Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008
Some really effective use of Whataboutism in this thread. Like, textbook perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Neurolimal posted:

A significant (possibly even majority) of the West Bank do not care for Abbas' governance and have no reasonable course to change it, and if you were to stumble into the wreckage of the Gaza Strip and ask about LGBQT rights everyone (straight, gay, bisexual, man, woman) would look at you like you were a jackass.

Great hot take there Neuro. Maybe gay Palestinians like being slaughtered for being gay. I never cease to be amazed by the ability of anti-Zionists to project their own beliefs and prejudices into the heads of Palestinians, who they seem to regard as blank slates sitting around waiting to be told what to think and how to act by more enlightened Westerners.

And as a reminder, since you're kind of losing the thread here....

Neurolimal posted:

second only to Iran in terms of countries a Just USA would and should ally with

In a more perfect world, a 'Just USA' would and should "ally" with Iran. Not, "yeah, Iran is bad too", but that a 'Just USA' should ally with Iran. Would you like to reconsider your opinion that Iran is the sort of country a 'Just USA' would and should ally with, as contrasted by current unjust USA's alliance with those evil human rights abusing Israelis?

VitalSigns posted:

Well they shouldn't kill gay people, but TIC's claim that the occupation is somehow to the benefit of LGBT Palestinians is loving ridiculous.

Wow, a real tirade there against moral injustice. Too bad you had to follow it up with a total fabrication, but whatever you need to push back down the cognitive dissonance that rises from the whole "LGBT Palestinian rights? Booo-ring" thing.

Iowa Snow King posted:

Some really effective use of Whataboutism in this thread. Like, textbook perfect.

Tell me about it, I'm trying to get it through their heads that injustice everywhere needs to be confronted and called out and certain posters think we should stop treating Palestinians like human beings when doing so doesn't become a pretext to criticize Israel.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

I don't understand why you'd post this. What exactly is wrong with this picture, in your opinion? Do you think the US has an obligation to oppose any nation that engages in cruel and unusual punishment?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

The Insect Court posted:

Tell me about it, I'm trying to get it through their heads that injustice everywhere needs to be confronted and called out and certain posters think we should stop treating Palestinians like human beings when doing so doesn't become a pretext to criticize Israel.

I think there are far greater injustices in the world then some people being too eager to condemn an apartheid state that practices colonialism, why aren't you talking about those?

But, oh god, why am I talking about the injustice of condemning those who are too eager to condemn others, there are bigger injustices then that too, also!

Clearly we need to compile a formula that calculates ongoing atrocities + the amount of people harmed by those atrocities + the degree of harm that those atrocities cause + and the amount of attention the world heaps on it. See Syrian Civil War is maybe the worst right now, but people talk about it all the time, so it lowers the time you have to spend on It before you call out Israel. While the Islamic jurisprudence in Maldives is of course an atrocity it is not the same scale as Israel's apartheid laws or its colonialism, so it comes after and requires only say, a half a paragraph of explanation in turn.

I believe we will all be done with the first round of debating under these new rules somewhere around late 2018 with the remainder of this year and the whole of 2016 being dedicated to the appropriate research and ranking.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Sep 27, 2015

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Palestinians are bad because they kill Palestinians who are gay; Israeli are good because they kill Palestinians regardless of their sexuality.

That's what I got from TIC's picture.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The Insect Court posted:

Wow, a real tirade there against moral injustice. Too bad you had to follow it up with a total fabrication, but whatever you need to push back down the cognitive dissonance that rises from the whole "LGBT Palestinian rights? Booo-ring" thing.

Huh? :psyduck: Everyone agreed with you that it's wrong to kill gay people and Palestinians should stop, yet somehow that just means the entire thread is just secretly plotting against the gays?

I don't even disagree with you about this, it would actually be a super-interesting thing to read about and a nice change of pace from the circular arguments of this thread, if you actually have any articles or resources or even any actual interest about LGBT Palestinians besides using them as a justification for continuing to bomb Gaza. What exactly do you want to talk about here beyond "Palestinians bad" ? It would be pretty terrific if you proved me wrong and you actually have some good readings or suggestions or links to proposals or something for addressing LGBT rights in Palestine.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Sep 27, 2015

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Has it even been a month since the gay pride stabbings in Jerusalem against the so-called "abomination parade"?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
It's kinda awesome, because the biggest reasons for the rise of Islamist organizations like Hamas that foster homophobia are the rendering of the PLO and other secular organizations impotent, both through them becoming "collaborationist" and through their inability to develop governmental social services. Clearly, however, Palestinians, like all mud people, hate gays inherently and will always do so, and all of them do so, and so on, and so forth.

