Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Guavanaut posted:

What about Belgium?
Belgium isn't really a country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Whorelord posted:

a nation state

England is actually the only part of the UK that can't be conceivably called a nation state within state, IMHO, as it wasn't devolved.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Obligatory reply:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNu8XDBSn10

"The United Kingdom is a country of countries"
This is the best explanation.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
From this we learn that Europe played entirely too much Crusader Kings 2 and EU4, and in punishment, a congress of African leaders should be convened to redraw all of their borders arbitrarily.

ghengilhar
Mar 21, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Politically-related map.

State Religions

Dark Blue: Protestantism
Blue: Orthodox
Light Blue: Catholic
Dark Green: Sunni Islam
Green: Islam (in general)
Light Green: Shia Islam
Yellow: Theravada Buddhism

Interesting note, although the Church of England is the state church of England no other part of the UK has a state church. The church of Scotland, Church of Wales (when it was split from the Church of England) and the Church of Ireland have all been disestablished. Also additional interesting fact, due to the nature of the Union the Queen has two religions, in England and elsewhere she is the Supreme Governor of the Church of England. When she crosses into Scotland she becomes an ordinary member of the Church of Scotland.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

steinrokkan posted:

England is actually the only part of the UK that can't be conceivably called a nation state within state, IMHO, as it wasn't devolved.

i know, which is why it is a country but not a nation state

quote:

State Religions

Dark Blue: Protestantism
Blue: Orthodox
Light Blue: Catholic
Dark Green: Sunni Islam
Green: Islam (in general)
Light Green: Shia Islam
Yellow: Theravada Buddhism

Interesting note, although the Church of England is the state church of England no other part of the UK has a state church. The church of Scotland, Church of Wales (when it was split from the Church of England) and the Church of Ireland have all been disestablished. Also additional interesting fact, due to the nature of the Union the Queen has two religions, in England and elsewhere she is the Supreme Governor of the Church of England. When she crosses into Scotland she becomes an ordinary member of the Church of Scotland.

bhutan follows vajrayana buddhism, not therevada

ghengilhar
Mar 21, 2013

Whorelord posted:

Ah, my mistake, when I verified it I pulled the wrong data. Yellow therefore represents Buddhism (in general).

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

Whorelord posted:

And once again this thread reminds me of thing that I only know exist from playing EU4.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

Politically-related map.

Is Bangladesh colored accurately? I thought they were explicitly a secular people's republic?

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

Bloodnose posted:

Is Bangladesh colored accurately? I thought they were explicitly a secular people's republic?

quote:

Although initially Bangladesh opted for a secular nationalist ideology as embodied in its Constitution, the principle of secularism was subsequently replaced by a commitment to the Islamic way of life through a series of constitutional amendments and government proclamations between 1977 and 1988. The Constitution establishes Islam as the state religion but provides for the right to practice—subject to law, public order, and morality—the religion of one's choice.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

I think it's a bit misleading to group all those countries together, because as it is “state religion“ on this map goes from “official services will be conducted by this specific religious group (which represents 90% of the population anyway)“ to “practising another religion than the official one will get you killed“. Otoh I couldn't say how to properly represent this on a map :shrug:

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Finland has two official religions, so is that map strictly countries with one or...?

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Bangladesh noooooooo

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

System Metternich posted:

I think it's a bit misleading to group all those countries together, because as it is “state religion“ on this map goes from “official services will be conducted by this specific religious group (which represents 90% of the population anyway)“ to “practising another religion than the official one will get you killed“. Otoh I couldn't say how to properly represent this on a map :shrug:

I'm curious which ones you think have the latter.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ras Het posted:

Finland has two official religions, so is that map strictly countries with one or...?

As far as I remember there hasn't been a state church since 1870, but de facto we absolutely have two state churches. It's simply a question of nomenclature :shrug:

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

computer parts posted:

I'm curious which ones you think have the latter.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_religion_in_Saudi_Arabia

It's either being a Muslim (of a specific school of Islam) or not being a Saudi citizen. Converting to another religion while being a citizen is punishable by death.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Yeah I remember when I lived in riyadh the "church" was the basement of the american ambassadors residence and we had escape drills in case the mutaween turned up.

