Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

repiv posted:

Pro-tip for UK goons: Carphone Warehouse somehow have N5Xes for £30/40 less than the Google store, with a free Chromecast Audio bundled, and they're expected to ship sooner than most peoples Google pre-orders.

http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/phones/lg-nexus-5x-16gb
http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/phones/lg-nexus-5x-32gb
The free Chromecast is only if you buy it on contract.

The 6P went up but it's at full Google price. It claims to be shipping 10 days earlier though that could be bullshit and I'd rather deal with Google directly for warranty replacements. This does hopefully mean that I can find a CW with them in-stock before mine ships so I can try it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Ragingsheep posted:

It's only LTE Band 28 which is handy to have but not essential.

Band 28 (700Mhz) is actually really big in Australia, my town was one of the first rollout areas for it. Telstra (the big telco) is marketing it as "4GX" and putting all the effort into it being the fastest band. Australia might have poo poo landline internet but we actually have the fastest 4G in the world (on average).

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Jesus loving christ, over 1000NOK extra over the US price :rant:

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Why would I be getting duplicate vibration/sound notifications for MMSs, but just a single notification bar notification? I have a 2014 Moto X on Verizon, and am using Textra for texting and LightFlow to control notification sounds and vibrations. The duplicates are a minute or two apart, for what it's worth.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

Apparently there is a soak test for the Droid Turbo going out. I figure it's just some bug fixes and OS optimizations.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
Nah it's Marshmallow, we're getting it before the Nexuses for sure

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

E.T. NO HOMO posted:

Nah it's Marshmallow, we're getting it before the Nexuses for sure

That would be pretty hilarious if that was the case.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

My guess would be stagefright.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

ulvir posted:

Jesus loving christ, over 1000NOK extra over the US price :rant:

I wonder how much of this is because of a substantial component is the US dollar appreciation over all other currencies in the past 5 months and how much is plain greed.

In Mexico at least, the peso has fallen around 30% against the dollar and prices for phones have jumped in about the same proportion (Apple being the exception, as they jacked up their prices even more).

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Freezer posted:

I wonder how much of this is because of a substantial component is the US dollar appreciation over all other currencies in the past 5 months and how much is plain greed.

In Mexico at least, the peso has fallen around 30% against the dollar and prices for phones have jumped in about the same proportion (Apple being the exception, as they jacked up their prices even more).

Nope, must be Google being evil

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

RVProfootballer posted:

Nope, must be Google being evil

This is it. The Nexus program is a huge profit center for them.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Also VAT is being applied at checkout in the US but included in the advertised price in my most of Europe.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Is there a good and easy way to get a Z5 Compact unlocked from Europe? Sony's site won't sell me one :(

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Deathlove posted:

Is there a good and easy way to get a Z5 Compact unlocked from Europe? Sony's site won't sell me one :(

$541 + $25 international shipping :homebrew:

Make sure it has the LTE bands you need.

repiv fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Oct 1, 2015

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Two screens and two selfie cameras are things that LG thought people want for reasons.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The prices in the UK are pretty much exactly what I expected them to be because I am more than one year old and therefore remember previous phones being launched and the markup is always ~35%. VAT is 20% and there are other costs that make it more expensive to sell here or the market allows companies to sell for more here or whatever. And then you have VAT on that addition cost, which people often forget when making claims about how much Google is stealing.

It's just a thing that I live with rather than getting internet-mad every time this happens because I'd spend my entire life being internet-mad because this is true of every single electronics item in existence.

In fact, it has been far worse in the past. In late 2009 when sterling was particularly strong the GBP:USD exchange was close to 1:2 but, of course, we didn't suddenly get cheaper games in the UK because domestic retail pricing doesn't work like that. I was visiting Seattle for work and the CEO of the company asks me if there's anywhere I want to go. And there was. I had the CEO drive me out to a giant Best Buy (or something, I forget) so I could get a pile of Nintendo DSs and DS/360 games for myself and other people because they were hilariously cheap, almost half price. He thought it was pretty funny. Cool guy.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Oct 1, 2015

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Freezer posted:

They've jacked the price up by a lot. The price in Norwegian kroner is just over $555 for the 32gb 5x, so I already factored it in before whinging about it. They've pretty much added over $100 to the price for every single product.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

repiv posted:

$541 + $25 international shipping :homebrew:

Make sure it has the LTE bands you need.

2/4/12, go go TMo. Thanks!

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Three Olives posted:

Two screens and two selfie cameras are things that LG thought people want for reasons.
The 2nd screen seems like it could be useful, and it's in a much better location than the absurd S6 Edge, but the phone's going to be like $800 and carrier locked and that just seems so old fashioned at this point.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/3mzrl9/hi_im_hiroshi_lockheimer_here_at_google_with_the/cvjpf2e?context=10000

So apparently the nexus 6p does have the latest samsung panel. Time to get used to carrying around a phablet.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Actually, that's vague answer.

