Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
Ayyyy how about that Goku? He's a pretty swell guy.

I started watching TFS playing through Xenoverse since they just finished it. Pretty great when they throw in the occasional snippet using their abridged voices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

Goku is actually not swell, and he is a bad father.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Amorphous Blob posted:

Goku is actually not swell, and he is a bad father.

Goku is not your dad.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Kild posted:

Goku is not your dad.

you take that back

goku is my dad and he loves me and everyone else on this planet

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

Why doesn't my goku dad ever hug me....

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Amorphous Blob posted:

Goku came back from the dead to give his son a hug. And to fight mans.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Amorphous Blob posted:

You can't hug with kaioken arms.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Vegeta is literally a better dad than Goku, based on the fact we've seen him take Trunks out to the park at least once, while we have never seen Goku take Gohan to the park. We've also seen him be enraged by Trunks getting seriously injured/hurt, while Goku is just like "oh nooo Gohan" when something bad happens to him. Also, Goku has always weirded me out; he has dead eyes and is always cheerful, like some bizarre kung-fu clown. It worked when he was a child, but it's really off-putting when he's an adult.

That being said, Piccolo is the best dad (and person) in the series. What a stand-up guy. He's the only one that seems to genuinely care about his "son" and is never an rear end in a top hat/tsundere (like Vegeta) to him for no reason.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Vegeta is literally a better dad than Goku, based on the fact we've seen him take Trunks out to the park at least once, while we have never seen Goku take Gohan to the park. We've also seen him be enraged by Trunks getting seriously injured/hurt, while Goku is just like "oh nooo Gohan" when something bad happens to him. Also, Goku has always weirded me out; he has dead eyes and is always cheerful, like some bizarre kung-fu clown. It worked when he was a child, but it's really off-putting when he's an adult.

That being said, Piccolo is the best dad (and person) in the series. What a stand-up guy. He's the only one that seems to genuinely care about his "son" and is never an rear end in a top hat/tsundere (like Vegeta) to him for no reason.

I see.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Mr Satan is the best dad, best grandad, hero, and character, as the poll above says.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Piccolo was such a good dad when he threw Gohan at a mountain.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Um I thought we all agreed that Krillin was the best dad, as well as the best character???

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

Ytlaya posted:

Goku took Gohan fishing before the Cell Games.

wereboat
Jun 23, 2011

Raxivace posted:

I wish my dad threw me at a mountain, maybe it would've unlocked my hidden potential and I wouldn't be such a gently caress up

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010
Well obviously that didn't work for Gohan.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

wereboat posted:

I wish my dad threw me at a mountain, maybe it would've unlocked my hidden potential and I wouldn't be such a gently caress up

Dude you just need to train more. No need to involve mountains, unless you're running up them Rocky IV style. In that case involve mountains and good 80's music.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Raxivace posted:

That was before Piccolo became a good dad. He gradually transformed into a good dad while training Gohan. Also, him throwing Gohan at the mountain in the assumption that he'd save himself with his hidden ability is basically exactly the same thing as Goku throwing Gohan at Cell in the assumption he would unlock his ability and not get killed by him.

Also, I didn't know Goku took Gohan fishing. Maybe that was just in the anime?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

That was before Piccolo became a good dad. He gradually transformed into a good dad while training Gohan. Also, him throwing Gohan at the mountain in the assumption that he'd save himself with his hidden ability is basically exactly the same thing as Goku throwing Gohan at Cell in the assumption he would unlock his ability and not get killed by him.

Also, I didn't know Goku took Gohan fishing. Maybe that was just in the anime?

It was not. He spent a whole year being encouraging and fatherly to Gohan in the time chamber and then spent a whole week relaxing with his wife and son before dying to save the planet once again.

Cody Banks
Mar 7, 2013

Farecoal posted:

Um I thought we all agreed that Krillin was the best dad, as well as the best character???

He's also nailing a hot blonde who can blow up planets. Goku and Vegeta's wives can only blow up emotionally.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Bulma could probably SCIENCE! a planet in to exploding. Alternately she could also probably shrink a planet in to a capsule, carry the entire thing around in her handbag for however long and then plop it down in a new system to really gently caress with some people's heads. I wonder, would everyone be all right in there if she left an LED next to the capsule?

It's a pity all the combat in Dragonball comes down to punchmans, because one character using stupid sciencey poo poo to fight on par with the other guys would be fun.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

List of DBZ dads in no particular order:

Gohan 1
Gohan 2
Vegeta
Goku
Krillin
Nameless Namek
Ox King
Dr Slump
Hercule "Mark" Satan
Bibidi
King Cold
Dr Gero
Tournament Announcer(poo poo he needs to go in the poll)
Dr Briefs
Master Roshi

I think thats it

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

tsob posted:

Bulma could probably SCIENCE! a planet in to exploding. Alternately she could also probably shrink a planet in to a capsule, carry the entire thing around in her handbag for however long and then plop it down in a new system to really gently caress with some people's heads. I wonder, would everyone be all right in there if she left an LED next to the capsule?

