Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Guy I work with angles for sympathy because his commute is 90 minutes in each direction.

Uh, sorry you don't know how to sell your house or get a new job, I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Guy I work with angles for sympathy because his commute is 90 minutes in each direction.

One of my former coworkers works in the center of Copenhagen but he and his wife insist on living in the countryside so they can raise horses. It's a 90-minute ride when he avoids rush hours, but he took the opportunity to buy a nice Mercedes and sees the commute as a way to relax and unwind.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
That sounds great. I mean to be clear, I don't mind a 90 minute commute. Make it a one week commute. Live on the moon, I don't give a poo poo. But if you're a highly skilled professional making 6 figures, I don't want to hear a woe is me story about where you choose to live. There are people with actual hardships, and if you have an MSDN subscription, you are not one of them.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

There are people with actual hardships, and if you have an MSDN subscription, you are not one of them.

Thanks for the new Facebook status. Goes well together with the "If you can livetweet your ordeal, it's not an ordeal".

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Someone livetweeted the Bin Laden raid and that was an ordeal

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Uh, sorry you don't know how to sell your house or get a new job, I guess?

These people drive me crazy too

"Sorry I'd like to stay back and do X task but I'll miss the last train"

It shits me more that they're allowed to get away with that poo poo. maybe I should just say I moved that far away too.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

theperminator posted:

It shits me more that they're allowed to get away with that poo poo. maybe I should just say I moved that far away too.

What's keeping you?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I love troubleshooting magical network issues in the most shittily-wired building you can imagine.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Mu Zeta posted:

Someone livetweeted the Bin Laden raid and that was an ordeal

I'm pretty sure the raid was worse for Bin Laden than it was for the guy tweeting it.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

theperminator posted:

When I worked for the local VA hospital, some of the doctors had pagers but lived outside of the pager service area, and still got paid for being on-call.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Bob Morales posted:

I love troubleshooting magical network issues in the most shittily-wired building you can imagine.

Fortigate froze up, sorta. Ugh.

I had a voice mail that said, "Bob...you changed the internet things *click*"

A half hour later I got a slightly more descriptive helpdesk ticket: "Have not been able to sign in, NET DOWN. Ipad has no connection. Wireless issues."

Leading me to discover it's more than one user having the problem.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

theperminator posted:

I dunno man, that's a pretty damned good reason to leave, but if they're doing that on the regular to leave early, they should be coming in a bit early to make up for it.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

evobatman posted:

Thanks for the new Facebook status. Goes well together with the "If you can livetweet your ordeal, it's not an ordeal".
lol even when I posted it, I was like, whoa bruh I nailed that one.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

That sounds great. I mean to be clear, I don't mind a 90 minute commute. Make it a one week commute. Live on the moon, I don't give a poo poo. But if you're a highly skilled professional making 6 figures, I don't want to hear a woe is me story about where you choose to live. There are people with actual hardships, and if you have an MSDN subscription, you are not one of them.

Strange, it's almost as if your choice of home is influenced by more than your salary?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Is it almost like that or is it like that? And are you asking me or telling me? Use your words.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I lived in a van one summer while in Alaska when I was making about $60k a year. It was probably the best time of my life and I saved a ton of money. Then I went and ruined it by getting a girlfriend and a dog who didnt love the van life as much as me. Good lord I saved so much money. I had no commute because I would just park for the night across the lot from work. I wish I could live in an RV or something now, but the lot fee's would kill me and I'd have to shuffle from Wal-Mart to Wal-Mart.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Did your van have a big custom mural on the side? This is important.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Sadly no, it was just a black van. It was an old surplus fleet vehicle so it did have the metal bars on the inside of the windows though.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I lived in a van one summer while in Alaska when I was making about $60k a year. It was probably the best time of my life and I saved a ton of money. Then I went and ruined it by getting a girlfriend and a dog who didnt love the van life as much as me. Good lord I saved so much money. I had no commute because I would just park for the night across the lot from work. I wish I could live in an RV or something now, but the lot fee's would kill me and I'd have to shuffle from Wal-Mart to Wal-Mart.

Get a micro house.

mewse
May 2, 2006

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Honest question: did you shower at a truck stop? What did you do in your off time, read books?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

mewse posted:

Honest question: did you shower at a truck stop? What did you do in your off time, read books?

I would wake up super early and go to the rec center to take a shower before work. If I didnt get up early enough I would miss out on the individual showers and be forced to shower in the big group prison style shower with all of the grungy gold miners.

It was summer in Alaska so I'd mostly be outside fishing or hiking, I worked out 5-6 times a week at the rec center too. At the end of the day when I was finally in for the night I'd just read or watch a movie on my laptop. The only real hassle is if I had to take a dump late at night. Then I'd be forced to walk into work and use the bathrooms there.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

At hell job I used to set my voice mail to be something like "This is Sir Fat Jony Ives, I'm currently unable to take phone calls, if this is a support emergency call 555-212-2121, and I still got a ton of phone calls with "Why aren't you calling me back?"

