Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

OctoberBlues posted:

I think FS1 has some college football games, the type that no one is actively watching except fans of the two teams playing.

And degenerate gamblers. :10bux:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

OctoberBlues posted:

I think FS1 has some college football games, the type that no one is actively watching except fans of the two teams playing.

Basically it's whichever Big 12 games feature Iowa State and Kansas.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Henchman of Santa posted:

Basically it's whichever Big 12 games feature Iowa State and Kansas.

That is literally what I was thinking as I typed that.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

CaptainYesterday posted:

With the Big Ten Conference the only big rights available in the near future, Fox did their damnedest to hype up Harbaugh's first game at Michigan. Getting the rights from ESPN would certainly help FS1 with casual viewers, and considering BTN is majority owned by Fox, you can't rule them out.

Unless they get an absolutely absurd offer (which fox might do) I think the Big Ten is going to try to stay with ESPN. It's way better as far as exposure goes.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
This brings up a whole chicken-or-egg situation with FS1: you need people watching the channel to get big-time contracts, and you need big-time contracts to get people watching the channel.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Fox sports does have pac-12 so at least they have a good number of college games. The issue right now is they're too split with certain sports.

Right now NBCSN has in my view the better long term future versus fox. They just locked up the EPL which is definitely a growth property in the USA through 2021. It's annoying if you like European soccer though because Fox has UEFA Champions league matches and I believe they're doing Bundesliga too. On that end, Fox soccer channel splits duty with ESPN on MLS which is also a growing league.

That said NBCSN is kind of grabbing up the smaller stuff with hockey and more motorsports stuff. It's kind of a confusing second tier landscape though. Ratings are up at Fox Sports 1 though compared with last year. I'm basically all for more competition.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

soggybagel posted:

That said NBCSN is kind of grabbing up the smaller stuff with hockey and more motorsports stuff. It's kind of a confusing second tier landscape though. Ratings are up at Fox Sports 1 though compared with last year. I'm basically all for more competition.
NBCSN started out by basically focusing on sports properties that have smaller, but more reliable, audiences and it's working out quite well for them. I don't think anyone quite knows what the hell Fox Sports is doing.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
If fox sports takes a few more chances on low cost programming that could bloom into long term fans I think they could do well. I'm specifically thinking of Katie Nolan's show Garbage Time. I guarantee that show costs very little but it's an alternative to loud idiotic old guys yelling.

But yeah it ultimately comes down to the sports. And what they offer isn't awesome. Their biggest feather in the cap seems to be MLB playoffs.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

It's funny, FS1 touted itself as being the alternate to ESPN's obsession with Tebow, then they hire an executive who played a big role in that.

Speaking of which, now FS1 is looking for more opinion-based shows:

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2015/09/30/Media/Americas-Pregame-FS1.aspx

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I only watch FS1 for Champions League and Bundesliga because it's the only option in America

So of course they put half the games on FS2 which literally nobody gets

E: They also have UFC but the Fight Night cards are almost universally garbage

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The University of Illinois now has a Manderin broadcast for football games. Very cool

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
There is barely enough interest in Illinois football to support an English broadcast.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

zakharov posted:

NBCSN has hockey and soccer. FS1 has...some baseball games?

NBCSN also has a lot of autoracing including Indycar, and NASCARs two higher series for second half of the season.

FS1 has NASCAR trucks full season and Xfinity for a half season iirc.

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Fox Sports 1 has Katie Nolan's show, so that's something

I mean, I watch it on Youtube usually, but still

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MourningView posted:

Unless they get an absolutely absurd offer (which fox might do) I think the Big Ten is going to try to stay with ESPN. It's way better as far as exposure goes.

It is, but ESPN is supposed to cut something like $550 million in costs over the next two years. College football has been their bread and butter for a long time in terms of viewership but I wouldn't be stunned to see them take a hard line with the Big Ten, especially since Big Ten has its network.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Timby posted:

It is, but ESPN is supposed to cut something like $550 million in costs over the next two years. College football has been their bread and butter for a long time in terms of viewership but I wouldn't be stunned to see them take a hard line with the Big Ten, especially since Big Ten has its network.

They're cutting costs specifically to save money to bid on live events, which are one of the few things stopping anyone from dropping cable entirely. Their current deal with the Big Ten is still really good for them. They still air almost all of the marquee matchups, and those games still do some of the best ratings in college football, particularly games involving OSU or Michigan.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

They should have a show that consists of a few guys that make comments on articles online yelling at each other, so everyone can see how ridiculous half that poo poo would be if you said it out loud.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

MourningView posted:

They're cutting costs specifically to save money to bid on live events, which are one of the few things stopping anyone from dropping cable entirely. Their current deal with the Big Ten is still really good for them. They still air almost all of the marquee matchups, and those games still do some of the best ratings in college football, particularly games involving OSU or Michigan.

If you think ESPN is going to drop an 11AM Northwestern-Purdue game, you are insane.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

R.D. Mangles posted:

If you think ESPN is going to drop an 11AM Northwestern-Purdue game, you are insane.

