Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

smoobles posted:

What if you upgrade every other year? Someone said Upgrade program is $2 cheaper factoring in Apple Care, does that about sum it up?

The other advantage to Apple's upgrade program is that unlike a carrier's 24 month purchase program, under Apple's program you've bought an unlocked phone and it's not bound to any carrier (even though it requires an activation on one of the big 4 to take it out the door). So if you jump ship from carrier A to carrier B, you can take your phone with you, and your payment plan balance does not become immediately due and payable to carrier A.

If nothing else, money later is worth less than money now, so take the 24 month interest free loan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

kitten smoothie posted:

The other advantage to Apple's upgrade program is that unlike a carrier's 24 month purchase program, under Apple's program you've bought an unlocked phone and it's not bound to any carrier (even though it requires an activation on one of the big 4 to take it out the door). So if you jump ship from carrier A to carrier B, you can take your phone with you, and your payment plan balance does not become immediately due and payable to carrier A.

If nothing else, money later is worth less than money now, so take the 24 month interest free loan.

That's true of buying it full price too though. Trying to see if there's a financial pro/con to buying/upgrade program'ing if I won't get another phone til the 7S.

Edit: ok I missed your 2nd paragraph. Def gonna do the upgrade.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

I'm transferring over from my iPhone 5 to my iPhone 6S today. Besides backing up my phone and transferring off all my photos and such, what else should I do? I've seen things such as 'Turn off Find My iPhone' and 'Log out of iMessage/iCloud/App Store', but googling hasn't come up with helpful resources confirming the need to do this and what all I should take care of.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

If you wanna sell your phone, turn off find my iPhone and logout of iCloud after backing it up.

Otherwise you don't have to do much other than restore from backup on the new phone.

Then do a reset on your old phone if you're selling it, once your backup is confirmed good.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Pivo posted:

If you wanna sell your phone, turn off find my iPhone and logout of iCloud after backing it up.

Otherwise you don't have to do much other than restore from backup on the new phone.

Then do a reset on your old phone if you're selling it, once your backup is confirmed good.

Does the advice for selling stay the same if I am giving the phone to my wife for her use?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Klungar posted:

Does the advice for selling stay the same if I am giving the phone to my wife for her use?

Unless you share an icloud account, yes.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I suppose. If find my iPhone is on, activation lock will be triggered if the phone gets wiped. You'll be able to unlock it with your Apple ID of course since its your wife and not a mugger but easier to log out before you wipe it.

Edit: I should note that this is apples recommended procedure when selling or gifting an iPhone

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

nwin posted:

What's the deal with this? I just got a 6s but haven't used headphones yet. What is there to look for?

Headphones will slide maybe 1/4 of the way out of the jack with little to no force.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
What's a good thin case that provides at least a minimum of edge glass protection? I don't care about dropping on concrete, but I want something as thin as possible while having just enough of a bezel to hold up to falling on a wood floor, and just thick enough to protect the camera lip and with a little more grip than the bare phone. Looked at Spigen Air Case and Caudabe Veil but they seem to fail on the front bezel front, and for super thin cases I want a guaranteed to fit 6s case - I'm tired of these Amazon cases claiming to be 6s compatible when I suspect they just changed the title.

Selane
May 19, 2006

Enderzero posted:

What's a good thin case that provides at least a minimum of edge glass protection? I don't care about dropping on concrete, but I want something as thin as possible while having just enough of a bezel to hold up to falling on a wood floor, and just thick enough to protect the camera lip and with a little more grip than the bare phone. Looked at Spigen Air Case and Caudabe Veil but they seem to fail on the front bezel front, and for super thin cases I want a guaranteed to fit 6s case - I'm tired of these Amazon cases claiming to be 6s compatible when I suspect they just changed the title.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

This is in fact the best option

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
You realize the difference is .2mm between 6 and 6S right? That's "gently caress we need something to post about until they release actual information" territory. Get whatever and stop worrying about it. I have a 6 case on my 6s+, it's whatever.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Josh Lyman posted:

Nope, bottom is completely unprotected.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Plus-havers, I am a fan of the nobiggi: http://www.getnobiggi.com/

It's a cloth band that lets you hold the phone one-handed easily without adding much bulk.

For my 6 Plus I put it on a case, but for my 6s Plus I put it on the phone itself, since the phone feels so much sturdier and resilient than the 6 Plus. Also I'm on the Apple Upgrade Program so I don't really have as much of an incentive to keep it in pristine condition.

manwithoutskin
Mar 24, 2006
can you see the line where the water ends
For everyone saying hit the screen power button to unlock your phone to see notifications.. do you have all your prints saved or what?? I think it's pretty nifty being able to press with a saved print and go right to action or an off finger and check for notifications and having the screen right back to off.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
If I want to see my notifications I use the sleep/wake button.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

manwithoutskin posted:

do you have all your prints saved or what??

No, but both of my thumbs. More awkward to hit the Home button with another finger than to just click Sleep/Wake.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah there's no way to slow that down just a bit? When locked I'd like to be able to use the home button as an actual button if I just want to light up the screen to see my notifications. My Air 2 is really pretty perfect as far as that goes.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

NyetscapeNavigator posted:

Plus-havers, I am a fan of the nobiggi: http://www.getnobiggi.com/

It's a cloth band that lets you hold the phone one-handed easily without adding much bulk.

