Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
furiouskoala
Aug 4, 2007

eviltastic posted:

I would not have expected a self identified conservative with a profile name of IRONCROSS45 to be a mixed race dude that is up for interracial dating.

Also a wiccan!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Killer robot posted:

Yes and no. Lots of Mexican guns came from the US, but overwhelmingly either got there through legal sales to Mexican police and military units the cartels stole them from, or else got smuggled over the southern border thanks to decades of the US government arming up the rest of Latin America. The popular article about the percentage of Mexican guns traced to the US was based on a subset of a subset that got submitted to the US for tracking, since guns with no serial numbers or that obviously didn't come from US civilian channels weren't going to be submitted in the first place.

Not to say the cartels don't like them some smuggled guns from straw purchasers in Texas, but they're a minority and disproportionately are blinged up showpiece status symbols rather than what's being used for crime. The leftovers from cold war death squads get the work done, but they're less pretty.

There's also a lot of collusion going on between cartels and American precious metals concerns, where the cartels will work as enforcers and threaten and murder all the labor activists, environmentalists, and land-owning holdouts from interfering with their mining operations. They get paid good money and are supplied very well.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

ComradeCosmobot posted:

No. Can't let things like the fact that the debt ceiling was moved up to Nov. 4 distract us from the real issues.

Is the killing of students or an entirely artificial and pointless deadline a real issue?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Even after he accidentally got caught telling the truth about the Benghazi stuff?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I'm finally watching Obama's press release on the shooting. Jesus, he's loving pissed.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Even after he accidentally got caught telling the truth about the Benghazi stuff?

Are you kidding? That sealed the deal.

dogs named Charlie
Apr 5, 2009

by exmarx

Star Man posted:

I'm finally watching Obama's press release on the shooting. Jesus, he's loving pissed.

The president of the United States legitimately actually cares about the lives of citizens, holy poo poo never thought I would see this day. He makes a good point, we have a gun for every man woman and child in America. We've tried it the insane bastard way, it doesn't work.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Seattle plans to push for comprehensive public financing of local elections.

Of course keeping private money out will be impossible thanks to Citizens United, but it could be interesting.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Stereotype posted:

So can we stop talking about guns and instead discuss who is going to be the next House Majority Leader?

Daniel Webster (R-FL), (the country's only) noted crusader against no-fault divorce.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Stereotype posted:

So can we stop talking about guns and instead discuss who is going to be the next House Majority Leader?

Speaking of which, does it seem like McCarthy's dumbass admission about the BENGHAZI! BENGHAZI! BENGHAZI! committee will have legs?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Daniel Webster (R-FL), (the country's only) noted crusader against no-fault divorce.

I hear he has one powerful advocate

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
So it's not going to be the empty suit from Bakersfield? I should know who Kevin McCarthy is since I live in CA, but I really don't.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
Apart from anything else, holy hell, Obama's comments on the situation were legitimately :smith:-inducing. I don't think I've ever heard an American president so openly frustrated - not even angry, in way, just frustrated - in the nearly 32 years I've been on this planet. He so obviously wants to match up with the rest of the developed world, or even the rest of the Anglosphere, when it comes to guns, but he knows he'll never find the political support for it during the remainder of his term in office. That's some serious "will he actually be getting sleep tonight or is it just going to bedevil him until the sun rises" kind of poo poo.

It was heartening to see him so frank, if nothing else.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

StandardVC10 posted:

So it's not going to be the empty suit from Bakersfield? I should know who Kevin McCarthy is since I live in CA, but I really don't.

That is McCarthy. :haw:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

GreyjoyBastard posted:

That is McCarthy. :haw:

I know! I guess I phrased that badly!

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

SpaceDrake posted:

Apart from anything else, holy hell, Obama's comments on the situation were legitimately :smith:-inducing. I don't think I've ever heard an American president so openly frustrated - not even angry, in way, just frustrated - in the nearly 32 years I've been on this planet. He so obviously wants to match up with the rest of the developed world, or even the rest of the Anglosphere, when it comes to guns, but he knows he'll never find the political support for it during the remainder of his term in office. That's some serious "will he actually be getting sleep tonight or is it just going to bedevil him until the sun rises" kind of poo poo.

