ability to go through any magic block or shield, which is enough that they legalised Aurors using it against Death Eaters in the First Wizarding War, but outside open warfare it'd be pretty hard to come up with justifications. It's not the kind of thing most people should even know how to get into the right mental state to cast.

The Iron Rose posted:

nah he fired off the torture curse, which is even worse

Yeah, he tries after Bellatrix kills Sirius, but he doesn't have the requisite amount of deep cruel hatred to pull it off, so he only makes her yelp.

EvilTaytoMan posted:

The splitting your soul part is actually a natural consequence of murder, in the books. To murder with intent damages your soul, no matter how it's done, and Voldemort was able to take advantage of that damage to cleave off bits and stuff them in horcruxes. Every murderer in the world has a damaged soul, it's just that Voldemort was the only one who figured out how to use it.

He doesn't actually kill Myrtle with a Killing Curse, for example - he commands a basilisk to stare her to death - but he makes a horcrux with her.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Oct 1, 2015

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

MikeJF posted:

The Killing Curse requires hatred and basically incredibly evil thoughts to pull off, not to mention substantial magical skill. Unless you're in a hatey-murderous state of mind all the time and have done a fair bit of Killing Curse practice it's much easier to blast with something else. Plus I'm pretty sure you can't cast Avada Kedavra silently - or if you can it's very difficult, most death eaters incant it - which gives the other wizard warning to get out of the way. Combat wizards are generally crazy good at flicking around with Apparition. Basically, it's pretty telling that even Death Eaters don't tend to use Avada Kedavra that often in combat unless the situation seems just right.

Its big advantage is the ability to go through any magic block or shield, which is enough that they legalised Aurors using it against Death Eaters in the First Wizarding War, but outside open warfare it'd be pretty hard to come up with justifications. It's not the kind of thing most people should even know how to get into the right mental state to cast.

Yeah, he tries after Bellatrix kills Sirius, but he doesn't have the requisite amount of deep cruel hatred to pull it off, so he only makes her yelp.

The splitting your soul part is actually a natural consequence of murder, in the books. To murder with intent damages your soul, no matter how it's done, and Voldemort was able to take advantage of that damage to cleave off bits and stuff them in horcruxes. Every murderer in the world has a damaged soul, it's just that Voldemort was the only one who figured out how to use it.

He doesn't actually kill Myrtle with a Killing Curse, for example - he commands a basilisk to stare her to death - but he makes a horcrux with her.

Yeah I meant to clarify that the Killing Curse itself doesn't split your soul, just that Voldemort used it to make most of his Horcruxes that way.
Also Harry did successfully use the Cruciatus Curse on a Death Eater in Hogwarts, he even thanks Bellatrix for the advice on how to do it.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

EvilTaytoMan posted:

Spoilers: in this story that isn't enough to throw it around constantly. There's a new level you have to reach, called avada kedavra 2. You have to master the power of not hate, but... :effort:

It's really stupid.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

So I've started reading this thread, and boy is this a bad piece of work. Can't believe some people take this seriously. :stare:

Also IIRC making a horocrux itself involves a ritual taking advantage of the (minor) soulsplitting that happens with any murder; making the splitting a more controlled and intentional by effect.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

mastajake posted:

I don't know what the deal is with fanfics (okay I've only read this one and The Arithmancer) having the "villain" characters (Slytherin) saying mudblood all the time. It was a big deal in the third book when Malfoy said it, both for Harry, who had never heard of it, Hermione, who had never been called it, and Ron, who was about as enraged as you'd be hearing one of your friends called a friend of the family to their face. It was possibly even a big deal for Draco to say it at that point. It's like they want to rush all the character development (good and bad) the original had going for it.

It's the characterization jags people go off on. It's easier to use slurs as a shorthand than actually develop the villain character and show the audience how and why he's such a motherfucker.

It's the laziness that comes from underdeveloped writers.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Tiggum posted:

Avadra Kedavra is hard to even justify as self defence, because if you can use it then you probably have non-lethal options available to you as well, given that you have a wand and can speak.

