Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I would also suggest playing on a slower speed setting, 3-4 max. Be very strategic and deliberate with your actions, pause often.

Hoard monarch points in general.

Edit: as much as battles might seem to have a lot of tactical depth, the strategic elements of having enough troops with enough morale and a good general in favorable terrain are much more important.

This is particularly true if you have Common Sense with the fort changes. Strategic depth becomes a lot more important relative to winning battles.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Oct 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Cynic Jester posted:

If you don't want to play color the map, I don't think EU4 is the right game for you. That is not to say the stuff between wars could be better, but that same stuff actively preventing you from expanding would be awful.

I just want a reason to not be at war other than "I have no manpower or money" or "my WE is rediculously high and I have no dip points". I should feel like taking more territory would be actively harmful sometimes because it causes enough internal instability that it outweighs the benefit from holding extra provinces.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

I would suggest England as a great newbie start. With the caveat of as soon as france declares on you give them all your europen territory back.

Your navy should be more than good enough to keep you safe while you learn wtf. You have ireland and scotland to beat up in easy early wars (scotland may be slightly tough). You get some interesting but not horrible early disasters. Can then chill and try out exploration and colonisation both in the americas and asia while getting involved in continental wars on an 'as you please' basis.

Also trade.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

I would suggest England as a great newbie start. With the caveat of as soon as france declares on you give them all your europen territory back.

Your navy should be more than good enough to keep you safe while you learn wtf. You have ireland and scotland to beat up in easy early wars (scotland may be slightly tough). You get some interesting but not horrible early disasters. Can then chill and try out exploration and colonisation both in the americas and asia while getting involved in continental wars on an 'as you please' basis.

Also trade.

I don't think he owns Common Sense, in which case England is actually straight up broken IIRC. One of their disasters at some point triggers if you don't have any parliamentary debate going, and you can't have those without CS, so you have to avoid getting the English parliament or eat up the disaster.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

PittTheElder posted:

Get into Egypt now. You can avoid conflict with the Ottomans if you know what you're doing. Mainly this works because the Ottomans can't get the Conquer Egypt mission unless they have a land border with the Mamluks, and own Jerusalem. So your goal now needs to be to declare war on the Mamluks, pull the Ottos in, and take every Mamluk province the borders the Levantine provinces that the Ottomans get claims on as part of the Conquer Levant mission. This can be multiple wars as needed, making sure you give the Ottomans exactly 1 Levantine province per war to keep them happy, and that you give them Jerusalem last. Ultimately you want to own the coasts of Egypt and the Sinai, and hand the Ottomans Jerusalem in the very last war.

That's how I took Egypt as Tunis in my Sons of Carthage run, and it worked marvellously.

That's ... extremely tempting. Here's the thing though: I cannot get a CB against mamluks. I cannot fabricate a claim and they are too far away to use the herecy CB. I also can't use the justify trade conflict. So it'd have to be a no-CB war. Now on the one hand I can afford a no-CB war (I have religious completed) and the Mamluk ally is Yemen so I'd take one of their provinces to get the coring distance, but I'm not sure how that will affect my alliance/trust with the Ottomans.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

double nine posted:

That's ... extremely tempting. Here's the thing though: I cannot get a CB against mamluks. I cannot fabricate a claim and they are too far away to use the herecy CB. I also can't use the justify trade conflict. So it'd have to be a no-CB war. Now on the one hand I can afford a no-CB war (I have religious completed) and the Mamluk ally is Yemen so I'd take one of their provinces to get the coring distance, but I'm not sure how that will affect my alliance/trust with the Ottomans.

If you can declare war on one of the Mamluks' allies instead of the Mamluks directly you can avoid starting a no-CB war. If there's no significant other allies with that ally then you can even set the Mamluks as a co-belligerent and dodge having to deal with taking land from a non-cobelligerent.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

YF-23 posted:

If you can declare war on one of the Mamluks' allies instead of the Mamluks directly you can avoid starting a no-CB war. If there's no significant other allies with that ally then you can even set the Mamluks as a co-belligerent and dodge having to deal with taking land from a non-cobelligerent.

