Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Squashy Nipples posted:

I bought some nice fat pablanos, going to burn, bag, peel and stuff them for dinner.

Any suggestions for unique, vegetarian fillings?

Quinoa, wild mushrooms, onion, garlic, lime zest and dark chile powder. Add oaxaca cheese if you do cheese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Ring molds are pretty passe at this point and that disc of whatever (watermelon?) looks ridiculous.

My plates are mostly all just a pile too though but in general my philosophy is that you shouldn't look at a plate and think about how long someone spent touching it.

Pile of food:

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Oct 1, 2015

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

I see a lot of people using ring molds not to build food, but as a barrier to shave stuff onto a plate in a perfect circle/square/triangle/etc.

Also, that plate is definitely pile-y

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Mine pretty much all are like i said. The description of my instagram is "they're all the same only different"

Here's one that is less of a pile, but also I don't like very much:

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Oct 1, 2015

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

pile of brown posted:

my philosophy is that you shouldn't look at a plate and think about how long someone spent touching it.

Yeah, this is exactly why I don't like "over-plated" plates.

BTW, your pics aren't coming through on my screen.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Squashy Nipples posted:

Yeah, this is exactly why I don't like "over-plated" plates.

BTW, your pics aren't coming through on my screen.

I don't really get how imgur app works and it has no buttons or menus but when I click on them they show up.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

pile of brown posted:

Here's one that is less of a pile, but also I don't like very much:

The color of that scallop sauce bothers me. If it were a uniform highlighter green, it would contrast with the beef's sauce very well.

I pile things as well though

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

The color of that scallop sauce bothers me. If it were a uniform highlighter green, it would contrast with the beef's sauce very well.

It's a grilled pineapple sauce with a lot of garlic in it and pineapple doesn't get smooth that well. The color is not ideal but I don't think I'd want a smoother texture for that anyways.

Also re ring molds I literally banned people from using them without specific permission at my last job and at my new job we don't have any anyways. One of the first things they did after i was gone from old job was to put a ring molded ahi tartare on the menu :cripes:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

how would you serve something like a tartare then?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

spankmeister posted:

Cube mold

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Squashy Nipples posted:

I bought some nice fat pablanos, going to burn, bag, peel and stuff them for dinner.

Any suggestions for unique, vegetarian fillings?

Mushrooms, onion, walnuts, hoja Santa.

Crema on top.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
In a way so it isn't reminiscent of something shaken out of a can of cat food.

This is a steak tartare but the ahi pic I was looking for is on an old phone. This is beef w zinfandel-macerated blackberries over a foie panna cotta with juniper foam. I'm not in love with how the foam looks but the flavor was really good. It was from a time when chef got super into molecular gastronomy about 5 years late. It's entirely my dish though so I can't blame anyone else.

See also: sweet stack of butter dishes in the background

Edit: for some reason this pic automatically displays. I don't know why.

More edit: going through old pics here's a plate a liked a lot but it's still a pile:

Grilled lamb tbones over garlic rosemary mashers with roasted golden beets and brussels, and the sauce is a reduction of red beet juice and syrah.

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Oct 1, 2015

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

spankmeister posted:

However you want. Last time I did a tartare special I built it in a triangle mold, semi-froze it and sliced into 4 inch pieces. Once it thawed the Dijon and egg yolk were enough to hold the shape. Blowin' minds in FoH though.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Blowin' minds in FoH though.

Things I have done to blow foh's minds:
-make half and half

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Earlier this week, I am finally the owner of a propane grill. It is made by Charbroil under the Thermos brand, it is probably a piece of poo poo and I don't care because it was $30 on craigslist within walking distance of my house. Previous owner claims to be the second owner, this grill came in pieces and whoever assembled it put it together backwards, it has a support wire that is half in the way of where the gas hose connects to the propane bottle. Previous owner also state the electronic ignition was not working, I unscrewed the button and it had no battery. That got the side burner going, I then removed the flame tents and watched it spark the side of the burner but the electrode was too high. I applied a little pressure by hand and the ignition now works flawlessly, I guess this means I care more about this grill than the PO. Grates were crusted in a ton of poo poo but after a good brush they don't look too bad, they are cheap ceramic. One grate has a rust spot but I have not noticed flaws on the others yet.

My parents never had a grill when I was growing up, I don't know a drat thing about how to use this. I know the basic plug in the hose and turn the knobs stuff but other then that I have no idea what I am doing. I am currently storing the grill in my garage (don't worry, I will wheel it out before lighting), the manual seems to suggest that storing a propane bottle indoors is a bad idea. The bottle looks to be in good condition and I plan to use an exchange instead of refill service (I am honestly not even sure how any of that works) so I assume the bottle will be in good, leak free condition. Am I going to explode? I disconnect the bottle when not in use, I am just a little paranoid one of the neighborhood hooligans might attempt to steal the bottle if I leave it outside, I don't really have a safe spot.