It's impossible to justify for self defense because it requires proper intent to cast. "I want this person not to hurt me" or "I want to protect myself" wouldn't do it. It specifically requires a mindset of "I want the person I'm casting this on dead." Same with the other Unforgivable Curses.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Stroth posted:

It's impossible to justify for self defense because it requires proper intent to cast. "I want this person not to hurt me" or "I want to protect myself" wouldn't do it. It specifically requires a mindset of "I want the person I'm casting this on dead." Same with the other Unforgivable Curses.

This is also the reason people were so afraid of Voldemort. Sure if you hated a person enough, you could probably cast Avada Kadavra, but Voldemort threw those out like candy. He really hated everyone else that loving much.

quote:

Professor Quirrell was smiling rather grimly. "Your sad excuse for a third-year Defence textbook will suggest to you that you expose the mountain troll to sunlight, which will freeze it in place. This, my young apprentices, is the sort of useless knowledge you will never find in my lessons. You do not encounter mountain trolls in open daylight! The idea that you should use sunlight to stop them is the result of foolish textbook authors trying to show off their mastery of minutia at the expense of practicality. Just because there is a ridiculously obscure way of dealing with mountain trolls does not mean you should actually try to use it!

Actually it does, because there is a spell called Lumos Solem that Hermione used in the first HP movie. It literally summons a ray of sunlight which heads to whatever the person points to.

As for Harry using Crucio, this is what the wiki says:

quote:

Harry Potter was unable to effectively cast the Cruciatus Curse on Bellatrix Lestrange in 1996. Despite being furious with her for her murder of his godfather, he lacked the desire to cause pain for its own sake. Harry's "righteous anger" only inflicted a brief moment of pain on her.

Shortly before the Battle of Hogwarts, Harry not only successfully used the Cruciatus Curse against Amycus Carrow, he also cast the Imperius Curse against two individuals during the Gringotts heist which led to Harry, Hermione, and Ron getting in the vault.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Also, by the rules as given, wouldn't trolls kill themselves through self-transfigration?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm pretty sure Imperio doesn't need the same evil mindset as Crucio and Avada Kedavra. It's just a really difficult piece of magic and it's banned as gently caress because of its effect.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

MikeJF posted:

I'm pretty sure Imperio doesn't need the same evil mindset as Crucio and Avada Kedavra. It's just a really difficult piece of magic and it's banned as gently caress because of its effect.

Yeah, that one seems to be banned more for "We literally have no way to tell friend from foe if this spell isn't regulated" reasons than "only unrepentantly evil motherfuckers would cast this" reasons.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I mean, you kind of do have to be an unrepentantly evil motherfucker to completely and utterly deprive someone of their free will such that you can impose your own on them.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Tunicate posted:

Also, by the rules as given, wouldn't trolls kill themselves through self-transfigration?

I'm not 100% sure if this has been layed out in the fic yet, but the rules as given are technically only for "Free transfiguration" which allows you to magically transform any given thing into anything you want, temporarily. There also exists specialized transfiguration charms which are much more limited but often can be used to ignore some of the drawbacks of transfiguration, they might actually be permanent, or be safe for living things, or whatnot. Presumably trolls are not doing free-transfiguration but some other form of transfiguration. McGonagall doesn't teach specialized charms first because she thinks they give bad habits that make you lovely at free transfiguration, students are better off with their first day of class being full of horror stories about what happens if you don't follow the rules.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
"It works by these rules except for when it doesn't."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

reignonyourparade posted:

I'm not 100% sure if this has been layed out in the fic yet, but the rules as given are technically only for "Free transfiguration" which allows you to magically transform any given thing into anything you want, temporarily. There also exists specialized transfiguration charms which are much more limited but often can be used to ignore some of the drawbacks of transfiguration, they might actually be permanent, or be safe for living things, or whatnot. Presumably trolls are not doing free-transfiguration but some other form of transfiguration. McGonagall doesn't teach specialized charms first because she thinks they give bad habits that make you lovely at free transfiguration, students are better off with their first day of class being full of horror stories about what happens if you don't follow the rules.

An even easier explanation - free transfig is dangerous in the same way falling down is - it isn't the fall itself that kills you, it's the stop.
The troll's version NEVER stops. Therefore it never has to deal with the whole untransfiguration debacle at all.