Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Hooded Reptile posted:

Iscenko, who also faces sex-abuse charges, will keep his pension.

Same old same.
I used to think that sort of thing was nuts too, but then someone explained it to me as a pension being part of your pay and benefits, so getting to keep it as long as you had accrued sufficient service to earn a pension prior to the date of the offense makes sense. The state can't go back and demand he return his wages from the period before he committed the crime, or insist that he repay any treatment he received from the department's health insurance plan. Why should a pension obligation be treated any differently?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Dead Reckoning posted:

I used to think that sort of thing was nuts too, but then someone explained it to me as a pension being part of your pay and benefits, so getting to keep it as long as you had accrued sufficient service to earn a pension prior to the date of the offense makes sense. The state can't go back and demand he return his wages from the period before he committed the crime, or insist that he repay any treatment he received from the department's health insurance plan. Why should a pension obligation be treated any differently?

Yeah, they certainly wouldn't liquidate his 401k if he had that instead of a pension, for instance.

Do pensions scale over time? How is the pay amount handled in a situation like this where a person leaves early?

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Dirk the Average posted:

Yeah, they certainly wouldn't liquidate his 401k if he had that instead of a pension, for instance.

Do pensions scale over time? How is the pay amount handled in a situation like this where a person leaves early?
As near as I can tell, in Seattle, normal retirement is 65 or when your age + years employed is 65 (so if you start at 22, you only need to work 22 years to be 44+22=66), whichever happens first. If someone retires early, they take a 3% cut for each year they are short of normal retirement.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Dirk the Average posted:

My pension (cops get better pensions), works like this.
If you do 5 years, you vest. This means you have a pension at some amount when you retire forever. If you do, say, 3 years you may have an option to cash out, but cannot get a pension. At 5 years, you can only collect the pension at like 75 unless you started after maybe 55 or something.
At 10 years, you can start collecting the pension at 50 or 55.
Then you have a pension that is expressed like 2% at 60. What this means is that if you retire at 60 years of age, you get 2% of your salary for every year worked. For example, if you work 30 years, at 60, you will recieve 60% of your final salary.
If you retire early, that 2% number goes down, if you retire later that percentage goes up.
There are also disability pensions which can kick in early, but that's a different deal.

So once this guy hits his retirement age, he will be able to collect what he earned for gis years. I have no problem with that, a pension is just delayed compensation and that is worth a lot to governments. For example, I make at least $40k per year less that I would at the private sector, which I am fine with because the defined benefit should pay me something back at the back end. If not, I'd be maxing out my 401k, which I can't afford to because I contrubute thousands of dollars to my pension every year.
In turn, the government will end up paying less than $40k extra into my pension plan and with the miracle of compounding interest will end up paying me way less in 2015 dollars when I retire because I like junk food.
Everytime I hear people bitching about pensions, I wonder if they have really calculated how much more professionals will cost to retain. Most of the problems are because they pension programs were poorly run and assumed unrealistic payouts.

Hooded Reptile
Aug 31, 2015
Then in late February, during a basketball game in Burleson with a strong rival, Alvarado, all hell broke out.

“The whole game they’re saying little things at me, like quiet, so the coaches hear it, my husband hears it, the monitor heard it,” Curs recalled.

With just minutes left to play, she said something back – in words that are still in dispute.

But the warrant for her arrest – issued more than two months later – says “her behavior constituted a criminal offense.”

That assessment came from the person she exchanged words with that day, off-duty Capt. Gary Melson of the Alvarado Police Department. He told her he’d heard her use profanity.

Melson declined requests by the I-Team to give his account of what happened during that game. Additionally, the Alvarado police department wouldn’t give CBS 11 a statement either.

But the game’s referee, Andy Love, did talk to us.

“That’s absurd. I saw nothing that happened in that gym that would warrant anybody having to go to jail,” Love said.

