Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

So what's the goto podcast client these days? I'd like something with PC support (web client would be fine, but I don't have a Mac), which seems to limit me to Overcast or Pocket Casts, correct?

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Sep 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Mahoning posted:

I have background app refresh off for the Facebook app. I also use my work computer for Facebook between 9am and about 4 or 5pm. And mostly use my iPad once I get home.

Facebook has used 30% of my battery in the last 24 hours and 29% in the last 4 days.

Definitely don’t do anything crazy like propose that people should delete Facebook and use the website, both because the website has less of this battery-usage bullshit built in, and because you can send messages. People will rail against you like idiots for it.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Maneki Neko posted:

So what's the goto podcast client these days? I'd like something with PC support (web client would be fine, but I don't have a Mac), which seems to limit me to Overcast or Pocket Casts, correct?
Having used both Overcast and Pocket Casts quite a lot, they're both really awesome and you should be happy with either.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

bobfather posted:

Definitely don’t do anything crazy like propose that people should delete Facebook and use the website, both because the website has less of this battery-usage bullshit built in, and because you can send messages. People will rail against you like idiots for it.

Or like, don't stare at Facebook all day every day? Read a book or get an rss reader for your news. Your friends are idiots anyway.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Maneki Neko posted:

Both are fine in fact. I've used both and love them, but I love Overcast a bit more because of Smart Speed. It's a useful feature.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Is Swift Key 4 mostly functional on iOS? I just switched from a Nexus 5 and the stock keyboard is starting to get on my nerves a bit.

Also, is there anything wrong with the default Podcasts app? I used to use it with my iPhone 4 when it was integrated, but when I have used it in the interim with an iPod touch, something got desynced and like nuked half of my feeds. I'm open to using something that isn't a dumpster fire.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Both are fine in fact. I've used both and love them, but I love Overcast a bit more because of Smart Speed. It's a useful feature.

Note that Overcast's smart speed isn't available in the webplayer, which always makes me default to either using my phone or not listening at all. Getting used to the convenience has a cost.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Phone posted:

Is Swift Key 4 mostly functional on iOS? I just switched from a Nexus 5 and the stock keyboard is starting to get on my nerves a bit.

Also, is there anything wrong with the default Podcasts app? I used to use it with my iPhone 4 when it was integrated, but when I have used it in the interim with an iPod touch, something got desynced and like nuked half of my feeds. I'm open to using something that isn't a dumpster fire.
I use Swiftkey. Sometimes it doesn't show up, but usually the stock one will pop up instead. Although the 3d touch trackpad on the stock keyboard is awesome so I use it sometimes instead now.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

tuyop posted:

Or like, don't stare at Facebook all day every day? Read a book or get an rss reader for your news. Your friends are idiots anyway.

I don’t look at Facebook but a couple times a day. The problem is the Facebook app acts like a voip application and stays active even when you aren’t looking at it. Hence the complaints about its egregious battery usage.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
My biggest battery usage by a country mile is the Awful app. I mean, I use I the most so it makes some sense, but I am still always so shocked when I see the breakdowns.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I have a stupid question, I admit that

But how do you guys use to do apps? Do you just check the app occasionally to see what you had scheduled yourself to do? I made a notation to call someone today but I wouldn't have known about it unless I opened the app and that time, I already remembered *why* I was opening the app and what was in it.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

bobfather posted:

I don’t look at Facebook but a couple times a day. The problem is the Facebook app acts like a voip application and stays active even when you aren’t looking at it. Hence the complaints about its egregious battery usage.

Or the complaints about its recent penchant for ducking your audio if you don't explicitly force-quit it.

The Facebook app is dreamy.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Molten Llama posted:

Or the complaints about its recent penchant for ducking your audio if you don't explicitly force-quit it.

The Facebook app is dreamy.

Can verify this one. Was road tripping over the weekend, using Apple Music and surfing on my phone. I opened the Facebook app and the audio volume lowered to maybe half what it was. It didn't go back to regular volume until I force quit the Facebook app.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I've been happy with Downcast for a while but what exactly is Overcast's Smart speed and how much time do you save?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

hadji murad posted:

I've been happy with Downcast for a while but what exactly is Overcast's Smart speed and how much time do you save?

It removes silences and pauses in podcasts automatically. It has saved me 7 hours of listening time in hundreds of hours of podcasts.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bobfather posted:

It removes silences and pauses in podcasts automatically. It has saved me 7 hours of listening time in hundreds of hours of podcasts.

I've been using Overcast since release and it has saved me 184 hours so far. That's also listening in double speed.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
My password manager has saved me 138 hours of rain.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

CaptainPsyko posted:

My password manager has saved me 138 hours of rain.

