Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
Now.. If you can sell yourself as a security expert, the sky's the limit these days. Clearances are nice but not at all required. The demand for security folks of all stripes is far larger than just the DoD or even USG for that matter. States, counties, and cities and some individual businesses and a smaller number of actual individuals all have a need for a security expert, everywhere. The skill sets vary, naturally. But it's nothing a reasonably smart and disciplined individual couldn't learn and master if driven to do so.

I leave it to the reader on how to parlay their Air Force time into marketable "security expertise" but it's far from difficult, and with a little leg work and some serious study any of you mooks can sell yourselves as security experts of some variety. Be it physical, computer/network, or even straight up security engineering for some.. At the bottom of this barrel we can scrape guard duty and ID checking type jobs. They're horrible but pay the bills while you get your rear end out of that MPF or DFAC you've worked in for 4 years and go get some certifications and training and get going on your new found life as a security expert / consultant / maybe someday engineer. Not that there's really hard and fast rules on these titles and jobs however.

But yeah. "Security" is the new moneymaker. Organizations at all levels spending money not knowing why, easy takings for those willing to mine for it.

Real talk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragaman
Feb 6, 2002
Title? I dont need no stinkin' Title
^^^ Pretty much this, especially if you are a comm guy and you are pretty well versed in security, be it policy/administrative or hands on with network defense/engineering etc, there are decent jobs on the outside. Last thing someone would do is outsource security poo poo like that to China right...? :ughh:

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
I wasn't even a comm guy but CC's provided all the classes I needed to

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Apropos of nothing, Starship Troopers is ordinarily a good popcorn flick and satire of American culture, but now that I'm drunk I can see that it was the best of its kind. Basically predicted the 9/11 response and much of the bullshit to follow.

I'm from New York, and I say kill 'em all.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
SERVICE GUARANTEES CITIZENSHIP

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
I do background checks for a living, going through resumes sent to employers who have us hired to vet out potential hires and the like. My brother/boss has stopped calling it "Recruiting assistance" and "Staffing expertise" and has began calling it "Forward Personnel Security and Open Source Intelligence" and people are gobbling that poo poo up. We've added so many businesses to our client list that really have ZERO need for actual security, just someone to run background checks and verify via social media that they aren't a complete human turd who will ruin their office. But you can;t sell them poo poo they actually NEED, you can only sell some of these idiots buzzwords, and goddam if 'security' and 'intelligence' aren't tickling their lil' corporate wieners ever so gently

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
I did an Air Force fitness parody video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_arxh5PCrU

The run in particular brings back great memories of being in tech school and doing the whole "shuffle run" where you act like you're running... but really aren't. My only regret is that the source material had no bike test footage :(

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I wish they still did tests on that track. It was so much easier mentally to do 1.5 miles in one go instead of 6 laps around a big rectangle.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Cojawfee posted:

I wish they still did tests on that track. It was so much easier mentally to do 1.5 miles in one go instead of 6 laps around a big rectangle.

No joke; I think it was Osan that made us do the indoor track and it was like 6-8 loops around for 1 mile. I think down in tech school we had to run on an abandoned runway as well, which was quite annoying due to the cement that would heat up to a billion degrees during the summer months.

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope
Osan's indoor track is 14 laps for a mile and a half. The outdoor track isn't much better. It's 7.5 laps (liars) and it's boiling hot because they do the run at 1100.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Cojawfee posted:

The Ramstein track was like 8.2 laps of a weird undulating path.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Leather Bear posted:

The current Ramstein track is 3.75 laps.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Is it the outdoor track that's actually a rocky trail?

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Leather Bear posted:

My favorite was the one before this. You ran on a jogging trail, but you ran out and back in a straight line twice, you got to slow down so you didn't die on the asphalt when you turned around 3 times!

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

xsf421 posted:

My favorite was the one before this. You ran on a jogging trail, but you ran out and back in a straight line twice, you got to slow down so you didn't die on the asphalt when you turned around 3 times!

This one year they had us run off base, a couple roundabouts out the main gate towards ramstein (think it was right past the highway ramp?). I remember this one girl drank like 4 Dr. Peppers before hand and then threw up and fainted. Best group PT test ever.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

Here they do make up tests at a local college's indoor track, it's something like 16 times around to get a mile and a half. Quite the incentive not to fail. Our regular test are on the perimeter road and we do out and back.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k
thank you! i'll try to dig it up tomorrow at work.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Not military related, but I cannot stop laughing at this: http://mediadownloads.mlb.com/mlbam/2015/10/01/14-416010-2015-09-30/web_cut/mlbtv_511523483_1200K.mp4

edit: apparently it works in Safari, but not FireFox?

