Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Any info on the new Gwent cards in expansion? Will there be any rebalances of old ones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
Did they change loot rules in a patch? The way you all are talking about that island makes no sense to how I remember loot works. As I remember it, fancy chests had chances of recipes, high tier crafting stuff, and weapons that roughly match your level. So it doesn't matter if you get to that island and their sunken chests early or leave it until late game, the weapon loot there is adjusted to your level.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
I was there yesterday and out of 6 or 7 chests that are there, there was one recipe. Mostly good crafting stuff.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Is there some way to unlock all the potion recipes? Or just unlock them period? I hosed around too much with mods and now all my potions disappeared :(

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Broose posted:

Did they change loot rules in a patch? The way you all are talking about that island makes no sense to how I remember loot works. As I remember it, fancy chests had chances of recipes, high tier crafting stuff, and weapons that roughly match your level. So it doesn't matter if you get to that island and their sunken chests early or leave it until late game, the weapon loot there is adjusted to your level.
The sword there is adjusted for your level like other relic swords but it's by far the easiest relic sword to get at that level. All the other chests are guaranteed some variant of rare valuable crafting ingredient hard to get at that level, even though what it actually is is randomized.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
I'm replaying Witcher 1 at the moment and while the writing (translation?) is undoubtedly wonky, it's kind of a shame how much better the investigation quest in Witcher 1 is in terms of its setup than pretty much anything that came after in the series (especially the lousy serial killer investigation in Witcher 3).

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
That can only be done when they center an entire act around it. And while the quest itself was interesting Act 2 suffered a lot from the way it was structured.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
The Witcher Wild Hunt: Shove Dijkstra aside. Forcefully.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Dijkstra might be my favorite character in the series by a landslide.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Blacktoll posted:

Was still never gonna let him shiv Roche & Ves, though. That poo poo ain't gonna fly for MY Geralt.

Literally Esoteric
Jun 13, 2012

One final, furious struggle...then a howl of victory

Blacktoll posted:

I love how he never bears a grudge. Of course he'll do whatever horrid thing he thinks is most to his advantage at any given moment, and then expect you to get over it, but he'll sit down and have a beer with whoever tried to kill him a moment ago.
It's like he has a sociopath switch he can just turn on and off when he wants.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Literally Esoteric posted:

I love how he never bears a grudge. Of course he'll do whatever horrid thing he thinks is most to his advantage at any given moment, and then expect you to get over it, but he'll sit down and have a beer Djiikstra Dry with whoever tried to kill him a moment ago.

Fixed it for you.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

I love how he never bears a grudge. Of course he'll do whatever horrid thing he thinks is most to his advantage at any given moment, and then expect you to get over it, but he'll sit down and have a beer with whoever tried to kill him a moment ago.
He does hold grudges but he never actually acts on them because he considers doing so highly unprofessional. In this he is the opposite of Philippa.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

After getting the game at release and playing the crap out of all the side quests, etc I wound up running out of steam as I was nearing the end of the main "find Ciri" storyline. I wound up taking a break and not playing it for a few months. I picked it up again after hearing about the expansion and decided to just hit the main story hard to get there. Man, Battle for Kaer Morhen was freaking amazing. I'm now at the point where I'm doing the quests for Triss, the elf, Yen, and Ciri after they regrouped in Novigrad.

Am I getting close to the conclusion of the main storyline? Should I take the time now and just do all kinds of the side stuff or can I beat the game and then do it after? I've basically avoided almost all spoilers for the game since reading the reviews during release week, so apologies for not knowing how the ending sequence works. It's why I haven't gone back through the thread and looked. Thanks.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

After getting the game at release and playing the crap out of all the side quests, etc I wound up running out of steam as I was nearing the end of the main "find Ciri" storyline. I wound up taking a break and not playing it for a few months. I picked it up again after hearing about the expansion and decided to just hit the main story hard to get there. Man, Battle for Kaer Morhen was freaking amazing. I'm now at the point where I'm doing the quests for Triss, the elf, Yen, and Ciri after they regrouped in Novigrad.

Am I getting close to the conclusion of the main storyline? Should I take the time now and just do all kinds of the side stuff or can I beat the game and then do it after? I've basically avoided almost all spoilers for the game since reading the reviews during release week, so apologies for not knowing how the ending sequence works. It's why I haven't gone back through the thread and looked. Thanks.

