Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Killer, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Lots of news from the Eurogamer expo.

To summarize:
  • October 6th release date for 1.0! Which adds...
  • ...a fleshed-out story mode, ala the tutorial. Four chapters, spanning eight hours, covering various prison themes with dark humor and acting as an extended tutorial.
  • ...and a surprise new game mode that the Introversion boys have been building in secret on the side - Escape Mode! In this mode, you're a prisoner, and you have to build your reputation up using an RPG style progression system and hopefully get your rear end out of there. Every prison made in Sandbox mode can be played in Escape mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Vd5EeO-YLI
(skip to 9:12 for the actual start)

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Escape Mode looks great. Really channeling Dwarf Fortress here. Make a Fort, make an Adventurer for that fort.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
These guys are seriously awesome. Take note every other indie dev on EA because these guys know how it's done.

Honestly, did anyone here ever imagine them adding something as big as loving escape mode? Holy balls this is amazing and huge.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
MY PRISONS ARE UNESCAPABLE probably

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

I hope you can still enter escape mode by being convicted of malfeasance. The idea of some bureaucrat going to jail and ending up some merciless gang leader is too good not to happen.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
The trailer shown at 32:45 of that video was beautiful. :allears:

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Oh god yes. gently caress escaping, this is finally the gangland simulator I've been waiting for!

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I'm sad nobody asked questions about escape mode, because I'm quite curious on a lot of basic stuff -- is it going to force you to follow the regime? How? How are jobs going to work? Will shakedowns happen, and if so at random or do they get triggered? Because it seemed like escaping was as easy as "hop into toilet, start tunneling, nobody ever comes to look for me".

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Yeah I'm wondering how that will work. From what it looks like the real end game of that mood will be forming a super gang of prisoners to take over the entire prison.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Here's hoping they fine tune the escape mode a bit. The fact Chris could walk around with a pick axe in hand and guards didn't care bugged me more than it probably should.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

I assumed that was an abstraction for the player's benefit, since you rarely see prisoners just holding the poo poo they're (always!!!) smuggling.

CheetoRamen
Feb 1, 2013
Oooh, I'd hoped they would do this ever since they added the "get fired and you are locked in your own prison" feature, and again when they added item trading between prisoners. There is so much potential there, but an equally really really deep rabbit hole of development time.

I can't wait!

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Unless it's surprisingly polished, I'm probably not going to bother with escape mode.

I just want mostly just want interface improvements like a sensibly designed patrol and program scheduler.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

I feel like I'm going to waste stupid amounts of time trying to build prisons I can't escape from.

mune
Sep 23, 2006
So I bought this game a few months ago (like 6) and got distracted and never really got to play it more than an hour or so. Finally have some time and thought I'd get to it.

Is it more like Dwarf Fortress in that you're destined to fail, it's just a matter of when, or can you generally manage to keep plugging forward?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

mune posted:

So I bought this game a few months ago (like 6) and got distracted and never really got to play it more than an hour or so. Finally have some time and thought I'd get to it.

Is it more like Dwarf Fortress in that you're destined to fail, it's just a matter of when, or can you generally manage to keep plugging forward?

It's definitely possible to just keep plugging forward. It's obviously harder with stuff like gangs and random events turned on, but its nowhere near DF-level of 'everyone dies now'

mune
Sep 23, 2006

Away all Goats posted:

It's definitely possible to just keep plugging forward. It's obviously harder with stuff like gangs and random events turned on, but its nowhere near DF-level of 'everyone dies now'

Cool. I liked that whole philosophy with DF, I just don't know if I have the patience for it anymore. Looking forward to starting this up again.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Yeah, endgame in PA is more just you getting sick of looking at that particular prison and selling it to make a new one

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

Yeah, endgame in PA is more just you getting sick of looking at that particular prison and its security flaws and selling it to make a new one

FTFY

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Is it bad that I took a legendary prisoner that I made into a CI, maxed his suspicion out, then left him alone amongst other high security prisoners?

Dude was getting on my nerves.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yes, because what's going to happen is that you're going to end up with a whole bunch of dead high security prisoners and one still very alive legendary snitch.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

That sounds like a win/win tbh

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Moridin920 posted:

Is it bad that I took a legendary prisoner that I made into a CI, maxed his suspicion out, then left him alone amongst other high security prisoners?

Dude was getting on my nerves.

Make sure to document the outcome.

