Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Snuffman posted:

The multitasking menu?

Settings > General > Multitasking > Allow Multiple Apps

I should mention also, swiping from the right is a bit different now: swipe from the top or bottom of the right side and it performs whatever action it did before (ie Safari forward). Only the middle of the right side brings up the multitasking menu.

Thanks. What is it meant to do? I keep getting it when I try to swipe "forward"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

African AIDS cum posted:

Thanks. What is it meant to do? I keep getting it when I try to swipe "forward"

It allows you to pop up a micro-version of an app (say, Messages) while you're in another app (say, Safari) so you can do two things at once. Multitasking!

It needs work though. The list of apps needs to be editable (it isn't) and its missing some basic iOS apps like Music. Its a start.

its no big deal
Apr 19, 2015
Has anyone else ran into issues with PIP? I believe mine is quitting out when an ad starts/stops playing because it is reading that as the end of the video. That or it is a Hulu specific issue, as that's where I've tried to have on South Park while I do other things.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
So, I should be getting my ipad mini 2 in the mail tomorrow, but i still haven't decided on a case. There are just way too many, and half the videos seems like ads rather than real reviews.

So, I am wondering what you guys think about your case for your iPad Mini 2, and what should I get.

I think I like the look of folio cases, but I am not sure about the protectiveness of them. I also want it to have a screen protector, or the ability to have a tempered glass screen protector on the tablet, and still be able to fit in the case.

Veinless
Sep 11, 2008

Smells like motivation

Skwee posted:

So, I am wondering what you guys think about your case for your iPad Mini 2, and what should I get.

I love my Devicewear Ridge - lightweight and functional.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Skwee posted:

So, I should be getting my ipad mini 2 in the mail tomorrow, but i still haven't decided on a case. There are just way too many, and half the videos seems like ads rather than real reviews.

I think I like the look of folio cases, but I am not sure about the protectiveness of them. I also want it to have a screen protector, or the ability to have a tempered glass screen protector on the tablet, and still be able to fit in the case.

Pony up for the apple smart case. It's perfect.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

tuyop posted:

Pony up for the apple smart case. It's perfect.

Not really what I am looking for. I want more protection than that. So far I've liked the look of the Speck DuraFolio, and that Devicewear Ridge looks pretty good too.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Skwee posted:

Not really what I am looking for. I want more protection than that. So far I've liked the look of the Speck DuraFolio, and that Devicewear Ridge looks pretty good too.

These look identical in terms of protection to the smart case. It's not the Smart Cover, it's the all around leather case with cover. I teach Phys Ed and often have the iPad knocked out of my hands by basketballs or whatever and it goes clattering to the floor, it hasn't broken yet.

If you want protection, the Lifeproof stuff is pretty top notch and waterproof and all.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

tuyop posted:

These look identical in terms of protection to the smart case. It's not the Smart Cover, it's the all around leather case with cover. I teach Phys Ed and often have the iPad knocked out of my hands by basketballs or whatever and it goes clattering to the floor, it hasn't broken yet.

If you want protection, the Lifeproof stuff is pretty top notch and waterproof and all.

Oh I thought you were talking about the smart cover. I didn't realize that there was a case version

is there anything that keeps the case open/closed, or does the flap flap around

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Skwee posted:

Oh I thought you were talking about the smart cover. I didn't realize that there was a case version

is there anything that keeps the case open/closed, or does the flap flap around

Magnets keep it closed and open and when it's folded up as a stand and let it unlock when opened. The open magnets (on the rear of the case) are really weak though, and if you give it a good shake or mash it around you can get the screen exposed or flip it open.

I've never seen it unlocked in my bag or anything, though, and I just chuck it in there and haven't had any scratches yet.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

tuyop posted:

Magnets keep it closed and open and when it's folded up as a stand and let it unlock when opened. The open magnets (on the rear of the case) are really weak though, and if you give it a good shake or mash it around you can get the screen exposed or flip it open.

I've never seen it unlocked in my bag or anything, though, and I just chuck it in there and haven't had any scratches yet.

Hmm, eh, I don't think I really want to spend so much on it.

Veinless posted:

I love my Devicewear Ridge - lightweight and functional.

Any idea where I can buy this? It's out of stock on amazon and the official website.

There is an iPad Mini original case on amazon, but not for the mini 2, and i read that it might fit the best on the mini 2, which may be even tighter if I get a glass screen protector.

banana allergy
Jan 19, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Don't get a screen protector for your iPad. It literally will not help you and it will make your iPad ugly or fat or hard to use or some combination of the three.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Skwee posted:

Hmm, eh, I don't think I really want to spend so much on it.

