Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

WrathOfBlade posted:

You miss out on like 95% of the humor in the Wurster calls until you've been listening for a while and can pick out all the callbacks and meta-jokes.

I wouldn't go that far. I was pretty much a fan of his call ins instantly.There are plenty of call backs but they usually were funny to begin with anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eight Dollars
Nov 14, 2012

Pretty pictures in small frames
This is late but man Keith and the Girl were awful.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
To my shame, it took me half a dozen Wurster calls to get on board with their style. Big Bill and Little Bill did the trick: https://wfmu.org/flashplayer.php?version=1&show=36270&archive=61585

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

I haven't listened to the show in awhile though I think he still is very funny. The forced interviews every week really turned me off. Tom is no Charlie rose and his guests are boring to me. I have no interest in the guy who created aqua teen hunger force. I miss his celeb friends who would call in earnest because they like the show not this forced thing to get new listeners. Maybe I'll check back in in a year or so

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

He used to pride himself on not having celeb guests every week and I wish he would go back to that, to that natural flow of the show that he cultivated since Clinton was in office

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

tumor looking batty posted:

He used to pride himself on not having celeb guests every week and I wish he would go back to that, to that natural flow of the show that he cultivated since Clinton was in office
Eh, looking at the WFMU archive even in 2001 he had the two guys from Bands On The Run, the Perry Farrell no-show, that really boring episode with the Nostrodamus scholar and his first author interview with Michael Azerrad. The year after that had the first appearance by the Aqua Teen guys.

I definitely think he doesn't dedicate as much of the show to taking calls as he used to but that was a trend that started the last few years on WFMU.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Eight Dollars posted:

Super bad. Dragged that whole show down.

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

Eight Dollars posted:

Just the worst. Hearing the one guy complaining about "whores" on Tom's airwaves without retribution was troubling. Lip' Bub's owner was also pretty trying.

The straightforward call-in shows are still the best, but the interviews can be good when Tom has some kind of common ground with the person and can get a good rapport going. I'm sure most of the "celeb friends" started as normal guest spots.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Yeah I generally skip over the interviews these days, especially if they're on the phone. I love KITH but I had no interest in listening to Kevin on a crackly phone talking to Tom. Same goes for the Aqua Teen guy, a show I think I watched twice when I was a teenager. The show is definitely at its best when it's a straightforward call-in show. This week's episode was good - no celebrities, solid topic, good Wurster call, and a sound collage.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

oh yeah and considering how bad and boring the Keith and the Girl people were on the Best Show, I cannot imagine how they manage to put out like 5 podcasts a week or whatever it was they said

Asterios
Apr 17, 2008

So long, Skorpex!

https://www.presidentbaby.com
I liked Keith & The Girl. They have a humongous audience and brought Tom on to help promote the new show, and it was cool of him to return the favor. They're a lot more coarse than Tom, but it's fun to hear him play different styles.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
I really want more guests who come to the studio and take calls with Tom, Kindler would be spectacular for that.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Illinois Smith posted:

I really want more guests who come to the studio and take calls with Tom, Kindler would be spectacular for that.

This. These are the best guests.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
I really have to go back some time and re-listen to my first few shows (the first episode I ever heard was the Gathering of the Juggalos) because I'm pretty sure I didn't realize until the fourth one that the JW calls were A) fake and B) all the same guy.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

The Bunk posted:

I really have to go back some time and re-listen to my first few shows (the first episode I ever heard was the Gathering of the Juggalos) because I'm pretty sure I didn't realize until the fourth one that the JW calls were A) fake and B) all the same guy.

A very memorable moment with my dad was when during a road trip, I played the Bruce Springsteen book bit without introducing it. He had no knowledge of the best show besides it being a radio program [We might have listened to the "list of ranking everything" before hand, I don't remember]. He wasn't paying that much attention, but I think it took to the wearable motorcycle t-shirt to realize it was fake. I was astonished that it took him that long.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

The Bunk posted:

You're not alone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvABt2uXRzY

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

I tracked down the very first Philly Boy Roy call a while ago out of curiosity. He actually interacted with callers ala Rock Rot & Rule and basically everybody seemed to believe he was an actual person.

What do you guys think are good clips for getting new people into the show? Gathering of the Juggalos is a great one. I think Tom's recap of Beatlefest did it for me.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

WrathOfBlade posted:

I tracked down the very first Philly Boy Roy call a while ago out of curiosity. He actually interacted with callers ala Rock Rot & Rule and basically everybody seemed to believe he was an actual person.

What do you guys think are good clips for getting new people into the show? Gathering of the Juggalos is a great one. I think Tom's recap of Beatlefest did it for me.

I think "Sucks" might be good as a barometer if the show ['s fake calls] is for them or not.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

CaptainPsyko posted:

This. These are the best guests.
Hodgman hasn't been on the new show yet, right? I have high hopes for him dropping in towards the end of the year when his tour's done. Same for Nathan Fielder since he has a new season coming out in a few weeks.