Once I purchase a fine slab of beef, what do I do? The manual says heat on high for 15min, and then cook to 145F. What temperature should the grill be at? How long, like how many minutes per inch/pound? Besides steaks, what can I cook that won't take 24 hours? Is a swing away rack a good idea? I am really tempted to get a rotisserie since I love rotisserie chicken but I honestly don't know what else I might want to rotisserie.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
145f is too much, don't do that. Heat the grill on high and cook for a couple minutes per side, depending on thickness of steak. If you have an instant thermometer (a good idea) use that, if not poke it with your finger while it cooks. When it is ready to come off the grill it should still be squishy, but not so much that it feels like you could push through it. Let it sit on a plate/cutting board for 5 minutes before you eat it. There's a whole steak thread if you want to read lots more and in more detail but these are the basics.

It says not to keep the propane indoors as a CYA measure and if your garage gets super hot it MIGHT be a problem but a propane tank in good condition should be able to be safely stored anywhere not adjacent to a furnace.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Hey guys, quick question: Is there such a thing as a sandwich that has both rice and pasta in it?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Nope

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

The Bananana posted:

Hey guys, quick question: Is there such a thing as a sandwich that has both rice and pasta in it?

If you dream hard enough....

Make a sandwich with a fried rice cake as one bread and a fried noodle cake as the other bread

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
Nothing stopping you making say an Arancini and Ravioli Sub. Or a Jambalaya Tortellini Panini.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Mushrooms, onion, walnuts, hoja Santa.

Crema on top.

Great suggestions, guys, thanks.
But I ended up working longer then I thought, so I didn't have time to hit the market, and this ended up being more of a "clean out the fridge" sort of meal.

Also, Mrs. Squashy was ravenous when she got home from work, so just a phone pic, no fancy camera:

The base is: left over brown rice, chopped black olives, chopped tomatoes, some sambal, fresh garlic and spices cooked in ghee. Then I cubed some tofu and dry fried it with some chili powder and taco spices. Stuffed it all in with some shredded cheddar and baked it for 10 minutes.

Was freaking perfect! Poblanos have the best texture for doing this. Note for self: let the peppers sit out and warm up before you burn them. These were cold from the fridge when I burned them, so there were a few spots where the skin didn't come cleanly off.

Squashy Nipples fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Oct 2, 2015

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
My roast chicken turned out well enough, but left me with a couple questions going forward-

--Is there a good guide for carving up a bird properly? We eventually got most of the meat off but at one point we were just ripping it apart like Neanderthals. I took the wishbone out prior to cooking but I still hit a few parts that I couldn't cut, but maybe that's because my knife is not so great.

--I have an inkling of making stock with the carcass. Is there anything more to it that just boiling the leftover bones and collecting the liquid? Other advice on that end?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

C-Euro posted:

My roast chicken turned out well enough, but left me with a couple questions going forward-

--Is there a good guide for carving up a bird properly? We eventually got most of the meat off but at one point we were just ripping it apart like Neanderthals. I took the wishbone out prior to cooking but I still hit a few parts that I couldn't cut, but maybe that's because my knife is not so great.

--I have an inkling of making stock with the carcass. Is there anything more to it that just boiling the leftover bones and collecting the liquid? Other advice on that end?

I always meant to make a "how to break down a bird in a minute" video. There's a keel bone in the center of the chest, cut along that, then turn your knife on it's side, slice along the chest cavity. When you get to the edge of the breast, make a cut by the drumette, and cut down toward the thigh. You can take the brease off at this point. For the thigh, you want to place your thumb on the ball joint and press with your thumb and pull out with your other fingers, popping it out of place, and allowing you to get a knife behind there, make sure you get the oyster, it's right below that ball joint. You can seperate the drumstcik from the thigh by feeling for the knee joint, there will ber a bit that sinks in, cut there. Wings work the same way.

As for stock, use the bones, an onion, a carrot, 2 stalks of celery, a head of garlic, 3-4 bay leaves, and black peppercorns. Bring to a low simmer, skim the scum off the top, and simmer at least 4 hours, but up to 1 day. If going for 1 day, put a lid on your stock pot. Aim for 2 inches of water above the carcass in your stockpot. Ideally, make stock with 2+ carcasses.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

It takes some practice. Even following the above advice, it's gonna be pretty caveman the first few times.

Carcasses freeze just fine, so if you don't have two yet, just bag it up and stash it in the freezer.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Squashy Nipples posted:

It takes some practice. Even following the above advice, it's gonna be pretty caveman the first few times.