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2015/09/21/a-foul-is-called-the-whistle-blows-and-2-months-later-a-popular-girls-coach-is-jailed/

They were about to formally file a Class A misdemeanor charge against Curs, accusing her of “intentionally” fleeing from Melson, even though she knew he was a “peace officer who was attempting to lawfully arrest or detain the defendant.”

However, County Attorney Bill Moore said his office is reconsidering filing a charge, “in light” of what the I-Team has uncovered, and will continue to review the case, in hopes of interviewing further witnesses, including the referee Love.

Same old same, sweep it under the rug and hope no one finds the truth.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

This is so loving brilliant. So you yell at a coach for an hour, off duty and in plain clothes, but then if you "think you heard them say profanity", you hold them until the local cops arrive.

quote:

But the game’s referee, Andy Love, did talk to us.
“That’s absurd. I saw nothing that happened in that gym that would warrant anybody having to go to jail,” Love said.
“We got a foul. I blow the whistle. I turn to report my foul and I’ve got some guy standing on the edge of the gym floor grabbing a coach by the arm, trying to pull her off the court,” he said.
Curs said: “He was wearing totally normal clothes. Just a guy who had been pestering me the whole game.”
Love said he went over to find out what was going on, at which time Melson told him, ‘I’m an off-duty Alvarado police captain and I’m holding this lady for the Burleson police.’ “

Of course when the other cops come, he says he doesn't want to issue a citation! Because they can tell it is BS.

quote:

The arriving officers from Burleson filed a report that said Melson “didn’t want a citation issued, but just wanted this issue to be resolved.”

Love said those officers seemed dismayed that they were called in the first place. “Quite honestly, one of them had a problem keeping a straight face,” the referee said.

This cop is now so angry he can't help but call his buddies and get this coach banned from school property in his hometown.

quote:

Free to go, Curs went directly from Burleson to coach another game in Alvarado, where she was met by another officer in that town, who handed her a criminal trespass warning that said she was not wanted in their school gym.

She signed the warning, as requested by the officer, and was allowed to stay and watch the game because her daughter was playing. But she was not allowed to coach.

It was not clear what, if anything, initiated the warning, other than Melson’s accusation that Curs had said something ugly to him in the earlier game in Burleson.

Both the Alvarado school district and a private youth association that was using the gym told the I-Team they did not ask police to issue the warning.

Of course, that's not enough. This cop didn't get his way in public and his buddies didn't back him. So he files evading arrest charges for her presumably struggling when a strange dude grabs her court-side.

quote:

Curs said she thought her run-in with Melson was behind her after that day.

But more than two months later, Curs opened her mail and found a warrant for her arrest, accusing her of “evading arrest.”

“When I opened that envelope, I promise you, all the color went out of my face,” she said.

Curs turned herself in to the Johnson County Jail, where she spent six hours, even though paperwork said it should have been a “walk-through” with no time behind bars.

Last week, seven months after that game between Burleson and Alvarado, police in Alvarado finished their paperwork in the case and handed it over to Burleson prosecutors.

They were about to formally file a Class A misdemeanor charge against Curs, accusing her of “intentionally” fleeing from Melson, even though she knew he was a “peace officer who was attempting to lawfully arrest or detain the defendant.”

However, County Attorney Bill Moore said his office is reconsidering filing a charge, “in light” of what the I-Team has uncovered, and will continue to review the case, in hopes of interviewing further witnesses, including the referee Love.

I'd be shocked if anyone at all lost their job, or any pay over this.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Trabisnikof posted:

This is so loving brilliant. So you yell at a coach for an hour, off duty and in plain clothes, but then if you "think you heard them say profanity", you hold them until the local cops arrive.

Of course when the other cops come, he says he doesn't want to issue a citation! Because they can tell it is BS.

This cop is now so angry he can't help but call his buddies and get this coach banned from school property in his hometown.

Of course, that's not enough. This cop didn't get his way in public and his buddies didn't back him. So he files evading arrest charges for her presumably struggling when a strange dude grabs her court-side.

