Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

NTRabbit posted:

I don't think he even met with Beveridge, the Dogs got jack of his attitude and pulled out without speaking, this was from yesterday

I did hear that Carlisle was supposed to be meeting with Beveridge today. Either that didn't happen or it didn't go well for Carlisle. Either way, not great for Carlisle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Windmill Hut posted:

Frawley paying $101 to win the Norm Smith, get on it, he's gonna pull a Lake. Destroy Kennedy.

I put a dollar on. I have faith.

Melbourne players being well known for performing after they leave.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

snaeksikn posted:

wonder if they get stuck with lake or frawley in the forward line again
If they do that means the Schoenmakers experiment has failed and they're in strife.

The Deadly Hume posted:

Yeah, I'm a bit ehhhhh about this, I think Hartung's run would've been more useful in the crunch than whatever it is that Schoey does.
I'd say it's pretty clear Rosa will be the sub for West Coast but who plays as sub for Hawthorn? Robbo suggested Hale on 360 (unless my ears deceived me) which seems insane to me

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Testekill posted:

I did hear that Carlisle was supposed to be meeting with Beveridge today. Either that didn't happen or it didn't go well for Carlisle. Either way, not great for Carlisle.

Why is it not great for Carlisle?

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Because a prospective employer has decided that you suck and he doesn't want you and the odds increase that the others are going to think the same way

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Periphery posted:

Why is it not great for Carlisle?

Carlisle wants a contract on the table before he'll even talk to the coach of one of his three suitors, that's a horrible look for a young player that last had a great season two years ago.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Shmoses posted:

If they do that means the Schoenmakers experiment has failed and they're in strife.

I'd say it's pretty clear Rosa will be the sub for West Coast but who plays as sub for Hawthorn? Robbo suggested Hale on 360 (unless my ears deceived me) which seems insane to me

Maybe he said Hill? Maybe he was just real drunk :shrug:

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Solemn Sloth posted:

Maybe he said Hill? Maybe he was just real drunk :shrug:

I don't think he was any drunker than usual

boy undead
Nov 11, 2006

time to get prolific with
the whiz kid

thepokey posted:

Child: I want West Coast to win too because Hawthorn have too many and Luke Hodge is a poo

This could be confused for a legitimate post in this thread.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

hiddenmovement posted:

Because a prospective employer has decided that you suck and he doesn't want you and the odds increase that the others are going to think the same way

In the situation he's in he's almost guaranteed to find another job though. It wouldn't have gotten to this stage if it wasn't (unless his manager is a giant idiot).

Testekill posted:

Carlisle wants a contract on the table before he'll even talk to the coach of one of his three suitors, that's a horrible look for a young player that last had a great season two years ago.

Everything I've heard seems to indicate that it could just be that he wants to make sure it's going to be worth the time to do the interviews. I mean there's no point in going to all that trouble then finding out the club is offering you significantly less than what you are after. Why waste everyone's time?

It's not like the contract they would hand over at this stage would be final. The club would still have an opportunity to withdraw it if they didn't like what they saw in the interview.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

Periphery posted:

(unless his manager is a giant idiot).

The fact a bunch of agents have moonlighted as tv commentators gives an indication of the general iq they possess

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

snaeksikn posted:

The fact a bunch of agents have moonlighted as tv commentators gives an indication of the general iq they possess

Quite a bit, because for years they were able to talk up their own clients on game day unchecked, especially as boundary riders picking players for after game interviews. Pickering was loving masterful at it.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

Periphery posted:

In the situation he's in he's almost guaranteed to find another job though. It wouldn't have gotten to this stage if it wasn't (unless his manager is a giant idiot).

Everything I've heard seems to indicate that it could just be that he wants to make sure it's going to be worth the time to do the interviews. I mean there's no point in going to all that trouble then finding out the club is offering you significantly less than what you are after. Why waste everyone's time?

It's not like the contract they would hand over at this stage would be final. The club would still have an opportunity to withdraw it if they didn't like what they saw in the interview.

