Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Gamerofthegame posted:

rip periodot as a character and not a "im not gay!" joke ever again

again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I still think the little flower people were full of it since Rosemaster was totally for destroying their home. They deserve to live with the gardener.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

This one was nice but I think I liked the previous chapter better, weird interlude and all.

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

The Worldwide Deadly Gangster Communist President

Tupperwarez posted:

I wonder how many pages of Peridot's diary have been taken up by this scenario.

All of them since this page, I'd wager.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Soon as I saw that page, a song started going off in my head

I am gay, gay, gay...

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

dude if you don't agree that every time she's appeared since, I dunno, splashmaster, it's been overt "HAY SHE LIKES ALMOND IT'S WHAT DRIVES EVERYTHING SHE DOES" then I dunno man!!!

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

There's a difference between "I'm not gay!" and "I'm totally not crushing on this person!". Peridot is doing the latter. Hope this helps.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It is pretty much all she does though.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Is being adorable and the kind of little sister you've always wanted something you 'do'?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

six solar sweeps

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Gamerofthegame posted:

dude if you don't agree that every time she's appeared since, I dunno, splashmaster, it's been overt "HAY SHE LIKES ALMOND IT'S WHAT DRIVES EVERYTHING SHE DOES" then I dunno man!!!

uh yeah

that seems to be arguing against your earlier post though

Gamerofthegame posted:

rip periodot as a character and not a "im not gay!" joke ever again

again

this is basically non-ambiguous 'peridot likes almond' stuff now. i don't know if people still don't realize it and think they're just friends or whatever

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

RareAcumen posted:

this is basically non-ambiguous 'peridot likes almond' stuff now. i don't know if people still don't realize it and think they're just friends or whatever

Nah, man, Peridot is totally just having a bad dream, where her rival (who she doesn't feel anything but negative emotions for and certainly not love or like or anything like that) is trying to engage in psychological tactics! She just needs to be strong and not give in because it's all a challenge from her mind and other excuses etc etc etc and that is why Peridot is still definitely hetero and will never be proven as liking almond because girls can't love girls

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Peridot is crushing on Almond because it's Almond who is the stereotypical legendary hero of prophesy (Cucumber is just a dork) and the villain's daughter always crushes on the hero.

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.
Peridot is the best and I look forward to when she joins the party and just dunks on Cucumber 24/7.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

what a nice platonic friendship

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

a cartoon duck posted:

what a nice platonic friendship
They're such good friends that they want to get married! They're just kids after all!

Swear to God, we're gonna see someone use that as a reason.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

RareAcumen posted:

The comic has been non-ambiguous that Peridot likes Almond for a while, regardless of how dumb people choose to justify not seeing it. I believe what Gamerofthegame is saying is that a lot of Peridot's recent appearances have amounted to her showing up, flirting with Almond via fight banter and then after doing something to reveal her feelings and/or get called on her poo poo, run away going "I DON'T LIKE YOUUUU". I mean, I enjoyed the most recent comic's gag, but it's clear if you read the post, the complaint is that Peridot's become more one-dimensional the more her character has boiled down to "likes Almond". She hasn't done anything not driven by Almond-love for a while. (Like, why was she even at Legato's play, or in the competition in the last chapter, if not to get close to Almond?)

Jazu
Jan 1, 2006

Looking for some URANIUM? CLICK HERE

Misandu posted:

Peridot is the best and I look forward to when she joins the party and just dunks on Cucumber 24/7.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Peridot cant join the party yet because it would make her big cat sis sad.

I hope we get some more Cordelia now that the chapter is over

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Either Cordelia joins the party (Watch out Caboodle, your single hero life is over) or Almond joins the baddies. Both are good.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Ok, Ok. Gonna try and not be a jerk this time and-

Huh.

Huhhhhhh...

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Crono. Crono! Wake up, Crono! Your stay of execution has been cancelled! The execution will be carried out immediately!

