Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Nobody cares how much extra you do when all you do is bitch and moan about having to do it. Shut up. Go the gently caress home, the world will keep turning if dishes don't get delivered on time because you personally didn't make sure they made it.

Plates of food are more important to you than being happy, dude. Think about it. THAT is industry.whateverthefuck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
God what an rear end in a top hat this guy is for picking up the slack and then afterwards pointing out that he shouldn't have to

gently caress off guy

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Nobody cares after the fact. Nobody cares when it's not your fault and your only solution is to blame everyone but yourself. Stop picking up the slack and stop being a restaurant martyr.

Just gently caress off to something that will make you happy. You matter, your restaurant does not. Your priorities are wildly out of proportion here and you're not looking good for it. They'll remember you talking poo poo more than you working hard. I'm on your side in this. You're getting hosed, so stop it and be happy.

edit: When your only viewpoint is "nobody can do this like I can, I have to do it all" you're either working in a hellish nightmare and should run away, or you're a piece of poo poo and wrong and everyone wants you to run away. It's literally that simple.

fizzymercury fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Oct 1, 2015

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
He's right though. If you shouldn't have to pick up the slack, don't. I don't promote people who constantly let me know they're doing their job better than they have to.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

He's right though. If you shouldn't have to pick up the slack, don't. I don't promote people who constantly let me know they're doing their job better than they have to.

It was approximately the second time in a month I said anything. You guys have a weird definition of constantly

Also lol at getting promoted at this place even if I wasn't moving

This place is poo poo

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

fizzymercy posted:

Nobody cares after the fact. Nobody cares when it's not your fault and your only solution is to blame everyone but yourself. Stop picking up the slack and stop being a restaurant martyr.

Just gently caress off to something that will make you happy. You matter, your restaurant does not. Your priorities are wildly out of proportion here and you're not looking good for it. They'll remember you talking poo poo more than you working hard. I'm on your side in this. You're getting hosed, so stop it and be happy.

edit: When your only viewpoint is "nobody can do this like I can, I have to do it all" you're either working in a hellish nightmare and should run away, or you're a piece of poo poo and wrong and everyone wants you to run away. It's literally that simple.

That's not my viewpoint is the thing. It's not nobody can do it like me, it's "this person won't do it at all".

And yeah I'm walking after this shift, once I pick up my tip out from earlier in the week. It's not worth the extra hundred bucks

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
If there's anything I've learned in the industry it's that nobody gives a poo poo and if you knew what you were talking about you would already be in charge.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
They keep putting me in charge with bad help and then blaming me when the bad help performs badly vOv

Whatever. I got two more hours

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
You're the one in charge and you're blaming the "bad help". LOL you're just stupid as a brick then.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

fizzymercy posted:

You're the one in charge and you're blaming the "bad help". LOL you're just stupid as a brick then.

Yes I do blame other people for not doing their jobs, crazy concept I know

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Literally The Worst posted:

Yes I do blame other people for not doing their jobs, crazy concept I know

If you're 'in charge' and your staff underperforms, it's your fault. When I come in and someone says PM Line didn't do X, I don't say "Fuckin' John man, guy's lazy." I tell John that night "Hey motherfucker, you didn't do this thing, you need to make sure that poo poo gets done before you leave, or we'll start doing writeups."

If you aren't a manager, do not let other managers put you 'in charge'. It's not your job, don't do it.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Goodwill smoke smells terrible.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I know everyone is dog piling on him because they're tired of him making the same complaining post over and over, but I have had multiple jobs where I was assigned responsibility but not authority and it's the most frustrating thing in the world, especially if you care about your performance.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

If you're 'in charge' and your staff underperforms, it's your fault. When I come in and someone says PM Line didn't do X, I don't say "Fuckin' John man, guy's lazy." I tell John that night "Hey motherfucker, you didn't do this thing, you need to make sure that poo poo gets done before you leave, or we'll start doing writeups."

