Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

that's weird since 3rd id was the best unit i was attached to when i deployed

The reserve squadron I spent most of my time with had the best morale by far, because there were only 8 active duty personnel. the XO (O-4), two other pilots (O-2s) myself (E-5), and four junior enlisted. So the entire CoC was in the hangar M-F playing Madden and BF:Bad Company/Halo/CoD on a TV we jacked from a seemingly abandoned briefing room and not worrying about much because all we had to do was keep the hangar clean until the weekends when the reservists would gently caress everything up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

3rd. I was with their FA company in Bahqubah and they had their poo poo together for the most part.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I know 2-9IN holds a special place in a lot of soldiers hearts.

Jokers Gamble
May 31, 2013

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

3rd. I was with their FA company in Bahqubah and they had their poo poo together for the most part.

They were at Benning so they might have escaped some of the bullshit by being 10 hours from their division hq. I was stuck in 4th the whole time. Div. HQ was always trying to pull this whole moto bullshit with division runs and dumb poo poo like that.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

MightyJoe36 posted:

There's a reason the 101st Airborne Division is called the "one-oh-worst."

i've been in the 101st

camp casey, korea is the worst duty station in the army and if anyone disagrees it's because they haven't been there. i don't care if they've been to drum, polk and deployed. camp casey is the worst.

e: if anyone went to korea and enjoyed it they probably blew all their money bagging filipino prostitutes and boozing the pain away.

Cole fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Sep 30, 2015

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Suntan Boy posted:

Is the money worth picking up and moving your entire life on short notice?

You'll be king poo poo of your local adult daycare, but you'll still be a bottom.

You're going to be almost purely an administrator if you take a command. Specialty will influence some decisions until you get tired of getting poo poo on for them.

Are you career? If not, command time doesn't really matter. If so, kill yourself.

Man you guys are so demotivational, I love it. I was considering going career, now I am going to consider not.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

White Chocolate posted:

Man you guys are so demotivational, I love it. I was considering going career, now I am going to consider not.

Another life saved.

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

Icon Of Sin posted:

1/25 in AK was pretty stupid. The combo of normal army bullshit, near total isolation (Fairbanks, AK), and the Arctic climate itself lent itself to a particular brand of stupid that I've yet to encounter anywhere else (because I got the gently caress out of the army instead of going to another unit).

I've gotta agree with this one. What years were you there, I was 2-1/1-24 from 2006 to 2010. Total shithole.

White Chocolate posted:

lol going career.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I'm not even joking, I used that flowchart we have in the enlisting thread for a family member that was thinking about joining.

I was like, "Do you not like college or weed or making money? Because the military is pretty much going to kill those things for a while until you figure out how to game the system right." They didn't think I was serious (about the college and money part) until I showed them the chart.

They were easy to dissuade though; they just thinking about joining because they were lazy in this lovely job and school market, so instead of hustling the colleges for money, they were just going to join because the military takes p.much anyone.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Cole posted:

e: if anyone went to korea and enjoyed it they probably blew all their money bagging filipino prostitutes and boozing the pain away.

Korea would have been fun as hell if it wasn't for the Army.

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Ceterum autem censeo mundum esse delendam

Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris
I've switched over to actively encouraging people into joining once they ask me about enlistment. If the synapses firing between their neurons are hosed enough to have the concept of enlistment filter beyond their clearly subpar blood brain barrier than they will absolutely fit in with like-minded mouth breathing halfwits. Once you've gotten to the point of, "Boy oh boy, I wonder if I can have the current partially functioning federal government dictate every aspect of my life up to and including when and where I can poo poo," it's beyond too late. RIP you, just RIP.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Obstacle2 posted:

I've gotta agree with this one. What years were you there, I was 2-1/1-24 from 2006 to 2010. Total shithole.

lol going career.