You can usually get factory stolen ones on ebay for way cheaper.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

[...]I haven't seen many people break out an air and watch movies during my plane trips, so I am a bit concerned that maybe it would end up being too big and cumbersome for that sort of thing? Thanks!

Huh? I've used an iPad on plane trips since they've been a thing. And I've seen shitloads of other people doing so too. I don't know how it could possibly be too large for any plane. Hell, years ago I use to use a 15" laptop on flights and only ever had trouble if the person in front of me reclined. I really don't see how a full-size iPad could possibly ever be a problem for anyone on any flight.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Yeah I've watched plenty of movies on an iPad during flights. If people (wrongly) think an iPad is an acceptable size to use as a camera during concerts, then it's definitely compact enough for airplane movie watching.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yeah the iPad-as-camera thing is a bit strange to me too. The camera on them is terrible as well as looking goofy as hell.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Well, when all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
So I got my iPad in the mail today, and trying to set it up it is saying my apple id or password is incorrect. So I reset the password in case i was typing it wrong (i wasn't) and changed it to something else, and it is still saying that it is incorrect.

What do I do

e: tried to create a new one and when entering birth date it said failed to connect to server. guess i will have to skip it for now.

Skwee fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Sep 29, 2015

Veinless
Sep 11, 2008

Smells like motivation

Skwee posted:

Any idea where I can buy this? It's out of stock on amazon and the official website.

I bought my first one (iPad mini) on their eBay store, and my second one (iPad mini 2) on Amazon.

Fwiw I recall receiving the same model number both times, but perhaps that has changed.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Skwee posted:

I will 2nd this recommendation, I have one on my air 2.

The apple cases have horrible stability and many fewer usable angles - they're absolutely not worth the money.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
I'm finding iOS 9 choppy on my iPad air. Sigh. I think it's time for a mini 4.

e: 9.0.2 is much better, but still not smooth everywhere (:argh: spotlight).

Unity Gain fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Sep 30, 2015

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
So I am typing up a document in Pages. After a few paragraphs the keyboard became incredibly unresponsive, and I have to wait for maybe a second, or a little less between keystrokes in order for them to register at all. What is causing this? I can type here in the browser as quickly as I'm capable and it all registers just fine, and the same can be said if I create a new document in Pages. I already tried restarting my iPad.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

banana allergy posted:

Don't get a screen protector for your iPad. It literally will not help you and it will make your iPad ugly or fat or hard to use or some combination of the three.

For the love of god this.

Screen protectors are a waste of money.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

e.pilot posted:

People whose minds you've changed: 0

Please refresh to get an up-to-date number.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

e.pilot posted:

Yeah I have heeded that advice so far.

Also I have found that my iPad Mini with it's case on fits in:
My jeans pockets
My shorts pockets
My jacket inner pocket
My jacket outer pocket

It fits really perfectly into my inner jacket pocket.

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

There is so much beautiful in the world if you look around. You are only looking at the dirt under your feet, Jimmy. It's not good for you.
Because I was assuming it was a beta issue and I would not be on a beta anymore by now (but still am because I'm dumb), has anyone else ever had the issue where the volume of your iPad (in this case, a mini 2) is suddenly, say, halved?

It happens to me EVERY time I play a YouTube video and most of the time I can fix it by pausing the video and unpausing it. There's a substantial difference in loudness. In YouTube it isn't more than just annoying but in some other apps the volume stays too low half of the time.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

I Am Crake posted:

Because I was assuming it was a beta issue and I would not be on a beta anymore by now (but still am because I'm dumb), has anyone else ever had the issue where the volume of your iPad (in this case, a mini 2) is suddenly, say, halved?

It happens to me EVERY time I play a YouTube video and most of the time I can fix it by pausing the video and unpausing it. There's a substantial difference in loudness. In YouTube it isn't more than just annoying but in some other apps the volume stays too low half of the time.

Yes, the issue seems to be iOS wide and has presented with varying frequency since iOS7 here, across iphone 4/5/6+ and ipad 2/4/mini2. I don't ever expect it to be fixed.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

I Am Crake posted:

Haven't watched many videos yet on mine, but I did have an issue with alarm volume being too quiet even though the preview of the audio was max volume. Turns out there is a 2nd volume control in the settings for alarms and notifications.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I Am Crake posted:

I know on the iPhone there's an issue where if you open Facebook it ducks the volume and it won't fix until you actually unload the app from memory. It doesn't matter if you switch to another app, until you force unload Facebook, your volume is halved. Sounds like the YouTube app was coded just lovely.