Nope. The mamluk's only significant ally is Yemen and Haasa has been negligent in fabricating claims on Yemen. Now, the Ottomans are currently at war with Karaman/Tunis so I can see if restarting will change the AI to wake up and start doing that, or alternatively I can use the time to fight Oman and get his province that borders Yemen and get that to fabricate a claim as a backdoor. The significant factor is whether the Ottomans will make peace & declare on Mamluks before I can wrap up the Oman war/claim fabrication. I'm on the clock here, I guess.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

If you want to delay the Ottomans you can always declare a war you don't give much of a gently caress about, like against Genoa in the Black Sea. It should keep the Ottoman AI busy with something for a few years while you deal with your own thing in Oman. It might mean taking the Mamluks on solo eventually, but that's probably better than giving the Ottomans the chance to occupy provinces you'll want for yourself.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I apparently haven't played a Russia game in ages - what are peoples' favorite opening idea sets? I've heard good things about religious but I'm not really seeing where it'll stay useful the entire game.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Sheep posted:

I apparently haven't played a Russia game in ages - what are peoples' favorite opening idea sets? I've heard good things about religious but I'm not really seeing where it'll stay useful the entire game.

The further east you go, the more useful it becomes. Converting muslim territory is difficult.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Sheep posted:

Religious plays really well even without the missionary bonuses, and works well with Russia too. Stability cost reduction is great, prestige is always good, tolerance of the true faith will contribute towards keeping you stable. As Russia, Holy War is one of the best CBs in the game, and is perfect for eastwards expansion. Conversion bonii will make early muslim conquests actually convertable, and the culture conversion cost reduction compounds on the one Muscovy gets as part of its NIs to make culture conversion super cheap.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

The thing is that for Russia, religious ideas make more sense as a 2nd or 3rd idea than the first one. Initially I usually focused on pushing west/southwest to kill off competitors early. In that light, I'd go for exploration, trade or diplomatic. Maybe influence, but only 3 ranks of it.

(also I always take a diplo idea group first)

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Thinking about trying a Castille/Spain game so I can have a chill, easy campaign while I watch some movies. Couple questions:

1. What's the preferred strategy re: Portugal? I'd rather take them over than vassalize long-term, because EU4 is about turning the map your color.

2. Do I need to do anything in particular to make the Iberian Wedding happen, or just wait?

3. I assume the idea progression starts with the usual Exploration and Expansion. Is it overkill to take Quantity for that amazing settler/colonist policy?

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!
Never got an answer for this, but I'm currently playing a game as Mutapa and it's going well.

My question is, should I stay as animist? Or should I convert to Sunni once I get the pagan +missionary strength decision? Or should I wait until I westernise and convert to Christianity?

Sheep posted:

Echoing people saying Religious. It's a great pick for Russia, and it stayed useful for me for pretty much the entire game. The CB is excellent since you're most likely the only major Orthodox country, and it has great synergy with Russia's NIs.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Bishop Rodan posted:

My question is, should I stay as animist? Or should I convert to Sunni once I get the pagan +missionary strength decision? Or should I wait until I westernise and convert to Christianity?

If you're picking up religious, staying animist until you can go Christian is worthwhile to ensure you have CBs on everyone. If you're doing Exploration, Expansion, Quantity, I'd probably go Sunni just so you can start your colonial nations sooner without them being wrong religion.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

So um, something unexpected happened in my Persia game. I went to war with Yemen/the Mamluks, brought the Ottomans in tow, but was unable to grab any Egyptian provinces because they were just outside of coring range. Also the game doesn't accept grabbing Yemeni provinces to get me coring range of Mamluk territory which sucks)

I grabbed what I could from Yemen and the Mamluks (aka 1 province) and um, something unexpected happened:

Not sure if this is the best news ever or the worst news ever. Either way, it's a change.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
When you pick ideas like Religious, how do you balance the spending MP on Religious ideas with the need to open up additional ideas?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

When you pick ideas like Religious, how do you balance the spending MP on Religious ideas with the need to open up additional ideas?

You figure out what you want (usually the missionary strength) and build to that. You're not delaying other idea picks by more than a few years anyway. If you're not swimming in monarch points of some other type, then just dump all you've got into your admin point idea line, because every idea makes future tech cheaper.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Anyone have a guide for a Zoroastrian Persia run?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Filling up an entire idea before moving on and catching up in a tech doesn't really put you that far behind. Well, it does, but the bonus you get for being behind makes it pretty easy to catch up in a decade or two. It helps that early admin tech isn't super important so you're not missing out on things like better troops or farther colonization/coring distances.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Pellisworth posted:

I think the larger issue is the game at its core is about Maximum Blobbing. There is a huge opportunity cost attached to your idea picks, your first few you'll have all game and so you want those to give you the most Blobbing Efficiency. The last two idea sets might as well not exist because you'll get the benefit of them for a few decades.