"Latest generation panels from Samsung" can very well mean the latest generation of panels that Samsung sells to 3rd parties and not the same panels that are in the current crop of Galaxy devices.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ulvir posted:

They've jacked the price up by a lot. The price in Norwegian kroner is just over $555 for the 32gb 5x, so I already factored it in before whinging about it. They've pretty much added over $100 to the price for every single product.
Doesn't that NOK price include VAT at 25%? In which case Google have added $11 to the price. Or is that pre-tax?

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

bull3964 posted:

"Latest generation panels from Samsung" can very well mean the latest generation of panels that Samsung sells to 3rd parties and not the same panels that are in the current crop of Galaxy devices.

yeah it would be a noted departure for Samsung if the 6P does have an actual current-gen panel. Doesn't the Nexus 6 have something like the Galaxy S4 screen?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

Samsung claim that there is no such limitation and that other companies simply don't buy them. Decide for yourself is this is corporate/marketing bullshit or whatever.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Tunga posted:

Samsung claim that there is no such limitation and that other companies simply don't buy them. Decide for yourself is this is corporate/marketing bullshit or whatever.

Eh, that article doesn't really say anything one way or another about which product lines Samsung offers for sale. Just that they say they wish they could sell more in general. Part of it is a yield game too. If samsung only has enough yields on their state of the art panels to put in their own phones, they may not offer that line for sale.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

bull3964 posted:

Well it doesn't hurt to be optimistic at this point. There's plenty of time to cancel preorders in case they use older display tech.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

Eh, that article doesn't really say anything one way or another about which product lines Samsung offers for sale. Just that they say they wish they could sell more in general. Part of it is a yield game too. If samsung only has enough yields on their state of the art panels to put in their own phones, they may not offer that line for sale.
It's never really specifically called out but there are other articles about it and they seem to imply that Samsung want to sell the same tech to anyone but only Samsung Mobile want to use it. I don't know for sure, and partly this is me hoping it's the Note 5 panel, of course. Would be cool.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Biggest human being Ever posted:

Also VAT is being applied at checkout in the US but included in the advertised price in my most of Europe.

There is no VAT in America.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

LastInLine posted:

There is no VAT in America.

Just state and city sales taxes.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
Well, I went against my better judgement and ordered a 6P after cancelling the 5X. Just hope the reviews and camera samples in more than just limited setting trickle out before it processes in case they suck.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
http://www.cnet.com/news/every-android-device-vulnerable-to-newly-discovered-bugs/

Is this anything to worry about, or just more hype from Zimperium's PR machine?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
New chromecast is pretty neat.

v1 videos took forever to start playing and were constantly buffering.
v2 loads in seconds and plays 1080p smoothly.

If you had network issues before, upgrade. This is how it was supposed to be.

Sergiu64
May 21, 2014

My AT&T 2013 Moto X finally got Lollipop today. :)

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Sergiu64 posted:

My AT&T 2013 Moto X finally got Lollipop today. :)

Sorry it's gonna suck now.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
A few Nexus 6P upgrade questions:

1) Looks like the model I ordered is now showing 4-5 weeks shipping on the order page instead of 5-6 weeks when I first ordered it - Did the Nexus 6 ship out earlier when it was released last year?

2) If I go to the AT&T store to get the new smaller SIM card since I can't use the one from the N5 - Will I be able to ask for one and just keep it in my desk until I need to pop it in my new 6P? Am I allowed to have two SIM cards with my AT&T info on it?

3) I remember when I went from the N4 to the N5, I was able to automatically install all the previous applications I had on my N4 to the N5 along with my wifi passwords and what not. I'm considering starting from fresh when I move over to the 6P - I don't really want to bring over a lot of the clutter I have on my N5. Will I have the option on what I want to have transferred over?

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

FogHelmut posted:

Sorry it's gonna suck now.

Works great on mine honestly

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

FYI for all you people ordering the new 5x and want to be able to unlock the bootloader as soon as you get it, google is only including a USB C to USB C cable. You will NOT be able to use it to plug into your computer. You'll have to be sure to order a USB A to USB C cable ahead of time. The 6P comes with the A-C cable, but the 5X does not.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

bull3964 posted:

FYI for all you people ordering the new 5x and want to be able to unlock the bootloader as soon as you get it, google is only including a USB C to USB C cable. You will NOT be able to use it to plug into your computer. You'll have to be sure to order a USB A to USB C cable ahead of time. The 6P comes with the A-C cable, but the 5X does not.

Google has since come out and said that the 5x WILL have a usb c to usb cable like the 6p. They haven't updated the store or other pages though. Looks like I was wrong. Well poo poo.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Oct 2, 2015

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

havenwaters posted:

Google has since come out and said that the 5x WILL have a usb c to usb cable like the 6p. They haven't updated the store or other pages though.

They did? Good I was hoping that was a mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Busy Bee posted:

1) Looks like the model I ordered is now showing 4-5 weeks shipping on the order page instead of 5-6 weeks when I first ordered it - Did the Nexus 6 ship out earlier when it was released last year?

Did they charge your card when you ordered it? I'm seriously thinking about pre-ordering the 6P because I need a new phone and don't want to get in the back of the line when the reviews come out, but I also don't want to fork over $600 to Google for them to sit on until my phone ships at an unknown date.