I don't know if the Facebook thing has been addressed or not, since I removed it ages ago. And I use a different YouTube client. Note: I haven't experienced this issue on either my phone or iPad, but only what people have reported.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

A co-worker's nephew got a new iPad as a gift recently, but when he set it up he apparently did it with a fake email address and some nonsense password he doesn't remember. Now of course he can't download apps or do anything.

Do they have any options to recover it? Would an Apple store be able to help if they could prove it's theirs, and not stolen?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

A co-worker's nephew got a new iPad as a gift recently, but when he set it up he apparently did it with a fake email address and some nonsense password he doesn't remember. Now of course he can't download apps or do anything.

Do they have any options to recover it? Would an Apple store be able to help if they could prove it's theirs, and not stolen?

Proof of purchase and they'll sort it out.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

flosofl posted:

I know on the iPhone there's an issue where if you open Facebook it ducks the volume and it won't fix until you actually unload the app from memory. It doesn't matter if you switch to another app, until you force unload Facebook, your volume is halved. Sounds like the YouTube app was coded just lovely.

I don't know if the Facebook thing has been addressed or not, since I removed it ages ago. And I use a different YouTube client. Note: I haven't experienced this issue on either my phone or iPad, but only what people have reported.

There are a lot of lovely apps that gently caress the device-wide audio, many of them only when you're getting an incoming call while they are active. It is almost assuredly lovely code on the dev's part, but isn't avoiding bullshit like that in theory a part of why we have the walled garden and sandboxing?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Kaizoku posted:

There are a lot of lovely apps that gently caress the device-wide audio, many of them only when you're getting an incoming call while they are active. It is almost assuredly lovely code on the dev's part, but isn't avoiding bullshit like that in theory a part of why we have the walled garden and sandboxing?

Well, there's tradeoffs aren't there? People value background processing like having an app play a podcast or music in the background. I mean sure, Apple could create a total wall between the system and apps, but then you wouldn't have a lot of the features that people take for granted on smart phones.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Has any reviewer gotten their hands on the iPad Pro yet? I'm just wondering what the difference between the Pro and an Air 2 will be - I like the screen size on the Pro but there aren't a lot of current iOS apps I can see utilizing that space very well (though I'd start using Snapseed again on a huge screen).

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

flosofl posted:

Well, there's tradeoffs aren't there? People value background processing like having an app play a podcast or music in the background. I mean sure, Apple could create a total wall between the system and apps, but then you wouldn't have a lot of the features that people take for granted on smart phones.

Yeah, I meant more the curated App Store than the sandboxing, but really that's not what they're looking for in that.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Kaizoku posted:

Yeah, I meant more the curated App Store than the sandboxing, but really that's not what they're looking for in that.

Oh, I'm with you on that. While the developers have released lovely code, it's completely on Apple's curators for not testing that poo poo and letting it in. I understand that they run automated tests for the code and mostly have actual humans look for content violations. But you'd think after enough people have bitched about lovely battery draining apps and mysterious audio reduction that ended up tracked back to specific apps, they'd include that in their testing.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

1st AD posted:

Has any reviewer gotten their hands on the iPad Pro yet? I'm just wondering what the difference between the Pro and an Air 2 will be - I like the screen size on the Pro but there aren't a lot of current iOS apps I can see utilizing that space very well (though I'd start using Snapseed again on a huge screen).

But are there 2 apps that can use that space?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Ever since upgrading to iOS 9, I feel like the Air 2 might just work another year without moving to the Pro.

It's still so capable. I'm wondering if they'll manage to squeeze 3D touch into it, but I wonder how much heavier it'll be to get there.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

Yeast posted:

Ever since upgrading to iOS 9, I feel like the Air 2 might just work another year without moving to the Pro.

It's still so capable. I'm wondering if they'll manage to squeeze 3D touch into it, but I wonder how much heavier it'll be to get there.

9.0 has definitely pushed the Air 1 into showing-its-age territory. I imagine 10.0 will do that to the Air 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Croc Monster posted:

9.0 has definitely pushed the Air 1 into showing-its-age territory. I imagine 10.0 will do that to the Air 2.

Just curious, cause the Mini 2/3 has the same specs, and to be honest, its running better than ever.

The big lynchpin I've always noticed is Safari performance, but with all the awesome adblock'n going on, my mini is performing better than ever. I mean, I was able to watch a movie on Netflix and switch between IMDB and Wikipedia to look at stuff related to said movie without netflix needing to reload the whole thing.

IMDB is likely the bigger culprit...I hope