Got there in Nov 09, left after the Afghanistan deployment in 2012. Ended up in 1-5 as a PL, tried poisoning my liver to deal with the most idiotic boss one could imagine (I'm sure you heard of him, since 1-5 and 1-24 had their Bn HQs in the same building). "Micromanaging west pointer with a napolean complex" is the best way I can describe him.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Icon Of Sin posted:

Micromanaging west pointer with a napolean complex

So like 80% of the officer corps?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Vasudus posted:

So like 80% of the officer corps?

He managed to stand out even among them :v: He's the same one that got sent to be the S4 as his post-command job and tried to give me a statement of charges for something that went missing 6 months after I left his company.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Nobody in our brigade to include profile PT were allowed to use on-base gyms during PT hours, because the brigade command staff didn't like it when the gym was crowded when they went to do their daily 45 minutes of lazy-rear end rowing on the row machine :yum:

Did anyone else have brigade shirts that they had to wear for PT every day? We circumvented this rule by just wearing greys and hope they never recognized our faces.

Justin Tyme fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Sep 30, 2015

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

Icon Of Sin posted:

Got there in Nov 09, left after the Afghanistan deployment in 2012. Ended up in 1-5 as a PL, tried poisoning my liver to deal with the most idiotic boss one could imagine (I'm sure you heard of him, since 1-5 and 1-24 had their Bn HQs in the same building). "Micromanaging west pointer with a napolean complex" is the best way I can describe him.

Even though they shared the same building barely anyone ever crossed from one side to the other and in general soldiers from the line companies were encouraged to avoid the Bn HQs like the plague. That whole brigade was full of shitters. Be glad you weren't there for our deployment ceremony featuring Sarah Palin.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Cole posted:

i've been in the 101st

camp casey, korea is the worst duty station in the army and if anyone disagrees it's because they haven't been there. i don't care if they've been to drum, polk and deployed. camp casey is the worst.

Spot on. 1-72 USED to be legit while LTC Stephens was there. Your own company would do their best to gently caress you though but it was hard when Stephens was dishing out DONSAs like loving candy.

2-9IN was super gay, only probably beaten by 4-7CAV. Both were fantastic at loving up soldiers for life from dumb poo poo, but 4-7CAV was so special they had dudes sitting out it the mountains for "training", and forget to bring water. But can't go back for loving water, there's "training" to do. Now lie down and try to make that camelbak last for 2 days.

Jokers Gamble posted:

Nothing will ever outshit the 3rd ID, the Cock of the Marne.

lovely swamp base, fatty mech units, and without a doubt the most toxic loving command I've ever seen.

Edit: I didn't even get to ride around in Bradleys either. I got stuck in the one loving light infantry brigade.

Ahhh, the 3rd ID welcome sign on Benning.

Days since last DUI: [rarely in double digits]
Days since last fatal training accident: [never nowhere near close to triple digits]

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I feel bad for the IBOLC and ABOLC LT's that have to stay on Benning with the 3rd ID. I think I'd rather be one of the LTs going to Polk or Irwin than be stuck on Benning.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

not caring here posted:

1-72 USED to be legit while LTC Stephens was there.

I got there in August 2012. A Co 1/72. Without a doubt the worst unit I was in. From top to bottom, the worst leadership, the privates had the worst attitudes I had ever seen. Don't you loving dare get an article 15 in 1/72. Extra duty goes from whenever you get released for the day until motherfucking midnight. And then you have to be right back at work for 630am formation for 45 days along with post restriction. I got so much poo poo from the 1sgt after I did CQ one day because I cut our extra duty guys leave three hours early (at the shamtastic time of loving 9pm) because we had a PT test the next morning. They were talking about taking my loving rank for that poo poo.

When I look at the chain of events, I can fully understand why someone would threaten to kill the entire company in formation, officers included, as I did when we were forced to stay in formation for five hours while we searched every barracks room for ammo that was missing from the arms room. Five loving hours we sat out there. Where was the ammo?

The goddamn armorer didn't loving count correctly and it was in the arms room the entire goddamn time.

My loving bloodpressure is rising just talking about that loving place.

I would rather do five years deployed than one year in Korea.

