Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ImpAtom posted:

In a universe where he's given infinite time and no interruption I think he stood a chance, but dude was about to be gang-rushed by Storm Troopers.

I always thought those guys were just bored with guard duty and wanted to go and watch the laser sword fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Fun fact: Luke, Han and Leia don't get shot by Stormtroopers on the Death Star because they purposefully let them escape so they could find the Rebel base. They even said it in the movie.

Though while I haven't ever worn a Stormtrooper helmet, I imagine it isn't exactly easy to see out of one. I think Palpatine decided to sacrifice his army's vision so that they look cool and imposing.

Imperial engineering being a huge joke is probably the most realistic thing in Star Wars. The Death Star's exhaust port, large slow walkers easily tripped by cables, troopers that can barely see and wear bright white even on a forest moon making them stick out like a sore thumb, TIE Fighters having no shields or life support, their ships and space stations have a ton of huge pits with no handrails...

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gammatron 64 posted:

Though while I haven't ever worn a Stormtrooper helmet, I imagine it isn't exactly easy to see out of one.

Probably not.

quote:

Imperial engineering being a huge joke is probably the most realistic thing in Star Wars. The Death Star's exhaust port, large slow walkers easily tripped by cables, troopers that can barely see and wear bright white even on a forest moon making them stick out like a sore thumb, TIE Fighters having no shields or life support, their ships and space stations have a ton of huge pits with no handrails...

There was a one-shot comedy story in an issue of Star Wars Tales where Tarkin and the Death Star's designers present their plans to Palpatine, and he complains about exactly that.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

That's a classic. I posted that video on facebook before and said it was the new Episode VII trailer.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Though while I haven't ever worn a Stormtrooper helmet, I imagine it isn't exactly easy to see out of one. I think Palpatine decided to sacrifice his army's vision so that they look cool and imposing.

In one of the old prop cross sections books for Star Wars, I remember it basically saying Stormtrooper helmet eye piece interface was something like electronic wireframe mode or something.

The guys in the Republic Commando game clearly got the better deal.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Though while I haven't ever worn a Stormtrooper helmet, I imagine it isn't exactly easy to see out of one.

So graceful...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0DuUnhGBK4

EDIT: Holy poo poo that ammo belt! :laugh:

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Dick Trauma posted:

I don't think so. The point was to delay Vader so Luke could escape, and when that was done he let Vader whack him so he could be a glowie and stop having to deal with things like hemorrhoids and sand people vandalizing his moisture vaporators.

You have to figure that not only has Vader spent the last few decades slaughtering his way across the galaxy he learned a hard lesson in losing to Obi Wan when he was younger, and has been getting instructions from his buddy Palpatine on how to be the best Vader possible. Meanwhile Obi Wan was getting older and more decrepit and generally not using his skills. Obi Wan was not going to win that one, even without the stormtrooper bumrush.

Of course the sacrifice idea that was so striking when the first film came out slowly became watered down as more and more jedi died and popped right back up as a glowie, seemingly quite happy and able to interact with the living. I imagine jedi glowie heaven is getting rather crowded at this point and there must be a fair bit of testy jostling at the buffet table.

Obi-Wan, Vader, Yoda, Qui-Gon (but only in Force Peyote dreams)... who else?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Keiya posted:

Obi-Wan, Vader, Yoda, Qui-Gon (but only in Force Peyote dreams)... who else?

I think that's it so far in the new canon. In the old EU, there were lots and lots and lots...

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Force_ghost#Known_Force_ghosts

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
When I did my rewatch a short while ago, I tried the Machete order and skipped Episode I, to see how it would work. Now, I'm going back and rewatching Episode I for the first time in ages. Years, really. I'm not even sure if I rewatched it - or at least not the whole way through - when I got the DVD, which would make it at nearly 10 years since I watched it.