:newlol:

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

No one ever mentions Pocket Casts but it works very well and I've been using it for a long time.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

I've been using Overcast since release and it has saved me 184 hours so far. That's also listening in double speed.

Does it track the Smart Speed? Is it on by default? I just upgraded it so going to give it a shot.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

noirstronaut posted:

I have a stupid question, I admit that

But how do you guys use to do apps? Do you just check the app occasionally to see what you had scheduled yourself to do? I made a notation to call someone today but I wouldn't have known about it unless I opened the app and that time, I already remembered *why* I was opening the app and what was in it.

Pretty much that. It feels weird when you start doing it, but it's more about getting an overview of your immediate goals into your routine than some magic that suddenly makes you organized. These days I keep a paper planner for personal things that has cursory references to work items, and then work items on the phone with cursory references to personal things (I.e. Grocery list on paper, need to buy groceries listed on phone).

Veinless
Sep 11, 2008

Smells like motivation
Anyone else finding Weblock really slow on iOS 9? Twitch streams take forever to load, as an example. Turning off Weblock makes it fast again.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Is there any way to manually add ad-URLs with these mobile adblockers? I often see ads get throough both Crystal and Purify.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

hadji murad posted:

Does it track the Smart Speed? Is it on by default? I just upgraded it so going to give it a shot.

It's in the Effects menu

It's really loving good

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

What's worth clarifying about Overcast's Smart Speed is that it doesn't remove all silence. It's more like it shortens silence. It removes enough to make a noticeable difference without sounding unnatural.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
So it's been decided that 1Blocker is the best?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Dashlane is better.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Is there an example of Smart Speed like on YouTube or something?

noirstronaut posted:

So it's been decided that 1Blocker is the best?

This is what that guy recommended with a 4 part in depth look at content blockers. I've been using it since I got the 6s but I noticed as of like 2-3 days ago Safari is CONSTANTLY loading blank pages no matter what I do until I hit refresh. Google search: blank page. Hit refresh and tap first result: blank page. Refresh always fixes it but it's annoying as gently caress. Since last night I've turned off 1Blocker and the blank pages have completely disappeared. I can't find anyone else with this problem though in recent searches so maybe it was a local problem with me but I dunno. It did this on both wifi and LTE, both from different providers obviously. I tried clearing cache, delete all internet saved things etc. I'm gonna give it another day without 1Bloker before turning it on again to see if the problems come back and maybe try something different.

Pissflaps posted:

Dashlane is better.

What pedometer can explain this meme to me? (No seriously where did this meme come from).

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Xabi posted:

Is there any way to manually add ad-URLs with these mobile adblockers? I often see ads get throough both Crystal and Purify.

You can with some of them but not others. 1blocker is the most customizable, and you can manually add your own urls with it.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Thank you. I might try that then if the other two won't unblock ads on sites I visit regularly.

Also, are there any decent apps that will let me download Youtube videos these days?

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is there an example of Smart Speed like on YouTube or something?
https://www.macstories.net/reviews/overcast-review/

The app lets you preview it for 5 minutes at a time or something before you IAP.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

What pedometer can explain this meme to me? (No seriously where did this meme come from).

It started in the old Apps megathread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3522474&pagenumber=51&perpage=40#post41618776

Basically, all at once a bunch of people were asking about password manager "Dashlane" without having read the 1-5 posts before them that also were asking about "Dashlane." This thread only talks about password managers, podcast clients, and weather apps with orange icons anyway.

I guess content blockers are joining that pantheon now.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009
Tweetbot 4 is out, $5 for upgrade, or $5 rising to $10 after a launch period for new users.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

My weather app has a blue icon. I wish it had an orange icon, though. :(

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

drat, that dude wrote a New Yorker novella about an iPhone app.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Neurophonic posted:

Tweetbot 4 is out, $5 for upgrade, or $5 rising to $10 after a launch period for new users.
What does it change/improve?

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

Michael Scott posted:

drat, that dude wrote a New Yorker novella about an iPhone app.

yes, that's kind of his thing

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

What does it change/improve?

New activity thing with a chart and listing faves, follows, retweets and stuff. New tweet composer with a photo uploader that's a lot like messages. Lots of little details have been improved, like profile pages letting you follow and unfollow without opening a menu.

That's just on the iPhone, it's a bigger update for iPad but I haven't checked that out yet.

I'm real happy with it but I'm easy to please. I'm glad they didn't change anything that didn't need changing.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Dual column on ipad sounds handy. Can you have one column just watching hashtags or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I upgraded anyway because it's probably one of my most-used apps. Tweetbot 4 is real pretty and the Activity page is going to be super useful. That was kind of a glaring omission in Tweetbot 3.