If you aren't a manager, do not let other managers put you 'in charge'. It's not your job, don't do it.

I agree with you but sometimes it's:

"Hey, I wrote up John last week and the week before, he keeps loving up, what are you going to do about this?"

"No, what are you going to do about it? It's your job to keep John in line!"

"I wrote him up! I told him off! You're the one who can fire people!"

"It sounds like you can't keep your subordinates in line, you better shape up Chef De Cuisinart!"

The correct answer is to find employment under people who are not cowards and actually trust you enough to listen to you.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

pile of brown posted:

I know everyone is dog piling on him because they're tired of him making the same complaining post over and over, but I have had multiple jobs where I was assigned responsibility but not authority and it's the most frustrating thing in the world, especially if you care about your performance.

I used to be in that position. It was clear to me that the management there didn't realize how much I'd improved since day 1. so they'd give me responsibility, but no promotion. So I left.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I agree with you but sometimes it's:

"Hey, I wrote up John last week and the week before, he keeps loving up, what are you going to do about this?"

"No, what are you going to do about it? It's your job to keep John in line!"

"I wrote him up! I told him off! You're the one who can fire people!"

"It sounds like you can't keep your subordinates in line, you better shape up Chef De Cuisinart!"

The correct answer is to find employment under people who are not cowards and actually trust you enough to listen to you.

Yeah, but if I write someone up 3 times they're fired, no ifs, ands, or buts.

And that last bit is 100% correct.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
but he is leaving

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I'm not saying it's a good way to run an organization or anything but the last place I was a manager I had employees with double digit counts on writeups but the only person who was actually allowed to fire anyone was the director of HR.

One of my jobs was verifying time sheets which is the most mind numbing thing and I had an employee who was late EVERY.SINGLE.DAY of the pay period... didn't get fired. I wrote an employee up for handing out prescription drugs to other employees during work... didn't get fired. Somehow I got fired for having a bad attitude though so who knows, maybe I'm just bad and wrong about everything.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

pile of brown posted:

This

When I expo I'm "in charge" of the runners, but I have no actual authority. When anyone who isn't an actual manager does it, actually, that's how it works. You're responsible for making sure the food is played and up in a timely fashion and for making sure you don't have sold meals piling up, but if your runners, for example, avoid running food, you look like an rear end in a top hat who can't stay on top of things because the window is filing up with no actual way to fix the problem, namely, that people are being lazy as gently caress, because you aren't in a position of authority

And when I did complain to someone who could do something about it, Comrade literally said "if you don't have anything nice to say"

So gently caress 'em. I busted my rear end for them, and al I got was poo poo on. I got an hour on the clock and I'm dragging rear end the whole way

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

pile of brown posted:

Yep. It's a common rear end in a top hat management strategy. They make you "in charge" for the sake of finding a scapegoat for something gone wrong, but not "in charge" enough to fix the problems.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Yeah, any job that tries to give you responsibility without accompanying authority is not a job you want to do.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

CommonShore posted:

Yep. It's a common rear end in a top hat management strategy. They make you "in charge" for the sake of finding a scapegoat for something gone wrong, but not "in charge" enough to fix the problems.

Picking up the slack is bad enough, but this is a terrible extreme, and in my experience the scapegoats are usually the hardest working employees. The first solution any bad manager thinks of when employees are underperforming is to put the load on someone who will carry it, and in the short term this works but it doesn't take very long for the good employees in this situation to get burned out, frustrated, etc. and when that begins to show it's suddenly an Apocalyptic Attitude Issue and wah wah wah.

If a bad employee walks in and does a bad job, mgmt doesn't care because it's business as usual and if they did care they'd have dealt with the issue when it first came up; if a good employee comes in and has a bad day, stop the presses and open the silo doors because this is unacceptable.

I understand that no one wants to read the same complaining posts over and over, but I get where LTW is coming from because it's very easy to keep hoping that things will get better, and sometimes difficult to find a new job that matches the pay. Not to say pay is everything, but when changing jobs means a definite pay cut, "better the devil you know" is definitely hard to avoid considering.