My memories of the film are very different from those of the other two prequel films. I remember those as films I went to see in the cinema when I was 11 and 14; I remember The Phantom Menace as a massive, overwhelming event rather than as a movie. I remember Darth Maul being the coolest character anyone had seen, and I remember the huge raft of tie-in material I had ("WOULD YA LIKE SOME FRESH DRIED CHOKIE?!"). I think it's a more... I don't know, would "distinctive" be the right word? If that's fair, a more distinctive film than the other two. It's not perfect, of course. I'm well aware of the various critiques, but I guess it feels more like Star Wars than the other two, if that makes sense?

I mentioned recently that the sword fighting in this movie is something I like - AOTC is fine but there's not really a great deal of it, I think, while I'd say I enjoy two of the five duels in ROTS (Anakin and Obi-Wan vs Dooku, and Mace vs Sidious). I know Lucas's aim was that the prequels would show the Jedi at their peak, but I think in Episode III, it sometimes came off as a bit too busy and hard to follow (especially Obi-Wan vs Grievous). Yes, I've also seen the video that slags off the lightsabre duelling in Episode I, but to me, it looks a lot more energetic and kinetic without being too whirly-twirly and everything.

EDIT: Actually... You know what? I think this is probably a better movie than either AOTC or ROTS. I've certainly enjoyed rewatching it a lot more than the other two, and for me, that's as good a metric as any. :colbert:

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Oct 3, 2015

khamul
Jul 27, 2006
Shadow of the East
Yeah, my problem with the machete order is that Ep. 1 seems to be objectively a better film than the other two prequels. Honestly, I'd get more out of rereading the movie novelizations and watching the OT. Also, I like the more substantial, hacking lightsaber duels in the OT better than the elaborate gymnastics of the Prequels. The OT lightsaber seems to mimic the heft of a broadsword. As someone who does a lot of research into military history, the "degraded" OT lightsaber duels seem to me to be more straightforward, soldierly-- all the participants are soldiers, not warriors and have long since cut out the dramatic flair and movements of the peacetime Jedi. Put another way, it's like the difference between the foot soldier samurai during the Warring States Period and the swordsmen of the more peaceful Edo era of Japan. Darth Vader and Luke develop as soldiers who have to put their lightsaber to use in a civil war, more often than not against non-saber wielding opponents, whereas the Old Republic Jedi had the leisure of developing elaborate schools of swordsmanship over thousands of years of mostly acting as police.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Right. In the OT, you've got Luke, who's mostly self-taught with a lightsabre; Obi-Wan, who's an old man now; and Darth Vader, who's basically a walking iron lung. So if you're looking for an in-universe justification, of course they're not going to be able to do all the whirly-twirly stuff - I think the most acrobatics you get in the OT is when Luke somersaults over Vader's head in the carbon freezing chamber on Cloud City.

Of course, the real reason, according to Mark Hamill, is that the lightsabre props in the OT were like "the sword Excalibur" and they were just way too heavy to do anything elaborate. :D

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

A lot of people say Episode I is the worst because it has the most Jar Jar, but honestly I'd say it's a more well-made movie than the other two. These days, I see more and more people come to agree with me on that. I think most people can agree that AOTC is the worst, hands down.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Wheat Loaf posted:

Right. In the OT, you've got Luke, who's mostly self-taught with a lightsabre; Obi-Wan, who's an old man now; and Darth Vader, who's basically a walking iron lung. So if you're looking for an in-universe justification, of course they're not going to be able to do all the whirly-twirly stuff - I think the most acrobatics you get in the OT is when Luke somersaults over Vader's head in the carbon freezing chamber on Cloud City.

Of course, the real reason, according to Mark Hamill, is that the lightsabre props in the OT were like "the sword Excalibur" and they were just way too heavy to do anything elaborate. :D

IIRC Hamill said the prop lightsabers were light and that he suggested one-handing them, but it was Lucas who insisted that the lightsabers were Excalibur-heavy.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Yeah, I'm pretty sure the lightsaber props have always been thin plastic sticks.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
The sabers in A New Hope were not. They had spinning reflective tape poles and were battery operated. The cords are hidden in Obi's sleeve.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Pththya-lyi posted:

IIRC Hamill said the prop lightsabers were light and that he suggested one-handing them, but it was Lucas who insisted that the lightsabers were Excalibur-heavy.