If you came up to me right now and said I had to either do 15 more years to get 20, but I would never go to Korea

or

I could do one year in Korea

and there wasn't a third option, I would start planning for my retirement in 15 years.

Korea loving sucks.

Cole fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Oct 1, 2015

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Minor change, being in the Army in Korea loving sucks. Now that I'm a fat, unshaven civilian I would jump at getting a contract there and enjoying the country for a few years.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

SumYungGui posted:

Minor change, being in the Army in Korea loving sucks. Now that I'm a fat, unshaven civilian I would jump at getting a contract there and enjoying the country for a few years.

Truth

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I final out of the army in like 36 hours, still haven't gotten my installation clearing papers due to my units sheer incompetence :) Made a scene at JBLM in/out processing and the fat old guy that worked the front desk basically closed the shutters on me at 1530 sharp while i was standing there for the past 30 minutes on the phone with my BN trying figure out what their malfunction was.

I'M SURE THIS WILL WORK OUT FOR THE BEST.

Sitting in a room on base lodging. God I have spent way too much time in boring loving base lodging for no real good reason in the past 12 years. It almost is sad to leave it now haha haahahah ahahahaha.

Within 90 days I'm going to be homeless and a missing person just wait! I can't wait. I'm off meds and i'm a wild a crazy guy

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
In all seriousness, if you ever need help or whatever, I'm just down in Olympia. It gets better, man.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I'm only in this area for a a few days for TDY. I'm not even from this post! I just have to clear it. Thankfully a bunch of the dumb poo poo should be precleared like TAADSC or whatever because what the gently caress

edit:

I ate 2 slices of anthonys pizza whats wrong with me :smithicide:

edit 3: on my way home after signing out on terminal leave i'm stopping by a pot store and gonna get high as gently caress for the first time since some of you were probably 10 years old or something :( one hit and i'm sure i'll be loving so fargone

CHICKEN SHOES fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Oct 1, 2015

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

I ate 2 slices of anthonys pizza whats wrong with me :smithicide:

Nothing yet probably, give it a few hours for the bowel obstruction to get really moving though :twisted:

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Unit Chat-
My Unit in the 82d was pretty loving rad when I was in (3/325, late 02-mid 05) but we were deployed for most of my time there. Leadership at the section/platoon level was all around good with long periods of loving awesome, and even though I was a shithead during the short periods we were in garrison, because I was decent at my job and when deployed, I got away with poo poo that should have got me Art15'd a few times over.

Worst? A PAANG unit that no longer exists (thanks Obama! Or modularity or whatever). Super toxic leadership, a lot of soldiers not knowing basic poo poo, a lovely posting deployed with no real mission, coupled with my own unrealized mental health issues, made that the worst posting imaginable. I add the last thing because while it falls on me to get my poo poo fixed, it was made about 1000% worse by that shitastic unit.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

173rd was okay because Italy was kind of okay and also we pretty much never jumped and never had anywhere to train and didn't really have vehicles to maintain so I guess that whole thing could have been a lot dumber.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
Does anyone here belong to the 411th EN BDE? If so PM me apparently a det cdr is about to have a whole lot of problems.

Jokers Gamble
May 31, 2013
My platoon was actually pretty rad, most of our guys were over being motivated and just acted like adults and our platoon Sargent was an ex ranger who didn't give a poo poo about getting promoted and repeatedly told 1sg to get hosed when he tried to put us on stupid poo poo.

My deployment with those guys was fun. After that all the chill dudes pcs'd and the whole battalion (3-15 IN) went to poo poo.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

White Chocolate posted:

Does anyone here belong to the 411th EN BDE? If so PM me apparently a det cdr is about to have a whole lot of problems.

I used to and still have a few buddies that are there. Totally interested in hearing this gossip.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Stanley Goodspeed posted:

173rd was okay because Italy was kind of okay and also we pretty much never jumped and never had anywhere to train and didn't really have vehicles to maintain so I guess that whole thing could have been a lot dumber.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

From my understanding you can't even wep quail because of some bullshit in the SOFA or whatever. Correct me if wrong.