Army strength, expansion costs (coring, integration, AE), and realm stability are most often the limiting factors on your expansion. Trade income and navy strength rarely so, so related idea sets are kinda "meh."

I think the versatility you see here is actually a weakness since the bonuses are somewhat small and diffuse. I might be saving points with the extra leader slot, but I'm not always going to need that (maybe if I'm stuck at Duke rank). Similarly I'm not always going to get much point savings out of the WE reduction, I potentially could but it's not really a discount I can exploit.

Compare Admin ideas, the coring cost makes it much more focused. By taking it I'm saying I want to core a bunch of poo poo, and I can more efficiently do that. Innovative may save me more points, but Admin specifically saves me ADM points and lets me core faster which means get huger faster. Influence specifically saves me DIP points which are otherwise not valuable so makes a fantastic point dump in integrating vassals.

It's just too unfocused.

I think our playstyles are just massively different if you aren't getting much out of the war exhaustion or leaders. I can't think of a single time I've played for more than a few months below my leader cap, or anytime other than regencies where I am not declaring wars.

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Also trade.

The best countries for new players are without reservation: Castille, France, Ottomans, and Portugal.

Every other country, even those that have decent enough starts like England, Austria, or Poland, have some other mechanics on top of the basics that the player needs to get a hang of to actually have real success with those countries.

England has to manage disasters and deal with the aftermath of the HYW, Austria has HRE shenanigans, and Poland despite being potentially a huge land power can get crushed early in the crib and lose their union much easier than Castille does once you get the Iberian wedding.

Meanwhile France and Ottomans get to declare war on everyone and never lose. Castille and Portugal get to colonize without any problems and can expand basically wherever they want once they are super-rich colonial empires.

420 Gank Mid fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Oct 2, 2015

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

420 Gank Mid posted:

I think our playstyles are just massively different if you aren't getting much out of the war exhaustion or leaders. I can't think of a single time I've played for more than a few months below my leader cap, or anytime other than regencies where I am not declaring wars.

The best countries for new players are without reservation: Castille, France, Ottomans, and Portugal.

Every other country, even those that have decent enough starts like England, Austria, or Poland, have some other mechanics on top of the basics that the player needs to get a hang of to actually have real success with those countries.

England has to manage disasters and deal with the aftermath of the HYW, Austria has HRE shenanigans, and Poland despite being potentially a huge land power can get crushed early in the crib and lose their union much easier than Castille does once you get the Iberian wedding.

Meanwhile France and Ottomans get to declare war on everyone and never lose. Castille and Portugal get to colonize without any problems and can expand basically wherever they want once they are super-rich colonial empires.

Castile

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Aragorn.

Also, I hate to sound like the worlds worst euiv player but France is a little more difficult to start nowadays, as I'm sure anyone who has big blue blob can tell you - if you get too aggressive too quick you can really end up paying for it. Burgundy in particular can be a deceptively strong opponent.

So I guess in that sense it's a great tutorial for teaching new players about aggressive expansion and rival mechanics!

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Prop Wash posted:

Aragorn.

Also, I hate to sound like the worlds worst euiv player but France is a little more difficult to start nowadays, as I'm sure anyone who has big blue blob can tell you - if you get too aggressive too quick you can really end up paying for it. Burgundy in particular can be a deceptively strong opponent.

So I guess in that sense it's a great tutorial for teaching new players about aggressive expansion and rival mechanics!

I've introduced a few friends to this game and for the most part they seem to declare wars much less than us powergamers. The only time I've had them come to me asking why 50 man coallitions dogpiled them was when they tried starts inside the HRE (especially Dutch starts because taking just 2 of those provinces is enough to get ~50 AE with your neighbors)

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

double nine posted:

The thing is that for Russia, religious ideas make more sense as a 2nd or 3rd idea than the first one. Initially I usually focused on pushing west/southwest to kill off competitors early. In that light, I'd go for exploration, trade or diplomatic. Maybe influence, but only 3 ranks of it.

(also I always take a diplo idea group first)

Exploration is a good first pick as Russia, then Religious second. You can haul rear end across Siberia and colonize into Asia and the western US, last time I played a Russia game I beat the Iberians to the Cape :v:

Bold Robot posted:

Thinking about trying a Castille/Spain game so I can have a chill, easy campaign while I watch some movies. Couple questions:

1. What's the preferred strategy re: Portugal? I'd rather take them over than vassalize long-term, because EU4 is about turning the map your color.