Of course, you can always find an extra PT job and (openly or subtly) use that for leverage, but you'd better be ready to hit the ground running if it backfires on you. I'm 2/2 so far and with that kind of luck I'm tempted to start playing the state lottery.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
All of that, and I'm moving in a couple weeks anyway, so yolo bitches, I'm free and I'm never going back until I can't find another job.

The rear end in a top hat manager spent the shift pressuring me to work Friday, and then when I quit he kept pressuring me to tell him why, but I refused because I've heard enough stories about him filing charges for harassment because someone quit and called him an rear end in a top hat, so instead i just looked at the ceiling like I was thinking and then just went "nah" and left.

edit the last thing he said to me before I quit was "It's just gonna be a headache finding someone for tomorrow night" and his face when I told him to find coverage for Saturday adn Sunday while he was at it was priceless

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 1, 2015

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Last night I told a dude we weren't going to serve him another drink. The reasons why I was wrong in making that decision were:

1) He has only had two.
2) He is dining with the Vice Mayor of a nearby city.
3) My bartender is probably drunk.
4) He is from a city an hour south of here.
5) He is a sheriff's deputy.
6) I am racist.
7) Here is his ID, look at it.
8) He is going to call 2 local news stations.
9) He is the chief of an Indian tribe.
10) He is not, in fact, bothering the other customers by yelling at me and asking their opinions of the situation.
11) I'm probably drunk.
12) When the police arrive they're going to breathalyze all of the restaurant staff.

It was a fun 20 minutes.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
My restaurant's policy is that for the last 15 minutes we're take out only. Last night, when I informed someone of that after the walk in 5 minutes to closing he cussed me out, then cussed out the handful of customers still sitting.

Kenning posted:

Last night I told a dude we weren't going to serve him another drink. The reasons why I was wrong in making that decision were:

1) He has only had two.
2) He is dining with the Vice Mayor of a nearby city.
3) My bartender is probably drunk.
4) He is from a city an hour south of here.
5) He is a sheriff's deputy.
6) I am racist.
7) Here is his ID, look at it.
8) He is going to call 2 local news stations.
9) He is the chief of an Indian tribe.
10) He is not, in fact, bothering the other customers by yelling at me and asking their opinions of the situation.
11) I'm probably drunk.
12) When the police arrive they're going to breathalyze all of the restaurant staff.

It was a fun 20 minutes.

I know drunk people don't make rational decisions, but has anyone ever successfully convinced a bartender who cut them off into giving them another drink?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
not that I know of. When I was bartending I pretty often got the 'You HAVE to serve me! Its the LAW!'

always good for a chuckle right in someone's face

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

JawKnee posted:

not that I know of. When I was bartending I pretty often got the 'You HAVE to serve me! Its the LAW!'

always good for a chuckle right in someone's face

I just love the idea of a bartender going "you know what, I was wrong to cut you off. Here, have a shot on the house."

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

When the bartender doesn't want to serve you any more there is literally nothing you can say to change their mind. If you say, "Hey I understand, you've gotta look out for you" and don't make any sort of scene then everyone will be happy to see you again next time you come in.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Kenning posted:

When the bartender doesn't want to serve you any more there is literally nothing you can say to change their mind. If you say, "Hey I understand, you've gotta look out for you" and don't make any sort of scene then everyone will be happy to see you again next time you come in.

I know that, I just wonder what goes through people's minds when they decide to argue with a bartender, I figure it's just a really quick way to go from "not allowed to have another drink tonight" to "never allowed back in the place."

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Skwirl posted:

I know that, I just wonder what goes through people's minds when they decide to argue with a bartender, I figure it's just a really quick way to go from "not allowed to have another drink tonight" to "never allowed back in the place."

Alcohol

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Jesus Christ guys. I go to take 9 hour poo poo and come back to this....