EDIT: I mean, apart from the whole "homophobes don't deserve to live", which would render us morally compelled to slaughter a large part of the world, but nobody who implies that will ever have the guts to admit that they did so.

Effectronica fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Sep 27, 2015

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

I think it's hosed how most people only really talk about queer palestinians in the context of some dickneck defending israel by contrasting how hamas/other majority muslim states treat their LGBTQ populace. It's absolutely hosed up and rightly condemned here for example, how the taliban executes gay people but it's never actually meant to condemn the suffering of gay people. If you want to really keep it even steven it should be mentioned how hypocritical the israeli attitude is; turning gay palestinians in the occupied territories into informants in order to stay in the closet doesn't get mentioned for example. I've also heard there's a prevailing attitude some settlers/haredim have expressed in that the only reason gays/people who drive on the sabbath/eat shrimp etc don't get ostracized or executed is simply because of some high halachic councils are no longer occupied/have had their authority eroded, but this is honestly only something I read about in passing last year and if I'm not getting all the facts right about that please correct me because I'm not an expert on halachic jurisprudence.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
The interesting part of this is that by suggesting that Palestinians gaybashing makes them less worthy and means that people shouldn't care about what happens to them, we end up in a moral quandary. After all, Israel does bad things, which means that there wouldn't be anything wrong with the prospective ethnic cleansing that people are sure would happen if Palestine became fully independent. Or at least, less wrong such that nobody should care about it. So in order to resolve this, we must become racist towards Palestinians (declaring them to be inherently less worthy than Israelis), or else determine that Israel is inherently justified in those bad things.

The only way to be morally and intellectually consistent is to accept that doing bad things does not diminish your moral worth, no matter who you are.

And on the other hand, nobody suggests that Ugandans be burned alive with white phosphorus, either.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The only acceptable way in which gay Palestinians can be murdered is with an Israeli airstrike. Doing it this way is cool and good, and claiming the contrary is antisemitic.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Neurolimal posted:

Intolerance of LGBQT minorities in muslim-dominated countries is something to address (ideally when they are stable and healthy). It is disregarded in I/P debates because 1. They are some of the least extremist followers of islam out of many of the middle-eastern nationalities, 2. Neither the West Bank nor the Gaza Strip can significantly impact or change their governments; Abbas and his corrupt officials have long ago halted elections, and are not trustworthy enough to hold honest elections (and have the backing of a country that specializes in surveillances, security, and crowd control). Hamas is essentially the only real government option within the Gaza Strip; there exist other groups, but they are primarily interested in starting poo poo and earning brownie points, like the ISIL retards. Nobody else is willing to actually attempt the sisyphean effort of defending, maintaining, and supporting the Gaza Strip.

A significant (possibly even majority) of the West Bank do not care for Abbas' governance and have no reasonable course to change it, and if you were to stumble into the wreckage of the Gaza Strip and ask about LGBQT rights everyone (straight, gay, bisexual, man, woman) would look at you like you were a jackass.

Substitute in Netanyahu and Israel here and then read it back.

"Palestinian LGBT don't deserve rights because Israel is the bigger problem."

"Palestinians don't deserve rights because Saudi Arabia/ISIS/Assad/etc... are the bigger problem."

Kim Jong Il fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Sep 27, 2015

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Christian school strike in Israel comes to end:

"Under Sunday's settlement, the Education Ministry said it would cancel the funding cuts and allocate a one-time payment of roughly $12.5 million to the Christian community in Israel. In addition, the ministry and Christian schools agreed to form a committee to resolve any remaining areas of disagreement by next March. The Secretariat of Christian Schools in Israel, an umbrella group, confirmed the terms."

The kids are going back to school. :unsmith:

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

VitalSigns posted:

Huh? :psyduck: Everyone agreed with you that it's wrong to kill gay people and Palestinians should stop,

They do? You might want to have a little chat with Neurolimal, who thinks that a "just" United States should ally with Iran. Do you think that?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

The Insect Court posted:

They do? You might want to have a little chat with Neurolimal, who thinks that a "just" United States should ally with Iran. Do you think that?