In fact most aspects of life involved escape plans in case the mutaween turned up.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Yeah I remember when I lived in riyadh the "church" was the basement of the american ambassadors residence and we had escape drills in case the mutaween turned up.

In fact most aspects of life involved escape plans in case the mutaween turned up.

Truly a model to look up to

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

kalstrams posted:

My bad, I stand corrected. E: One could also argue for Netherlands.

Uhmm... how so?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Orange Devil posted:

Uhmm... how so?
Apparently, there are bunch of small overseas territories that belong to Netherlands and that are defined as separate countries by Dutch law, making it "a country of countries" like UK, or something along those lines.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

kalstrams posted:

Apparently, there are bunch of small overseas territories that belong to Netherlands and that are defined as separate countries by Dutch law, making it "a country of countries" like UK, or something along those lines.

Eh maybe if you were talking about the Kingdom of the Netherlands rather than the Netherlands.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Orange Devil posted:

Eh maybe if you were talking about the Kingdom of the Netherlands rather than the Netherlands.

I think the point he's making is that 99% of people who don't live in the Netherlands don't realize there's a difference.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

kalstrams posted:

By that definition, wouldn't Denmark also count as a "country of countries" since the crown also controls Greenland and the Faroe Islands?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Badger of Basra posted:

I think the point he's making is that 99% of people who don't live in the Netherlands don't realize there's a difference.
That was the case for me, I had no idea that Kingdom of the Netherlands wasn't just the full name. :eng99:

Pakled posted:

By that definition, wouldn't Denmark also count as a "country of countries" since the crown also controls Greenland and the Faroe Islands?
Depends on their laws, and, so no idea.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Pakled posted:

We are a nation state with subjugated peoples.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Orange Devil posted:

kalstrams posted:

That was the case for me, I had no idea that Kingdom of the Netherlands wasn't just the full name. :eng99:

Aaaaaand... just on cue, the other must-see CGP Grey video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eE_IUPInEuc

E: It does annoy me that he can't pronounce a ç properly.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Carbon dioxide posted:

Aaaaaand... just on cue, the other must-see CGP Grey video.
Funnily enough, I've seen both CGP Grey videos you've linked.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Belgium isn't really a country.

Its a place that England made to settle its differences with Germany every few years.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

sparatuvs posted:

Its a place that England made to settle its differences with Germany every few years.

The Austrians actually made it to fight the Spanish in after they fought the Dutch just to keep in the first place, and the French took it from them until the British made them give it to the Dutch, and eventually after some more fighting the British made the Dutch leave it independent. Really its only good use is as a battlefield.

Kavak fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Oct 1, 2015

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Kavak posted:

Really its only good use is as a battlefield.
That's why they put the capital of Europe there :haw:

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

I sure haven't heard any of those jokes before. Next someone will come out and say we're boring or make a beer and waffle remark. The wit!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

You should be proud that Belgium is the most talked-about country in the thread, even if it's mostly due to A Buttery Pastry making the exact same post on every page.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

the jizz taxi posted:

I sure haven't heard any of those jokes before. Next someone will come out and say we're boring or make a beer and waffle remark. The wit!

I remember a couple of the millions of paedophile jokes that sprung up during the whole Dutroux thing, but they aren't all that witty either :v:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

You should be proud that Belgium is the most talked-about country in the thread, even if it's mostly due to A Buttery Pastry making the exact same post on every page.
Once for the Walloons and once for the Flemings.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Walloon and Fleming aren't real words

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

Kurtofan posted:

Walloon and Fleming aren't real words

they're names some fantasy author threw out for nations in his book for sounding a bit too silly and light-hearted for the post-game of thrones "low fantasy" w/ lots of swears and rape he was trying to write

the names travelled through time and space and ended up being taken seriously by the most serious of all people, the belgians

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

The Belgians aren't a people. They're French, German and Dutch.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Charles Baudelaire wrote a lot about how Belgium sucks rear end and they published the texts and based on them I'd say Baudelaire sucked a lot more than Belgium welp that's everything I know about Belgium. And Baudelaire.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Boiled Water posted:

The Belgians aren't a people. They're French, German and Dutch.

this but also the dutch are just germans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?
There's a reason EU4 lets you ahistorically form nations like Germany, Italy, Scandinavia, or Hindustan in the year 1600 but not Belgium.