Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I like the silly otherworld parts in Insidious. The movie was plenty silly before that part, what with the gasmask seance and what not. However it just goes off the rails in a wonderful way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Yeah if anything I put it as the 'standard' average of the genre which is why I mentioned earlier that I judge movies against it. The truth is I'm still chasing my dragon: the awesome experience I had watching The Ring in a theater full of people that were all totally in to it.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
^^ Speaking of which, Rings is scheduled for release in two months and we haven't seen so much as a teaser poster for it. I can't imagine it's going to make it out this year, let alone for that release date.

marblize
Sep 6, 2015

FreudianSlippers posted:

I like the silly otherworld parts in Insidious. The movie was plenty silly before that part, what with the gasmask seance and what not. However it just goes off the rails in a wonderful way.

In the first hour or so though I did get some pretty intense terror chills on the back of my neck, namely in one of the baby moniter/crib scenes and the one with the dude pacing on the balcony and then coming into the bedroom.

*shudder*

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

lizardman posted:

^^ Speaking of which, Rings is scheduled for release in two months and we haven't seen so much as a teaser poster for it. I can't imagine it's going to make it out this year, let alone for that release date.

I hope they have the weird grasshopper Sadakos like in one of the more recent sequels

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

toiletbrush posted:

I was really excited to see BSS and saw it on DVD the first time, by myself, and sort of enjoyed it and sort of liked the way it ended, but felt like I didn't 'get' it and it left me totally empty.

Same here. I love the technique that went into it, but as a cohesive cinema experience, it was really missing something for me

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
I just saw The Gift (Edgerton movie) genuinely disturbing and unsettling movie despite its simplicity.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I just watched It Follows. I enjoyed it quite a bit, but like most horror movies the ending sucks. I appreciate that the beginning part isn't too drawn out, which is a failing of most horror movies. I also appreciate that the movie doesn't spoon-feed you anything, it definitely shows instead of tells. As long as you can deal with an unsatisfying ending, I'd say it's worth checking out. I watched it without reading anything about it going in, so I'm not sure how that effects things.

Got a few more blind watches lined up, next up will be Unfriended. Blind watches are the best watches. gently caress trailers. If more than a few people seem to like it on IMDB and the one sentence synopsis seems remotely interesting, that's good enough for me.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Oct 1, 2015

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Interesting, what didn't you care for in the ending of It Follows?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Interesting, what didn't you care for in the ending of It Follows?

I assume they mean the swimming pool sequence and not the very end. I would kind of agree with that. It wasn't terrible, but it was the weakest sequence of the film in my opinion.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
The movie just kind of ends. They are no better off than when they started. They didn't really learn anything new about the ghost, or resolve anything. The nerd finally gets a pity gently caress which made the least sense of all to me, just bang some dude at a bar or something instead of forcing the one cool dude in the movie to gently caress some skanky hooker in order to give her a curse that she almost assuredly will get killed by. I am also constantly wondering, why not get the authorities involved since you can physically interact with this thing and its constantly showing itself? The movie's ending reminded me of the fake-out ending of the Ring (which was brilliant) except this wasn't a fake out, the movie really was just over.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Well, I would say that the movie is about fears and consequences of sex. These are things that don't really go away. The situation at the end of the movie is different than the beginning because the protagonist has found a partner she wants to stay with face their problems together. You cannot escape the scary and dangerous aspects of life. They follow you forever. All you can do is find someone to face them with. That's the story. it's really funny to me that you think it's a flaw that they didn't learn more about the ghost/monster. that poo poo seriously did not need explained. You mention involving the authorities, but you might have noticed that the absence of authority figures is a theme in the movie. The reason that sex is scary to the protagonists is that they don't have good role models and their parents are either absent or drunk.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

The movie just kind of ends. They are no better off than when they started. They didn't really learn anything new about the ghost, or resolve anything. The nerd finally gets a pity gently caress which made the least sense of all to me, just bang some dude at a bar or something instead of forcing the one cool dude in the movie to gently caress some skanky hooker in order to give her a curse that she almost assuredly will get killed by. I am also constantly wondering, why not get the authorities involved since you can physically interact with this thing and its constantly showing itself? The movie's ending reminded me of the fake-out ending of the Ring (which was brilliant) except this wasn't a fake out, the movie really was just over.

By the end of the movie she has accepted the fact that she will die one day. By the end of the movie something is following her but she no longer fear it

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
You find out everything you need to know about It in the when her boyfriend ties her to a chair and explains what's happening. Any other specific details would ruin it. I like the scene where they track him down, thinking that they'll force him to give them more information about It. He pretty much tells them what they already know because he, like them, has no clue what It really is or what its motivations are.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Snak posted:

Well, I would say that the movie is about fears and consequences of sex. These are things that don't really go away. The situation at the end of the movie is different than the beginning because the protagonist has found a partner she wants to stay with face their problems together. You cannot escape the scary and dangerous aspects of life. They follow you forever. All you can do is find someone to face them with. That's the story. it's really funny to me that you think it's a flaw that they didn't learn more about the ghost/monster. that poo poo seriously did not need explained. You mention involving the authorities, but you might have noticed that the absence of authority figures is a theme in the movie. The reason that sex is scary to the protagonists is that they don't have good role models and their parents are either absent or drunk.

