Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
i dunno a ticket from fnland is pretty expensive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

uranus posted:

i dunno a ticket from fnland is pretty expensive

I live in the United States :confused:

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
i know, i was tryinng to make a funny joke

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
I went to flea market day at a temple in Japan and there were a bunch of old gigantic floor boards for like 30 bucks sittin around. Some of them were pretty rough though.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Uncle Jam posted:

I went to flea market day at a temple in Japan and there were a bunch of old gigantic floor boards for like 30 bucks sittin around. Some of them were pretty rough though.

I will pay you for these

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Lost against an "I'm going to fight everywhere gently caress you" 4k by 0.5 after capturing 20+ stones of his cause I became dumb and thought I could take more of his territory and died while doing so. But it's okay, I'll win anyways right? :v:

Then I beat a 6k on my main account who played the exact same style, but I wasn't scared of it. Kgs still hasn't ranked me up.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

AdorableStar posted:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231703085646

This is really enticing; I don't care about the wear and tear but GGG has the cheapest loving floor board up for $400 and this is kaya apparently?

Hey look I found my lovely rear end board on ebay too: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dark-Cherry-Veneer-0-6-Go-Table-Board-Goban-/361365443847?hash=item54230f1507

Isn't kaya supposed to be a lot lighter in color? Also, on one side of that there looks like there are cracks forming.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Like I said, I give no shits about cracks or wear and tear.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
a board should have some cracks from slamming down the stone that kills the corner with the combined force of all your past moves combined

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
also from regular use of the nuclear tesuji

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Alright check back with me in November.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

Uncle Jam posted:

I too would appreciate a skank rear end floor board, I will report back in november

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Uncle Jam posted:

How much do you think shipping is for those things? That one on ebay said $80

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

gently caress all yall that don't want to play r5 http://con-go.net/

Also shipping a table like that from Japan would be disgusting. I can only imagine how excited customs would be about some huge nasty old block of wood. It could wind up being $200-$300 by the time you're done loving around with brokerage, etc

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Under 15 posted:

gently caress all yall that don't want to play r5 http://con-go.net/

Also shipping a table like that from Japan would be disgusting. I can only imagine how excited customs would be about some huge nasty old block of wood. It could wind up being $200-$300 by the time you're done loving around with brokerage, etc

Just play F3 or R9.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

AdorableStar posted:

Just play F3 or R9.

nope, never play anything that lets your opponent complicate the situation. Hunker down and let them try in vain to make the game interesting.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Under 15 posted:

nope, never play anything that lets your opponent complicate the situation. Hunker down and let them try in vain to make the game interesting.

If you were going to play an enclosure like that originally, wouldn't it have made sense to make it facing upwards to the right rather than towards the bottom side of the board?

WuChou
Aug 28, 2002

Cosmic.
I voted R5 because my Kombilo database says it has the highest winning percentage for Black among the available moves at 50.3%, winning by .2% over R9. Games I have with F3 being played, Black wins less than half the time. (47.3%) I'm going to use this database for something useless goddammit.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
i'm going to play in my first tournament on saturday. oh god oh man OH GOD

what should i do to prepare?

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
i voted to pass on the con go server. lol

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
hey one of you sports fans who knows how to do such things should organize a fantasy go league where we can draft players and get points when they win or whatever. would be a fun way to encourage paying attention to pro games.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

This was tried in the chess thread and it kind of failed.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
well, since go is better than chess it follows that we can do everything else better too

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

uranus posted:

well, since go is better than chess it follows that we can do everything else better too

Makes sense.

What's a good blog or something that looks at pro games but goes into more detail than "this is bad because the shape is bad", i.e., is understandable for high ddk?

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
gogameguru has a lot of awesome game reviews with comments

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

uranus posted:

gogameguru has a lot of awesome game reviews with comments

Yeah that works, super awesome, thanks!

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
also dwyrin on youtube has a few pro game reviews that are very in depth if you want to watch an hour long video on a single game.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

silvergoose posted:

Makes sense.

What's a good blog or something that looks at pro games but goes into more detail than "this is bad because the shape is bad", i.e., is understandable for high ddk?

Does high ddk mean strong or weak? I hate using high/low in terms of kyu ranks because it's always confusing like that. Some people mean high like strong and some people mean high like 20k is higher than 11k

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

High as in the number is high, I'm moderately sure I'm somewhere in the 20's, I'm so bad at this game (because I don't play).

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

silvergoose posted:

High as in the number is high, I'm moderately sure I'm somewhere in the 20's, I'm so bad at this game (because I don't play).

Don't worry; I don't play either.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

silvergoose posted:

(because I don't play).

that is key

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

uranus posted:

that is key

Oh I know. I don't have time, and the only times I've played in person either I'm playing a 5k or something (and get completely destroyed with 9 stones handicap) or I'm playing a rank novice (even moreso than me) and I crush them in detail.

I should really play online. But then it's hard to find anyone playing at that level, usually, it just waits for opponents forever.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

silvergoose posted:

Oh I know. I don't have time, and the only times I've played in person either I'm playing a 5k or something (and get completely destroyed with 9 stones handicap) or I'm playing a rank novice (even moreso than me) and I crush them in detail.

I should really play online. But then it's hard to find anyone playing at that level, usually, it just waits for opponents forever.

I would lose to you at 9H.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

silvergoose posted:

if you dont have a lot of time, try playing correspondance games on ogs. not as fun as a live game, but at least you can be playing something. i usually have 15 or so games going at all times, and check on my phone whenever i have a few minutes to play a move or two.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
and there are plenty of~20k people there to play

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Probably a good idea; my Through the Ages games have been slowing down a lot, so maybe I have time for a couple games of go.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

uranus posted:

and there are plenty of~20k people there to play

I doubt that's like kgs 20k.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
shape up! for beginners

http://www.badukworld.co.kr/biz/lesson2/shape/shape.html

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Dang. Looks like a good read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

uranus posted:

hey one of you sports fans who knows how to do such things should organize a fantasy go league where we can draft players and get points when they win or whatever. would be a fun way to encourage paying attention to pro games.

I would do this for Korean League on Tygem. There's enough players that it would work I think