Its not like going to an interview is really going to put him out that much. Is he that important that he can't spare an afternoon to go and have a chat now that the season is done? I doubt the dogs are requesting the meeting on top of the Matterhorn or something difficult. How can they even judge what sort of contract seems fair until player and club has even had a chat or done a medical or whatever else.

DAAS Kapitalist
Nov 9, 2005

Jackass: The Mad Monk

Don't try this at home.
You can take the player out of Essendon, but you can't take the Essendon out of the player.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

thepokey posted:

Its not like going to an interview is really going to put him out that much. Is he that important that he can't spare an afternoon to go and have a chat now that the season is done? I doubt the dogs are requesting the meeting on top of the Matterhorn or something difficult. How can they even judge what sort of contract seems fair until player and club has even had a chat or done a medical or whatever else.

Carlton and the Saints didn't appear to have this problem though so why are the Dogs? The only reason I can think of is if they aren't willing to offer Carlisle what he wants.

In that case, I don't really see an issue with a player going "I want x amount of money and if you can't offer me that then we may as well not waste each others time". The Dogs don't appear willing to offer that much and are now complaining about it. I don't think that reflects poorly on the player, all it does is show what his priorities are.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Periphery posted:

Carlton and the Saints didn't appear to have this problem though so why are the Dogs? The only reason I can think of is if they aren't willing to offer Carlisle what he wants.

In that case, I don't really see an issue with a player going "I want x amount of money and if you can't offer me that then we may as well not waste each others time". The Dogs don't appear willing to offer that much and are now complaining about it. I don't think that reflects poorly on the player, all it does is show what his priorities are.

Here lies the problem

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

hiddenmovement posted:

Here lies the problem

Players leave clubs/join clubs for all sorts of reasons these days. I don't see how money being important is such an issue.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Shmoses posted:

Hale might be subbed off late, as has happened a few times but I doubt he'll start with the vest on. It wouldn't surprise me to see Schoenmakers named as the sub, as Duryea's gotten to the point where he can be effective for a whole game.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
Schoey is playing because he helps the forward structure infinitely when he's on the ground and can get swung back in the case of an injury.

West Coast zoned off on our high bombs into the forward line in the QF (and to a lesser extent in the first half of the earlier game) and got easy uncontested possessions out of the backline. Schoey more than any other forward we have right now hits packs like a freight train and a couple of bodies usually hit the floor. Additionally, he's one of the better kicks in the side and is surprisingly mobile up the ground. I'm generally cool with this decision, particularly given the form of Smith and Hill in the last two weeks.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Periphery posted:

HR Manager: So, Periphery, tell me why you want to work for [insert any employer here]?

Periphery: It's pretty much the huge sums of money that you'll be paying me

HR Manager: .......

Periphery: Oh and my last employers were total dickheads

HR Manager: Well, thanks for coming in, we'll be in touch with our decision in the coming weeks. Bye now.

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
Tomorrow in the herald sun: Sam Mitchell rescues a puppy and 'good bloke' Luke Hodge gives up his tram seat for a nice old nanna!

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
What idiot decided moving the Grand Final parade route was a good idea?

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
Breaking news guys. Luke Hodge has apparently crossed the Rubicon only hours ago. Hold onto your togas, shits about to go down.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Tim Watson is such a sad Liberal shill. Spent 15min bagging out the state govt for making today a public holiday, apparently there was no traffic on the roads at 7am so that means no crowd for the parade! Better today than for a loving horse race.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

TG-Chrono posted:

Tim Watson is such a sad Liberal shill. Spent 15min bagging out the state govt for making today a public holiday, apparently there was no traffic on the roads at 7am so that means no crowd for the parade! Better today than for a loving horse race.

