Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
That too, yes. Warpath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

frajaq posted:

So what other board games can poor tyranid players use their models in? :smith:

Do you have any large units (Carnifexes, Hive Tyrants, etc)? There's this cool game called Paperweight!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I guess you can use them to play Starship Troopers? Does anyone still play that? I heard it was ok!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Ashcans posted:

I guess you can use them to play Starship Troopers? Does anyone still play that? I heard it was ok!

Andy Chambers has said it was meant to be a new 40K (don't remember what edition it was meant to be) but was canned for the old familiar system. Then he was hired to do Starship Troopers and used the system for that.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Someone in the Gundam thread was kind enough to post a translation of the Gundam Barbatos model kit manual, which includes new information about the main character of Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans.

-Mikazuki Augus: boarded the Barbatos when Gjallarhorn attacked the CGS HQ facility then became its pilot. He has received the Alaya-Vijnana(storehouse consciousness concept from Buddhism) System surgical treatment 3 times and still returned alive. This system grants excellent spatial awareness and since ancient MS require rapport from an Organic Device Sytem, compatibility with Barbatos is very good. Inspired by Gjallarhorn attack, he participates with the mobilized children including Orga Itsuka in starting up Tekkadan. He has never been to school and can't read properly.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

krushgroove posted:

Andy Chambers has said it was meant to be a new 40K (don't remember what edition it was meant to be) but was canned for the old familiar system. Then he was hired to do Starship Troopers and used the system for that.

It was meant to be 4th edition I think. Or possibly 3rd? I don't really remember and the story seems to change every few years.

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?
5th. 4th was as far as you could reasonably take the core 40k rules before they started to really strain at the seams. 4th was Andy Chambers, 5th was Alessio.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Daedleh posted:

5th. 4th was as far as you could reasonably take the core 40k rules before they started to really strain at the seams. 4th was Andy Chambers, 5th was Alessio.

When I got out of 40k it was right at/before the 4th ed rollout and I remember people saying that Starship Troopers was going to be the salvation of mini gaming.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Yeah you can sub Tyranids in for Plague, they're going to get infested walkers and tanks and planes you could easily sub in the big Nid beasts or your custom genestealer IG counts-as army

And what it looks like if you use all 3 selections to get 2 Enforcers and 1 Interceptor battlegroups for ~2000 points

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Oct 1, 2015

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?

bunnielab posted:

When I got out of 40k it was right at/before the 4th ed rollout and I remember people saying that Starship Troopers was going to be the salvation of mini gaming.

It felt like it. It was a solid game system compared to 40k. By now it would probably be considered an average game system, but back then it was just an amazing breath of fresh air. 2 actions per unit, reactions if you finish within a certain range, roll versus your stat to hit, then versus their stat to wound rather than comparing tables etc. Lots of things led to it not taking off but inconsistent minis and shoddy release dates were a big hold up, then Mongoose decided not to extend the license before it had gotten started.

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.

NTRabbit posted:

And what it looks like if you use all 3 selections to get 2 Enforcers and 1 Interceptor battlegroups for ~2000 points

OK to the uninitiated that may look like a good deal but the level of professional pride and good gaming you will get out of 428 models will be much less then the fun you will have getting 4 hive tyrants or a few sisters of battle for the same amount and experiencing the real joy that comes from forging narratives in a battle-tested nearly perfect minis game.

Except I guess we're assuming a new player and knock 135 bucks off that for rules and make an army of one and a half hive tyrants or 5 centurians or what the gently caress ever. Still proportionally it will be the best life lesson you can teach yourself in having fun.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

I think I remember Mongoose having a 10-15mm fantasy game with ready-made boxed armies and optional booster packs, what happened to that?

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Sold to an American company.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
A guy from our LGS came by the club last night. He wanted to use the club for intro and demo games of AoS and 40k and we basically told him they should stock the games we actually play instead. He left with a list of stuff to order from PP.

The shop have sold 7-8 starter sets of AoS out of the 16 they bought from GW.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

NTRabbit posted:

Yeah you can sub Tyranids in for Plague, they're going to get infested walkers and tanks and planes you could easily sub in the big Nid beasts or your custom genestealer IG counts-as army

Do they have Reb stuff and does it work with the Reb stuff in that other game they make? That's really the only faction I like in that one game they make.

Reb.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
hosed up tiny robowolfs

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I found out today that Warpath has turtle-people. Sadly, they are not their own faction. :smith:

I wanted a turtle army.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

Not a viking posted:

A guy from our LGS came by the club last night. He wanted to use the club for intro and demo games of AoS and 40k and we basically told him they should stock the games we actually play instead. He left with a list of stuff to order from PP.

The shop have sold 7-8 starter sets of AoS out of the 16 they bought from GW.

My local store has like 20 boxes of AoS on this really high shelf. I look every time I'm in to play warmachine to see if they actually sold any.

Safety Factor posted:

I found out today that Warpath has turtle-people. Sadly, they are not their own faction. :smith:

I wanted a turtle army.

To bad you can't forge your narrative in Warpath??
:psyduck:

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Safety Factor posted:

I wanted a turtle army.

I doubt they are jewel-like.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Safety Factor posted:

I wanted a turtle army.

No turtle people army, no zombie orks, Mantic is really missing a lot of great ideas for their game

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Pash posted:

To bad you can't forge your narrative in Warpath??
:psyduck:
:psyduck: to you too, pal.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Does anybody have any ideas for what Warhammer miniature you could use this tank as a stand in for?
I'm not a hundred percent sure of the size, I think it's about an inch tall, maybe slightly shorter

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Do they still have tarantula gun emplacements?

