Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

RatHat posted:

Except there's no indication that it wouldn't work with a child pilot. It's just that Skullface wanted to control it directly through Mantis instead.
There's no rational reason to believe Sahelanthropus is fully functional when it is always seen with Mantis present when it's walking erect. Even if Eli is piloting it in 51, the odds are extremely good that Mantis is contributing to the operation in a significant fashion (in the cutscene, he appears before Eli is shown in the cockpit). Given how Mantis works, the very fact that Eli wants to fight Venom with Sahelanthropus means Mantis's will is bent toward allowing Eli to do so. If Eli thinks some random button whips out the flame sword, Mantis makes that happen. I sincerely doubt Eli just figured out how to make it all work on his own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Nakar posted:

If Eli thinks some random button whips out the flame sword, Mantis makes that happen. I sincerely doubt Eli just figured out how to make it all work on his own.
This explains the hell out of his piloting of REX. Ghost Mantis was doing the hard poo poo while Liquid pressed random buttons.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Nakar posted:

However even miniaturized the AI took up too much space for an adult pilot, hence Huey's wacky and world's-greatest-dad plan to have a child pilot it instead. But that also didn't work, or he never got around to trying it before Strangelove sent away Hal and died. Either way Skull Face figured out it didn't work but once he had Mantis he knew he could fake it enough that it didn't matter if it worked.

Huey admits that he put Hal in the Metal Gear when Ocelot confronts him about it, but he says that Hal "wanted to go in." Regardless of whether or not that was true, he still couldn't get it to work before Strangelove found out what he was doing with their son.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Huey admits that he put Hal in the Metal Gear when Ocelot confronts him about it, but he says that Hal "wanted to go in." Regardless of whether or not that was true, he still couldn't get it to work before Strangelove found out what he was doing with their son.

I'm sure Hal wanted to go in, just like Strangelove wanted to go into the mammal pod.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

IIRC Huey was on his way to getting Sahelanthropus to walk upright properly but Skull Face cut his "funding" (STAIRS) before he was able to get to that point. That's about when you rescue him.

Remember, Huey wasn't the AI guy--that was Strangelove. He was probably having to reverse-engineer her work on Peace Walker and the other AI weapons and piece together his own. I'm pretty sure he even mentions something about that in a roundabout way when talking about how Sahelanthropus can't walk upright yet thanks to its balance-AI being... absent.

Snak posted:

I'm sure Hal wanted to go in, just like Strangelove wanted to go into the mammal pod.

Think about this for a moment and both of these statements are actually probably true. Little kid loves giant robots, of course he'd want to go in. Strangelove loves the Boss, so of course she'd want to go in! It's just staying in there that's the problem. Forever.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Regardless, we'll never know if the project could've been successful in competent hands because Huey is the exact opposite of "competent hands" and he killed the competent person working with him.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
Wouldn't Hal have been like 3 years old when Huey shoved him in there?

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Lloyd Boner posted:

Four. Yes, this was Huey's great idea. Huey is not a good scientist, engineer, father, or human being.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Snak posted:

Strangelove probably did go into the mammal pod on her own, whether to tweak the AI or sulk. She definitely didn't lock herself in there on her own though.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Lloyd Boner posted:

yeah, max. Hal was born in 1980, and they found Strangelove's body in 84, but it was at least 10 months old then, so if Huey locked her in their as soon as she found out about him putting Hal in Sahelanthropus, Hal would have been like 3 and some change.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Nakar posted:

Regardless, we'll never know if the project could've been successful in competent hands because Huey is the exact opposite of "competent hands" and he killed the competent person working with him.

Say what you will about Huey being an rear end in a top hat, but I would hardly call him incompetent. His legs are a pretty good invention in their own right and he does develop the Battle Gear.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
What did Huey even think a toddler was going to do piloting Sahelanthropus? I mean Eli at least is old enough to be able to make conscious decisions and angry enough to be willing to gently caress poo poo up with a giant robot, what was Little Hal gonna do, stare at the pretty lights and push things at random?

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Nakar posted:

What did Huey even think a toddler was going to do piloting Sahelanthropus? I mean Eli at least is old enough to be able to make conscious decisions and angry enough to be willing to gently caress poo poo up with a giant robot, what was Little Hal gonna do, stare at the pretty lights and push things at random?

I'd say most 3-year-olds are capable of following basic instructions, but I'd assume he was moreso just testing that a child could fit inside and pilot it comfortably or something while brazenly ignoring the fact that he was putting his own son in the cockpit of a walking tank. That seems more Huey than actually using Hal to test weapons systems or something. Casual, extraordinary negligence.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
The "Why You Always Lying Song," starring Ocelot and featuring Huey.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Snak posted:

yeah, max. Hal was born in 1980, and they found Strangelove's body in 84, but it was at least 10 months old then, so if Huey locked her in their as soon as she found out about him putting Hal in Sahelanthropus, Hal would have been like 3 and some change.

It's weird to think that Otacon was 25 during the Shadow Moses Incident, his codec picture looks haggard as poo poo

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Also, the idea that they couldn't make the cockpit so that and adult could fit is the funniest excuse in history. Like, you make a giant death robot with a 100ft railgun, a bunch of missile launchers, a weird anime earth-bending sword, but there was no way you could make room for an adult pilot in this hundred-meter-tall robot. And like, that wasn't a "back-to-drawing-board" design flaw, instead they were just going to use a child pilot.

what.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Come to think of it though, it's obvious that Huey lives through his "exile" because we know he later kills himself thanks to Otacon... but what does he do in the meantime? Doesn't that imply he finds Otacon and leads a relatively normal life? Did he just stop working on giant death-machines? He "made it" enough to get married, at the very least.