Really? Haha, wow. I was pretty sure it was the other way round! :D

Edit: Haha, this was a bit of a low-content post. Sorry. I had my first "proper" afternoon at the gym today and I'm still a bit light-headed (and my arms feel like noodles). :v:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The big thing for me about Phantom Menace is that it feels more "real" than the other two films, and that is helped substantially by the numerous sets and location shooting done for them. They still built a set out in the desert, and more prop buildings than CGI backgrounds. Attack of the Clones was made at the dawn of digital film making, and it has not aged well at all. The scene between Obi Wan, Mace and Yoda in the temple looks ungodly terrible.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
There's also to consider that The Phantom Menace was far and away more of an epic space adventure than it was Politics and the Economy in the Republic, which was not executed in a terribly interesting fashion (save for one good line in ROTS). Which isn't to say politics can't be interesting, it's just that George wasn't able to make the grade.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Strobe posted:

There's also to consider that The Phantom Menace was far and away more of an epic space adventure than it was Politics and the Economy in the Republic, which was not executed in a terribly interesting fashion (save for one good line in ROTS). Which isn't to say politics can't be interesting, it's just that George wasn't able to make the grade.

Which one are you thinking of?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Wheat Loaf posted:

Which one are you thinking of?

"This is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause" would be my guess.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

It's sad how throughout the prequels there are little gems of really good dialogue or single scenes that remind you of 1970s Lucas, but they stick to mind all the more due to what they're surrounded by.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
"Your focus determines your reality." Needless as Qui Gon was in the grand scheme of things, Liam Neeson did put an effort into his role.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Pththya-lyi posted:

Someone should have told Lucas that a bastard sword weighs 1.3-1.6 kg, an one-hand-sword between 800g and 1.2 kg. You can get plenty acrobatic with real world swords, it's just that it was pretty dumb to expose yourself that much without full plate armour.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I always interpreted the lightsaber fight in A New Hope as a combination Obi-wan just stalling while Vader takes a deliberately conservative strategy as an extreme correction to being burned for being over-aggressive last time (pun intended). I also realize this isn't any different to prequel fans jumping through all sorts of logical hoops to convince themselves the story makes sense, but there you go.

One thing I never did understand was why does Obi-Wan's lightsaber seems to short out at times. If it's a special effects gaffe, then why didn't George ever fix it in any of his Special Editions (granted I stopped keeping up with all the changes, so I might be out of date)?

On the topic of the hypothetical weight of a lightsaber, my theory is that part of the technology gives the blade section artificial mass, which would put the center-of-gravity at the hilt (it can't be the Force allowing Jedi to effectively control it otherwise Han would have sliced his foot off while trying to cut open his Tauntan).

That's my two :spergin:s

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

What do you mean shorts out?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

ImpAtom posted:

You can clearly see the prop pole in the core of the lightsaber several times throughout the duel. They sorta kinda half-assed a fix for it...but its still pretty bad.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

SirPhoebos posted:

One thing I never did understand was why does Obi-Wan's lightsaber seems to short out at times. If it's a special effects gaffe, then why didn't George ever fix it in any of his Special Editions (granted I stopped keeping up with all the changes, so I might be out of date)?

I don't think the things George changes has any connection to bad special effects, he probably just watches the movie and certain things just bother him. They could easily have put a rock in front of R2-D2 or put in a sound effect of a guy stepping on a Lego back in 1977. If he wanted to fix real problems he'd get rid of the boxes around all the spaceships.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

ImpAtom posted:

There's one part of the fight where Obi-wan's blade just retracts right back to the emitter, like he forgot to charge it up that morning.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SirPhoebos posted:

The justification I recall reading somewhere (probably second-hand on Wookieepedia) is that Vader's attacks were strong enough that they shorted it out temporarily.

quote:

On the topic of the hypothetical weight of a lightsaber, my theory is that part of the technology gives the blade section artificial mass, which would put the center-of-gravity at the hilt (it can't be the Force allowing Jedi to effectively control it otherwise Han would have sliced his foot off while trying to cut open his Tauntan).