Goddamn I want to know who at ESPN has such a hard on for Purdue. Even on Goal Line they never shut up about them. "Wow the boilermakers having a tough game against noted good team Bowling Green"

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Peanut President posted:

Goddamn I want to know who at ESPN has such a hard on for Purdue. Even on Goal Line they never shut up about them. "Wow the boilermakers having a tough game against noted good team Bowling Green"

I'm am talking out of my rear end here, but I imagine the Big Ten has a contract with ESPN that says they have to air every team, so they can burn off two poo poo teams simultaneously with an 11AM Beth Mowins shitfest.

I have no idea though, but I can't imagine that most televisions tuned into a Northwestern/lovely Big Ten team game are broadcasting blankly to a bar.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Peanut President posted:

Goal Line really suffers at times by being limited to stuff on an ESPN network.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

R.D. Mangles posted:

I'm am talking out of my rear end here, but I imagine the Big Ten has a contract with ESPN that says they have to air every team, so they can burn off two poo poo teams simultaneously with an 11AM Beth Mowins shitfest.

Before BTN was a thing Iowa was the Pam Ward game almost every week for like a solid three straight years. And we got Mark Jones/Bob Davie like four or five weeks in a row in 2002 too.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Brian Griese is the worst loving commentator in the world.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Idk mack brown might be taking that crown

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

MourningView posted:

Goal Line really suffers at times by being limited to stuff on an ESPN network.

You can almost feel the host's disappointment every time an SEC barnburner on CBS is going down to the wire and he's stuck with a bunch of B1G/ACC jabronies flailing around

Benne fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Oct 1, 2015

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Peanut President posted:

Maybe they think my dad is like the only one that watches College Goal Line?

Also, I wish they did in fact have a hard-on for Purdue. That would mean that Purdue was actually relevant, and not some poo poo heap of a program that collapsed when Kyle Orton fumbled against loving Wisconsin.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
You could always join the dark side and watch cool and good European soccer at 12 p.m. ET instead of lovely-rear end Big Ten football

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Benne posted:

You could always join the dark side and watch cool and good European soccer at 12 p.m. ET instead of lovely-rear end Big Ten football

Exact same poo poo just replace Indiana Taxpayer Funded Foootball and a MAC school with Manchester and a soon-to-be-relegated team.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

the first two simmons podcasts on hbo are loving cousin sal and jacko you can't write this poo poo

here's the link:

https://t.co/8Cj2cUJvoh

e: tbh it's tremendously entertaining, he's in f u mode

straight up brolic fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Oct 1, 2015

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Benne posted:

There's nothing like having a kid to make you appreciate sports that are (1) on at 7:45 am on weekends and (2) over in less than 2 hours

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

straight up brolic posted:

the first two simmons podcasts on hbo are loving cousin sal and jacko you can't write this poo poo

here's the link:

https://t.co/8Cj2cUJvoh

e: tbh it's tremendously entertaining, he's in f u mode

Seems like pretty much the exact same thing to me and lol that his big debut it with his two dumb friends

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It's not the same thing. Now he openly mocks the NFL and ESPN.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

him making GBS threads on mike and mike is pretty funny

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
He was already poo poo talking the nfl constantly and most of his current concern seems to be that they were mean to a team he likes, not any sort of righteous moral stance. He's still pretty much the same dude making the same sorts of crappy jokes with the same people. some of those bad jokes just happen to now be targeted at ESPN. Which oh boy, a place on the Internet they will make fun of ESPN, that is what was missing. Also historically a slighted feeling Bill Simmons gets old real fast, as evidenced by the like four years of him being genuinely mad at the Timberwolves for not hiring him as gm.

I mean hey if you like him then you like him that's fine. Lots of people do. I just don't think his schtick is very entertaining. His podcast is good when he has an interesting guest, not when he is navel gazing with his annoying and unfunny friends

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

"We're going to talk baseball playoffs with Jack-O" :barf:

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

howe_sam posted:

Haven't gotten to that part yet but the baseball talk is always so hilariously bad that it's funny.

Marklar
Jul 24, 2003

Ball is Love
Ball is Life

howe_sam posted:

Yeah - I honestly like his podcasts with Cousin Sal, but Jack-O I just don't find entertaining, and he gets real snippy about the Yankees.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
I remain baffled by anyone voluntarily listening to an hour of Bill Simmons talking.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

zakharov posted:

I remain baffled by anyone voluntarily listening to an hour of Bill Simmons talking.

It works when he has a good guest because he can actually be an okay host. His own opinions are godawful but he can push other people towards saying interesting things, and he used to get a lot of good guests. His Buddy Jack-O is not one of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Jack-O really is his worst guest. I love Sal and find his other friends tolerable, but that guy is unlistenable.

Also, I wonder how long it's going to take before Sal (and other ABC/ESPN/Disney employees) are banned from the show due to something that is said.