It was heartening to see him so frank, if nothing else.

Dude needs to keep it up, he's lending a voice to the frustration a ton of Americans feel.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I'm sure Los Zetas bought their Huey gunship from a Gander Mountain in Arizona somewhere.

I'm sure that's literally the only weapons the Los Zetas have.

Star Man posted:

Yeah this is one of those "your services are not needed, Luther" times.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Oct 2, 2015

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

welp, double-post.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I just can't imagine McCarthy sailing through like that without some sort of fight

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

nachos posted:

I just can't imagine McCarthy sailing through like that without some sort of fight

I hope it's a rap battle fight because that would be something else.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Seattle plans to push for comprehensive public financing of local elections.

Of course keeping private money out will be impossible thanks to Citizens United, but it could be interesting.

Pretty confident this will pass and excited to see the results. I hope we can inspire other cities to follow our lead. Can't do anything about Citizens United, but I'm bullish on it being overturned within the next decade too. One step at a time though.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Mr Interweb posted:

Speaking of which, does it seem like McCarthy's dumbass admission about the BENGHAZI! BENGHAZI! BENGHAZI! committee will have legs?

It means he's going to have to give the FREEDOM nutters a bone in terms of leadership positions, but the only real thing it did is give Hillary a great sound byte for an add when it becomes a Republican advert in the General.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

edit- gently caress, stupid plug in making poo poo posts all over the place.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
I always wondered why the President didn't get up and talk about whatever issues he wanted the public to push for on a weekly basis. It always seemed like that would be huge and has made a big difference in the past (see Reagan or, to a lesser extent, Roosevelt). And relevant to current events it seems like that would be a great way to get national attention on a weekly basis to put up facts about Climate Change, Vaccinations, or even more publicly divided issues like Gun Control or Healthcare. Turns out, that has been a regular thing since Reagan (minus H.W. Bush) and is currently done by Obama. In case this is news to anyone else:

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/weekly-address

Although I can find very very few references to it, and despite keeping up to date with political news fairly regularly over the past 15 years I can't remember ever seeing anyone (news, forums, other podcasts, whatever) link to a radio record, audio podcast, or video of one of these addresses. Is everyone like me and just had no clue this was going on (the average view numbers for the Youtube videos is pretty pathetic), have they just become so routine that everyone ignores them, or are they just filled with too much political bs? Am I overestimating the ability of a President to somehow get 20-30 minutes of time in front of a TV or even broadcast to many radio stations during rush hour to really get exposure to this in a way that would be meaningful?

nessin fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Oct 2, 2015

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Turnquiet posted:

edit- gently caress, stupid plug in making poo poo posts all over the place.

this is my excuse too its the plugin

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

nessin posted:

Although I can find very very few references to it, and despite keeping up to date with political news fairly regularly over the past 15 years I can't remember ever seeing anyone (news, forums, other podcasts, whatever) link to a radio record, audio podcast, or video of one of these addresses. Is everyone like me and just had no clue this was going on (the average view numbers for the Youtube videos is pretty pathetic), have they just become so routine that everyone ignores them, or are they just filled with too much political bs? Am I overestimating the ability of a President to somehow get 20-30 minutes of time in front of a TV or even broadcast to many radio stations during rush hour to really get exposure to this in a way that would be meaningful?

Yes, this has been happening for a long time. But fox news/cnn/msnbc is flashy, angry, and tells everyone what they want to hear. About the only place that will carry it live is CSPAN.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
The more I think on it, the less access to guns, poor mental health services and poverty account for this phenomenon. Plenty of other nations have an excess of guns, far more abysmal mental health services and even more dire economic circumstances. Easy access to firearms certainly helps to facilitate these massacres but that's a how and not a why.

I'd be talking out of my arse if I tried to identify which parts of the culture was responsible but when all the other variables are the same, it's gotta be culture right?