Yes. Flooding Iran with cultural products that help normalize homosexuality is much surer as a route to a juster Iranian society than whatever dick-swinging no-nonsense bullshit you're implying but will never elucidate. Do you disagree? Maybe you could explain the causal chain between preventing Iran from buying American wheat and greater acceptance of LGBT people.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

"Under Sunday's settlement, the Education Ministry said it would cancel the funding cuts and allocate a one-time payment of roughly $12.5 million to the Christian community in Israel. In addition, the ministry and Christian schools agreed to form a committee to resolve any remaining areas of disagreement by next March. The Secretariat of Christian Schools in Israel, an umbrella group, confirmed the terms."

Silly TIC arguing aside, this is really, really good news :unsmith:

(For anyone who missed this, the Israeli christian school system is one of the few places palestinian children are given equal attention/funding as israeli jewish children. They're pretty unarguably good people.)

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Good to see that there is at least some good happening in Israel. :unsmith:

Also is there any other non westbank stuff happening in Israel?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Crowsbeak posted:

Good to see that there is at least some good happening in Israel. :unsmith:

Also is there any other non westbank stuff happening in Israel?

There's always stuff happening. They're trying to appoint a Chief of Police again, after the last candidate, Gal Hirsch, was met with too much backlash. It's apparently going to be the current Deputy Director of the Shin Bet.

Israel Katz, Minister of Transportation, got into a scuffle with the head of the Civil Aviation Authority over the latter's decision to close the airspace over famous Israeli model Bar Rafaeli's wedding, threatening to fire him if that happens. I think it didn't end up happening, but social media was all over this, sending fake (maybe real, also?) letters to the CAA about this or that event where they were asking planes not to fly over them please.

And oh, hey, Israeli airstrikes at a few Syrian military outposts as a response to several rockets falling in the Golan Heights. What better way to greet the incoming Jewish holiday?

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Absurd Alhazred posted:

There's always stuff happening. They're trying to appoint a Chief of Police again, after the last candidate, Gal Hirsch, was met with too much backlash. It's apparently going to be the current Deputy Director of the Shin Bet.

Israel Katz, Minister of Transportation, got into a scuffle with the head of the Civil Aviation Authority over the latter's decision to close the airspace over famous Israeli model Bar Rafaeli's wedding, threatening to fire him if that happens. I think it didn't end up happening, but social media was all over this, sending fake (maybe real, also?) letters to the CAA about this or that event where they were asking planes not to fly over them please.

And oh, hey, Israeli airstrikes at a few Syrian military outposts as a response to several rockets falling in the Golan Heights. What better way to greet the incoming Jewish holiday?

How much airspace was closed to stop the paparazzi? Because knowing how much space is limited throughout the levant, I can imagine this created alot of hell for Airplanes.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Crowsbeak posted:

How much airspace was closed to stop the paparazzi? Because knowing how much space is limited throughout the levant, I can imagine this created alot of hell for Airplanes.

It's above this one spa in the Carmel Forest, which is quite a bit north of Tel Aviv. I don't think it was on the pathway of any international flights, nor many national ones.

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Sep 27, 2015

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Lol it's funny this whole thing gets brought up in this thread of all places, I actually have an opinion about it!

First, the whole thing about the couple making a request to shut down the airspace to 'protect their privacy' against the paparazzi or some poo poo is a complete fabrication, given that they are self absorbed narcissists they themselves hired a bunch of helicopters and drone mounted cameras and all that jazz to photograph themselves cause that's what rich and beautiful people like to do with their money, as is required by law the companies they hired to do all of these aerial shenanigans informed the CAA about their intentions and asked for the proper permits, which they secured and as is apparently standard procedure in these cases the CAA announced that a swath of airspaces near and around the wedding should not be entered due to the excessive amount of aerial traffic expected in that region during the event, which makes perfect sense.

Now, this whole thing got out and the papers ran with a "Bar Rafaeli is so self absorbed she requested that the airspace above her wedding be closed!" cue a whole bunch of people writing angry posts all over the place cause Bar Refaeli is beautiful and successful and besides she said she was mortified by the photos of dead children in Gaza that one time. So then Minister Katz who is a huge piece of poo poo with too much free time who often gets into personal flamewars with commentators on facebook decided to make a big populistic heist and announce that he vetoes the closure of the airspace above the wedding.

So yeah, the ultra-rich couple were actually the victims of a bullshit smear campaign.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The Insect Court posted:

Why did you cut out the bulk of my post. I asked you what you wanted to say about LGBT Palestinians and what should be done, do you actually want to talk about that or is it a

The Insect Court posted:

"LGBT Palestinian rights? Booo-ring" thing.

?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

I know, right? Drop tables exist and exist for a reason, guys. Learn to use them.