For my 6 Plus I put it on a case, but for my 6s Plus I put it on the phone itself, since the phone feels so much sturdier and resilient than the 6 Plus. Also I'm on the Apple Upgrade Program so I don't really have as much of an incentive to keep it in pristine condition.

Do you have any size comparisons since there are two sizes? I think I might plunk down and pick one up.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Mulva posted:

Nope, bottom is completely unprotected.

I hate when I drop rocks on the bottom of my phone or something idk what it matters

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
So what is the easiest way to transfer over all my photos to my new phone? I plan on doing a clean start up and not restoring from a backup.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Etrips posted:

So what is the easiest way to transfer over all my photos to my new phone? I plan on doing a clean start up and not restoring from a backup.

just restore from icloud don't be a punk rear end ho

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Just turned on iCloud Photo Library. Is there a way to import older pictures I've taken on previous iPhones? Like I have a gigantic folder in my Dropbox of photos from another iPhone I had and none of these pictures are in my iCloud Photo Library and I'd like them to be.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Do you have a Mac with Photos?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Boris Galerkin posted:

Just turned on iCloud Photo Library. Is there a way to import older pictures I've taken on previous iPhones? Like I have a gigantic folder in my Dropbox of photos from another iPhone I had and none of these pictures are in my iCloud Photo Library and I'd like them to be.

If you're on a mac, can you drag & drop those photos to your Photo library?

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I keep track of paying my bills by using an excel spreadsheet. I just have a simple list of what needs to be paid every month. Bills that haven't been paid are in red font and I change them to black font when they're paid. I make a new tab every month.

I keep this file on a thumb drive attached to my keychain so I can pay and keep track of my bills on my work computer if needed (work blocks google docs). I just thought today that this is stupid and archaic and I should just find an iPhone app to accomplish this simple task. Any suggestions on a good app for doing something simple like this? I don't want to track my spending, have it link to my accounts, or anything fancy. I mean I guess it could have the fancy stuff, I don't just don't want to be required to use it for my simple task.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

Boris Galerkin posted:

You can drag the pictures into the Photo Library thing on icloud.com. On the phone, you can also save them from your Dropbox to the actual camera roll and I THINK that will work as well. I think this is how I got all of my old photos onto the current phone.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Haggins posted:

I keep track of paying my bills by using an excel spreadsheet. I just have a simple list of what needs to be paid every month. Bills that haven't been paid are in red font and I change them to black font when they're paid. I make a new tab every month.

I keep this file on a thumb drive attached to my keychain so I can pay and keep track of my bills on my work computer if needed (work blocks google docs). I just thought today that this is stupid and archaic and I should just find an iPhone app to accomplish this simple task. Any suggestions on a good app for doing something simple like this? I don't want to track my spending, have it link to my accounts, or anything fancy. I mean I guess it could have the fancy stuff, I don't just don't want to be required to use it for my simple task.

Have you tried the Apple Numbers app? I've never used it but it's their spreadsheet solution.

http://www.apple.com/ios/numbers/

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Aw man, I didn't realize Apple's phone upgrade plan is only available if you have an active account with one of the big four. I thought I'd be able to use it for cricket but no dice.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Haggins posted:

I'm sure there are a million budget tracking apps, but in the meantime you could always use onenote or excel for iOS - store it on onedrive and keep it synced no matter where you access it from

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
What is the best budget tracking app

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Josh Lyman posted:

The best iPhone case.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Expensive fuckin case right there

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Haggins posted:

Reminders.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
No case, no Applecare+

I like to live on the edge :cool:

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

BGrifter posted:

The best iPhone case.

pleb

here's mine

seriously tho the only reason i use a case is cause the iphone is slippery as gently caress without one, to the point where i've dropped it on my face more than once using it caseless in bed

all those grip tapes either look like rear end

or are made from literal skateboard deck surface and will bore holes in your pockets

pretty tempted by that nobiggi stuff

e: well poo poo on a stick nobiggi doesnt ship to australia

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Oct 2, 2015

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

powderific posted:

Aw man, I didn't realize Apple's phone upgrade plan is only available if you have an active account with one of the big four. I thought I'd be able to use it for cricket but no dice.

Just get it and activate it for a month on t-mobile or any other carrier that has month to month plans and immediately cancel.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

seriously tho the only reason i use a case is cause the iphone is slippery as gently caress without one, to the point where i've dropped it on my face more than once using it caseless in bed

As much as I was a proponent of caseless with AppleCare+ for the 5s I might try out one of those Apple leather ones when I get the 6s. When trying the 6 in stores I found it didn't grip as solidly as the 5s between the size increase and the rounded edges. Seems a lot easier to drop.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

noirstronaut posted:

What is the best budget tracking app

I like You Need A Budget (YNAB)-it syncs across devices and is pretty easy to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

CancerStick posted:

Anybody ever have the lock screen notifications show the wrong time since you received a notification. A lot of times it will say it had been 2 minutes or whatever since an iMessage but when I open the message it's been over half an hour or whatever

Not sure if this is related to the clock speeding up problem - my iPad, when set to automatically sync the time, will gain time somehow. It's two minutes approx ahead of every other device.

It breaks Google Authenticator!