Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Roach Warehouse posted:

Hey thread, weird question.
My friend and I run an amateur tv podcast. She's never really seen much Doctor Who so we want to do a thing where we watch one of the best episodes of the revival, and then one of the worst.

Right now I'm thinking along the lines of The Eleventh Hour and Love & Monsters. Any other suggestions?

How about The Doctor's Wife and Nightmare in Silver?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Matt Smith had absolutely hit his stride in The Eleventh Hour, it was relatively far into production. It's one of his best performances in the series.

The dalek one and the angel two parter are the earliest episodes, and it shows.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I guess the good thing about asking for an example of a great episode and a bad one is that many people will make the same pairing combo pick, but swap their roles v:shobon:v

I'd recommend episodes that do similar things and how the execution of those elements varies between the two - like The Unquiet Dead/The Shakespeare Code, or either of those two with The Unicorn and the Wasp. Planet of the Dead vs Midnight, The Lodger vs Closing Time, hell even The Doctor's Wife vs Nightmare in Silver.... or the Doctor's Wife against The Doctor's Daughter, or The Doctor's Wife vs Let's Kill Hitler or The Wedding of River Song.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I'd argue that The Doctor's Wife isn't a good episode for someone who's never seen the show before. It's a very good episode, but the reason why it's highly regarded is because of the history it brings with it.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

The_Doctor posted:

I'd argue that The Doctor's Wife isn't a good episode for someone who's never seen the show before. It's a very good episode, but the reason why it's highly regarded is because of the history it brings with it.

I actually showed The Doctor's Wife to a bunch of people who had never seen Doctor Who before, and it works surprisingly well. Certainly a lot better than something like Mummy on the Orient Express where the relationship between Clara and the Doctor isn't as straightforward. You'll always have to explain some things, if you're not intent on showing The Eleventh Hour or Blink. If you just briefly explain the time war, it's probably gonna be fine, though.

And More fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Oct 2, 2015

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Rannos22 posted:

I'm not sure The Eleventh Hour is necessarily one of the best episode of the revival: Matt Smith hadn't quite found his stride yet and it felt like Moffat was still struggling with tone and pacing too. It is a great jumping on point for newcomers, however.
The series 5 Christmas special, A Christmas Carol was a pretty stellar episode of Doctor Who that doesn't need much context for an outsider.

A Christmas Carol got me into watching Doctor Who. Unfortunately it was probably the show at its best!

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I POST STUPID STUFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO
the doctors wife isnt a good episode to show to anyone or anything

I mean you can keep some things vague and leave the audience to understand it on their own. I don't see the point of the iconic vehicle turning into a woman and kissing the Doctor and saying "I love you".

Kikka fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Oct 2, 2015

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

Kikka posted:

I see your custom title is accurate.

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

Maybe a Dalek can turn into a human and slap the Doctor then say "I hate you Doctor!"

If it's a lady she can grab his balls instead while b-characters stare agape at this powerful and alluring woman

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

A hu-men Dalek?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

CobiWann posted:

#Let's go Doctor!#

#Doctor sucks!#

So what you're saying is that Missy is Steph McMahon? :v:

(I'm a sucker for heel!Steph.)

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Diabolik900 posted:

A hu-men Dalek?

Smooch that wiggly ol' hate squid, Doctor! ;-*

And More fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Oct 2, 2015

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

TinTower posted:

So what you're saying is that Missy is Steph McMahon? :v:

(I'm a sucker for heel!Steph.)

That means Missy will always be the coolest person in the room and never get her comeuppance while gushing about how great and charitable she is while saying her father being put on trial for quantum entangler misuse was worse than the Time War.

So, basically yeah.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

CobiWann posted:

That means Missy will always be the coolest person in the room and never get her comeuppance while gushing about how great and charitable she is while saying her father being put on trial for quantum entangler misuse was worse than the Time War.

So, basically yeah.

Just expanding this further:

Ladies and gentlemen, my name is Davros! And I am the creator of the beasts incarnate, THE. DALEKS!!!!"

(I'm here! You're here! Let's. EXTERMINATE!)

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Kikka posted:

I mean you can keep some things vague and leave the audience to understand it on their own. I don't see the point of the iconic vehicle turning into a woman and kissing the Doctor and saying "I love you".

Finally, someone else saw the same episode that I did.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
It's a little better in the context of 1) The Tardis at least since the beginning of the revival onwards has been shown to be alive and intelligent (maybe in the classic too idk) 2) That living machine has been the doctor's constant companion for all the decades of the show.

The pre-established history leads to the idea of the Tardis being a living thing that is the doctor's closest relationship where in any other case it would come off like that nanowrimo story about the sexy motorcycle. It's okay in this case, maybe overdoing it a little but the show is not unfamiliar with schmaltziness.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Diabolik900 posted:

A hu-men Dalek?

"YA FYOO-CHAH!"

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Stabbatical posted:

Finally, someone else saw the same episode that I did.

You're totally supposed to be weirded out by it. It's on purpose. Here, read Talking to Girls at Parties where Gaiman basically does the opposite of what he does in The Doctor's Wife.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

And More posted:

You're totally supposed to be weirded out by it. It's on purpose. Here, read Talking to Girls at Parties where Gaiman basically does the opposite of what he does in The Doctor's Wife.