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

"Without justice for the Palestinians there will be no peace in the Middle East."

Kim Jong Il posted:

Substitute in Netanyahu and Israel here and then read it back.

"Palestinian LGBT don't deserve rights because Israel is the bigger problem."

"Palestinians don't deserve rights because Saudi Arabia/ISIS/Assad/etc... are the bigger problem."

Yes, we should all demand Palestinian civil society work on full LGBT rights whilst at the same time supporting an end to the continued illegal occupation.

Of course, using this issue as a fig leaf or a diversion (*edit* as TIC is doing) from the critical issue of the occupation which dehumanises and removes rights from *all* Palestinians is just pinkwashing.

Israel, shining beacon of democracy, could probably take the lead in respecting those right and instead of, say, exploiting Palestinian LGBT status to force LGBTs into very dangerous informant situations, offer them asylum. Or make LGBT right a stipulation in negotiations etc.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
In other news, both Palestinian and Israeli officials are accusing John Kerry of interfering with the peace process to prevent it from moving without American involvement. The State Department denies the accusations, and suggests that they are being scapegoated and blamed for the sides' own reluctance to get involved.

Personally, I suspect there's an element of truth to each side's story. It's not unusual for Kerry to want to have a chance to meet with both sides before he lets them into the same room together, the US definitely wants to maintain control of the peace process and doesn't want to cede it to other countries, and I/P issues have absolutely taken a backseat to the Iran deal in recent months. On the other hand, Abbas could have ignored Kerry's request and met with Netanyahu anyway, but it's not surprising that the two sides aren't really as eager to meet as they seem, considering that the political situation has only deteriorated since last year. Still, it's new and interesting to see them blaming the US instead of each other.

http://www.timesofisrael.com/kerry-reportedly-told-abbas-to-hold-off-on-meeting-netanyahu/

quote:

Kerry reportedly told Abbas to hold off on meeting Netanyahu

In bid to keep Washington in loop, US secretary told PA president to wait until after sit-down at UN General Assembly, officials tell paper

US Secretary of State John Kerry recently prevented a meeting between Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Palestinian leader Mahmoud Abbas from taking place, an Israeli daily reported on Sunday, citing Israeli and Palestinian officials.

The State Department denied the report, which appeared in the Haaretz broadsheet.

Earlier this month Abbas was encouraged by a non-American official to meet with the Israeli prime minister to discuss the stalled peace process, according to unnamed Palestinian and Israeli officials cited by the paper.

The Palestinian Authority president said he would bring up the possibility with the US secretary. Kerry then told him to hold off on any meeting with Netanyahu until after he and Abbas met ahead of the UN General Assembly, scheduled to begin Monday.

Palestinian officials said Kerry sought to ensure American involvement in any peace bid, and therefore asked Abbas to postpone the meeting.

Israeli officials, meanwhile, said Kerry was absorbed in the Iranian nuclear deal and was unable to take on Israeli-Palestinian peace process.

US officials said Kerry intends to dive back into peace talks, but said the Palestinian account was a misrepresentation aimed at deflecting attention away from Abbas’s reluctance to meet Netanyahu.

“The secretary is interested in reengaging on the issue,” a senior US official told Haaretz. “He is talking to a full range of experts and stakeholders to better understand the options as part of our ongoing policy review.”

Kerry and Abbas are both in New York for the UN General Assembly. They are expected to be joined later this week by Netanyahu.

Kerry and Abbas met on Saturday afternoon in New York.

According to Israel Radio, the US secretary sought to persuade the PA president not to drop his promised “bombshell” in his Wednesday address at the UN General Assembly.

Abbas has said he will make an important announcement in his speech, but has not elaborated.

Netanyahu will address the UN General Assembly on Thursday, a day after the PA president.

Earlier this month, Netanyahu said he was willing to meet Abbas “right now” to resume peace negotiations without preconditions.

Secret contacts between Netanyahu and Abbas have been taking place for several months, according to recent reports, including in The Times of Israel. Those reports have been denied by both the PMO and chief Palestinian negotiator Saeb Erekat.

American officials, meanwhile have indicated that intensive engagement on the peace process would be resumed after the Iran Deal was inked.

Nine months of US-brokered peace talks between Israel and the Palestinians fell apart in April 2014 amid mutual recriminations.

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth

Main Paineframe posted:

In other news, both Palestinian and Israeli officials are accusing John Kerry of interfering with the peace process to prevent it from moving without American involvement. The State Department denies the accusations, and suggests that they are being scapegoated and blamed for the sides' own reluctance to get involved.

