Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Why on earth would you ever need to combine those two things? Like, if you have a ratchet then you have a shitload of sockets to go with it so logically you have somewhere to carry a hammer, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

Slavvy posted:

Why on earth would you ever need to combine those two things? Like, if you have a ratchet then you have a shitload of sockets to go with it so logically you have somewhere to carry a hammer, too.

I am sometimes tempted to bang something with a ratchet...but I never do it unless I'm holding my 1/2 inch craftsman.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

rally posted:

I am sometimes tempted to bang something with a ratchet...

This is literally what ratchet podgers are made for. You can beat the poo poo out of those and they just beg for more. It's the only kind of racket that I've stuck a 4 foot cheater bar on and then jumped on the end of. They make great punches and decent hammers in a pinch. My 17/19mm Supertool RNR is 8 years old and good as new other than the expected damage to the paint.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Is it a breaker bar on the backside? Now that would be awesome.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

I have no idea what the hell this was before I ran it over with a tractor mounted slasher but mother of god did it make a noise. Thought I'd thrown a blade!

It's cast alloy and soft rubber outside and that pin went from one side to the other.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

veedubfreak posted:

Yes. It comes with a centering pin and a breaker bar. The bar doubles the length of the handle and mounts by sliding into the real deep socket in the handle.

That tool is aimed more at heavy industry than passenger auto repair; one of the things it's pitched to bang on is that centering pin, for lining up bolt holes on massive moving parts. Another important use is for pounding a socket onto a nut or a bolt head that's been painted 10 times or rusted all to hell. Less "sedan lugnuts" and more "streetlight anchors", "articulated loader wheels" or "bulkheads on something where the word bulkhead actually means something".

That said, I want one hell of bad anyway. :kimchi: Normally I hate combo tools because they're usually a lovely compromise, but

Slavvy posted:

gently caress carrying a ratchet and a hammer in a junkyard bag or my travel kit if I can have them combined in what's by all accounts one of the better tools ever made.

And also because I already bang on poo poo with my ratchets so I might as well use one that's made to take it. Anyone who says they'd never use a ratchet as a hammer is a liar. :v:

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

veedubfreak posted:

It /is/ a breaker bar!

When these came out a few years ago, the local Wera guy told me they handed out three of em to some big customers; two different steelworks places and some HD mechanic who apparently cackled and said "I can finally stop pretending that my socket isn't a hammer /and/ a breaker bar". He told them to beat the gently caress out of them and last time I asked, none had come back.

This same rep showed off the tiny 1/4" drive ratchet by fastening it to a low placed bolt and jumping up and down on the thing until it sheared off (the admittedly small low grade bolt). Wera makes fun stuff!

(edit:gently caress, beaten!)

Blitter fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Sep 30, 2015

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Blitter posted:

It /is/ a breaker bar!

When these came out a few years ago, the local Wera guy told me they handed out three of em to some big customers; two different steelworks places and some HD mechanic who apparently cackled and said "I can finally stop pretending that my socket isn't a hammer /and/ a breaker bar". He told them to beat the gently caress out of them and last time I asked, none had come back.

This same rep showed off the tiny 1/4" drive ratchet by fastening it to a low placed bolt and jumping up and down on the thing until it sheared off (the admittedly small low grade bolt). Wera makes fun stuff!

(edit:gently caress, beaten!)

Where do I buy this.

EDIT: Amazon, of course. It's called the "Koloss".

Midjack fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Sep 30, 2015

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Midjack posted:

Where do I buy this.

EDIT: Amazon, of course. It's called the "Koloss".

http://www.amazon.com/Wera-Koloss-Square-Ratchet-Hammer/dp/B004ISLNQA

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Theres only ever been one wildly impractical and totally unnecessary multitool I've lusted after

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

14 INCH DICK posted:

Theres only ever been one wildly impractical and totally unnecessary multitool I've lusted after

Our matco guy is a huge fantasy nerd and his truck is full of poo poo like this. I have resisted tacking it onto the bill so far but only just...

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
That one is called the "Dead On 14 Inch Annihilator" which is loving perfect, but seriously, the Stanley Fat Max FuBar in both small and large sizes is far more useful.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Doesn't matter a drat squat if you soundly beat the competition in any way physically possible if you're stacking up against a name like the Dead On 14 Inch Annihilator

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
The Dead-On Annihilator comes in 14 and 18.

You can also buy their other tool, the Exhumer, if you just want to pull nails.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
The Tap Out tshirts of the tool world.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
I wonder if anyone makes a sledgehammer with attachment points? Like a normal face on one side and a square stake hole on the other face with a lock-pin slot through the side of the head.

drat, this is Mechanical Failures. Thorough thread derail, my bad.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

14 INCH DICK posted:

I am ashamed to admit I own one of these. I bought it when I was like 19 and thought it was so cool at the time. It loving sucks if you can't already tell. The jaw part is too wide to actually grip and do anything to a 2x4 and the hammer part sucks rear end as a hammer.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

As a rust belt living Canadian that uses a hammer more than any other tool this is extremely my poo poo.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

rally posted:

I am ashamed to admit I own one of these. I bought it when I was like 19 and thought it was so cool at the time. It loving sucks if you can't already tell. The jaw part is too wide to actually grip and do anything to a 2x4 and the hammer part sucks rear end as a hammer.