WrathOfBlade posted:

The first two years have people calling in with "this guy sounded crazy / fake" after a lot of the Wurster / Benjamin / Walsh calls and also a lot of Knowing Winks from the people who got what they were doing.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Oct 2, 2015

SoupyTwist
Feb 20, 2008

WrathOfBlade posted:

His takedown of the Billy Crystal's Jazz Man Katrina bit, it's Tom at his curmudgeonly peak.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

The Bunk posted:

I listened to almost the entire "Music Scholar" before I realized it was a bit when I recently started getting into this show.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

AndrewP posted:

I listened to almost the entire "Music Scholar" before I realized it was a bit when I recently started getting into this show.

Do you mean to have me believe that Madness didn't invent Ska? :colbert:

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Maarak posted:

To my shame, it took me half a dozen Wurster calls to get on board with their style. Big Bill and Little Bill did the trick: https://wfmu.org/flashplayer.php?version=1&show=36270&archive=61585
Seconding this, the concept is simple and classic and Jon and Tom do a great job with it

Also the Best Show Gem that really got me into the show was actually not a Wurster call, but Jon Benjamin calling in as a Regional Sales Director for Smirnoff Ice, it's hilarious though unfortunately not necessarily representative since I think Benjamin didn't do a lot of those?

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Benjamin, Matt Walsh and a third guy whose name I can never remember are all over the first year or so of the shows (the first archived one is just two hours of them trying to kill eachother in the studio with Wurster calling in a few times) and then by 2002 they changed it to mostly Scharpling / Wurster bits.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

het posted:

Seconding this, the concept is simple and classic and Jon and Tom do a great job with it

Also the Best Show Gem that really got me into the show was actually not a Wurster call, but Jon Benjamin calling in as a Regional Sales Director for Smirnoff Ice, it's hilarious though unfortunately not necessarily representative since I think Benjamin didn't do a lot of those?

I once tried to count the number of times Benjamin name checked Smirnoff Ice and it made the whole bit twice as funny.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Maarak posted:

I once tried to count the number of times Benjamin name checked Smirnoff Ice and it made the whole bit twice as funny.

put some coffee liquer in it you got a smirnoff ice mexican jam band

edit the first one I ever listened to was the first podcast episode and I fell in love with this strange man grumbling about Ringo immediately, the next ones I listened to were Tom and PFT discussing the Gathering and the next day's Rabid B Hatchetman call

e2: listening to big bill/little bill for the first time and its killing me

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Oct 3, 2015

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

The topic part this week where Tom tells Mike to only put women through and just gets more and more annoyed with the parade of dudes is magic.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Agreed, I also liked Mike and Gary's new show.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

tumor looking batty posted:

I haven't listened to the show in awhile though I think he still is very funny. The forced interviews every week really turned me off. Tom is no Charlie rose and his guests are boring to me. I have no interest in the guy who created aqua teen hunger force. I miss his celeb friends who would call in earnest because they like the show not this forced thing to get new listeners. Maybe I'll check back in in a year or so

lol

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Yay, Nathan's back next week!

I don't think Julie Klausner is funny at all but she really brings out the best in Tom's impression game.

Spiral Architect
Jun 26, 2004

Illinois Smith posted:

Benjamin, Matt Walsh and a third guy whose name I can never remember are all over the first year or so of the shows (the first archived one is just two hours of them trying to kill eachother in the studio with Wurster calling in a few times) and then by 2002 they changed it to mostly Scharpling / Wurster bits.

Andrew Earles was the other caller

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Illinois Smith posted:

Yay, Nathan's back next week!

I don't think Julie Klausner is funny at all but she really brings out the best in Tom's impression game.

Julie Klausner reminds me of Laurie in the sense that she isn't really that entertaining on her own, but she really amps Tom up to be extra funny so I always look forward to her. I wonder what ever happened to Laurie.

Edit: actually I felt the same way about PFT. He was probably the best of anyone in that regard, but I usually didn't find him all that funny.

Duro
May 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Wurster's line about going to buy gold mailboxes was classic

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

I relistened to Nathan's last appearance and the half of the show that turns into Shingles Going Steady is one of my favorite call-in stretches of the show.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Are we talking about Nathan Fielder here? I'm not caught up yet.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

yeah he was going to be on this week but then I think he had to reschedule for next week (I still have about 75 minutes left of this week's so maybe I'm wrong and he shows up, but earlier in the ep Tom said "next week instead")

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Didn't the show get started late this week? I couldn't listen live, but it shows up as a half hour shorter than usual in iTunes.

Maybe they missed his availability window.

Roger Troutman
Jan 11, 2007

What I do is sometimes get a tin of soup, heat it up, poach an egg in it, serve that with a pork pie sausage roll.
That's exactly it. The show started about an hour late due to tech difficulties and Dudio then arrived and got things going.

Nathan's recent visit to CBB has me pretty excited to hear from him, especially if he deals with callers.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
I'm usually not a big fan of Tim Heidecker but him calling in as the Muppets insider was brilliant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

NESguerilla posted:

Julie Klausner reminds me of Laurie in the sense that she isn't really that entertaining on her own, but she really amps Tom up to be extra funny so I always look forward to her. I wonder what ever happened to Laurie.

Edit: actually I felt the same way about PFT. He was probably the best of anyone in that regard, but I usually didn't find him all that funny.

She also stopped calling into 7 Second Delay around the same time as the Regular Caller Ban, iirc.