Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I upgraded anyway because it's probably one of my most-used apps. Tweetbot 4 is real pretty and the Activity page is going to be super useful. That was kind of a glaring omission in Tweetbot 3.

Isn't this the same company that was supposed to update their ipad app in 2012 for free? Isn't this also the first update to the app offered since that announcement?

I really just want to know how angry and vocal Tweetbot users are going to be over the next few weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

This is the only choice for Twitter that is even remotely decently good. There will be no outrage because there are no alternatives. That is the reason the company can act like lovely turds.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Oct 1, 2015

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

XyrlocShammypants posted:

This is the only choice for Twitter that is even remotely decently good. There will be no outrage because there are no alternatives. That is the reason the company can act like lovely turds.

Choice for Twitter on iPad*

Twitteriffic is nice on iPhone. The official Twitter app is also not terrible. iPad was a barren wasteland of bad garbage until now.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Legs Benedict posted:

Choice for Twitter on iPad*

Twitteriffic is nice on iPhone. The official Twitter app is also not terrible. iPad was a barren wasteland of bad garbage until now.

Let's be honest, on iPhone even Tweetbot 3 was way better than either of those things you listed.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Neurophonic posted:

Tweetbot 4 is out, $5 for upgrade, or $5 rising to $10 after a launch period for new users.

How does an upgrade price work? I didn't think Apple's App Store could offer two different price points for the same app. Is it an in app purchase?

Fake edit: Ah ha. That's actually pretty clever.

quote:

After the price returns to $10, an App Store bundle containing both Tweetbot 3 and Tweetbot 4 will be made available. While it won’t appeal to most people, users who already own Tweetbot 3 can use the “complete my bundle” option to get the remaining apps (in this case, Tweetbot 4) by paying only the price of the bundle minus the price of Tweetbot 3. The bundle will be priced at $10 so that this comes out to $4.99, meaning users with Tweetbot 3 will always have the option of upgrading for half of the regular price.

Real edit:

Kaizoku posted:

Isn't this the same company that was supposed to update their ipad app in 2012 for free? Isn't this also the first update to the app offered since that announcement?

I really just want to know how angry and vocal Tweetbot users are going to be over the next few weeks.

I'm disappointed, but in no way surprised. Tapbot has always been about squeezing as much money as they can out of Tweetbot. I don't necessarily blame them for that, since their other product is a pale shadow compared to PCalc. And they really did put a ton of work into the new version.

There will be a vocal minority, but I think most people won't care enough to bitch, because it is such a vast improvement.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Oct 1, 2015

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

Let's be honest, on iPhone even Tweetbot 3 was way better than either of those things you listed.

I strongly disagree

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Unless they make a bundle that includes TB3, TB2 for iPad and TB4 and then let me “upgrade” to TB4 for $.99 or something, they don’t have my sale. I may tweet them about this to see what they say.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

bobfather posted:

Unless they make a bundle that includes TB3, TB2 for iPad and TB4 and then let me “upgrade” to TB4 for $.99 or something, they don’t have my sale. I may tweet them about this to see what they say.

I too think that $1 is a fair price for many man hours of labor

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

What does it change/improve?

Their profits.

I Kid. Maybe.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

bobfather posted:

Get a load of this guy. I would post the get a load of this guy cam GIF but this is a grey forum and jokes aren't allowed.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I still have a bunch of iTunes credit and since I don't need to buy music anymore, there's not a whole lot else to spend it on.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Kaizoku posted:

Is some of this Twitter still being shitheads to developers with the access token limit, or is this just a $$$ grab? Twitter in general are giant assholes towards third party developers who want to come up with a better experience.

EDIT:

If I knew I could only ever sell 50-60 thousand copies of my app because of people using things on multiple devices, etc. I'd probably be pretty stingy about charging for upgrades.

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Oct 1, 2015

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Legs Benedict posted:

It is pretty lovely to anyone who bought it between 2012 and late September, 2015. But, that's why you don't purchase software for what it will become. Maybe TweetBot 5 will be a kickstarter with backer rewards and stretch-goal features.

flosofl posted:

I'm disappointed, but in no way surprised. Tapbot has always been about squeezing as much money as they can out of Tweetbot. I don't necessarily blame them for that, since their other product is a pale shadow compared to PCalc. And they really did put a ton of work into the new version.

