Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I'm the band Nazi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Screaming Idiot posted:

Cocker spaniels aren't supposed to look like that.

I think its only half-cocked.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I think its only half-cocked.

THAT DOG HAS THE SHAPE OF A PENIS ON HIS FUR! :downsrim:

Beige
Sep 13, 2004

Leofish posted:

How do you know it's a he?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Beige posted:

How do you know it's a he?
The penis.

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

Check your privilege, cis scum.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Leofish posted:

:aaaaa:

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

I've only listened to Cattle Decapitation once or twice so it's safe to say metal isn't my forté. Is there a relationship between logo incomprehensibility and listenability? Also, as a metal fan, do you become more able to decipher band names without seeing them in Times New Roman?

PaulBearer
Jul 23, 2013

NotAnArtist posted:

I've only listened to Cattle Decapitation once or twice so it's safe to say metal isn't my forté.
That's like saying "I ate a lemon once and didn't like it, so fruit sucks". There are like a billion genres of Metal.
http://mapofmetal.com/

Arnold at the Oktoberfest.

scorpiobean
Dec 22, 2004

I'll have one sugar coma drink, please.

PaulBearer posted:

That's like saying "I ate a lemon once and didn't like it, so fruit sucks". There are like a billion genres of Metal.

Well someone gave him a lot of head.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

PaulBearer posted:

That's like saying "I ate a lemon once and didn't like it, so fruit sucks".

It would be a fair statement if every single fruit tasted exactly like a lemon :colbert:

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

PaulBearer posted:

He looks like he's about to pop a blood vessel. Must be a heavy stein.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

PaulBearer posted:

That's not what forté means. He's not saying Metal sucks, he's not even saying he didn't like it, he's just saying he doesn't know much about it.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

PaulBearer posted:

Yeah but some kinds of fruit are good :smug:

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

PaulBearer posted:

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

NotAnArtist posted:

Is there a relationship between logo incomprehensibility and listenability? Also, as a metal fan, do you become more able to decipher band names without seeing them in Times New Roman?

Yes and yes.

Generally the more hosed up and illegible the logo, the less production quality, songwriting chops and general musicality beyond noise and screaming there is. Check a few pages back where I posted a band logo that looks like something the cat coughed up; to the untrained ear the band will probably sound like white noise.

The other one is just a case of seeing patterns long enough. The blog Metalsucks actually has a fairly regular "decipher the logo, win a prize" competition on their site.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

NotAnArtist posted:

I've only listened to Cattle Decapitation once or twice so it's safe to say metal isn't my forté. Is there a relationship between logo incomprehensibility and listenability? Also, as a metal fan, do you become more able to decipher band names without seeing them in Times New Roman?
If a logo is incomprehensible and has that drippy gore effect, it's death metal.
If it's entirely legible while still trying to use that same 'gory' font aesthetic, it's deathcore.
If the lines are thinner and edges sharper, slightly more legible, and has a bunch of inverted crosses or pentagrams, it's black metal.
If it's another font entirely and it's completely legible, it's either tech-death or more traditional metal.
If it's heavily stylized but another font and somewhat readable, it's either doom or some blackgaze/post-metal hybrid.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Based on those logos gonna check out party canon

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

sticklefifer posted:

If a logo is incomprehensible and has that drippy gore effect, it's death metal.
If it's entirely legible while still trying to use that same 'gory' font aesthetic, it's deathcore.
If the lines are thinner and edges sharper, slightly more legible, and has a bunch of inverted crosses or pentagrams, it's black metal.
If it's another font entirely and it's completely legible, it's either tech-death or more traditional metal.
If it's heavily stylized but another font and somewhat readable, it's either doom or some blackgaze/post-metal hybrid.

I'm glad metal is crap and I'll never have to learn any of this.

Grieving Achilles
Apr 13, 2010

NESguerilla posted:

Beige
Sep 13, 2004

Can any metal fans here tell me what this band name says?

Pursued by bees
Jan 1, 2013

heartful of fire
with no one left to tell

NESguerilla posted:

Yeah I can tell you it super sucks to like metal, they don't even let you buy any albums unless you memorize this poo poo

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Beige posted:

Can any metal fans here tell me what this band name says?

Totenkopf 88

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBR8PQ-BUxU

Beige
Sep 13, 2004

I can't even understand what they're saying.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Beige posted:

I can't even understand what they're saying.

