Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

eSporks posted:

In this area many public places have ATT wireless hitspots. If you have an ATT phone and wifi is on, it will connect automatically to them.
Every single one of them is complete trash and will take minutes to load a webpage, so you are far better off using data.

I don't understand why we can't have a phone that will just use the best connection available.

This is exactly it. I don't want my phone auto connecting to WiFi hotspots on my commute and I also don't want my phone to connect to my work WiFi. However I do want my phone to connect to my home WiFi. Maybe I just need a rule system?

Edit: just found you can save credentials but disable auto-connect. Provided the hotspots all use the same said this might just work.

Red_Fred fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Oct 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

No, you just need a phone not preloaded with lovely AT&T software that forces you off the high speed data you are paying for to reduce network load.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I don't know about other AT&T phones but my Moto X has a setting to keep it from auto-connecting to AT&T hotspot.

Settings. Wifi. Three dot menu. Advanced. last option.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Thermopyle posted:

I don't know about other AT&T phones but my Moto X has a setting to keep it from auto-connecting to AT&T hotspot.

Settings. Wifi. Three dot menu. Advanced. last option.
Awesome. Thanks.

I still have issues with stuff like the wifi at work getting a good signal in the break room, but not at my desk. There are legitimately reason to not just leave it on all the time.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Where is the setting to turn off the lock screen in certain locations? I'd like to start locking my phone, but not at home.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Qylvaran posted:

Where is the setting to turn off the lock screen in certain locations? I'd like to start locking my phone, but not at home.

Security > Smart Lock > Trusted Places

I think you need to have turned screen locking on first maybe

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

eSporks posted:

Awesome. Thanks.

I still have issues with stuff like the wifi at work getting a good signal in the break room, but not at my desk. There are legitimately reason to not just leave it on all the time.

There used to be a setting for this too called "Avoid poor connections" but I'll admit to not being able to find it on my Nexus 5 on the latest firmware.

Magog
Jan 9, 2010

LastInLine posted:

There used to be a setting for this too called "Avoid poor connections" but I'll admit to not being able to find it on my Nexus 5 on the latest firmware.

This is now 'Aggressive Wi-Fi to Mobile handover' in Developer options.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Has anyone noticed the Facebook app draining battery somewhat faster than it used to in the past couple of weeks?
Nexus 6 running 5.1.1, Facebook is on the latest build I believe, 48.0.0.28.137
Might just be in my head, I suppose, but my usage hasn't changed drastically but I'm finding it hard getting through the day without hitting 20% or so when this used to never be a problem and Facebook seems to be the biggest hog after screen.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

couldcareless posted:

Has anyone noticed the Facebook app draining battery somewhat faster than it used to in the past couple of weeks?
Nexus 6 running 5.1.1, Facebook is on the latest build I believe, 48.0.0.28.137
Might just be in my head, I suppose, but my usage hasn't changed drastically but I'm finding it hard getting through the day without hitting 20% or so when this used to never be a problem and Facebook seems to be the biggest hog after screen.

Uninstall the app, use chrome and turn on notifications if you want.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
I'm getting a warranty replacement for my warranty replacement phone. Short version, what's the current backup solution of choice? Not just SMS but I also don't want to lose which podcast episodes I've listened to, the current list of installed apps, stuff like that.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Fiance calls to say her N5 wont charge on a cable. I bring home the Vu, it charges fine wirelessly. I figure the cable was bad so I grab another and plug it into my computer. Phone says its charging. WTF. I ask her if she tried different cables. Before she can answer the phone starts pouring smoke out of the bottom. I yank the cable from the phone but instead of just normally disconnecting it comes out followed by trails of melted plastic and rubber. The phone never turned off and continues to charge wirelessly just fine. She got the phone free 6 months ago from a local college doing locational surveys so I'm betting LG is going to do gently caress all but surprisingly it seems they want to replace it.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

monster on a stick posted:

I'm getting a warranty replacement for my warranty replacement phone. Short version, what's the current backup solution of choice? Not just SMS but I also don't want to lose which podcast episodes I've listened to, the current list of installed apps, stuff like that.

You can try Helium to back stuff up, but it's kind of a pain. Also, depending on which podcast app you've got, it may have a backup utility; I know BeyondPod does.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

monster on a stick posted:

Moto Migrate is really great but I'd bet it's for Moto devices only. Not sure what you're having replaced.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I just switched over to Pushbullet because MightyText is going to start charging $3 a month for sending over 500 texts with their app. Do I have an option to be able to delete text conversations within Pushbullet in Chrome?

Also, I use TeslaUnread and I'm confused on what it means to be able to give that app notification bar access? What does that mean?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Fiance calls to say her N5 wont charge on a cable. I bring home the Vu, it charges fine wirelessly. I figure the cable was bad so I grab another and plug it into my computer. Phone says its charging. WTF. I ask her if she tried different cables. Before she can answer the phone starts pouring smoke out of the bottom. I yank the cable from the phone but instead of just normally disconnecting it comes out followed by trails of melted plastic and rubber. The phone never turned off and continues to charge wirelessly just fine. She got the phone free 6 months ago from a local college doing locational surveys so I'm betting LG is going to do gently caress all but surprisingly it seems they want to replace it.

It would be pretty bad press to deny replacing a device that was literally sparking and melting.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Syrinxx posted:

Moto Migrate is really great but I'd bet it's for Moto devices only. Not sure what you're having replaced.