Personally, I suspect there's an element of truth to each side's story. It's not unusual for Kerry to want to have a chance to meet with both sides before he lets them into the same room together, the US definitely wants to maintain control of the peace process and doesn't want to cede it to other countries, and I/P issues have absolutely taken a backseat to the Iran deal in recent months. On the other hand, Abbas could have ignored Kerry's request and met with Netanyahu anyway, but it's not surprising that the two sides aren't really as eager to meet as they seem, considering that the political situation has only deteriorated since last year. Still, it's new and interesting to see them blaming the US instead of each other.

http://www.timesofisrael.com/kerry-reportedly-told-abbas-to-hold-off-on-meeting-netanyahu/

It has for a long time been almost impossible to interfere in the "peace process" without every move being blessed by the US, even if you happen to actually be one of the negotiating parties. It's so tightly controlled that the US will dole out punishments to whoever even attempts to do it.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Svartvit posted:

It has for a long time been almost impossible to interfere in the "peace process" without every move being blessed by the US, even if you happen to actually be one of the negotiating parties. It's so tightly controlled that the US will dole out punishments to whoever even attempts to do it.

Considering how Israeli Operations go, it makes sense for them to keep an iron grip on the peace proccess, seeing as it's the most important part of I/P PR for the average person. It would only take one "accidental" leak of an unregulated Netanyahu's demands (a napkin with an ICBM flanked by an iron dome on each side scribbled) to pour support and pretenses down the drain.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Abbas is saying that he will no longer abide by the Oslo Accords since Israel has repeatedly violated them. Will be interesting to see what comes out of this.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Welp.

Jpost posted:

A Palestinian gunman shot dead two Israeli parents in a shooting attack on their vehicle in Samaria, between Elon Moreh and Itamar on Thursday night; Four of their young children survived the attack without injury and were rescued by emergency responders from the bullet-ridden vehicle.

Magen David Adom paramedics and IDF units pulled the children out of the car near the Palestinian village of Beit Furik, and paramedics declared the parents dead on the scene after failing to detect vital signs.

A 4-month-old baby, a 4-year-old boy, a seven-year-old boy and a nine-year old boy survived the attack without physical injury, after witnessing their parents being shot dead before their eyes.

Boaz Malka, a MADA paramedic who arrive on the scene, said, "It was a very difficult scene. We saw a car in the middle of the road, and next to it, a man in his 30s lay on the ground with upper body gunshot wounds. Inside the car a woman sat, with severe upper body wounds.

They had no vital signs and to our sorrow we had to declare them dead on the scene.

The IDF was sweeping the area for suspects.

In light of the shooting, right-wing politicians accused Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas's incitement for the attack, which came a day after he threatened to stop abiding by all agreements with Israel in a fiery speech to the United Nations General Assembly.

Likud Minister Miri Regev said, "24 hours after the violent speech of the arch-murderer Abu Mazen [Abbas], a husband and wife were killed in Israel."

She called on Israel to take harsher steps against Palestinian terror.

Education Minister Naftali Bennett (Bayit Yehudi) said that Abbas's "call to arms was taken up tonight in Israel, and it is red with blood."

Bennett added that "A people whose leaders encourage murder will never have a state, and this must be made clear. Now the time of talking is done and the time for action has come."

Meanwhile, Hamas praised the "heroic terror attack" and called for more "quality attacks."

The group said that "Zionists will pay the price for [Prime Minister Benjamin] Netanyahu's criminal policies everywhere."

Is it still gauche to ask what the gently caress these parents were doing bringing their children into the Occupied Territories in the first place?

Edit: I mean, I know the answer is that they're pea-brained pricks who don't think twice about their part in the Israeli state's oppression of the Palestinian people, but still.

Cugel the Clever fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Oct 1, 2015

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Cugel the Clever posted:

Welp.

Is it still gauche to ask what the gently caress these parents were doing bringing their children into the Occupied Territories in the first place?

Edit: I mean, I know the answer is that they're pea-brained pricks who don't think twice about their part in the Israeli state's oppression of the Palestinian people, but still.

Most settlements in the West Bank are towns and cities, which include families, and therefore, children, who do not need to be brought "into" anywhere. I imagine they brought their children along in the car the same reason you would bring your children along to visit your aunt and uncle. It's the Jewish High Holidays, and many people travel around there to have dinner with family and friends, which is why that is also a time in which Palestinians are under increased curfew. I guess curfew didn't work.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Cugel the Clever posted:

Welp.