:rimshot:

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Metal really is the anime of music.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
That screamy noise metal stuff all blends so much together, I can't understand how fans of it can tell one group from another. It's just mashing instruments without any kind of tone of rhythm and someone scraping their throat and I don't understand what makes one group different from another. Like, can someone really say "Oh this person's voice is different from that person's" when they're all doing the exact same thing, and their voices are drowned out by instrumental noise? Can you say " Oh this band plays like this and that band plays like that?" when they are all doing the same style and it's all deliberate noise? I'm genuinely asking.

Or is it just "Oh I like incomprehensible noise I am glad there are so many people doing the exact same thing so we never run out of it?"

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Metal really really sucks guys.

I am curious about the hivemind's thoughts on Punk rock though.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Thump! posted:

Metal really really sucks guys.

I am curious about the hivemind's thoughts on Punk rock though.

Punk is Good, there is lots of good punk, much like any genre you just need to explore the different sounds bands have to find your niche.

Thrash punk is a lot like death metal in that it is difficult to understand and very samey but I am biased because thrash punk gets me hoped for literally anything

matureaudiencesonly
May 6, 2009

Jamesman posted:

That screamy noise metal stuff all blends so much together, I can't understand how fans of it can tell one group from another. It's just mashing instruments without any kind of tone of rhythm and someone scraping their throat and I don't understand what makes one group different from another. Like, can someone really say "Oh this person's voice is different from that person's" when they're all doing the exact same thing, and their voices are drowned out by instrumental noise? Can you say " Oh this band plays like this and that band plays like that?" when they are all doing the same style and it's all deliberate noise? I'm genuinely asking.

Or is it just "Oh I like incomprehensible noise I am glad there are so many people doing the exact same thing so we never run out of it?"

PaulBearer posted:

This is the equivalent of saying, "I can't stand country, it all sounds the same", or "They forgot the C in Rap, it's all awful". I'm not sure why it is a difficult concept that there are gradations in metal as well.

I really love the more brutal stuff for live shows, but in my daily rotation I prefer to have on more melodic stuff in the background while I work. I am particularly gay for these guys: http://www.tbdmofficial.com/. I use them to introduce my more musically inclined friends to metal, since they are an actually talented band. Their new album, Abysmal, is streaming on Spotify if you're interested in giving metal a shot.

Thank you for letting me express my feelings on metal, here are God's:

jmistajay
Aug 28, 2012

Mango chutney salsa!

matureaudiencesonly posted:

I really love the more brutal stuff for live shows, but in my daily rotation I prefer to have on more melodic stuff in the background while I work. I am particularly gay for these guys: http://www.tbdmofficial.com/. I use them to introduce my more musically inclined friends to metal, since they are an actually talented band. Their new album, Abysmal, is streaming on Spotify if you're interested in giving metal a shot.

This was going pretty well until they got to the metal part.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
My favorite metal band is still Poison.

Every rose has it's thorn, yo.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I'm a big dumb baby who likes Manowar the most.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
I like my metal how I like my coffee: I don't drink coffee

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

matureaudiencesonly posted:

This is the equivalent of saying, "I can't stand country, it all sounds the same", or "They forgot the C in Rap, it's all awful". I'm not sure why it is a difficult concept that there are gradations in metal as well.

Thank you for letting me express my feelings on metal, here are God's:

Huh, so there it is. The most objectively wrong post on the forums.

Neat.

P.S.: Metal sucks :angel:

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
No one gives a gently caress what kind of music you like. Livejournal is down the hall.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Thump! posted:

Huh, so there it is. The most objectively wrong post on the forums.

Neat.

P.S.: Metal sucks :angel:

Are you every chick in this clip?

http://mediadownloads.mlb.com/mlbam/2015/10/01/14-416010-2015-09-30/web_cut/mlbtv_511523483_1200K.mp4

Desideratus
Oct 5, 2008

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.

I only listen to post-glam speed folk

PaulBearer
Jul 23, 2013

Jamesman posted:

It's just mashing instruments without any kind of tone of rhythm and someone scraping their throat and I don't understand what makes one group different from another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

goose fleet posted:

I like my metal how I like my coffee: I don't drink coffee

Good, drinking metal tends to go poorly.

• Locked thread