Yeah, it's all about feel. I wasn't really good at breaking down chickens until I started doing 300lbs of WOGs a month. Now I can give Martin Yan a run for his money!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

C-Euro posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHmyAoY-HrA

That one is more for fun. If you're dealing with one after cooking it's a bit easier. Main thing is learning how to articulate the joints to cut around them easily and as mentioned cutting down the breastbone properly. If you do it 3-4 times with a decent knife you'll get the hang of it.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

As for stock, use the bones, an onion, a carrot, 2 stalks of celery, a head of garlic, 3-4 bay leaves, and black peppercorns. Bring to a low simmer, skim the scum off the top, and simmer at least 4 hours, but up to 1 day. If going for 1 day, put a lid on your stock pot. Aim for 2 inches of water above the carcass in your stockpot. Ideally, make stock with 2+ carcasses.

I don't have a pot large enough for two :( (it's not a designated stock pot). I need to re-stock on veggies though so I might freeze it for now, thanks.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I do the same but get a nice flavor adding just a little bit of cider vinegar or a couple squeezes from a lemon half in there. I heard that a little bit of acid helped the collagen break down better as it boiled as well. Is that true?

Anyway, I found I liked my stock better with that, especially a bit of lemon juice.

C-Euro do you have a pressure cooker? Also not a bad way to make stock and reduce afterwards.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Squashy Nipples posted:

Was freaking perfect! Poblanos have the best texture for doing this. Note for self: let the peppers sit out and warm up before you burn them. These were cold from the fridge when I burned them, so there were a few spots where the skin didn't come cleanly off.

You steamed after blistering, right?

Looks good, though. A proper supper.

Mr. Wiggles fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Oct 2, 2015

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

That Works posted:

I do the same but get a nice flavor adding just a little bit of cider vinegar or a couple squeezes from a lemon half in there. I heard that a little bit of acid helped the collagen break down better as it boiled as well. Is that true?

Anyway, I found I liked my stock better with that, especially a bit of lemon juice.

C-Euro do you have a pressure cooker? Also not a bad way to make stock and reduce afterwards.

Acidity does do Things(TM) to collagen, but that's things like papain and bromelain.

I am okay with lemon and orange halves in your stock, but it will limit your applications.(no ghetto demi, where you add a splash of molasses to make it "beefy")

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Basic stock is way better, as CdC says, because you can use it in anything.

Also, you don't need two carcasses to make perfectly good stock, you just make less of it.

Take your chicken, break as many long bones as you can with the back of a knife. While your snapping bones and stripping any leftover meat off for sandwiches, fry mirepoix in some of the chicken fat that is stuck to the bottom of the body. Throw the bones in and fry for a bit more, then just cover in boiling water from the kettle. Add black peppercorns and bay leaves and a bit of garlic. Simmer with the lid on for as long as you can then strain out the solids. Put the liquid back in the pan with the lid off and simmer until reduced as much as possible, so you can have super concentrated stock. Pour into an ice cube tray and freeze.

Next time you want chickeny flavour or umami, pop out a stock cube.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Mr. Wiggles posted:

You steamed after blistering, right?

Looks good, though. A proper supper.

Yep, blister, then into a gallon zip lock, wrapped in a towel, and let sit for 30-40 minutes. I've done this before, but I usually right after I bought the peppers. The peppers sat in the fridge for a few days this time, so I didn't think to take them out and let them warm up first.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Weird, that's never been a thing for me, even after I've gone straight from cold. Maybe you just got exceptionally tough peppers.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Does anyone have a good pot roast recipe? I picked up a small chuck roast on sale but I've never made pot roast before.

My thought was brown roast on all sides in dutch oven, remove roast, saute onion, deglaze with beef stock/red wine, return meat with chopped carrots, potato (and maybe turnip, parsnip or rutabaga) add liquid to come up about 2/3 of the way and cook in a low temp oven for a few hours.

I know I'm missing some stuff here. My brain says that I should maybe add a bay leaf, thyme and some Worcestershire, but there might be more things I'm missing.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Celery in with the veg.

Bay leaf, thyme and Worcestershire sauce is definitely a good idea.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

My son has insisted on corguettes (zucchini) with dinner tonight. Anyone got any really good ways to prepare them that aren't excessively labour intensive?

We're having roast chicken.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Medium dice, toss in S&P, oil, and minced garlic, roast at 425 for 8-12min. High heat is key with squash/zucchini because otherwise it'll start to sweat and then just end up braised instead of roasted.

You can also cut panels from the sides and only use the flesh that has no seeds.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Don't worry, Maangchi has you covered!

http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/hobakjeon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTiqBDd1eZE

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

I also have no loving clue why:

1) does maangchi have ridiculous blonde pin-up model hair
2) is the ghostbusters theme playing whenever she cooks something
3) wait what the gently caress she has wings too

Uh please trust me the food she makes all owns and she's only crazy sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
I have some goat shoulder. Anyone got anything that isn't Goat Curry, Curry Goat or Carnitas?