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

nessin posted:

I always wondered why the President didn't get up and talk about whatever issues he wanted the public to push for on a weekly basis. It always seemed like that would be huge and has made a big difference in the past (see Reagan or, to a lesser extent, Roosevelt). And relevant to current events it seems like that would be a great way to get national attention on a weekly basis to put up facts about Climate Change, Vaccinations, or even more publicly divided issues like Gun Control or Healthcare. Turns out, that has been a regular thing since Reagan (minus H.W. Bush) and is currently done by Obama. In case this is news to anyone else:

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/weekly-address

It's basically every reason you've outlined. They're a bit dry and routine, and too wrapped up in the political side of politics for anyone to give a poo poo. For the most part it's opinions everyone already knows Obama has. There are no surprises and no story. They're also way too frequent for anyone to seriously follow them on a week to week basis. People barely care about the State of the Union, and that's once a year. Even outside this format, we saw Obama talk today about the shooting. Powerful stuff in the face of a national tragedy. Well written speech. Nobody will change their mind or do anything different. Could Obama change his approach, do more, and somehow sway the hearts and minds of the American people better than he has been doing? Hard to say. I don't have any particular ideas on that front.

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

Funky See Funky Do posted:

The more I think on it, the less access to guns, poor mental health services and poverty account for this phenomenon. Plenty of other nations have an excess of guns, far more abysmal mental health services and even more dire economic circumstances. Easy access to firearms certainly helps to facilitate these massacres but that's a how and not a why.

I'd be talking out of my arse if I tried to identify which parts of the culture was responsible but when all the other variables are the same, it's gotta be culture right?

The mass shooting phenomenon is indeed an element of American culture. Specifically, the spree killing glorification is spread by the media/advertisement bath every citizen is engulfed in.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
I wonder how many mass-shooting speeches Obama has pre-written by this point.

"We can't stand by and let another (another(another)) tragedy like this one happen again!"

Oh and I'm sure 4chan is having a thoroughly thought provoking and introspective dialogue on this event right now too. :rolleyes:

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Oct 2, 2015

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

It's at least somewhat right. I'm not confident saying that better mental health services would or wouldn't change things, but mass shooters don't tend to be particularly poor, and they'll happily and effectively use whatever guns they have, even ordinary hunting shotguns not hard to get in other country and usually in the "don't worry, we're not coming after grandpa's hunting tools" part of strict gun control proposals.

Methods of suicides, and of violent outbursts, seem to have a strong cultural component, likely a manner of copycat effect if nothing else. Not surprising a combination of the two would also. And it's already demonstrated that publicity of suicide attempts make suicide more likely.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Moxie posted:

The mass shooting phenomenon is indeed an element of American culture. Specifically, the spree killing glorification is spread by the media/advertisement bath every citizen is engulfed in.

I'd argue that the media coverage is just another symptom and not a cause. It's hard to glorify something that a people don't already hold in some esteem.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

The more I think on it, the less access to guns, poor mental health services and poverty account for this phenomenon. Plenty of other nations have an excess of guns, far more abysmal mental health services and even more dire economic circumstances.

Yeah? Which ones?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Mercury_Storm posted:

I wonder how many mass-shooting speeches Obama has pre-written by this point.

"We can't stand by and let another (another(another)) tragedy like this one happen again!"
Eventually he's just gonna sit slumped on his podium, silent, for the first 10 minutes of the press conference, before muttering "Here we are again."

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Samurai Sanders posted:

My friend brought up gun control on Facebook, something I would never do. It started a predictable fight full of people saying their side as what is obviously right and the other side as crazy nonsense for idiots. I can't see any sign that the gap in opinion between pro-gun and anti-gun people has narrowed in my life so far. I am pretty sure that that this situation change in my lifetime.

I'm pretty sure the Gun Control well has been poisoned, and I don't think the steps needed to cleanse it are happening anytime soon.