See, one little EU detail that's stuck in my mind for far longer than it deserves comes from one of the Jedi Apprentice books where Obi-Wan doesn't have his lightsabre for whatever reason, and ends up embroiled in a proper sword fight with the young heir to a planet's throne, and although he has the Force to guide him and enough knowledge of fencing techniques to keep up, he's still disadvantaged because the weapon is much heavier than any he's used to.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Wheat Loaf posted:

See, one little EU detail that's stuck in my mind for far longer than it deserves comes from one of the Jedi Apprentice books where Obi-Wan doesn't have his lightsabre for whatever reason, and ends up embroiled in a proper sword fight with the young heir to a planet's throne, and although he has the Force to guide him and enough knowledge of fencing techniques to keep up, he's still disadvantaged because the weapon is much heavier than any he's used to.

Man; if you're gonna delve into my childhood memories and pull out that much nostalgia, warn me first.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
When everyone else my age was into Animorphs, I was into the Jedi Apprentice series.

The various Liam Neeson and Ewan McGregor photoshops they used for all the covers are a bit dodgy in retrospect, though.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Wheat Loaf posted:

When everyone else my age was into Animorphs, I was into the Jedi Apprentice series.

The various Liam Neeson and Ewan McGregor photoshops they used for all the covers are a bit dodgy in retrospect, though.

Some of them were obviously publicity stills and the rest were really really badly manipulated publicity stills.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

jivjov posted:

Some of them were obviously publicity stills and the rest were really really badly manipulated publicity stills.

Hey, The Fight for Truth and The Evil Experiment have great cheesy covers.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I liked how the second one (The Dark Rival) cropped Qui-Gon out of that one shot of him fighting Darth Maul in the desert and added a drawing of Xanatos on the other end.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
So the end of the Servants of the Empire series is infuriatingly vague about what was happening to Dhara.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Wheat Loaf posted:

I liked how the second one (The Dark Rival) cropped Qui-Gon out of that one shot of him fighting Darth Maul in the desert and added a drawing of Xanatos on the other end.

Or simply the fact that they called his enemy loving Xanatos. Interestingly, however, Xanatos was from Telos, which most people now remember from KOTOR 2.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's curious how some of the young readers stuff percolated into the rest of the EU - obviously a lot of the Jedi Prince series never really became as prominent, but Xanatos turning to the dark side and leaving the Jedi was the subject of one of Dark Horse's last comics, and I think one story arc from the Jedi Quest series had a comic adaptation.

And, most obviously, the characters from YJK came to the forefront in the NJO, at least until the whoever was responsible for the direction at the time decided, "No, Luke, Han and Leia are still the main characters; send the next generation into deep space, turn Jacen evil and write Jaina like she's still 17 even though she's closer to 40 than 30."

I'm thinking once I finish the Laundry Files up to the current paperback, then this Neil Gaiman collection I have, I might go on a bit of a Star Wars binge. You know, try out all these books I read like 10 years ago, maybe even report back here if I end up doing it. Might be fun to try. :allears:

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Oct 7, 2015

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I grew up on Jedi Prince, ToTJ, and the essential guides, which all had very similar illustrations that looked really loving cool. It was all very West End inspired. Sad to see that style go away and be replaced by the more streamlined designs from the prequels forward.

Also, Galaxy of Fear. Wasn't there a book where Jabba straight up ate a guy?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Never read Galaxy of Fear - it was the CYOA one, right? Sort of like Give Yourself Goosebumps? Because for quite a while, Wookieepedia's quote-of-the-now was Dan Wallace joking about how each chapter would end with a line like, "Tash stepped off the freighter, and suddenly heard a blood-curdling scream!" then the next one would start something like, "But it was only a cat." Sounds plenty like Goosebumps. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
New Essential Chronology had some great artwork in it. And then it also had artwork where Gondorian Jedi charged the Mumakil at the battle of the pelennor planet. But it also had the Iwo Jima flag on Coruscant.