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Skwirl posted:

You have no idea how hard it is to be permanently barred from a place. They want your money, they just might make you feel like an rear end in a top hat for spending it there.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

We rolled out corporate's stupid as gently caress Chilean menu. It's loving awful, with way too much cumin in everything, and a complete lack of flavor. WillieTomg took some photos of the terrible food, and was going to make an effortpost about it at some point. Our servers literally don't want to sell this terrible menu, so most of them won't even mention it to guests.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

We rolled out corporate's stupid as gently caress Chilean menu. It's loving awful, with way too much cumin in everything, and a complete lack of flavor. WillieTomg took some photos of the terrible food, and was going to make an effortpost about it at some point. Our servers literally don't want to sell this terrible menu, so most of them won't even mention it to guests.

Cue new directive from corporate that in-store mgmt push servers to meet quota of X% of each check/shift be from the Chilean menu. If they consistently fall short, they're fired. You have to motivate your employees, you see.

Made $40 tonight after pulling $40 last Saturday night, compared to two Saturdays ago while in training pulling $80 on a two-table section. I'm hearing a lot of complaints among the server staff that come down do the fact that people aren't making money because the floor is overstaffed. For once, I find myself agreeing with a group of servers, if you look out your window you can see the first of the Four Horsemen descending.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Shooting Blanks posted:

You have no idea how hard it is to be permanently barred from a place. They want your money, they just might make you feel like an rear end in a top hat for spending it there.
I've actually seen people get 86'd from my local hangout. One time I saw a guy get thrown out and 86'd then the next week come back in, since he was blackout drunk he didn't remember getting 86'd. That was a fun conversation to over hear. I had one customer at my own restaurant who isn't officially 86'd, since I don't know his name or have a photo, but if he comes in when I'm working I'm telling him to get the hell out.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
It's my difficult to get 86d at all. Your money isn't worth your lovely behavior (presuming it's legit lovely) and there's plenty of other people who are less lovely.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

A Man and his dog posted:

Jesus Christ guys. I go to take 9 hour poo poo and come back to this....

keep on keeping us updated on what you were doing between the last time you checked the thread and the current time you are checking the thread ; it's literally the most interesting thing I could possibly hope to read

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Trebuchet King posted:

Have any of y'all used vistaprint's website builder for your restaurants?

It seems alright for getting basic functionalities, but before I start trying to break it in ways heretofore unseen I figure it's worth asking if anyone's found any neat tricks or useful tips in bending it to your will.

I'm using Weebly which I find is much easier to use than anything Vistaprint has to offer. Then again, it's not for a restaurant website, but I've seen a bunch of layouts for menus and so on as I've been screwing around. I haven't tried to publish yet, which for me is the final word in whether a wysiwig editor is worthwhile. The design interface could be amazing, but if it then gives me a bunch of files and says "good luck getting this poo poo live" and cuts you loose, I feel like crying.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Should've opened a food truck in Austin, you'd be making bank.

e: as if I'm not bored at the current job, probably going to go for the banquet sous position at our downtown property. Sooo boooored.

Yeah but the commute would be lovely.

It doesn't matter anymore I'm shutting down end of next week. It was fun but I can't make enough money off this thing. There is some new competition opening up across the street and then 2 blocks the other way next month as well, going to hit this place hard.

Time to pack it in and go back to IT and make bank again.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Oct 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Pile of Kittens posted:

I'm using Weebly which I find is much easier to use than anything Vistaprint has to offer. Then again, it's not for a restaurant website, but I've seen a bunch of layouts for menus and so on as I've been screwing around. I haven't tried to publish yet, which for me is the final word in whether a wysiwig editor is worthwhile. The design interface could be amazing, but if it then gives me a bunch of files and says "good luck getting this poo poo live" and cuts you loose, I feel like crying.

SquareSpace might be worth a look too. They seem to have templates for restaurants.

• Locked thread