When I quit, I got a call from a bank that had a trading floor that I managed their phone system, our company didn't really have anyone else with the skill set, so they were kind of in an awkward place with that client. The client called me, and basically said "you can't quit, what are we supposed to do?" I said I already quit and I'm at my new job, so I'm sorry. The guy started yelling at me, called me a few colorful metaphors and basically said come work for me directly, and don't say no. It was strange, I was polite but refused and he flipped out. I ended up just hanging up on him.

Bank trading floors are generally kind of known for being a maximum-arsehole environment aren't they? (but with great pay to compensate)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

BaseballPCHiker posted:

The only real hassle is if I had to take a dump late at night. Then I'd be forced to walk into work and use the bathrooms there.
You didn't have access to a pickle jar?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

We have a site in Central America, and I don't mean Central USA. I get a phone call a few minutes ago, so 10:20 for them 12:20 for me.

:downs: Hello I can't access the shared folder
:cool: what error are you getting?
:downs: I don't know remote in and fix it.
:cool: email me a picture of the error
:downs: my email isn't working.

I go to remote into the server, it's not responding. Okay a bit odd I go to check my monitoring software and the server has been off since 9PM last night (alerts are disabled for that server because it will send me alerts all day long because their internet isn't reliable and they only have the one server, so running a local monitor wouldn't accomplish much).

:cool: please turn the server on
:downs: oh power went out last night could that cause the server to turn off?

What the gently caress have them been doing all day? They get in at 7AM.

I probably should set up a probe, but the open IT position down there should also be filled and I shouldn't be worrying about if the server is powered on.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I have 3 different customers right now that are each making me do their information security and PII/PHI training to get accounts on their networks. It's highly annoying.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

mattfl posted:

My wife's brother, who is 22 and fresh out of the army, wants to "do computers" for his job/career. We were talking the other day about something and he asked me what does it mean that a computer has 1TB of harddrive space and 8GB of memory, what's the difference between them?

I do not see a very long career "doing computers" for him.

This is going to sound rude but literally every IT person in that age group I've run around in has to be led to solutions to problems by the nose. Use a troubleshooting methodology, and failing that google? Nope. I'm just going to walk around all day asking the older guys what to do when the wireless mouse won't work (Replace the batteries idiot).

My desktop support guy is 20, and half my day is spent yelling basic troubleshooting steps at him. "Ok now remove it and re-add it. Try reinstalling the driver. Restart it."

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Rhymenoserous posted:

This is going to sound rude but literally every IT person in that age group I've run around in has to be led to solutions to problems by the nose. Use a troubleshooting methodology, and failing that google? Nope. I'm just going to walk around all day asking the older guys what to do when the wireless mouse won't work (Replace the batteries idiot).

My desktop support guy is 20, and half my day is spent yelling basic troubleshooting steps at him. "Ok now remove it and re-add it. Try reinstalling the driver. Restart it."

Ugh this, our helpdesk somehow went 100% full retard after I got promoted to sys admin and now I get escalated tickets where they don't even bother looking at the eventlog or doing basic troubleshooting, it's painful.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Rhymenoserous posted:

Seriously, I don't know how it's so hard for people to troubleshoot.

My team of developers will regularly call me to troubleshoot something in their code, even knowing full well it's not a system problem because I'm the only one in our group that can parse log files and make sense of them. Sometimes it's as simple as an entry that says "file not found" and I just say you named the file wrong. It's awful.

When I was in vocational school (I took aircraft mechanics in high school), the teach beat troubleshooting methodology into us.

He had a shelf of large wooden boxes with simple circuits of lightbulbs, switches and test points. On the back was a bunch of switches that would introduce different faults and break the circuits. You had to take a volt/ohm meter and check the system from the outside of the closed box and map out the circuit and then indicate where the faults were.

You had to be able to envision what was going onside a closed system and use insight to solve it. It was really hard, but taught you how to troubleshoot.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Yeah, at the time I was a little naive and a little new to working in this kind of environment. I learned a lot, and it gave me a high tolerance to stress, but since leaving my life has improved 100000%.

I absolutely will not take people's abuse like you did. Allowing it even once encourages it in the future. I had one specific conversation two jobs ago that basically consisted of me saying "Look, I don't know what complete wallflower you had in this position before that made you think this kind of abuse is acceptable in a work environment, but let me assure you I'm not THAT grateful for my employment that I'll put up with poo poo like this. Talk to me like an adult or I can walk out and you can continue your conversation with the wall."