Well you're a loving idiot if you ever thought that thing would be used on anything putting up more of a fight than an empty Pabst can or screaming high school cheerleader

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Welp, another thing added to the wishlist.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
$100? I'll probably just keep using a Craftsman until it breaks and get a new one.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
Why a ratchet with a hammer? That sounds like an insanely bad and dumb idea to me.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Because normal hammers are dumb and take up way too much space in the field toolbox. They're oddly shaped and only do one (or two) things. A ratchet takes up less space, and for probably 80% of my hammerin' needs I only need something slightly heavier than a Swedish nut-fucker large crescent wrench. For the remainder of my hammerin' needs, the vast majority is something very major where I would have to break out the mallet or sledge anyway.

E:

Siochain posted:

Which I use to beat things, because its there, and a hammer is not.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Sep 30, 2015

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
So whet happens when the ratchet fails because you've been beating the poo poo out of things with it?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

You replace it on warranty because you bought an expensive combination ratchet/hammer instead of beating on bullshit with your lovely craftsman.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
I didnt realise it has a warranty it doesn't mention anything about a warranty in the link.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

corn in the fridge posted:

So whet happens when the ratchet fails because you've been beating the poo poo out of things with it?

Read the reviews. Apparently it doesn't fail, which is the part of the point of this over a standard ratchet. Which I use to beat things, because its there, and a hammer is not.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

Siochain posted:

Read the reviews. Apparently it doesn't fail, which is the part of the point of this over a standard ratchet. Which I use to beat things, because its there, and a hammer is not.

Apparently it weighs 2.4 pounds. That seems way too heavy to use comfortably as a ratchet.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Apparently it weighs 2.4 pounds. That seems way too heavy to use comfortably as a ratchet.

So don't buy it.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Get your pump on while you fix your lovely pos.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I could have used that Wera ratchet today. Removing a security lug nut from my spare tire:

I measured it at 51/64" diameter. We wound up using a sledge to pound a cheap 3/4" socket onto it, then it came right off with a breaker bar.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

So you're saying when I'm under the car and forgot a hammer it's a good substitute... Because when I'm under the car I'm usually pissed off and anything is a hammer.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Safety Dance posted:

I could have used that Wera ratchet today. Removing a security lug nut from my spare tire:

I measured it at 51/64" diameter. We wound up using a sledge to pound a cheap 3/4" socket onto it, then it came right off with a breaker bar.

I run into this situation so often at work (imports with lock nuts and no key) that we specifically bought these reverse-rifled impact sockets you can bash on and rattle gun to remove the offending nuts.

PromethiumX
Mar 5, 2003

Slavvy posted:

I run into this situation so often at work (imports with lock nuts and no key) that we specifically bought these reverse-rifled impact sockets you can bash on and rattle gun to remove the offending nuts.

How do you get the nuts out of the sockets?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

PromethiumX posted:

How do you get the nuts out of the sockets?

Hammer a bolt through the back.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

BlackMK4 posted:

Hammer a bolt through the back.

Yup.

Alternatively you can just thread them back on the stud a few turns then just wiggle the socket till it comes out, the teeth only bite in one direction so it's pretty easy to just pull it outward and off.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I wish I had a video camera yesterday. I was having a stroll around the neighborhood and a 08-11 focus was driving realllly slowly. His front tire was holding on by one lugnut. I could hear the wheel scraping up and down the threads of the wheel studs with every rotation. I called out that he should probably stop right now, as the wheel was getting more and more wobbly with every rotation. Looked like he heard me and changed to the spare. I guess aluminum wheels lose out to studs in that case. I can't imagine what that had to feel like to drive on.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

BloodBag posted:

I wish I had a video camera yesterday. I was having a stroll around the neighborhood and a 08-11 focus was driving realllly slowly. His front tire was holding on by one lugnut. I could hear the wheel scraping up and down the threads of the wheel studs with every rotation. I called out that he should probably stop right now, as the wheel was getting more and more wobbly with every rotation. Looked like he heard me and changed to the spare. I guess aluminum wheels lose out to studs in that case. I can't imagine what that had to feel like to drive on.

Even steel wheels will wear eventually in the right circumstance. One of my instructors in automotive school had a picture of a steel rim that had been held on by cross-threaded lugs that weren't snugly seated; over time the studs hammering back and forth chewed the lug holes out into curved slots about the wheel center, about an inch long.

That's if you get lucky and the studs don't just snap the first hard corner you take. (insert FD autocross video here)

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
Also, please use spigot rings with aftermarket wheels.

One of my wheel studs from when I first tried to take the wheel off three years ago:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Yesterday I was at the gas station and this newer Odyssey had parked its fat rear end in front of the pump I wanted to use. So I sat there pumping gas at the lovely pump with a sour face on.

Anyway the owner came out and got in and put it in gear. Along with the sound of the engine revs climbing I heard a diff like rotational whining-grinding sound and then a loud THUMP. Then the van jerked forward a bit. Two more of these and then he was on his way as I stared in disbelief.

I'm not familiar enough with automatics to figure out what that was but I'm going to guess it was the torque converter. Weird as poo poo. Dude didn't seem to care.