Did you also support the 9/11 attacks, because the people working in the World Trade Center weren't thinking twice about whatever oppression bin Laden had his panties in a bunch about? Celebrating or excusing the deaths of unarmed civilians is every bit as "gauche" when pro-Palestine types do it as it is when pro-Israel types do it.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Most settlements in the West Bank are towns and cities, which include families, and therefore, children, who do not need to be brought "into" anywhere. I imagine they brought their children along in the car the same reason you would bring your children along to visit your aunt and uncle. It's the Jewish High Holidays, and many people travel around there to have dinner with family and friends, which is why that is also a time in which Palestinians are under increased curfew. I guess curfew didn't work.

I'm not saying those civilians actively perpetuating the system of Apartheid by living in illegal settlements are legitimate targets of violent attack, but the onus should be on the Israeli state for the violence it has created.

Edit: Why are the Palestinians under curfew in their lands? For the convenience of their occupiers?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Cugel the Clever posted:

I'm not saying those civilians actively perpetuating the system of Apartheid by living in illegal settlements are legitimate targets of violent attack, but the onus should be on the Israeli state for the violence it has created.

Edit: Why are the Palestinians under curfew in their lands? For the convenience of their occupiers?

I'm not justifying Israeli policy, I'm providing context which would make it clear why the question of why those children were brought into the West Bank is ill advised, and for why civilians would feel comfortable driving alone on a road in the West Bank in general.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Cugel the Clever posted:

Israel is in the wrong for occupying the Palestinian Territories and should withdraw. It's occupation will and has brought about countless attacks spurred on by an attempt to end the occupation

All of this is correct, but the way you're approaching and only talking about the above points means you are presenting your point of view in a manner which seems to minimise the responsibility on the part of the Palestinian militant. They shot dead unarmed civilians. This is very wrong, criminal and unconscionable regardless of the incitement of the occupation.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
So the next step is bombing Gaza, right? That's generally what happens after Israeli are killed in the West Bank.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Cat Mattress posted:

So the next step is bombing Gaza, right? That's generally what happens after Israeli are killed in the West Bank.

Depends on the organization whoever they accuse of having done this came from. If it's Al Aqsa Martyrs Brigade or anything associated with Fatah, we can expect attacks on Palestinian Authority targets, and a dissolution of the security arrangements will now be blamed on this attack and not on the PA having nothing to show for years of collaboration.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Cugel the Clever posted:

Israel is 100% wrong for their system of occupation and constant encroachment onto Palestinian lands like some kinda lovely zionist creep from starcraft.

It's also 100% wrong to just gun down some randos who happen to be in those settlements. In this situation both the government of Israel was wrong to create this environment in the first place, and this guy was wrong to murder random people. This, like many things in the adult world, can have multiple people who are wrong to different degrees. Doing dumb 'I'm not saying they deserved it for being there but they deserved it for being there' edgelord poo poo doesn't really advance any conversation, it just lets you feel like a cool guy I guess.

Like, let's pretend you are actually right and literally every Jew in a settlement is equally fair game to kill justifiably, it's one of those things that saying it out loud probably doesn't really help anything and just serves to inflame emotions and make the actual conversation harder.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Cat Mattress posted:

Don't get ahead of yourself, first there has to be the obligatory ransacking and bulldozing of Palestinian villages by the IDF:

Story here

JPost posted:

The IDF ordered four battalions to join existing military forces in the West Bank in the wake of a terror attack in which an Israeli couple was shot and killed. The decision was made following a security evaluation held by IDF General Staff on Thursday night...

The first of the extra units will begin arriving on Friday, to assist in searches for the terrorists and ensure IDF control of the area, and prevent a deterioration of the security situation.

The main focus of this stage of the defense establishment's response will be on the intelligence front, a senior IDF said.

"There is certainly a change of atmosphere on the ground," the source said.

"The Shin Bet is carrying out a large range of activities, intelligence activities, to place our hands on the terrorists," the source added.

Additionally, the IDF will surround a number of Palestinian villages in the vicinity of the attack to help the hunt for the terrorists.
Then the IDF kidnaps a bunch of Palestinian men, Hamas gets huffy and fires a symbolic rocket or two, and Israelis start setting up lawn chairs for watching the atrocious collective punishment that will be the inevitable response.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
I have planted and am nurturing a fig tree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I made the mistake of listening to an interview on a progressive radio show with noted hack Michael Oren this morning. Even worse, it was almost an hour long.

• Locked thread