It's a pity all the combat in Dragonball comes down to punchmans, because one character using stupid sciencey poo poo to fight on par with the other guys would be fun.

THats the androids tho?

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Amorphous Blob posted:

[timg][/timg]

List of DBZ dads in no particular order:

Gohan 1
Gohan 2
Vegeta
Goku
Krillin
Nameless Namek
Ox King
Dr Slump
Hercule "Mark" Satan
Bibidi
King Cold
Dr Gero
Tournament Announcer(poo poo he needs to go in the poll)
Dr Briefs
Master Roshi

I think thats it

Did you actually forget Paragus???

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Did you actually forget Paragus???

I also forgot Bardock and King Vegeta.

vvv Filed under N for Namek

Amorphous Blob fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Oct 2, 2015

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:
Also both King Piccolo and Piccolo Jr.; maybe even technically Kami?

Guru, too.

Cody Banks
Mar 7, 2013

tsob posted:

I mean, they all did pretty well for themselves. Vegeta and Gohan married into extreme wealth, and Goku technically married into royalty.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Kild posted:

THats the androids tho?

Not really, they just use science to duplicate the exact same type of fighting everyone else does. I mean someone more akin to Usopp in One Piece, who just uses really weird inventions and silly stuff to fight instead of being practically identical to everyone else.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

Dragon Ball is really bad about variations in skillsets, even for a battle manga.

Cody Banks
Mar 7, 2013

Amorphous Blob posted:

Dragon Ball is really bad about variations in skillsets, even for a battle manga.

Dragon Ball was much better about this than DBZ. They actually used the occasional technique instead of pure brute force.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

Cody Banks posted:

Dragon Ball was much better about this than DBZ. They actually used the occasional technique instead of pure brute force.

It relied a lot more on joke victories like Krillin not having a nose or Roshi bleeding on the invisible man.

Also the thread has 21000 views which is about the level of this fight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6VB1RTLwNE

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Amorphous Blob posted:

It relied a lot more on joke victories like Krillin not having a nose or Roshi bleeding on the invisible man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6VB1RTLwNE

It's sad to think that Cui could have single-handedly wiped out everyone on Earth..

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

New Leaf posted:

It's sad to think that Cui could have single-handedly wiped out everyone on Earth..

Conversely, it's hilarious to think Goku could have beaten Guldo with a quick Kaioken during the battle of the Sayians.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Amorphous Blob posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynrEI3uTmkY

fixed that for you

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Covok posted:

Conversely, it's hilarious to think Goku could have beaten Guldo with a quick Kaioken during the battle of the Sayians.

Guldo's ability was actually extremely powerful and he was just really bad at using it (and hindered greatly by the fact that he was so out of shape, when his power literally requires holding his breath to function).

Amorphous Blob posted:

Yeah, past roughly the Frieza fight there is literally no way to tell whether a guy is strong based upon what they're actually doing; people who are described as Stronger are just magically able to easily dodge and punch their opponents. At least until Frieza you had people creating larger explosions and some effects to depict the fact that the fighters were moving super fast.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Oct 2, 2015

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

Guldo's ability was actually extremely powerful and he was just really bad at using it (and hindered greatly by the fact that he was so out of shape, when his power literally requires holding his breath to function).

It probably also works better if you aren't fighting someone who can instantly tell where you are.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

dr.acula posted:

fixed that for you

Why doesn't either version have the "such dirty fireworks" bit?

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, past roughly the Frieza fight there is literally no way to tell whether a guy is strong based upon what they're actually doing; people who are described as Stronger are just magically able to easily dodge and punch their opponents. At least until Frieza you had people creating larger explosions and some effects to depict the fact that the fighters were moving super fast.

Yeah Guldo and Ginyu were the last guys to have a gimmick. Android 19 sort of does but it didn't get explored much. Going from Yamcha to SSJ Vegeta will do that.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Yeah I want new baddies to have good gimmicks.

Honestly, they could take stories from movies and re-use them and I wouldn't care. The "Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans" baddies were pretty cool.. the unkillable smoke monsters that you can only dissipate for a time but they can still do damage, that way everyone could be involved just trying to burn through them or keep them off of towns. Would be a real comic book/Justice League type thing, all the cities are being attacked so everyone has to go off on their own or into small teams to help defend them while the Saiyans fight the big bad.. Yamcha, Tien, Chiaotzu to one, Krillin, 18, and Roshi to another, Videl and Gohan doing their superhero thing.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

First androids could power suck and couldn't be sensed. Their fights were about them sucking out people's energy.
17/18 weren't really antagonists.
Cell's gimmick was having everyone else's gimmick.
Darbura turned people into stone.
Buu was made of immediately healing putty, could turn people into candy, could throw pieces of himself all over the place and absorb people, had multiple different versions.

The villains post Freeza had more variety in Z than in Dragon Ball.

Darko fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Oct 2, 2015

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yeah but how many of those guys are wearing a sweet KILL YOU! jacket?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

How could I have forgotten Buu, the living gimmick?

In my defense that's the saga I know the least.

E; cell is my favorite gimmick until he turns into strongest man

Amorphous Blob fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Oct 2, 2015

• Locked thread