All very good points. I also thought it was funny how much time they spend sitting around, being bored as hell. I kept thinking, no wonder all they think about is loving eachother.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It's also worth pointing out that the movie specifically didn't take place in a particular time period. Almost all the cars are old, but that one girl has a scifi e-reader that doesn't exist irl.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

All very good points. I also thought it was funny how much time they spend sitting around, being bored as hell. I kept thinking, no wonder all they think about is loving eachother.

young people in a nutshell.

i love the ending, although like a lot of horror movies, the way they "defeat" the monster is vague and doesn't make a lot of sense, and i can see how that would bug somebody.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Just thought I'd post here, too. The 2015 October Horror Movie Challenge is up.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Got a few more blind watches lined up, next up will be Unfriended. Blind watches are the best watches. gently caress trailers. If more than a few people seem to like it on IMDB and the one sentence synopsis seems remotely interesting, that's good enough for me.
I will never be able to watch Unfriended because the cover art and the title make me erupt in laughter. Not even Human Centipede style laughter but, "this was literally made for people who're into recent urban legends."

Picture of a 13 year-old girl crying, under "UNFRIENDED". I think that I've seen enough

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

coyo7e posted:

I will never be able to watch Unfriended because the cover art and the title make me erupt in laughter. Not even Human Centipede style laughter but, "this was literally made for people who're into recent urban legends."

Picture of a 13 year-old girl crying, under "UNFRIENDED". I think that I've seen enough

You're missing out. I really liked Unfriended.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

LesterGroans posted:

You're missing out. I really liked Unfriended.

It wasn't good, but it was interesting and I didn't feel like I'd wasted 90 minutes. I think I liked The Den better though.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Vulpes posted:

It wasn't good, but it was interesting and I didn't feel like I'd wasted 90 minutes. I think I liked The Den better though.

I've never heard of The Den, but you summed up my feelings about Unfriended perfectly. I think it's worth watching if you're "into" horror movies just because it does something a bit different.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
You should watch The Den.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Didn't they make it clear that if you didn't teach the next person the rules and it killed them the curse returned to you?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

coyo7e posted:

The posters are accurate, because the movie's a comedy.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

coyo7e posted:

It's like she's reacting to her friend unfriending her on Facebook :lol:

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The posters are accurate, because the movie's a comedy.

the biggest comedy is that Unfriended really does feature a ghost, rather than some psychopath screwing with them

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
The never have I ever scene is really really well done and Unfriended is honestly worth watching for that alone. It's biggest failure is that is sets up a really great idea for the ending and then turns away from it for some reason. Leaving the final girl to deal with the same backlash Laura had to deal with was the PERFECT way to end the film. Just have it end with her realizing that she's now known as the monster who caused a girl to kill herself for the rest of her life. Having the spooky ghost attack her was a lame cop out.

What's the general consensus on The Loft (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_loft/) I thought it was a pretty decent little thriller that really didn't deserve the 11% score on RT.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

The Saddest Rhino posted:

the biggest comedy is that Unfriended really does feature a ghost, rather than some psychopath screwing with them

A ghost who can HACK THE INTERNET. Kinda killed it for me. The internet is a scary place, but not in the way Unfriended pretends it is. What was the plan if they all just logged off Skype at the beginning and decided to talk later?

Also there's a bunch of poop in it.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I finally watched Lake Mungo this weekend and I've felt kind of depressed ever since. That's the first movie in a while that has really stuck with me. It may have hit a little too close to home as I had a sister who passed away about 15 years ago and the way the family dealt with their grief was very, very real.

Brought back a lot of memories.

Beautiful movie though :smith:

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

OldTennisCourt posted:

What's the general consensus on The Loft (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_loft/) I thought it was a pretty decent little thriller that really didn't deserve the 11% score on RT.

I just watched this the other night, thought it was fine too. People were mad at the ending but I thought everything fit nicely and was suprised at how good the acting was and characters stayed consistent. Only problem I had was that the very end was a little too happy and asking us to feel happy for complete assholes was a bit much. You ruined your marriage and ending up with the other woman is good?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I kind of enjoyed an average psychological horror B-movie that's been on cable recently, "The Uninvited."

It has a bit of a feel of a Lifetime Movie Network version of horror because of the 3 generically pretty female leads, and while I think the main plot twist is somewhat predictable (I could kind of smell the direction they were going about a third of the way into the film), there's a secondary twist that caught me off guard (although it is completely ripped off from The Sixth Sense and also to a degree from an older and much less well known film called The Other).