You've basically just entered Act Three, which is still a large act, so you have more to do than you'd think, but you are generally approaching the point of no return. Which, don't worry, they'll be somewhat obvious about, so just make sure you're ready to go when everybody's like "Okay, this is it!". You can still play after the game ends, but that's only to wrap up side missions and whatnot, so anything having to do with major storylines or plot buddies, you'd better do before you beat it. Basically, if there's something you'd like to hear about in the epilogue, make sure you do it now. You've got the whole postgame to clear up any monster contracts and whatnot, though.

Crappy Jack fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Oct 2, 2015

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

You're pretty close to the end, yeah. Depending on your pace maybe 5ish hours on the main story stuff?

The point of no return for finishing side quests is Isle of Mists which you're already well past, so you can beat the game any time with no consequences. You can come back and finish everything after you beat it.

Crappy Jack posted:

You've basically just entered Act Three, which is still a large act, so you have more to do than you'd think. You can still play after the game ends, but that's only to wrap up side missions and whatnot, so anything having to do with major storylines or plot buddies, you'd better do before you beat it. Basically, if there's something you'd like to hear about in the epilogue, make sure you do it now. You've got the whole postgame to clear up any monster contracts and whatnot, though.

Pretty sure everything that comes back in the epilogue is based on interactions with Ciri and the quests that he's already had to wrap up before the Isle of the Mists point of no return.

For example, how you deal with Radovid, Dijkstra, and Roche is already concluded before Kaer Morhen.

No side quests he can do now will affect the epilogue.

Edit: romances, I guess. That would be the only other thing to conclude for the epilogue.

Things that impact ending/epilogue:
Interactions with Ciri
Determining fate of the North by how you handle Radovid, Dijkstra, Roche
Romance Yen or Triss (or neither :v:)

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Oct 2, 2015

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Pellisworth posted:

For example, how you deal with Radovid, Dijkstra, and Roche is already concluded before Kaer Morhen.
No, it isn't. You can do those quests after Kaer Morhen.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Thank you guys for the quick responses. The main story beats right now are pretty freaking incredible so I'm looking forward to just keep railroading it until the end, especially since nothing matters now. For what it's worth I only had like 2 or 3 quests fail when I did Isle of Mists, so hopefully that is a decent enough number where I didn't miss much. As I said, I had been trying to do most of the side quests as they came about.

The questing in this game really has been extraordinary throughout. They have been surprising, heartbreaking, thrilling, etc. Basically everything I'd want in a game like this.

I just finished the Radovid line and it was fantastic.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I just got to Skellige for the first time and it consistently impresses me how varied the quests are, tonally. I'm currently doing the Hjalmar quest and I love how unsettling and beautiful the abandoned island is all at once.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Finally finished the main story. I dunno, the actual finale lacks 'punch' as an event, but the quality of writing is so good, and the characters believable enough that I utterly loved it.

Funny that there's no real clean-up / post analysis on the Lodge. Does that get mentioned anywhere, given that Phillipa is already trying to dislodge Yen as leader even before the end?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Shockeh posted:

Finally finished the main story. I dunno, the actual finale lacks 'punch' as an event, but the quality of writing is so good, and the characters believable enough that I utterly loved it.

Funny that there's no real clean-up / post analysis on the Lodge. Does that get mentioned anywhere, given that Phillipa is already trying to dislodge Yen as leader even before the end?

There are some unused lines in the files that strongly suggest (endgame spoilers) Yennefer was pulling a ruse on the lodge about the deal with Nilfgaard. Definitely Philippa and possibly the others were going to get killed by Emhyr once everyone was resolved. As if anyone needed more reason to like Yennefer :mrgw:

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

No Mods No Masters posted:

There are some unused lines in the files that strongly suggest (endgame spoilers) Yennefer was pulling a ruse on the lodge about the deal with Nilfgaard. Definitely Philippa and possibly the others were going to get killed by Emhyr once everyone was resolved. As if anyone needed more reason to like Yennefer :mrgw:

I'm still not convinced by that line (that didn't make it into the game), how do you make sure that your plan to kill someone who has successfully not been killed for 300+ years is foolproof?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

pik_d posted:

I'm still not convinced by that line (that didn't make it into the game), how do you make sure that your plan to kill someone who has successfully not been killed for 300+ years is foolproof?