2. Do I need to do anything in particular to make the Iberian Wedding happen, or just wait?

3. I assume the idea progression starts with the usual Exploration and Expansion. Is it overkill to take Quantity for that amazing settler/colonist policy?

1. I would make them a March. They will keep happily colonizing and you can integrate midway through the game once they've colonized the entirety of Africa and half of Asia for you. Castile pro-strat:

-Restart until France is friendly towards you
-Fabricate claims on Porto and Coimbra
-Release Galicia and continue to fabricate claims on Portugal
-Get an ally to help you with Aragon, ideally France. Portugal + Aragon is a tough fight by yourself and you have the civil war disaster to worry about as well.
-Fight Portugal, white peace with Aragon as soon as they'll take it. You don't want to beat them too badly or they'll lose their union with Naples and you would like Naples, tyvm. Feed Portugal to Galicia. Take enough that Portugal is small enough to vassalize in the second war.
-Vassalize Portugal, make them a March, release Galicia, reconquer Portuguese cores

You can easily have this finished before 1470, just hope for the Women in History event to fire that gives you Isabella, she owns and you really want to ditch your poo poo rulers.

At that point you control the two strongest colonial powers, ditch France as an ally and take away their coastline. Beat up England. It's very easy to completely dominate colonization with this setup. I owned literally every colony last game, completely blocked everyone else out of New World and Asia. For whatever reason Portugal was a super bro and didn't colonize any colonial regions so I had the prettiest most piss-yellow New World. Portugal just completely colonized Africa and headed for Asia.

2. Nope just one of your rulers needs to be female.

3. Not overkill at all, Quantity is almost a no-brainer for colonizers imo. You get an awesome +15% morale and +5% discipline from NIs early on, but your manpower is kinda poo poo and you need a large army to manage both colonial and European expansion. The +1 colonist policy is a must-have.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Oct 2, 2015

Creed Reunion Tour
Jul 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Grimey Drawer

Average Bear posted:

Anyone have a guide for a Zoroastrian Persia run?

I've been toying a bit with that the last few days. So far I think it's best if you don't convert to Zoroastrian untill after you've won your independence war against the Timurids: The morale boost you get from being Shia and having full piety is really good, and I don't think you benefit that much from the 10% trade boost from Zoroastrianism at the start of the game.
A thing to consider is that the Timurids have a poo poo leader and heir at the start of the game, so you can easily gain at least 2 mil tech on them which should help you a lot if you choose to fight your independence war early on.

For my first idea set I went with administrative because I figured I'd benefit from having extra cheap mercenaries. Also the production bonus seems nice to have as Persia.
For expanding into the Indian sub-continent, I think vassal-feeding will be best since a lot of the nations there seem to have increased coring cost traditions. Getting influence ideas for that will probably do you good.

Still haven't progressed beyond year 1500, so your mileage may vary.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

OK, I'm thinking of buying the rest of the most obscure DLC because I love extra cosmetic crap. Is the "Digital Extreme Edition Upgrade Pack" any good? Also looking at the Karais soundtrack, the Call-to-Arms Pack, and American Dream for a whopping $6.71, if anyone can comment on the quality of those.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Pellisworth posted:

Exploration is a good first pick as Russia, then Religious second. You can haul rear end across Siberia and colonize into Asia and the western US, last time I played a Russia game I beat the Iberians to the Cape :v:

1. I would make them a March. They will keep happily colonizing and you can integrate midway through the game once they've colonized the entirety of Africa and half of Asia for you. Castile pro-strat:

-Restart until France is friendly towards you
-Fabricate claims on Porto and Coimbra
-Release Galicia and continue to fabricate claims on Portugal
-Get an ally to help you with Aragon, ideally France. Portugal + Aragon is a tough fight by yourself and you have the civil war disaster to worry about as well.
-Fight Portugal, white peace with Aragon as soon as they'll take it. You don't want to beat them too badly or they'll lose their union with Naples and you would like Naples, tyvm. Feed Portugal to Galicia. Take enough that Portugal is small enough to vassalize in the second war.
-Vassalize Portugal, make them a March, release Galicia, reconquer Portuguese cores

You can easily have this finished before 1470, just hope for the Women in History event to fire that gives you Isabella, she owns and you really want to ditch your poo poo rulers.

