Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Reminds me vaguely of this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Volcott posted:

The death penalty is cool and good (when you are 100% sure the guy did the thing) and I am still pretty salty that Connecticut did away with it before we could kill those two guys from the In Cold Blood re-enactment society.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheshire,_Connecticut,_home_invasion_murders

what if you're 100% sure he did it, but he's white?

or what if you're 0% sure he did it, but the guy who actually 100% for sure did it told the cops somebody else paid him to do it?

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

TenementFunster posted:

what if you're 100% sure he did it, but he's white?

or what if you're 0% sure he did it, but the guy who actually 100% for sure did it told the cops somebody else paid him to do it?

Kill the first guy, don't kill the second guy. Don't permit plea deals in capital murder cases. That is my personal recommendation.

Hooded Reptile
Aug 31, 2015

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

We could just not kill anyone because vengeance doesn't bring back the lives that were lost.

It's also cheaper to just keep them in jail.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Sep 30, 2015

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Thump! posted:

We could just not kill anyone because vengeance doesn't bring back the lives that were lost.

I was unaware that the reason for the death penalty was simple revenge.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Stultus Maximus posted:

Yeah, it's still dishonest as gently caress though.

Congressional Republicans have the same statisticians!

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

pillsburysoldier posted:

Also, 2006 is when Gardasil was approved in the US.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

pillsburysoldier posted:

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Volcott posted:

The death penalty is cool and good (when you are 100% sure the guy did the thing) and I am still pretty salty that Connecticut did away with it before we could kill those two guys from the In Cold Blood re-enactment society.
The problem is nobody has yet devised a justice system that identifies guilt accurately 100% of the time.

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

spacetoaster posted:

I was unaware that the reason for the death penalty was simple revenge.

Being pro capital punishment is 90% about a broken legal system and being an emotionally stunted dumbfuck, I agree

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

Today is the fiftieth anniversary of the failed Indonesian coup attempt by the 30 September Movement. The coup was quickly suppressed by loyalist military units but not before several high ranking generals were assassinated. The Communist wing of the government was made the scapegoat and in the ensuing reprisals, over half a million people were killed without a trial. Current Indonesian president Joko Widodo was expected to make a formal apology but that hasn't happened and probably won't.

Looking at the #G30SPKI hashtag on Twitter, the effects of 50 years of propaganda by the Suharto regime is clear. Many tweets are commemorating the assassinated generals, killed by the bloodthirsty savage commies. The ensuing wholeslaughter slaughter of communists is barely mentioned on the other hand. The tweets are often accompanied by #MelawanLupa, or Never Forget.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May
Letter from the pope's office to Mary Fallin requesting that she commute Richard Glossip's death penalty. She'll say no, since she doesn't actually have the power to commute sentences (although she has the authority to issue a 60 day stay. :cripes:)

edit: and it looks like Richard Branson has taken out a full-page ad in The Oklahoman today encouraging Oklahomans to contact Fallin's office and request a stay.

Kro-Bar fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Sep 30, 2015

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Fragrag posted:

Today is the fiftieth anniversary of the failed Indonesian coup attempt by the 30 September Movement. The coup was quickly suppressed by loyalist military units but not before several high ranking generals were assassinated. The Communist wing of the government was made the scapegoat and in the ensuing reprisals, over half a million people were killed without a trial. Current Indonesian president Joko Widodo was expected to make a formal apology but that hasn't happened and probably won't.

Looking at the #G30SPKI hashtag on Twitter, the effects of 50 years of propaganda by the Suharto regime is clear. Many tweets are commemorating the assassinated generals, killed by the bloodthirsty savage commies. The ensuing wholeslaughter slaughter of communists is barely mentioned on the other hand. The tweets are often accompanied by #MelawanLupa, or Never Forget.

The Act of Killing is a great 2012 documentary covering some of the fallout and reprisals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQhIRBxbchU

There are several :stare: moments. DnD as gently caress. It's on US Netflix.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
I'm not even a Catholic, but if the Pope asked me to do him a favor I'd probably do that thing.

The Episcopal Church welcomes spiders.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

kelvron posted:

The Act of Killing is a great 2012 documentary covering some of the fallout and reprisals.

My grandfather was a political prisoner and was exiled to a remote Indonesian island for fifteen years, so I have a rather vested interest in these events. I'm not kidding when I say that I sometimes had to take a break from the documentary. I still can't stomach to watch the ending.

In the eighties, the Suharto government commissioned a three hour movie featuring their official version of the events called Pengkhianatan G30S/PKI or The Treachery of the 30 September Movement/Communist Party. This movie was broadcast on national television every year, and was required viewing at schools.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddYExsNtX6w

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
#feelthebern

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

kelvron posted:

There was a sequel as well, called The Look of Silence, which takes the opposite viewpoint and talks to a man whose brother was one of the victims of the purge. Sadly it's not on Netflix and I haven't seen it, but I'll happily second your recommendation of The Act of Killing for anyone looking for a depressing and horrifying documentary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fa2x1iJJ7W0

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

http://gawker.com/hillary-joked-about-chinese-hackers-over-unsecured-priv-1733874175

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3r51QI4Ctw

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Ibogaine
Aug 11, 2015

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Bernie knows what's up with the scene.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

We have a race of blue people now? What will science do next!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

spacetoaster posted:

We have a race of blue people now? What will science do next!
Usually the science that does it is quack science.