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum
Final out was today. I'm free and ready for some paid vacation.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You can still gently caress up so bad that they can drag you back in.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
I remember when a PT test was just a ride on a stupid little bike with monitors attached to you, and you could conjure virtually any excuse imaginable to explain why you didn't "pass" it :allears:

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
Drill was cancelled today for tomorrow due to flooding in SC, so they sent us home. Meanwhile, the poor bastards in the Army Guard are preparing to mobilize for flood duty.

lol army

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

lol if you're still in

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Now that I moved to an admin shop, I do maybe two hours of work a day, and I get paid the same as my friends who work 12s.

Why on earth would I ever want to get out?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Kandak Sayaqa posted:

Now that I moved to an admin shop, I do maybe two hours of work a day, and I get paid the same as my friends who work 12s.

Because eventually you will either get burned out from doing nothing or get moved to 12s and get burned out on that.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Kandak Sayaqa posted:

Because that won't last forever. Maybe it'll end in a month or a year, but it'll end.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Kandak Sayaqa posted:

Because you just described my job as a contractor, except I haven't shaved in two weeks and there's zero chance I'll end up on a swingshift augmenting some poo poo job that can't manage its manning levels.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

lol if you're still in

I'm still in gently caress

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you

smertrioslol posted:

I'm still in gently caress

lol

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

:mad:

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
The guy who helped stop that French train killer got stabbed in Sacramento

http://www.airforcetimes.com/story/breaking-news/2015/10/08/airman-1st-class-spencer-stone-stabbed-chest/73578902/

Edit: they're saying it's "alcohol related". I guess even in the air force E-3s do stupid poo poo

Lazy Reservist
Nov 30, 2005

FUBIJAR

Scratch Monkey posted:

All E-3s do stupid poo poo

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

He needs to enjoy it while he can, he's getting promoted again soon.

Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008
Maybe he was trying to get TSgt.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
Maybe he's a stupid loving E3

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

So my "deployment" is winding down, and I need to start coordinating for a squadron job when I get back...

Truth is, UPT has 250+ lines a day. With no job, I fly 3-5 times a week. I really do not want a job when I get back. Compared to the RC-135, I flew 2-3 times a month with 5 other pilots on board.

Finally, I just got notification of my Majors board Accounting and PRF due dates. Because of this, leadership is going to give me a "high visibility" job when I get back for that Definitely Promote strat - we all know that means getting a lovely and less flying gig.

So again, job do not want. I wouldn't mind being passed over. By the time 18 months past notification of non selection comes, I will have been in ~11 years. It's been a fun ride, but I am over it.

Or they could promote me and get the worlds worst FGO.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Welcome to being an O-3. I hit 1,000 hours in a little over a year, and over the next 4 I failed to hit 2,000.

Lazy Reservist
Nov 30, 2005

FUBIJAR
Protip: Lying about a Purple Heart on Facebook could cost you your commission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

xaarman posted:

So my "deployment" is winding down, and I need to start coordinating for a squadron job when I get back...

Truth is, UPT has 250+ lines a day. With no job, I fly 3-5 times a week. I really do not want a job when I get back. Compared to the RC-135, I flew 2-3 times a month with 5 other pilots on board.

Finally, I just got notification of my Majors board Accounting and PRF due dates. Because of this, leadership is going to give me a "high visibility" job when I get back for that Definitely Promote strat - we all know that means getting a lovely and less flying gig.

So again, job do not want. I wouldn't mind being passed over. By the time 18 months past notification of non selection comes, I will have been in ~11 years. It's been a fun ride, but I am over it.

Or they could promote me and get the worlds worst FGO.

Time to start Chasing that Palace huh

Also I was hanging out in the squadron when news of Spencer Stone's Sacramento stabbing broke and I immediately congratulated the young man for participating in that proudest of Air Force traditions, getting drunk and fighting. I don't think the squadron commander thought I was being serious but I totally was, good on him and I wish we had more like him, willing to get drunk and fight for whatever reason

Anyway god bless

• Locked thread