I was just in the car listening to his garbage, I'm never sure if he's doing a KB and just trying to generate a conflict of he's just flat out dumb, I'm leaning towards the latter.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

The Deadly Hume posted:

Hale might be subbed off late, as has happened a few times but I doubt he'll start with the vest on. It wouldn't surprise me to see Schoenmakers named as the sub, as Duryea's gotten to the point where he can be effective for a whole game.
Yeah I don't think anyone would seriously the notion of the slowest player on either side being sub. Schoenmakers as sub seems unlikely as well; having a tall player sub hardly ever happens

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

The job market for established AFL players is exactly the same any other job.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Shmoses posted:

Yeah I don't think anyone would seriously the notion of the slowest player on either side being sub. Schoenmakers as sub seems unlikely as well; having a tall player sub hardly ever happens

What about Gunston as the sub? He wont be 100% match fit so playing him for less time solves that issue. He's not your typical sub but he'd still increase their run if they subbed off Hale and he'd also be a dangerous match up against tired defenders.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Periphery posted:

The job market for established AFL players is exactly the same any other job.

If you have a maximum of 17 possible destinations for your career to continue and only three of them are open to talking to you, most people would find the time to take a couple of hours for each one, particularly if they're on annual leave at the time anyway.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
If the Bulldogs still intend to give Talia the flick I can't imagine them turning their back on Carlisle so quickly.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Solemn Sloth posted:

If you have a maximum of 17 possible destinations for your career to continue and only three of them are open to talking to you, most people would find the time to take a couple of hours for each one, particularly if they're on annual leave at the time anyway.

If he hadn't had any serious offers yet, then yes. However, Carlisle already has two offers on the table and has had discussions with both of them. If one party turns up late and isn't willing/able to give an indication that they are in a similar ball park in terms of pay then I can totally understand why you could be reluctant to meet with them. Clubs would know enough about a player before directly speaking to them to be able to form some idea about what they are willing to pay.

It just seems to me that the Dogs are late to the discussions (possibly as a result of the Talia stuff) and missed their opportunity to get into discussions before another club offered him big money.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Periphery posted:

What about Gunston as the sub? He wont be 100% match fit so playing him for less time solves that issue. He's not your typical sub but he'd still increase their run if they subbed off Hale and he'd also be a dangerous match up against tired defenders.

I like it better than Hale but if you're basing your sub on match fitness in a GF you're in dicey territory

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Shmoses posted:

I like it better than Hale but if you're basing your sub on match fitness in a GF you're in dicey territory

Yeah, it'd be risky. If they only think he's good to fully run out 50% of the game and they get an injury early they could be in for some trouble. More so with it being a hot day.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
Seriously is Jake Carlisle's time so precious that he can't spare 2hrs of one afternoon to meet with a prospective employer for a chat without an offer on the table? I still don't get how you can put an offer on the table before you talk and suss each other out. Just loving suck it up and go in for a chat and if it turns out a bust then sue them for your 2 hours of lost time or something

Forum Joe
Jun 8, 2001

Every day I'm shuffling!

Ask me about Tasmania!
Has this been posted here yet? It's very funny:
http://www.thermocow.com/articles/afl-club-songs-ranked-by-ambition-and-boastfulness/

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

thepokey posted:

Seriously is Jake Carlisle's time so precious that he can't spare 2hrs of one afternoon to meet with a prospective employer for a chat without an offer on the table? I still don't get how you can put an offer on the table before you talk and suss each other out. Just loving suck it up and go in for a chat and if it turns out a bust then sue them for your 2 hours of lost time or something

If you were offered a job at a place that paid $50/hr and then got interest from an employer to do the same job but they were only willing to offer $20/hr would you bother to have an interview with them?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Periphery posted:

If you were offered a job at a place that paid $50/hr and then got interest from an employer to do the same job but they were only willing to offer $20/hr would you bother to have an interview with them?

You know that he hasn't had an interview with us because we don't want to talk contracts until Beveridge can talk to him right? It's an hour or two out of his day, it's not like he has to travel out to Geelong or interstate.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
Luke Hodge would go and what's more he would even wear a tie to the interview.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I'm honesty expecting hodge to line up in defence tomorrow and break kennedy's legs at the siren

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Solemn Sloth posted:

I'm honesty expecting hodge to line up in defence tomorrow and break kennedy's legs at the siren

He'll just run around shoving everyone into the fence or the goal posts.

• Locked thread