I think the macro is saying "if you're mad at Black Lives Matter because "all lives matter" but you post Blue Lives Matter memes or don't get mad at them, you're a hypocrite."

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

"Genious"

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

secret society of the tiny ATV razor users

Edit:

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Oct 1, 2015

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I want so much for this to be real. The rise of the neckbeards.

E: For Political Content

Proust Malone fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Oct 1, 2015

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

"These people celebrate something. Maybe the German independence day?"
Joni S. from Eritrea, 23, in Germany for six weeks

"They drink something. It's not orange juice!"
Elahe P., 30, Iran, three years in Germany

"A powerful man is celebrating. The one on the right. He's got many medals. Maybe a general. The other people could be his guests."
Abraham M., Eritrea, 25, six weeks in Germany

"Are they all kings?"
Fariba A., 37, from Afghanistan, two years in Germany

"They look like English people. Could be the Queen."
Ola A., 32, Nigeria, ten days in Germany

"The woman in the middle might be Elisabeth of England?"
Abdullateef D., 32, Syria, five months

"I think it's the Dutch Queen."
Hussen H., 35, Syria, five months

"They celebrate something. Looks strange somehow."
Talat K., 29, Syria, 22 days

"It's a traditional festivity. The jackets of these men: Could they be generals?"
Asmaa A., 46, Syria, one and a half month

"That's not our style."
Rita Al H., 47, Syria, two months

"That's what women wear in Europe. I accept it, because they should accept me, too. For them it should be ok if others wear a hijab."
Asmaa A., 46, Syria, one and a half months

"I would want my wife to dress herself differently. But when I as a muslim come to another country, I have to accept it."
Ahmad Ali B., 20, Syria, one and a half months

"Oh, lovely! Of course you won't see that in Syria. But it looks good."
Abdul R., 23, Syria, ten days

"You can see a whole lot. But it's ok for me. After all, Germany is a democracy."
Edris O., 18, Afghanistan, 15 days

(part of the Berlin wall)

"Two people riding their bikes. On a street. I can't see anything else."
John C., 20, Eritrea, two weeks

"What am I supposed to see here? A street, yes ... a very good street, without potholes. I don't know, is there something particular?"
Abdul R., 23, Syria, ten days

"A high wall. In Afghanistan it looks like this everywhere. It's a protection for the house or for the factory."
Fariba A., 37, Afghanistan, two years

"That was the wall in Berlin. Between East Germany and West Germany."
Hussein H., 35, Syria, five months

(Goethe)

"Could be a Jew."
Edris O. 18, Afghanistan, 15 days

"A former chancellor? Or a mayor? I'm sure it's an important man, because else there would be no oil painting of him."
Fevzi B., Kosovo, seven months

"Could be Lincoln. Or Faraday."
Ola A., 32, Nigeria, ten days

"Shakespeare?"
Abdullateef D., 32, Syria, five months

"This man was probably a lawyer. He's wearing this black jacket. It's "jacket", right?"
Fariba A., 37, Afghanistan, two years

"Goethe! I like him, a wonderful man. There is this institute everywhere, named after him: Goethe-Institut. We have one in Syria, too. You can learn German there."
Asmaa A., 46, Syria, 1.5 months

("Our measure against asylum abuse: Deport, Deport, Deport")

"It's people protesting on a street. What's up with it?"
Edris O., 18., Afghanistan, 15 days

"Is it a demonstration for freedom? In Eritrea protesting is dangerous."
John C., 20, Eritrea, two weeks

"They think we want to take something away from them, they're afraid. They don't know anything about the reasons for us being here."
Rita Al H., 47, Syria, two months

"They're prejudiced. We should talk with them, help them change their opinion."
Asmaa A., 46, Syria, 1.5 months

"These people infuriate me, they think they are better than others. Currently the European countries are the giants - but what happens if there is a crisis in Europe one day? Maybe these people have to flee to Africa, then."
Ola A., 32, Nigeria, ten days

"They're Nazis. I've heard they beat you. You have to run away when you see these people."
Mohammed J., 36, Ghana, six months

[from zeit.de]

Honj Steak fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Oct 1, 2015

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I should have put more of a description with this video:

it's glorious :allears:

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

If the purpose of this article is to make me proud of America's immigrant tradition and hate Donald Trump even more, mission accomplished.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

This is great! A way to humanise the refugees so it's harder for people to otherise them and turn them into yet another statistic that they can ignore. We need more outlets willing to give them a voice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Eschers Basement posted:

If the purpose of this article is to make me proud of America's immigrant tradition and hate Donald Trump even more, mission accomplished.

Yes, what this article from a German news outlet about refugees in Germany really is about is US domestic politics :911:

Thousands of life-saving vests brought by refugees crossing the Mediterranean piled up to a massive mountain on the Greek island of Lesbos. It reminds me a bit of this:

The "Hill of Crosses" in Lithuania where pilgrims have brought crosses and rosaries with them for at least 180 years as a sign of their faith and in passive resistance to the Russians which had occupied the land for most of that time.

• Locked thread