I used it to switch from SGS3 to a Turbo.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

LastInLine posted:

On my Note 4 it's right at the top of Wifi settings. Lol, stupid touchwiz.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

baka kaba posted:

Security > Smart Lock > Trusted Places

I think you need to have turned screen locking on first maybe

I don't see that setting, even after enabling a lock. Nexus 5 Android version 5.1.1.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Have you got a really old version of play services installed or something? That options been there for ages now

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Qylvaran posted:

I don't see that setting, even after enabling a lock. Nexus 5 Android version 5.1.1.

You have Location Services turned on and share your location with Google, correct? It should be obvious you have to do both for this to work. You probably also have to make sure wifi scanning is turned on.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

kri kri posted:

Uninstall the app, use chrome and turn on notifications if you want.

Or better, use Tinfoil for facebook.

It's just a site specific browser for facebook, so no different in use, but it'll prevent you from having facebook logged in cookies in your actual browser - tracking everything you do, and linked to your facebook profile.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
You have to make Smart Lock a "trust agent" first to give it access to make modifications to you lock screen. See here.

https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/6093922?hl=en

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Is it possible to use the smart lock, and then when I'm at one of my trusted places, it removes all forms of security? I hate swiping to unlock and would prefer if when I'm at a trusted location, I'm just at the home screen/last app open when I hit the power button to turn the display on.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

What's your favorite way to wirelessly send files from your computer to your android? My ideal app would be something that let me drag a file or folder to an icon in my menu bar or something and have it show up in a pre-determined folder on my phone. I'm using a Mac, if that matters.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

wolfbiker posted:

Is it possible to use the smart lock, and then when I'm at one of my trusted places, it removes all forms of security? I hate swiping to unlock and would prefer if when I'm at a trusted location, I'm just at the home screen/last app open when I hit the power button to turn the display on.
Not afaik, but at least llama can do this. Haven't used llama after I started using smart lock though, so I can't say how well they play together.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

dik-dik posted:

What's your favorite way to wirelessly send files from your computer to your android? My ideal app would be something that let me drag a file or folder to an icon in my menu bar or something and have it show up in a pre-determined folder on my phone. I'm using a Mac, if that matters.

Pushbullet or their file transfer thing, forgot the name of it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

kri kri posted:

Pushbullet or their file transfer thing, forgot the name of it.

Their file transfer thing is Portal but dik-dik, you want Pushbullet. You can use the Chrome extension if that's your browser of choice and the OS X app together. The nice thing about the OS X app is that it shows in Finder and you can send to your device by just secondary clicking and selecting the device to which to send it.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Busy Bee posted:

I just switched over to Pushbullet because MightyText is going to start charging $3 a month for sending over 500 texts with their app. Do I have an option to be able to delete text conversations within Pushbullet in Chrome?

Also, I use TeslaUnread and I'm confused on what it means to be able to give that app notification bar access? What does that mean?
From what I can tell, you need to do your deleting on the phone if you want a conversation to go away in Pushbullet. This has been true for me in both the desktop and the web versions of the PC component. It also has an annoying habit of adding a blank conversation with any contact I edit, that I'm not able to delete, although those eventually get bumped down and off the list.

As for TeslaUnread it wants notification bar access so that it can add unread counts to various apps such as FB and Gmail, in addition to just SMS.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I know we were just making fun of people disabling WiFi, but...

Yesterday, I manually connected to an ATT WiFi hotspot to test something (I have the automatically connection option disabled), and now it always reconnects to that hotspot when I'm near it, and that particular network doesn't have "Forget" as an option when I long-press it.

Thanks AT&T.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Skarsnik posted:

Have you got a really old version of play services installed or something? That options been there for ages now

Uthor posted:

You have to make Smart Lock a "trust agent" first to give it access to make modifications to you lock screen. See here.

https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/6093922?hl=en

The "trust agent" thing is what I was missing. Thank you for your help.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Thermopyle posted:

I know we were just making fun of people disabling WiFi, but...

Yesterday, I manually connected to an ATT WiFi hotspot to test something (I have the automatically connection option disabled), and now it always reconnects to that hotspot when I'm near it, and that particular network doesn't have "Forget" as an option when I long-press it.

Thanks AT&T.

Do you only get Modify?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Do you only get Modify?

No, it just says "Cancel".

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh
Does anyone else have issues where Google Rewards surveys only show up on one device? For some reason my surveys never show up on my phone, only on my tablet, and sometimes on an old phone I leave at home. What's really strange is that if I see a survey show up on one device, none of the others can see the survey, even if I open the app.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

pairofdimes posted:

Does anyone else have issues where Google Rewards surveys only show up on one device? For some reason my surveys never show up on my phone, only on my tablet, and sometimes on an old phone I leave at home. What's really strange is that if I see a survey show up on one device, none of the others can see the survey, even if I open the app.

Yep. They show on my tablet often. Phone, every now and again. Doesn't make sense, but it's Google, so...

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

pairofdimes posted:

Same issue, so I removed it from my tablet. Seems like I even got more surveys.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Has BeyondPod been flaky for anyone else recently?

Propaganda Panda
Dec 26, 2010

The Dark One posted:

Has BeyondPod been flaky for anyone else recently?

Yep, it's been refusing to download new episodes for me. It shows new episodes available for download, but won't automatically download them, so I've gotta click the little arrow.

Is there any way to get it to auto delete played episodes, and then search for older episodes and download them instead??

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Most of my feeds downloaded automatically just fine through yesterday, but some that should have new episodes aren't showing any. Also, I got this pretty verbose error on a particular feed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
On older versions of Android I could have my headset and normal headphones at different volumes. Is that possible with lollipop? If not is there an app that can do this?

• Locked thread