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Next chapter: Peridot gets blasted into oblivion by a giant porcupine.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

TwoPair posted:

The comic has been non-ambiguous that Peridot likes Almond for a while, regardless of how dumb people choose to justify not seeing it. I believe what Gamerofthegame is saying is that a lot of Peridot's recent appearances have amounted to her showing up, flirting with Almond via fight banter and then after doing something to reveal her feelings and/or get called on her poo poo, run away going "I DON'T LIKE YOUUUU". I mean, I enjoyed the most recent comic's gag, but it's clear if you read the post, the complaint is that Peridot's become more one-dimensional the more her character has boiled down to "likes Almond". She hasn't done anything not driven by Almond-love for a while. (Like, why was she even at Legato's play, or in the competition in the last chapter, if not to get close to Almond?)

I'd kind of agree with that. With every passing moment Peridot is becoming Tsundere Bot, caught on an infinite loop of Its Not Like I Like You B-Baka.exe

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.

TwoPair posted:

Peridot is showing up at every turn because she's Cordelia's minion and she's there to drive home that the party is actually in conflict with two separate groups of antagonists who aren't necessarily on the same page regarding what they're trying to accomplish. In other terms she's the Turks from FF7, Viral from Gurren Lagann, the Schwann Brigade from Tales of Vesperia, or Gary Oak from Pokemon. She has a crush on Almond because it's a different take on the classic "RPG miniboss keeps showing up claiming you're 'rivals' even though you crush him every encounter."

Do you think Peridot would be a better character if she just had a generic rival motivation? I wouldn't even call her one dimensional, she's gotten a decent amount of characterization in scenes with the Nightmare Knight and Cordelia. She's a spoiled child prodigy who acts bratty and always gets what she wants, and she likes Almond because no one else will indulge her cackling villain side (which she is probably only embracing because she thinks it will make Cordelia think more highly of her).

EDIT: Also! Where would you even develop her character further? She's currently a minor antagonist and people in this thread were complaining that the primary villain of this chapter got too much time spent on characterization. Trying to flesh out every character at the same time in something meant to be read serially is incredibly difficult to begin with, and I think Peridot has been handled pretty well.

Misandu fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Oct 1, 2015

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Just got my Book 3 kickstarter package :toot:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Peridot is Ultros

uwee hee hee

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

Peridot is Jr. Troopa.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Peridot is Peridot from Steven Universe.

...wait.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

Peridot is Ultros

uwee hee hee

Then Cosmo is Gilgamesh?

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
Catmom is mad.

Catmom is really mad.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Only dream catmom. I'm sure real Catmom is more understanding.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Captain Oblivious posted:

I'd kind of agree with that. With every passing moment Peridot is becoming Tsundere Bot, caught on an infinite loop of Its Not Like I Like You B-Baka.exe

She'll probably be less so in her next appearance--it seemed like she was having some kind of breakthrough before NK whisked her away.

Whenever we get to the mineral themed kingdom will probably shed some light on her too.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Very Satsuki Kiryuin looking in panel 4 there

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Only dream catmom. I'm sure real Catmom is more understanding.

Yeah, Dream Cordelia is probably just a stand in for Peridot's own frustrations about messing things up. Or something like that.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
I hope so. It's cute when gigi draws peridot and catmom hanging out and doing nails and stuff

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
She probably is genuinely worried about Cordelia's reaction, but from Cordelia's point of view: Peridot was in the middle of fighting the most competent member of the party when Rosemaster intervened, and then Rosemaster lost to Carrot of all people.

Once again, the disaster masters prove themselves useless and the only thing to do is drink more juice for adults.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Cordelia would likely be pretty conflicted about the situation, since Peridot seems to be the only person she genuinely cares about.

On the other hand, Cordelia is the only person who seems to consider conquering the world a priority, so it's easy to understand Peridot's anxiety.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

Carrasco posted:

She'll probably be less so in her next appearance--it seemed like she was having some kind of breakthrough before NK whisked her away.

Whenever we get to the mineral themed kingdom will probably shed some light on her too.

Crystal Kingdom is up next. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Cordelia might react to the news that her surrogate daughter wants to go dating by throwing the mother of all makeover parties.

... so long as she isn't told who she's dating, that is.