Also, I don't get what the gently caress is wrong with the Army's medical system. Behavioral Health records dating 4 years back, asked for a medboard and was told "I need treatment first" leg issues with three surgeries between the two for a few years and was told a while ago "well! We tried! Go see pain management and good luck!" Like, offer me a second opinion or something? Don't just wash your hands of me oval office.

I can't wait to get out. I ETS in 3 years and I'm not gonna make it that long.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Soulex posted:

From my understanding you can't even wep quail because of some bullshit in the SOFA or whatever. Correct me if wrong.

Also, I don't get what the gently caress is wrong with the Army's medical system. Behavioral Health records dating 4 years back, asked for a medboard and was told "I need treatment first" leg issues with three surgeries between the two for a few years and was told a while ago "well! We tried! Go see pain management and good luck!" Like, offer me a second opinion or something? Don't just wash your hands of me oval office.

Being medboarded loving blows in its way. 12 years in, impeccable service record and all that. No one would have said I was anything than a good soldier. Get medboarded for mental health, after going to mental health on a good friends advice, and I'm suddenly the biggest trash in the command, with the brigade commander who is 1000 miles away and I've shook hands with once, calling me a malinger and all this other poo poo. I was ok with you know, pulling my weight and carrying on while undergoing treatment so as not to disrupt the work enviroment for my office, but after all that poo poo, I loving shut down and stopped going to work. I haven't been to my office or pt or anything in like 3 months. It sounds ~awesome~ I know but it reallllly makes me feel like poo poo too.

And you don't really ask for a medboard, certain criteria need to be met and its automatic at that point, in my experience anyhow.

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

Soulex posted:

I ETS in 3 years and I'm not gonna make it that long.

lol owned

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Soulex posted:

You have no one to blame but yourself.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

Being medboarded loving blows in its way. 12 years in, impeccable service record and all that. No one would have said I was anything than a good soldier. Get medboarded for mental health, after going to mental health on a good friends advice, and I'm suddenly the biggest trash in the command, with the brigade commander who is 1000 miles away and I've shook hands with once, calling me a malinger and all this other poo poo. I was ok with you know, pulling my weight and carrying on while undergoing treatment so as not to disrupt the work enviroment for my office, but after all that poo poo, I loving shut down and stopped going to work. I haven't been to my office or pt or anything in like 3 months. It sounds ~awesome~ I know but it reallllly makes me feel like poo poo too.

And you don't really ask for a medboard, certain criteria need to be met and its automatic at that point, in my experience anyhow.

I already denied one to PCS and come here and it was in my record luckily.

I also get why you feel like poo poo. It's peer pressure, it's the same bullshit they do when they're like "Come on, sign up for airborne, it'll be fun! No? What are you a loving leg?"Yes. Yes I am a loving leg. I also have my knees.

Cole posted:

You have no one to blame but yourself.

Both completely true. I'm surprised I lasted this long. Then again, my track history with being in abusive relationships is pretty bad too.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
I wasn't medboarded but I had the same exact bullshit happen to me when I told them I'm not re-upping. It went from "good soldier who does his work well and isn't an idiot so he doesn't get DUIs and other dumb poo poo" to "gently caress YOU WE ALL HOPE YOU DIE AND WE'RE GONNA gently caress WITH YOU EVERY SECOND UNTIL YOU GET OUT".

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Mike-o posted:

I wasn't medboarded but I had the same exact bullshit happen to me when I told them I'm not re-upping. It went from "good soldier who does his work well and isn't an idiot so he doesn't get DUIs and other dumb poo poo" to "gently caress YOU WE ALL HOPE YOU DIE AND WE'RE GONNA gently caress WITH YOU EVERY SECOND UNTIL YOU GET OUT".

Yeah green is an ugly color on people

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Going from superstar to pariah is SOP when you get a medboard. They must have forgotten to give you a copy of that memo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I got super lucky as when I got med boarded, both my CO and 1SG got QSPd. The amount of give a fucks when they dragged me up to the training room was pretty low.

• Locked thread