I'd be shocked if anyone at all lost their job, or any pay over this.

If there were any cosmic justice in the universe, petty shits like that would all die of rear end cancer.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Legit did not expect this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/01/us/tulsa-sheriff-indicted-on-misconduct-charges-in-killing-by-a-deputy.html

quote:

A grand jury here indicted the sheriff of Tulsa County on misconduct charges on Wednesday, and the sheriff’s lawyer said he will step down, six months after a volunteer reserve deputy accidentally shot and killed an unarmed man during an arrest.

The grand jury recommended that Sheriff Stanley Glanz be removed from office after more than 26 years following an investigation that was prompted by the shooting of Eric C. Harris by the reserve deputy, Robert C. Bates, who was a friend of the sheriff’s. The panel charged Mr. Glanz with two misdemeanors, for refusing to release a 2009 report that raised questions about Mr. Bates’s fitness for duty, and for false expense reimbursement.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
Audit all cops.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Looks like the long arm of the law has reached out and grabbed firm hold of Glanz.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Dead Reckoning posted:

Yeah pretty much. People should get fired and go to jail for their crimes, but I am not okay with employers deciding they get to yank already-earned delayed compensation because you were real bad even if you were real real bad.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

Yeah pretty much. People should get fired and go to jail for their crimes, but I am not okay with employers deciding they get to yank already-earned delayed compensation because you were real bad even if you were real real bad.
It's not like the state can't play gently caress-gently caress games anyway. When the Air Force discovered that Col. Michael D. Murphy had lied about his licensing and qualifications when he entered the service, they kicked him out and busted him back to the last grade in which he had satisfactorily served... Which was 1st Lieutenant, twenty six years prior. Bye-bye, most of his pension.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Dead Reckoning posted:

It's not like the state can't play gently caress-gently caress games anyway. When the Air Force discovered that Col. Michael D. Murphy had lied about his licensing and qualifications when he entered the service, they kicked him out and busted him back to the last grade in which he had satisfactorily served... Which was 1st Lieutenant, twenty six years prior. Bye-bye, most of his pension.

The difference is that he fraudulently aquired his job and its salary and benefits.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

nm posted:

The difference is that he fraudulently aquired his job and its salary and benefits.
I'm pretty sure if you manage to get yourself a DD at 19 years and 364 days you are still 100% hosed when it comes to your pension.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

nm posted:

I'm not saying it was wrong, just pointing out that they still have ways of going after a pension if they can show a long enough history of misconduct.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I'm pretty sure if you manage to get yourself a DD at 19 years and 364 days you are still 100% hosed when it comes to your pension.

As much as some people would have you believe different, the cop and the soldier are very different.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

nm posted:

As much as some people would have you believe different, the cop and the soldier are very different.
Soldiers actually have ROEs.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

richard glossip's execution has been delayed to november after oklahoman executioners realized they did not have the potassium chloride needed to stop his heart. they had accidently procured potassium acetate instead, a food preservative and something that has been used in mummification in the past. the executioners are required to do an inventory of the drugs used for lethal injection 48 hours before execution, but they only discovered the mistake around 10 minutes before his scheduled execution

https://www.yahoo.com/health/new-twist-in-richard-glossip-1268977914331190.html

Condiv fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Oct 2, 2015

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Condiv posted:

richard glossip's execution has been delayed to november after oklahoman executioners realized they did not have the potassium chloride needed to stop his heart. they had accidently procured potassium acetate instead, a food preservative and something that has been used in mummification in the past. the executioners are required to do an inventory of the drugs used for lethal injection 48 hours before execution, but they only discovered the mistake around 10 minutes before his scheduled execution

https://www.yahoo.com/health/new-twist-in-richard-glossip-1268977914331190.html

Oklahoma's executioners are apparently even less competent than the hooded executioners from various New Yorker and Far Side cartoons, apparently.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Soldiers actually have ROEs.