Party Boat posted:

It's weird to think that Otacon was 25 during the Shadow Moses Incident, his codec picture looks haggard as poo poo

This is a "problem" with a lot of characters in the series: they look about 20-30 years older than they actually are.

Snak posted:

Also, the idea that they couldn't make the cockpit so that and adult could fit is the funniest excuse in history. Like, you make a giant death robot with a 100ft railgun, a bunch of missile launchers, a weird anime earth-bending sword, but there was no way you could make room for an adult pilot in this hundred-meter-tall robot. And like, that wasn't a "back-to-drawing-board" design flaw, instead they were just going to use a child pilot.

what.

I'd assume this goes back to the issue of Huey being the robot man, Strangelove being the AI lady. Huey designed Sahelanthropus to be like this, then Strangelove drops the bomb on him of "that's not gonna fit." Then, of course, he murdered her later so I'd say that put a hamper on him redesigning the chassis to fit the AI pods.

Colapops fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Oct 1, 2015

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Colapops posted:

Come to think of it though, it's obvious that Huey lives through his "exile" because we know he later kills himself thanks to Otacon... but what does he do in the meantime? Doesn't that imply he finds Otacon and leads a relatively normal life? Did he just stop working on giant death-machines? He "made it" enough to get married, at the very least.

He almost certainly worked for the Patriots? probably the real BB just scooped him up and was like, "hi, look familiar? you work for me now"

Also, I know people were talking about this earlier, and I knew it was happening conceptually and story-wise, but I just saw last night that there is literally a "persuasion" bar on guys in the brig. When it gets full, they join you. REAL SUBTLE.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Colapops posted:

He probably weaseled his way into some tech industry stuff. He might've also ingratiated himself to The Patriots, since as Kaz points out he's likely to slander and betray Diamond Dogs as soon as he's to safety. If Ocelot can make himself look useful as an agent of The Patriots, Huey can probably convince them that he's not in good with the people who kicked him out.

BurnBlackJay
May 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Colapops posted:

This is a "problem" with a lot of characters in the series: they look about 20-30 years older than they actually are.

Yeah but Otacon isn't a rapidly aging clone... OR IS HE??

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
What the christ.

edit:

Colapops posted:

I'd assume this goes back to the issue of Huey being the robot man, Strangelove being the AI lady. Huey designed Sahelanthropus to be like this, then Strangelove drops the bomb on him of "that's not gonna fit." Then, of course, he murdered her later so I'd say that put a hamper on him redesigning the chassis to fit the AI pods.
Yeah just make it's loving head bigger. He made battle gear in a weekend out of like, 70 machine-guns that I fultoned.

Snak fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Oct 1, 2015

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Why didn't the USSR ever actually approach Granin to work on his REX designs? The Shagohod was destroyed, the US was delevoping AI weapons, and a mercenary group would end up getting their own Metal Gears (two of them!), and here they were sitting on the progenitor of all of that.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Why didn't the USSR ever actually approach Granin to work on his REX designs? The Shagohod was destroyed, the US was delevoping AI weapons, and a mercenary group would end up getting their own Metal Gears (two of them!), and here they were sitting on the progenitor of all of that.

Granin was dead by that point.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Funky Valentine posted:

Granin was dead by that point.

By Peace Walker?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

By Peace Walker?

Granin dies in MGS3. Volgin puts him in a drum and beats the living poo poo out of him.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure Russian abandoned nuclear tank research for gunship specialization.

"A Hind D! What's an Enemy Gunship doing here?! A single burst from it's machine gun can tear a man in half!"

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
And yet you can eat a single burst from the choppers in MGS5 and not die. Ocelot's way overselling them.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Nakar posted:

And yet you can eat a single burst from the choppers in MGS5 and not die. Ocelot's way overselling them.

A single burst can tear a man in half.

They're no match for a legend.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Snak posted:

what.

Huey explains this actually. If he made the head any heavier then he's also have to increases the legs which would throw off all his calculations and the robot wouldn't work at all.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

RatHat posted:

Huey explains this actually. If he made the head any heavier then he's also have to increases the legs which would throw off all his calculations and the robot wouldn't work at all.

yes but that's retarded. Take the machine-guns off the head.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Snak posted:

yes but that's retarded. Take the machine-guns off the head.

If your going to sacrifice cool for practicality you probably wouldn't have made a giant nuclear bipedal robot in the first place.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Huey trash-talks Peace Walker but it's the only Metal Gear so far that ever came close to actually loving launching its nuke.

He must have that problem where you're never satisfied with what you created.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Or he's a tremendous piece of poo poo who can't accept he needs help to make his giant anime death machines

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Speedball posted:

Huey trash-talks Peace Walker but it's the only Metal Gear so far that ever came close to actually loving launching its nuke.

He must have that problem where you're never satisfied with what you created.

GANDER would like to have a word with you :colbert:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Luna Was Here posted:

Or he's a tremendous piece of poo poo who can't accept he needs help to make his giant anime death machines

This is also possible. Paz modified ZEKE to have a functional cockpit and I'm pretty sure Huey ripped off her idea when he mentions that the cockpit of Sahalanthropus was going to be water-filled too. Then he has the gall to say "Don't compare me to that amateur." rear end in a top hat, HER Metal Gear loving WORKED without psychic assistance.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

how did those kids fix the giant robot

how did no one notice those kids fixing the giant robot

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

where did they get the depleted uranium

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

lets hang out posted:

how did those kids fix the giant robot

how did no one notice those kids fixing the giant robot

Huey figured that if a child was to pilot the giant hell robot, he should make it so that a child could fix the giant hell robot.

Alternately Sahelanthropus's insides are literally LEGOs.

• Locked thread