I'll even shut down raised voices or yelling. I'm a fixer. I fix things. Tell me what the problem is and I'll fix it, even with my own behaviors.

I'm going on 36 years of age, I'm far too old to be cowed or impressed by someone pitching their toys out of the pram and throwing a fit.

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Oct 2, 2015

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
It's been a fairly long week and I just about snapped at a lady who got all pissy that this iPad we're letting her borrow "wasn't ready" when she showed up to pick it up, because we hadn't gotten her email account set up on it. Lady do we know your password? Did we not just have you punch it in for us to complete the process?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Seriously, I don't know how it's so hard for people to troubleshoot.

I got stuck with a new hire like that once. He was infuriating to work with. His troubleshooting consisted of asking me how to fix everything. I sat down with him and for months tried to teach him some basic proper troubleshooting methodologies. Just basic stuff, like starting at layer 1 and working your way up, process of elimination, breaking issues down to smaller components, googling, etc. He would just stare at something for a while give up and ask me. Eventually he got fired for sleeping on the job.

I get being new and not knowing about something but you should be able to or at least try to apply some logic and start with some basic troubleshooting.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Rhymenoserous posted:

I absolutely will not take people's abuse like you did. Allowing it even once encourages it in the future. I had one specific conversation two jobs ago that basically consisted of me saying "Look, I don't know what complete wallflower you had in this position before that made you think this kind of abuse is acceptable in a work environment, but let me assure you I'm not THAT grateful for my employment that I'll put up with poo poo like this. Talk to me like an adult or I can walk out and you can continue your conversation with the wall."

I'll even shut down raised voices or yelling. I'm a fixer. I fix things. Tell me what the problem is and I'll fix it, even with my own behaviors.

I'm going on 36 years of age, I'm far too old to be cowed or impressed by someone pitching their toys out of the pram and throwing a fit.

I know, I only blame myself. At the time, though, I needed the job, and I didn't have the luxury of just walking.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
It keeps rejecting my password as not complex enough.

Cool thanks for the heads up.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

It keeps rejecting my password as not complex enough.

Cool thanks for the heads up.

Had a user do this, "gee it's over 8 characters has a number and a capital, I'm using %firstname%%birthyear%".

I told them it was because their username was part of the password, I'm not even sure if windows checks for that but gently caress it that is not your password. They were wondering how to remember it so I asked them what their favorite song was and picked out a line from that and told them to use that. They now have a password over 30 characters long that they remember.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
For troubleshooting, I think Navy Six-Step Troubleshooting might be a useful method for new technicians.

It's highly structured, but when you're inexperienced, that's a good thing. Especially the symptoms identification steps and the root cause analysis step.

For troubleshooting a wireless mouse, before you start checking batteries, make a note of the actual symptoms.

Symptoms might be "Mouse Cursor does not move, button presses don't register"

Or

"Mouse Cursor moves in stuttering jumps, button presses have unusual 'sticky' feel to them"

This is a good time to do some easy visual checks. Is the optical sensor light on? Is there a light on the USB dongle?

At the elaboration step, you're going to need to perform more detailed observation, guided by your initial observations.

This might involve checking error logs, or maybe testing the mouse on different areas of the desk.

I can go through all six steps if there's interest (I'm phoneposting), but there should be some good sources online.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

pixaal posted:

Had a user do this, "gee it's over 8 characters has a number and a capital, I'm using %firstname%%birthyear%".

I told them it was because their username was part of the password, I'm not even sure if windows checks for that but gently caress it that is not your password. They were wondering how to remember it so I asked them what their favorite song was and picked out a line from that and told them to use that. They now have a password over 30 characters long that they remember.

My hedge fund had a guy that hated password expirations and complex passwords. He kept asking me to remove the requirements, and the manager, who didn't like him, kept saying no and had me enforce more an more complex passwords to piss the guy off.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
gently caress adp time clock support.

That is all.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

My hedge fund had a guy that hated password expirations and complex passwords. He kept asking me to remove the requirements, and the manager, who didn't like him, kept saying no and had me enforce more an more complex passwords to piss the guy off.

One of our managers has a password here of the number 1. He had been asking me to relax the requirements for two years and I kept saying "No."

I get a new manager and he immediately rolls over and makes it so this guy can have the password of 1.

I just shrugged my shoulders and said "When he pisses off one of his subordinates and they send out the raunchiest dickgirl porn to our customers/employees that they can find under his user, don't you loving dare ask me how we can "Stop this from happening in the future."

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Rhymenoserous posted:

I just shrugged my shoulders and said "When he pisses off one of his subordinates and they send out the raunchiest dickgirl porn to our customers/employees that they can find under his user, don't you loving dare ask me how we can "Stop this from happening in the future."

Sounds like you're suspect #1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Sounds like you're suspect #1

#1 with a capital 1