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

Yeah, endgame in PA is more just you getting sick of looking at that particular prison and selling it to make a new one

i literally never get tired of watching my new prison run it's daily simulation.

My new game is trying to set the intake to a number that matches the number of releases each day so high enough to stay status quo but also low enough to keep the number of prisoners from spilling over into the holding cells.

I've found my current super prison can do 15 Min 5 Normal and 3 Max a day.

PantsFreeZone fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Sep 29, 2015

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Escape Mode looks to be everything I wanted out of this game. Well, technically I wanted to be able to port my prisons into The Escapists, but this is just as good if not better.

mune
Sep 23, 2006
Wow this game is dense, but fun. Still trying to learn the basics of having a functional prison.

Had a riot where ~30 people died because I wasn't doing a good job taking care of their needs. I lowered the intake to like 2 prisoners a day which is helping with the overcrowding but I feel like I'm cheating.

Still so much to learn.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Just turn off intake until your prison is ready to accommodate more people. It's not cheating because your cashflow will start to drop slowly but surely as your prisoners die/make parole/get released, and eventually you'll have no choice but to take on more.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
So whatever happened to the tablet version? They made an entire video about it a few months back, but it still hasn't come out and as far as I can tell they haven't mentioned it once since then

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

super fart shooter posted:

So whatever happened to the tablet version? They made an entire video about it a few months back, but it still hasn't come out and as far as I can tell they haven't mentioned it once since then
Their tablet subforum seems pretty dead. I'm guessing all their attention is on the PC 1.0 release. They had secret test builds that some people were playing around with, but nothing public recently.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Got some fresh Escape Mode footage.

Man I can't wait to get stuck into this mode.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

ShootaBoy posted:

Got some fresh Escape Mode footage.

Man I can't wait to get stuck into this mode.
Once again he ignores prison regiment, including eating or sleeping, and once again nobody asks questions about that. It's glaring.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

I'm assuming that it's ignored in their demos because it takes time and they're cheating. I highly doubt they've cut it out entirely and I really don't get why people are freaking out over it.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

super fart shooter posted:

I heard one of the guys recently say Q4 2015 for iOS and Android.

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
So will 1.0 be optimised so I can run lots of prisoners?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

ShootaBoy posted:

I'm assuming that it's ignored in their demos because it takes time and they're cheating. I highly doubt they've cut it out entirely and I really don't get why people are freaking out over it.

It drastically affects the availability of the contraband that you would rely so heavily on to get rep. If the regime doesn't matter, nothing's stopping you from waltzing into the workshop to steal some of the most lethal poo poo, basically at any time. Or two pickaxes, like he did in the video. If a prison is supposed to be a puzzle to solve (and in many ways, that's what escaping is), then not having to regard the regime is a huge piece of the puzzle that's simply missing.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

Coolguye posted:

It drastically affects the availability of the contraband that you would rely so heavily on to get rep. If the regime doesn't matter, nothing's stopping you from waltzing into the workshop to steal some of the most lethal poo poo, basically at any time. Or two pickaxes, like he did in the video. If a prison is supposed to be a puzzle to solve (and in many ways, that's what escaping is), then not having to regard the regime is a huge piece of the puzzle that's simply missing.

Do guards even enforce the regime in fortress mode? I don't think they do, the prisoner AI is what follows the regime. Guards will stop prisoners if they are in an area they shouldn't be or if they are attempting to escape but I have never seen a guard cuff a guy for being in the shower during canteen time.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

That point is academic since prisoners only violate regime if they're misbehaving in other ways anyway. The concept doesn't fully transfer over.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Jamsque posted:

Do guards even enforce the regime in fortress mode? I don't think they do, the prisoner AI is what follows the regime. Guards will stop prisoners if they are in an area they shouldn't be or if they are attempting to escape but I have never seen a guard cuff a guy for being in the shower during canteen time.

No, they don't. Right now, I expect escape mode to be trivial for the most part. Like they said, the game is 1.0, but escape mode is still in alpha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Autism
Jul 1, 2009

FREEDOM
INCARNATE

KillHour posted:

No, they don't. Right now, I expect escape mode to be trivial for the most part. Like they said, the game is 1.0, but escape mode is still in alpha.

They also said that they didn't want it to take forever.

I have a feeling that regime enforcement was extremely lax because it was a demo, but perhaps they'll add it in if it's not.

• Locked thread