And the ROEs are universally hated by ground troops.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Everblight posted:

Oklahoma's executioners are apparently even less competent than the hooded executioners from various New Yorker and Far Side cartoons, apparently.

https://youtu.be/eUal1r1_-5k?t=3m10s

e: drat, apparently I don't know how to embed video with a start time....

fosborb fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Oct 2, 2015

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Cole posted:

Oh no.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Breaking news: PFCs hate everything in the army, you heard it here first, kids.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

VitalSigns posted:

Breaking news: PFCs hate everything in the army, you heard it here first, kids.

PFCs aren't there only troops on the ground. Why the smart rear end response?

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

Cole posted:

True, but correct me if I'm wrong - loving up the ROE leads to some massive bootfucking by leadership does it not? I mean, the question isn't "Do police like it," it's "would this be effective?"

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Cole posted:

Infantry aren't allowed to think. Nothing good ever comes of it.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Cole posted:

And I hate FDA regulations because without them we could put products on the market inside of 6 months or so. Sure, hundreds of thousands of people would die without the regulation, but broken eggs, omelets, etc.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Dirk the Average posted:

And I hate FDA regulations because without them we could put products on the market inside of 6 months or so. Sure, hundreds of thousands of people would die without the regulation, but broken eggs, omelets, etc.

When you have FDA regulations that can actively get people killed on a daily basis, then you'll have a solid comparison.

The lack of FDA regulation would kill people. In the case of ROE, the regulation gets people killed.

See the difference?

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Raerlynn posted:

True, but correct me if I'm wrong - loving up the ROE leads to some massive bootfucking by leadership does it not? I mean, the question isn't "Do police like it," it's "would this be effective?"

That depends on the situation and how bad of a gently caress up. You're not allowed to shoot warning shots, for example. But if a troop pops three rounds into the ground to get a motorcycle to stop speeding at a convoy, it isn't seen as that big of a deal, even though it is explicitly stated to not shoot warning shots.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Cole posted:

That depends on the situation and how bad of a gently caress up. You're not allowed to shoot warning shots, for example. But if a troop pops three rounds into the ground to get a motorcycle to stop speeding at a convoy, it isn't seen as that big of a deal, even though it is explicitly stated to not shoot warning shots.

I don't get how you think the argument that soldiers should be allowed to kill anyone they see is a good one to make in the police thread.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

"Hey don't just shoot up civilians whenever you feel like it, that's a good way to make people join the insurgency"
\/

Ugh, why are you trying to kill are troops with your PC rules, thanks Obama

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Trabisnikof posted:

I don't get how you think the argument that soldiers should be allowed to kill anyone they see is a good one to make in the police thread.

I don't think I ever said that. Don't assume, it makes you look kind of dumb.

In fact my point was about the ability to take warning shots, which are taken so that you don't have to kill someone.

But if you don't see how the connection between soldiers hating the ROE and cops being resistant to implementing such ROEs is relevant then I dunno what to tell you.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Cole posted:

That's interesting. Why do you feel they put a soldier's life in danger, and how do you believe that would translate to a police officer having something along those lines? I'm having a hard time coming up with drawbacks that outweigh the current system where the officer claims fear for his life and guns someone down, and then massive backlash ensues?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Cole posted:

When you have FDA regulations that can actively get people killed on a daily basis, then you'll have a solid comparison.

The lack of FDA regulation would kill people. In the case of ROE, the regulation gets people killed.

See the difference?

Actually FDA regulations do kill people. They delay new treatments by years, sometimes decades, and people die in the meantime. Doctors often want to use new medicines/devices that they are administering in trials due to how effective they can be (given that they're generally 5+ years newer), but are blocked by regulations.

However, having the regulations is preferable to not having them because untested medicine is incredibly dangerous to have floating around.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Raerlynn posted:

That's interesting. Why do you feel they put a soldier's life in danger, and how do you believe that would translate to a police officer having something along those lines? I'm having a hard time coming up with drawbacks that outweigh the current system where the officer claims fear for his life and guns someone down, and then massive backlash ensues?