At that point you control the two strongest colonial powers, ditch France as an ally and take away their coastline. Beat up England. It's very easy to completely dominate colonization with this setup. I owned literally every colony last game, completely blocked everyone else out of New World and Asia. For whatever reason Portugal was a super bro and didn't colonize any colonial regions so I had the prettiest most piss-yellow New World. Portugal just completely colonized Africa and headed for Asia.

2. Nope just one of your rulers needs to be female.

3. Not overkill at all, Quantity is almost a no-brainer for colonizers imo. You get an awesome +15% morale and +5% discipline from NIs early on, but your manpower is kinda poo poo and you need a large army to manage both colonial and European expansion. The +1 colonist policy is a must-have.

Awesome, thanks for the tips. Do you recommend beating up on Italy to try to eventually collect at the end node in Genoa? Or should I stick with Sevilla?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Bold Robot posted:

Awesome, thanks for the tips. Do you recommend beating up on Italy to try to eventually collect at the end node in Genoa? Or should I stick with Sevilla?

Genoa isn't going to be hugely more income than Sevilla, but it's a good idea to expand into the western Med. Ideally you'll get Naples along with Aragon when the Iberian Wedding fires, so you'll have a foothold in southern Italy. You'll want to take southern France as part of denying them coastline (so they're not competing with your colonization and you can more easily eat them) and how much you continue pushing into northern Italy is up to you. It's good quality provinces, but expensive in terms of coring, AE, and it'll probably be bloody. Take it as opportunity presents.

After you make Brotugal your march, I would focus next on containing France and beating around England. With a landlocked France and weakened England you can then monopolize colonization and conquer through Europe at your leisure.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Also it might be useful to know that basically all of the British and North Sea tags take exploration ideas as one of their first 3 groups, so making Irish, Scottish, Welsh, English, or Norwegian Vassals is another great way to fill out the Americas turbo fast.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Pellisworth posted:

Exploration for Russia sounds horrible, unless you are playing as Novgorod or just basically playing with a completely unorthodox (doh hoh hoh) western expansion focus. The coloniser Russia idea group is pretty much meant to be Expansion; less ship stuff which as Russia you wouldn't need anyway, more trade stuff which you'll get mileage out of drawing that central Asian trade to the home node, a great CB for your giant Asian backyard (which if you picked religious you'll admittedly not need). The extra colonist there is just exactly what you need to get to the sea of Okhotsk comfortably before the west European colonisers get in the area. For a typical land-focused Muscovy->Russia game I would suggest expansion every time. Exploration, you'd have to go out of your way to make useful.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

YF-23 posted:

Exploration for Russia sounds horrible, unless you are playing as Novgorod or just basically playing with a completely unorthodox (doh hoh hoh) western expansion focus. The coloniser Russia idea group is pretty much meant to be Expansion; less ship stuff which as Russia you wouldn't need anyway, more trade stuff which you'll get mileage out of drawing that central Asian trade to the home node, a great CB for your giant Asian backyard (which if you picked religious you'll admittedly not need). The extra colonist there is just exactly what you need to get to the sea of Okhotsk comfortably before the west European colonisers get in the area. For a typical land-focused Muscovy->Russia game I would suggest expansion every time. Exploration, you'd have to go out of your way to make useful.

That's all true, but Exploration as Russia you're specifically aiming to race to the Pacific and get some colonial nations in western America and gobble up some of the good Asian trade bits. As I mentioned I beat the Iberians to the Cape my last Russia game and had colonial nations in Mexico, California, Alaska, and Australia. The extra naval forcelimits is pretty great if you're going that route.

For a land-focused Russia, Expansion is all you need, agreed. However going Exploration opens up the possibility of an even larger trans-Pacific Asian trading network and doesn't slow you down too much otherwise. It's a solid option.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

YF-23 posted:

Can you provide some details as to what exactly is better about Expansion over Exploration? I mean you go over the gist of what you're saying, but I don't provide see the details of what makes Expansion better?

I also disagree with what you're saying. I feel exploration is way better for Russia. For instance, given that you don't get your Colonist NI till like 1600, how are you supposed to get vision on Siberia without a conquistador? Expansion has also half the settler bonus that Exploration does. You colonize 50% faster on top of that because of the extra colonist. It makes a difference.