It's a fair point for sure, but bamboozling northern kingdoms hick people is one thing and Nilfgaard is another entirely. They always seemed to be in a class of their own on the killing sorceresses front so I think they can find a way :patriot:

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
I'm currently reading The Tower of the Swallow, and Bonhart is one mean motherfucker.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

pik_d posted:

Phillipa has been captured before. It isn't like shes invincible. Just keep throwing bodies with some dimeritium scattered around until she dies. Or use other mages. etc

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Geralt has been successfully not killed for almost 100 years and judging by his performance when I'm playing all it takes to kill him is two nekkers and accidentally putting booze instead of potions in the quickslot.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Yeah even a hugely powerful sorceress like Philippa can be taken out by a good blow to the head when she's not looking. And Nilfgaard has its own Imperial mage corps.

Shockeh posted:

Yennefer is not the leader of the Lodge. There's cut content where the "amnesty" was going to end with them all (except Triss)clapped in dimeritium, interrogated, and at least in Philippa's case executed. The dialogue is already recorded and everything. Given some of the other stuff that was apparently cut, I'm not sure if it was cut for time or because they wanted them open for possible sequels.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Maybe Dijkstra is just a guy who takes the shortest path between where he is and where he wants to be, regardless of other factors?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Sapkowski's joke names have gone too far.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

pmchem posted:

Maybe Dijkstra is just a guy who takes the shortest path between where he is and where he wants to be, regardless of other factors?

Speaking of that Dijkstra, how is that name pronounced for real? I don't understand why they say Deekstra in the game.

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

Fleet of foot, and all that!
DYKE-stra?

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Deek-stra.

Rhyming with 'Creek'.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

GrossMurpel posted:

Speaking of that Dijkstra, how is that name pronounced for real? I don't understand why they say Deekstra in the game.

just a silent j.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
One of the few things I actually do enjoy is that everything is dangerous unless you plan things out with due diligence.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

pik_d posted:

Well, you don't. But Emhyr is very good at killing his enemies.

Think about this: Emhyr is the only person you ever see Yennefer show any sort of deference to. Because he's basically the only person she's wary of.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
It's probably been talked about a lot but I pretty much went exclusively with signs on upgrades and its really is effective ( but I'm only on normal difficulty), setting down the purple zapping trap thing and tossing alt aard at groups is pretty effective.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

So I'm playing the original Witcher after having beaten 2 and 3, and.. oof.

Is it worth it? I kind of want to fill in the gaps of where all these characters came from and whatnot.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

How much impact does romance choices have on the rest of the game? Is it a few isolated scenes, bioware/bethesda style, or is it going to have larger impacts? I'm told that romancing Triss locks me out of romancing Yennefer later, and but I've gone another five or six hours beyond that.

edit: alternatively, is there any way of fudging a save?

Deformed Church fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Oct 3, 2015

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

man nurse posted:

Is it worth it? I kind of want to fill in the gaps of where all these characters came from and whatnot.

The story is really good, the game play has aged rather poorly. Feel free to turn on easy mode or cheat outrageously or whatever if you just want to see what's what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

man nurse posted:

If you're not at all into it by most of the way through Act 1 I'd skip it. Very little of that story has much to do with the rest of the game series, and it's not as good in the first place. Besides, this isn't where they originally came from. If you're that interested, read the books. The only one that gets any kind of vaguely new important characterization in TW1 is Triss.

That said I really liked it, it's just aged poorly.

MooCowlian posted:

How much impact does romance choices have on the rest of the game? Is it a few isolated scenes, bioware/bethesda style, or is it going to have larger impacts? I'm told that romancing Triss locks me out of romancing Yennefer later, and but I've gone another five or six hours beyond that.

edit: alternatively, is there any way of fudging a save?
It mostly changes the tone of existing scenes rather than adding entirely new ones, and obviously removes some stuff. Yennefer is more natural to the story and it shows but you'd have to reload an old save. It's not a huge deal though since most of the same story beats happen regardless, just now it's kind of awkward and pissy between Geralt and Yennefer.