They establish the ROE to make the population feel secure. David Petraeus wrote the counter insurgency manual after going weapons free in Iraq just made things more violent. When he wrote the COIN manual and took over command of Iraq we started "winning." It has carried over.

The problem is COIN essentially ties troops' hands and you have to actively be in danger before you can do anything. It makes troops feel like they aren't allowed to be proactive with their safety. And being reactive in a combat zone means you either got shot at or blown up.

This directly relates to police in America, because something similar to counter insurgency* would probably be effective as long as you don't take away most proactive measures that police could take to ensure their own safety.

* don't let the name scare you. Counter Insurgency's main focus is to win the hearts and minds of a population. And let's be clear, cops in America aren't winning the hearts and minds of people.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Cole posted:

They establish the ROE to make the population feel secure. David Petraeus wrote the counter insurgency manual after going weapons free in Iraq just made things more violent. When he wrote the COIN manual and took over command of Iraq we started "winning." It has carried over.

The problem is COIN essentially ties troops' hands and you have to actively be in danger before you can do anything. It makes troops feel like they aren't allowed to be proactive with their safety. And being reactive in a combat zone means you either got shot at or blown up.

This directly relates to police in America, because something similar to counter insurgency* would probably be effective as long as you don't take away most proactive measures that police could take to ensure their own safety.

* don't let the name scare you. Counter Insurgency's main focus is to win the hearts and minds of a population. And let's be clear, cops in America aren't winning the hearts and minds of people.

Looks like we're on the same page as far as the "hearts and minds" thing. Do you think it's smart or safe for police to treat the streets like a combat zone though? I think that's where we disagree in this thread - officers seem to have this "us or them" mentality, and now that citizens are pushing back they're mystified why they no longer have the support of some of their communities. Whether or not that mentality is justified, or even helpful / appropriate is where we seem to get in our hottest debates over.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Dirk the Average posted:

Actually FDA regulations do kill people. They delay new treatments by years, sometimes decades, and people die in the meantime. Doctors often want to use new medicines/devices that they are administering in trials due to how effective they can be (given that they're generally 5+ years newer), but are blocked by regulations.
Ask a thalidomide baby how they feel about unrestricted drugs.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Everblight posted:

Ask a thalidomide baby how they feel about unrestricted drugs.

That was the entire point of the second part of my post that you cut out.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Raerlynn posted:

Looks like we're on the same page as far as the "hearts and minds" thing. Do you think it's smart or safe for police to treat the streets like a combat zone though? I think that's where we disagree in this thread - officers seem to have this "us or them" mentality, and now that citizens are pushing back they're mystified why they no longer have the support of some of their communities. Whether or not that mentality is justified, or even helpful / appropriate is where we seem to get in our hottest debates over.

It's obviously not good for police to treat the streets as a combat zone, but that's a fundamental difference that would need to be established in any COIN-type doctrine or regulation that gets passed to police. The "us vs them" mentality shouldn't be so prevalent. In a perfect world it wouldn't exist. But the problem is some of the people who "push back" are doing so in ways that only perpetuate the "us vs them" mentality that police have.

Most of the burden of the issue falls on police, but it's a two way street. There should just be more traffic going one way than the other.

For example, several months into my tour I adopted an "us vs them" mentality, and I was very hateful towards the general population simply because friends of mine had been killed. One platoon in the 82nd (I was 101st) got massacred about three miles away from us.

If a cop sees on the news that someone walked up behind a sheriff and blow his head off, or two cops sitting in their cars got killed, I can't help but understand how an "us vs them" mentality gets established. Do I agree with it? No. It took me several years to get over my hate for everything Middle East, and I sorely regret the outlook I had for so many years. The thing is, I can totally understand how that outlook comes to be, and I can sympathize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I'm glad we don't actually have to care what troops think, because this isn't Rome and I'm not Caesar.

• Locked thread