On the side of the anti-gun control folks, there's more at work than just ARE FREEDUMBS and the like. There's economic self-interest. People make money from this sort of thing - people that make guns, people that run gun stores, people that sell ammo, people that run gun ranges, people that run gun shows, and so on and so forth. Gun control costs these people money. Some of them, I'm sure, are more motivated by Rights and Freedom and the like than anything else, but when there's money involved I tend to believe that money is the motivator.

The problem is, no one makes money from people not getting shot. There's no economic interest in pushing for gun control, because no one profits from gun control. I suspect gun control in the US is a dead issue and will be unless and until a bunch of police departments and EMT companies and hospitals and insurance companies get together and say "we're tired of all these dead people and what they cost us" and build a lobbying organization as large and as wealthy as the NRA. Until that happens... welp.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

botany posted:

Yeah? Which ones?

Take a look at this list https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_of_guns_per_capita_by_country

and the one here http://harvardpolitics.com/special_features/gun.html#r1

Remove using whichever means you want any country you don't think is a fair comparison and the answer is the ones left over.

Finland is the example I'd use. Lots of guns, lots of really depressed and isolated people with one of the worst suicide rates in the world but not so many shooting sprees.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Take a look at this list https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_of_guns_per_capita_by_country

Remove using whichever means you want any country you don't think is a fair comparison and the answer is the ones left over.

Finland is the example I'd use. Lots of guns, lots of really depressed and isolated people with one of the worst suicide rates in the world but not so many shooting sprees.

Finland also has fairly low income inequality.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I'm pretty sure the Gun Control well has been poisoned, and I don't think the steps needed to cleanse it are happening anytime soon.

On the side of the anti-gun control folks, there's more at work than just ARE FREEDUMBS and the like. There's economic self-interest. People make money from this sort of thing - people that make guns, people that run gun stores, people that sell ammo, people that run gun ranges, people that run gun shows, and so on and so forth. Gun control costs these people money. Some of them, I'm sure, are more motivated by Rights and Freedom and the like than anything else, but when there's money involved I tend to believe that money is the motivator.

The problem is, no one makes money from people not getting shot. There's no economic interest in pushing for gun control, because no one profits from gun control. I suspect gun control in the US is a dead issue and will be unless and until a bunch of police departments and EMT companies and hospitals and insurance companies get together and say "we're tired of all these dead people and what they cost us" and build a lobbying organization as large and as wealthy as the NRA. Until that happens... welp.
That's a really poor explanation for the NRA and other pro-Second Amendment groups' ability to get out the vote. Their war chest is small potatoes compared to most lobbies, but their members are known for showing up at the polls. A lobby financed by firearm and ammo manufacturers wouldn't be a blip on the Washington circuit.

I think the simple explanation is that gun owners are the ones who stand to lose something. Aside from a few grieving parents of shooting victims, most of the pro-gun control base has no stake in the issue aside from emotion, and their engagement reflects that. For gun owners, every proposal resricts their ability to buy or sell or transport or repair their guns. All gun owners have at the very least a financial investment tied up in a physical object they own. They also have no reason to compromise: the most generous proposals from the other side come out to, "let us ban what we want now, and maybe we won't ban something else later," a promise that gun owners have no reason to believe is sincere in the wake of the NY SAFE Act.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

Gun culture and legislation is an important difference. Finland still has far more strict gun laws than the United States - they require a license for each gun, required safe storage, and they do not permit open or concealed carry unless the gun is being transported to a place of storage or use. They also require a reason for acquiring a license, and do NOT accept self-defense.

Basically, Finland's laws both reflect and instill a more "mature" gun culture.

Switzerland is a similar story - high gun ownership rate, but that is largely due to required military service for most men. Thus you have a culture where gun ownership is very common, but proper training and a "mature" gun culture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
That argument falls apart when you start looking at the rest of the world. Brazil has strict licensing and ownership, and bans carry outside the home, so they must have a mature gun culture... Oh wait, they have one of the highest homicide rates on the planet. Also, I object to the idea that a government which demands its citizens provide a good reason why they should be allowed to do things is "mature."

• Locked thread