There will be a vocal minority, but I think most people won't care enough to bitch, because it is such a vast improvement.

I found that the only real way I interact with twitter is from bitlbee, the service itself just doesn't fit into how I interact with technology otherwise. So, basically, Prompt is my ios twitter client of choice. I hear decent things about that one that looks like an-honest-to-god-CRT-terminal, but eew.

Edit: /\/\/\ Could be, but if it were wouldn't they announce that to deflect the blame?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Legs Benedict posted:

Actually yeah, $.99 is what I paid for TB1 and TB2 iPad. I paid $2.99 for TB3. You’re saying TB4 is somehow worth more than 1, 2, and 3 combined? Laughin my buns off.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I got a really good Twitter client I used for three years for $5 or whatever. I'm not sure why I should feel upset about having to pay another $5 for something I use daily. If they start doing annual paid updates, I *might* start to see an issue. People who bought it this year might have a legitimate complaint, I suppose.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

bobfather posted:

Actually yeah, $.99 is what I paid for TB1 and TB2 iPad. I paid $2.99 for TB3. You’re saying TB4 is somehow worth more than 1, 2, and 3 combined? Laughin my buns off.

An iPhone is $650

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Avocados posted:

Have third party keyboards improved in the past couple of months? I keep trying to return to Swiftkey but there's still crashing and refusing to load and all that jazz.

Swiftkey is a little goofy on my 5c whenever I use spotlight. However i've had way less crashes and bugs compared to iOS 8. In case anyone is curious for a trip report.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

The Devil Tesla posted:

An iPhone is $650

So what? I also bought the iTunes credit for 35% off, meaning TB4 would only really cost me $3.24 + tax.

I personally am just not willing to reinforce bad behavior by paying full price for an app that could and should have been universal when version 3 was released.

If you are willing to reinforce that behavior, definitely enjoy paying again for TB5 in a year or two! Me, I’ll wait for the inevitable price drop because TB3 and Twitterific still work great!

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

bobfather posted:

So what? I also bought the iTunes credit for 35% off, meaning TB4 would only really cost me $3.24 + tax.

I personally am just not willing to reinforce bad behavior by paying full price for an app that could and should have been universal when version 3 was released.

If you are willing to reinforce that behavior, definitely enjoy paying again for TB5 in a year or two! Me, I’ll wait for the inevitable price drop because TB3 and Twitterific still work great!

I've just stolen $5 from your wallet.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

The Devil Tesla posted:

I've just stolen $5 from your wallet.

You bad man.

Also don’t feel too bad. I rarely buy apps unless they go on sale. This week it was Out There Omega Edition, Legend of Grimrock, and Sorcery 3, all for $.99 a piece.

Edit: and Horizon Chase just now.

bobfather fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Oct 1, 2015

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011
Am I reading this correctly on Reddit or is it typical Reddit, but is TweetBot 3 not available to those who purchased it? I don't have it so I can't check, but if you use 3 and choose to not update to 4 can you still reinstall 3 or is it gone?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Why would I pay $5 for tweetbot when the official client is free? Serious question from a not serious Twitter user.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
had a drama free Tweetbot buying experience

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Boris Galerkin posted:

Why would I pay $5 for tweetbot when the official client is free? Serious question from a not serious Twitter user.

Twitter constantly makes changes to their service in order that back away from the idea of a simple one to many messaging service to one that they can sell more ads on. Twitter clients freeze Twitter to be like what it was about five years ago where it's just your timeline, your @s, and your private messages. It is a product you buy instead of one where you're being sold. And yea, there's no ads.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
Looks pretty similar to Tweetbot 3 and they didn't add any 3D touch functionality so I think I'll skip it for now

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Bought Tweetbot 4, cuz the tapbots guys make cool poo poo and I want to support them. Maybe it's a placebo, but 4 seems smoother

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

The Devil Tesla posted:

Twitter constantly makes changes to their service in order that back away from the idea of a simple one to many messaging service to one that they can sell more ads on. Twitter clients freeze Twitter to be like what it was about five years ago where it's just your timeline, your @s, and your private messages. It is a product you buy instead of one where you're being sold. And yea, there's no ads.