The story is about a teenage girl who has just been released from a psych hospital where's she's been since a fire at her home that killed her mother. What exactly happened that night is not exactly clear, and the girl sees ghost visions that lead her to believe there was foul play. Upon the girl's return home, her mother has been replaced by the woman who used to be the mother's caretaker (she was ill before her death in the fire), who has been sleeping with the father. The girl and her sister feel that all is not what it seems with the father's girlfriend and begin investigating into her past.

I thought the ghost visitations, the ones that happened in the home, anyway, were scary and pretty well done. Even though I was pretty suspicious of the main plot reveal by midway through the film, and almost certain of it by the end, I thought the execution of it was well done. Solid and enjoyable though you'd never pay twice to see it in a theater (or even once really if you could see it on TV).

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

The truth is I'm still chasing my dragon: the awesome experience I had watching The Ring in a theater full of people that were all totally in to it.

This. I had the same experience with The Ring, and some other horror movies, and it's one of the entire reasons to go see a horror film, or a great epic adventure or action film. Seeing films like The Road Warrior, Star Wars and Jaws during their original release (I'm quite old you see).

The shared experience makes it that much more intense and memorable.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Zwabu posted:

This. I had the same experience with The Ring, and some other horror movies, and it's one of the entire reasons to go see a horror film, or a great epic adventure or action film. Seeing films like The Road Warrior, Star Wars and Jaws during their original release (I'm quite old you see).

The shared experience makes it that much more intense and memorable.

The problem is that horror movie theaters always have a bunch of people that laugh at the wrong times. I watched Saw in theaters and for some reason the dude sawing off his leg was just uproariously funny according to the crowd. After a few more experiences like that I gave up.

Rhyno posted:

Didn't they make it clear that if you didn't teach the next person the rules and it killed them the curse returned to you?

Yes, but it seems their new plan involves getting a hooker to do it, in the hopes that they pass it on. Eventually the ghost will kill everyone the hooker bangs and then the hooker, and then you. I doubt they were going to explain things to the hooker

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Oct 5, 2015

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Rhyno posted:

The rules aren't clear at all. The guy who explains them got the curse from some random one night stand and he doesn't know even know what her name was.

snoot
Jun 8, 2006

danger lurks everywhere

Zwabu posted:

I kind of enjoyed an average psychological horror B-movie that's been on cable recently, "The Uninvited."

It has a bit of a feel of a Lifetime Movie Network version of horror because of the 3 generically pretty female leads, and while I think the main plot twist is somewhat predictable (I could kind of smell the direction they were going about a third of the way into the film), there's a secondary twist that caught me off guard (although it is completely ripped off from The Sixth Sense and also to a degree from an older and much less well known film called The Other).

The story is about a teenage girl who has just been released from a psych hospital where's she's been since a fire at her home that killed her mother. What exactly happened that night is not exactly clear, and the girl sees ghost visions that lead her to believe there was foul play. Upon the girl's return home, her mother has been replaced by the woman who used to be the mother's caretaker (she was ill before her death in the fire), who has been sleeping with the father. The girl and her sister feel that all is not what it seems with the father's girlfriend and begin investigating into her past.

I thought the ghost visitations, the ones that happened in the home, anyway, were scary and pretty well done. Even though I was pretty suspicious of the main plot reveal by midway through the film, and almost certain of it by the end, I thought the execution of it was well done. Solid and enjoyable though you'd never pay twice to see it in a theater (or even once really if you could see it on TV).

That's a remake of the Korean film 'a Tale of Two Sisters'.

I love the original, the 'twist' occurs half way through and there's a lot more ambiguity in it, and references to folk tales.

Worth tracking down, used to be on Netflix.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

wrong thread

Ehud fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Oct 6, 2015

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

snoot posted:

That's a remake of the Korean film 'a Tale of Two Sisters'.

I love the original, the 'twist' occurs half way through and there's a lot more ambiguity in it, and references to folk tales.

Worth tracking down, used to be on Netflix.
I thought that title sounded familiar. Forgot they did a remake. Tale of Two Sisters is FANTASTIC, still holds my number one spot out of the wave of Korean horror movies from several years back. Get it, even if you have to buy a copy. The commentary with the DP on the DVD is also worth the price of admission, I don't watch that kind of thing much but I was entranced.

Lefty Lugubrious
Apr 30, 2006

You guys are getting me pumped for A Tale of Two Sisters - it's finally arriving in the mail today from Netflix after a long wait. :dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Just watched "The Nightmare" on Netflix (Canada), a sorta-documentary on sleep paralysis which fits nicely with the tone of movies for this thread.

I enjoyed it although I found it kind of runs out of steam at a certain point. The re-enactments are well done and the audio is great.

• Locked thread