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Landspeeder
Landraider
Dreadnought
Tau MakoFish
Tau Broadside
IG Sentinel
SoB Sentinel
Traitor IG sentinel with Tau markings
1k Sons Librarian with Familiar
The thing where the terminator wears a diaper while sitting in a bigger terminator
Imperator Titan (8mm scale)
Hive fleet Behemoth (.00125mm scale)
GW official Paint set
GW official dice
GW Tau Blood chain garthbrooks
Forgeworld website
Dawn of War 2: War to Dawn all War
Relic Space Marine Multiplayer Dreadnought DLC
Bloow bowl cheerleader
Infinity Warp Wolf
KoW Heroclix figure
Dungeness and Dragoncrabs Flight-wing TIE Advanced
Steam tank

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It's an inch tall. If you tried to put a space marine on that thing he'd be sitting on it like it was some kind of stupid three-wheeled wheelchair with two ancient assault rifles glued to the sides.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

boom boom boom posted:

Does anybody have any ideas for what Warhammer miniature you could use this tank as a stand in for?
I'm not a hundred percent sure of the size, I think it's about an inch tall, maybe slightly shorter

Scrunt tank

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Leperflesh posted:

It's an inch tall. If you tried to put a space marine on that thing he'd be sitting on it like it was some kind of stupid three-wheeled wheelchair with two ancient assault rifles glued to the sides.

That's what I was afraid of. It's such a cool little tank, I was hoping I'd be able to make an army of something with them

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Warpath, the sci-fi battlegame is halfway through its Kickstarter and released a pledge tier today that gives you 2 essentially complete armies for $235. If you get the forge father/enforcer starter and then a battlegroup for each of them, you end up with about 225 models (including a tank or flyer of your choice, and plenty of walkers/bikes/monsters/elite infantry/heros), two rule books and a fluff book, dice and counters. I'm not sure what you could possibly put together to get started in 40k for that amount on the GW website right now, especially if you needed to buy rulebooks.

Mantic had fuckin better explode this year is what I'm sayin I guess.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
I love that each faction has a "20 guys for $20" deal. I've got a wide force already, so to fill out any faction or just get a few extra toys is $40 at most. Might pool with a buddy to do one of those 3 set deals though...

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

LordAba posted:

Do they have Reb stuff and does it work with the Reb stuff in that other game they make? That's really the only faction I like in that one game they make.

Reb.

Kinda. Pretty soon they're hoping to unlock GCPS vehicles, which will also be Plague and Rebs vehicles like the Striders are, and they'll come with parts swap sprues for that, but there are no other new Rebs troops being added in this kickstarter, and I'm not sure how or when they're going to make it into the rules as an army list yet.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
The new Tau superheavy walker is an open topped vehicle that can barely stand on its own and has no way to right itself if it falls over

lol

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

what. WHAT?

Goddammit the Tau are the ones that don't make stupid design choices! ......for warhammer 40k standards anyway

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

frajaq posted:

what. WHAT?

Goddammit the Tau are the ones that don't make stupid design choices!

*extended spit-take*

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
I for one have no problem with this. If you can't keep your robot upright, you must be some kind of scrublord shitheel. Fuckhead.

I own a mustang with a solid rear axle, and the reason is because :911: and if *I* can't use the parts of the road that are flat and uncluttered by detritus, then that's *my* bad as a Speed Racer.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

FishFood posted:

The new Tau superheavy walker is an open topped vehicle that can barely stand on its own and has no way to right itself if it falls over

lol

That Tau robit almost costs more dollarydoos than that entire 2000 point Enforcer army with rules, dice and accessories

Also

Moola posted:

:wal:: "What's coming Shas'vre? Is it the Orks?"
:stat:: "Worse: rain."
:wal::stat:: "Ohohohoho!"

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
I'm actually pretty sure the main pilot there would have a better view by just standing up than on that monitor in front of him, given that the loving head is buried so deep into its collar it's a wonder the camera is even visible.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Traveller posted:

I think I remember Mongoose having a 10-15mm fantasy game with ready-made boxed armies and optional booster packs, what happened to that?
Mighty Armies.

Rebel Minis bought it and put out a second edition, and a historical version. It's a pretty decent DBA/HotT-style system, so very basic and fast. The core PDF rules are cheap.

Also what the hell, Tau? Do you have drone umbrellas hovering over the cockpit?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

boom boom boom posted:

What is it? I need one. Or three.

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007

Broken Loose posted:

I'm actually pretty sure the main pilot there would have a better view by just standing up than on that monitor in front of him, given that the loving head is buried so deep into its collar it's a wonder the camera is even visible.

I was wondering what the gently caress that camera head is even for given both the...drivers(???)... have little camera's and vision slits of their own. Presumably so they can fulfil whatever task they are pushing buttons for. If anything, the open topped nature of the GARGANTUAN CREATURE is to make up for the fact that, as you pointed out, the camera is sunk so deep in the collar that the crew may have to stand to see (but only if they're own veiwports/cameras are useless too).

In other words:
lol someone is paying $180 CAD for that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Maybe it's so that enemy's think the tiny head is super important and waste their best snipers trying to take it out from its little bunker and if they finally do, haha, it was useless to begin with! *thigh struts fail, mech topples over*

• Locked thread