I guess that last sentence where you say Twitter isn't just my timeline, @s, and DMs anymore is where I'm too old for this because I thought this is exactly what Twitter is and that's how I use it. Like I literally can not think of any more functionality that's required than seeing my timeline and seeing who included me in a tweet.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
I'm not buying it because the official client is fine for what little I use Twitter, but if you develop a popular app and don't charge the people who willingly throw money at you, you're an idiot, so good for the Tapbots guys, I guess.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Boris Galerkin posted:

I guess that last sentence where you say Twitter isn't just my timeline, @s, and DMs anymore is where I'm too old for this because I thought this is exactly what Twitter is and that's how I use it. Like I literally can not think of any more functionality that's required than seeing my timeline and seeing who included me in a tweet.

There isn't, unless you're Twitter the company and want to make money. This is why people use clients, even though they technically do less because they don't have access to all of Twitter's functions.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

Boris Galerkin posted:

Lists. Being able to group the people you follow into lists, then view a version of your timeline that's just, say, sports-related tweets, or current events, or breweries, etc.

I'll kinda piggyback on this comment though and ask what Tweetbot does that Twitterrific does not do, or does not do as well? Given how great Twitterrific has been for me since switching over to an iphone a year ago, I'm actually surprised there's another client out there people seem to be fawning over even more.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
When I click a link in Tweebot now and it opens the browser, it's using Safari's content blockers now, right?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

hadji murad posted:

When I click a link in Tweebot now and it opens the browser, it's using Safari's content blockers now, right?
Yes, it's using Safariview, so content blockers should work.

ArcaneMan
Nov 2, 2004
uh oh

hadji murad posted:

Confirmed on iPhone and iPad.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

wattershed posted:

Lists. Being able to group the people you follow into lists, then view a version of your timeline that's just, say, sports-related tweets, or current events, or breweries, etc.

I'll kinda piggyback on this comment though and ask what Tweetbot does that Twitterrific does not do, or does not do as well? Given how great Twitterrific has been for me since switching over to an iphone a year ago, I'm actually surprised there's another client out there people seem to be fawning over even more.
It's a bit out of the way, but if you go to the Me tab, then the settings cog, you can get to your Lists from there in the official app.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Nope, I've been using Twitterific on iPad for the last 2 years, as Tweetbot for iPad wasn't updated since 2012 or something*. iOS6 level. It is pretty great, and having now used Tweetbot 4 for a while, doesn't seem any worse at all in any functional way. That said, I do like the minimal aesthetic on TB4.

* This despite repeated promises of a free upgrade for iPad users since iOS7 came out.
And the obvious fact that precise same code used for the iPhone version of Tweetbot 3 would've worked fine on iPad (and does if you jailbreak and force it to fullscreen).

Having a separate iPad version of any app is bullshit, and was from the start.

bobfather posted:

I don't have a problem with paying for new versions of software, though clearly it's better for all if there's a way to offer the new version as a reduced price upgrade. I just wish the iPad wasn't denied Tweetbot for 3 years due to incompetence or greed.

Also, for any Tweetbot 3 users who're currently restoring from an iCloud backup - they can't even download it right now as it's removed from the store - which is lovely.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

One compelling reason to stay on TB3: when browsing webviews TB3 lets you swipe from screen edge left to right to go back to your tweets. TB4 makes you push the “back to” at screen top left, which is hard to reach on a 6s+. Using reachability to get to it is just slow.

Obviously TB3 doesn’t benefit from ad blocking, but I prefer the swipe back behavior over seeing an occasional ad, personally.

Also, I think when iOS 9 is jailbroken someone will be able to code a tweak to replace all webviews with the iOS 9-type views.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I don't know why I ever rush to upgrade Tweetbot, but yet I do it. Their initial releases are always pretty buggy.

For now I'll just keep using Tweetbot 3. In particular, I really dislike how the Safari View Controller works. I open a link and then swipe to go back constantly, and that doesn't work in TB4, and can't be fixed.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Since I installed Purify, and for the first time I can even remember in two years, I am getting popups when (for example) clicking trusted links from Google searches. Aside from getting a 6S, nothing has changed. I don't browse unsafe sites and I don't install goofy apps. I don't even have any games installed yet. Is anyone else actually seeing more obnoxious popups, but fewer in page advertisements, with content blockers?

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
Looks like Tapbots is considering supporting both SVC and their original browser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Seems like setting the browser to Safari and using the 3D touch swipe shortcut works nicely.