Going into Asia now means fighting nightmare ming in the mountains, fyi, India is way easier. Which to me is another knock against Expansion's CB.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Sheep posted:

I opened with Influence in my most recent Russia game and it has served quite well throughout the game. I've always found myself with either one or zero allies and an absolute shitload of vassals at pretty much all times. Next I went Humanist which I kind of regret since I haven't been able to get a single non-Russian culture accepted even with Humanist filled out. If I could do it again I'd go Influence, Admin, Defensive, Expansion which should last you a couple hundred years. Its tough to leave out religious or humanist, you'll really want one or the other early but the long term benefits of Admin are really strong, plus Admin synergizes extremely well with maxing out PA which is a big help in conversion. Most of the PA events require you to pay inflation, stability, or money and Admin makes you care less about all of these things so it's less painful to stack PA.

As far as military, Defensive as Russia is more or less non-negotiable IMO. You'll save dozens of ducats a month on the mil and fort maintenance discounts, the maneuver and decreased attrition are invaluable for movin across your giant tracts of lovely, lovely land, and the capstone (+1 attrition for enemies) is so delightfully Russian it might as well be wearing a track suit.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Yeah, I tried exploration first Russia after people talked about it in the thread, and if you focus you can BLAST through Siberia to the Pacific.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

YF-23 posted:

It really isn't. I wouldn't take it first (I can't think of a better idea group to take first than Religious as Russia) but it is a very strong solid pick. When I first tried a Russia game to get the one million manpower reserve achievement, I tried expansion instead of Religious, and it just wasn't good enough. Exploration is wonderful. You will always be using those two colonists (three if you enact the policy with Quantity, which I strongly recommend) until very late game. You'll be able to control Siberia, Australia, Indonesia, and California. The downside is, all the other CNs don't have trade routes that lead back to Novgorod, so you'll only get tariffs if you decide to make Russia Mexico.

But yeah, Exploration is really loving good with Muscovy. I thought the opposite at first as well.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
The other thing is Exploration takes DIP points, you can pretty much just point dump into Exploration without any negative effects. You don't even need Dip tech 7 like other colonizers.

Expansion CB is really nice, but I always found it tricky to take both Religious and get Expansion in a reasonable time frame while also spending a bunch of ADM points on coring.

For me it just works better to go something like Exploration, Religious, mil idea, Expansion, mil idea, ??

Edit: it does slow down your early expansion a little since cash is really tight for Muscovy early game.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Oct 2, 2015

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Pellisworth posted:

The other thing is Exploration takes DIP points, you can pretty much just point dump into Exploration without any negative effects. You don't even need Dip tech 7 like other colonizers.

Expansion CB is really nice, but I always found it tricky to take both Religious and get Expansion in a reasonable time frame while also spending a bunch of ADM points on coring.

For me it just works better to go something like Exploration, Religious, mil idea, Expansion, mil idea, ??

Edit: it does slow down your early expansion a little since cash is really tight for Muscovy early game.

I'd replace Expansion with Administrative personally, for that sweet coring discount, on top of your already decent coring discount from your national ideas. Expansion is certainly good, but Russia isn't a global trade power, and that is what Expansion focuses on.

However, if you westernize (snipe Danzig when Poland declares war on the Teutonic Order) you can utilize the sweet CB you get from Expansion. I'm not sure if Eastern tech gets it. Then again, you have Holy War.

Russia is a fun country. You get a little taste of colonialism, trade, and lots of warfare. And you have the manpower to never stop. Your only threat is PL/Commonwealth, and they will leave you alone unless you take Danzig. The Ottomans are unlikely to get a border with you unless you try.

Node fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Oct 2, 2015

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Node posted:

I'd replace Expansion with Administrative personally, for that sweet coring discount. Expansion is certainly good, but Russia isn't a global trade power, and that is what Expansion focuses on.

However, if you westernize (snipe Danzig when Poland declares war on the Teutonic Order) you can utilize the sweet CB you get from Expansion. I'm not sure if Eastern tech gets it. Then again, you have Holy War.

Russia is a fun country. You get a little taste of colonialism, trade, and lots of warfare. And you have the manpower to never stop. Your only thread is PL/Commonwealth, and they will leave you alone unless you take Danzig.

Western, Eastern and Ottoman (Anatolian?) tech groups all get the CB

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

... so I just went to war against Qara to grab my last core from them, and I also got Trebizond as a vassal in the deal. Is having them as a vassal going to be a problem re: Ottomans? What if I annex them? Note: they only have the province of Trebizond, but it is in the Anatolia region.

• Locked thread