I wasn't weirded out, I was nonplussed. I do mean to re-watch it, as it gets such rave reviews, but I remember just being bored by it the first time. Also I got the context, I just wasn't digging it at the time. Maybe that a few years have passed, I'll be more into its vibe.

I gave that piece a read, but I'm not sure how that related to anything in The Doctor's Wife? It was an alright short story, I guess. I've never really read any Gaiman before, the only other Gaiman I know is Nightmare in Steel. Descriptions of his stuff have never sounded super appealing to me, personally. The story didn't come across as remarkable to me.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I thought the B plot of Doctors Wife where House just basically mind fucks Amy and Rory was interesting. Rory going mad inside the halls of the TARDIS gives me the heebeegeebees.

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I didn't really care for the B plot where the Tardis FINALLY becomes a real woman.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Finally got round to watching ep 2 and man......Capaldi is just written exactly like Smith now. That's very blah.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

The Eleventh Hour is the best episode of the revival, and if you disagree then you've probably got some kind of brain parasite.

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I think when Capaldi's run is over, there'll come a consensus on what kind of Doctor he was. I do agree that Moffat tends to fall into a rut when writing certain characters.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

AndyElusive posted:

I thought the B plot of Doctors Wife where House just basically mind fucks Amy and Rory was interesting. Rory going mad inside the halls of the TARDIS gives me the heebeegeebees.

Yeah, that is properly messed up. Just a hall full of different version of dead Rories. Kind of the same idea as the Girl Who Waited but turned into even more of a Nightmare.

It's worth remembering that although Smith's run was generally full of wacky hijinx and the Doctor kicking rear end, there were quite a few absolutely dark and unsettling episodes.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I enjoyed "The Doctor's Wife". I wasn't really familiar with Neil Gaiman at the time beyond recognising his name, but I've since read a couple of his books and I liked them a lot as well.

Even so, it's a bit disappointing that he managed to write one episode I think is one of the best, and one that I'm sure a lot of people think may be one of the weakest ("Nightmare In Silver"). It's certainly one of the most disappointing (the two episodes of the revival I personally consider the worst in the sense that they're my least favourites are the two I think are most disappointing; "The End of Time" and "Let's Kill Hitler").

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

"The Doctor's Wife" was okay.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Stabbatical posted:

I gave that piece a read, but I'm not sure how that related to anything in The Doctor's Wife? It was an alright short story, I guess. I've never really read any Gaiman before, the only other Gaiman I know is Nightmare in Steel. Descriptions of his stuff have never sounded super appealing to me, personally. The story didn't come across as remarkable to me.

I was hoping it would convey that Gaiman doesn't play things completely straight. You could read that short story as just a funny bit of nonsense, or you could read it as a commentary on how men or specifically boys perceive women and sexuality. He superficially indulges in Freudian daydreams and wish-fulfillment, but it never feels quite right.

Does the Doctor really get a super cool time machine wife, or did the mad Doctor actually get stolen by a mad woman box? At first glance, it absolutely seems like Gaiman tries to indulge in the stereotypes that are expected from this relationship. In practice, the Tardis actually turns out to be quite in control, though. She claims to have stolen the Doctor, and she clues him in on House's trap. Even when he calls her unreliable, she immediately throws back at him: "(No, but) I always took you where you needed to go." Gaiman does a lot of smart things with the relationship between the Tardis and the Doctor. Most importantly though, all of it makes perfect sense for the dynamic between them as eternal companions.

Here's something a bit more academic by Emily Capettini, if you want to read more about feminism and sex. In case that link doesn't work properly, the text is called: "A Boy and his box off to see the universe". Madness, Power and Sex in "The Doctor's Wife".

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Escobarbarian posted:

Finally got round to watching ep 2 and man......Capaldi is just written exactly like Smith now. That's very blah.

I disagree. Eleven came off very Steve Urkel, a total dork trying way too hard to be cool and most of the time fooling no-one but himself. Twelve at this point feels a bit more like a Doc Brown, an old crazy dude having fun doing what he loves and because of that, he comes off as actually pretty fuckin' cool.

TinTower posted:

Just expanding this further:

Ladies and gentlemen, my name is Davros! And I am the creator of the beasts incarnate, THE. DALEKS!!!!"

(I'm here! You're here! Let's. EXTERMINATE!)

And, of course, the iconic TARDIS sound

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

The lady Tardis had a box too

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Kikka posted:

The lady Tardis had a box too

If you want to talk sex, Emily Capettini's got you covered.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

I disagree. Eleven came off very Steve Urkel, a total dork trying way too hard to be cool and most of the time fooling no-one but himself. Twelve at this point feels a bit more like a Doc Brown, an old crazy dude having fun doing what he loves and because of that, he comes off as actually pretty fuckin' cool.

And, of course, the iconic TARDIS sound

Well that's how they're played, but the words coming out of their mouth could go with either.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's almost like they're the same person or something.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Gaz-L posted:

I disagree. Eleven came off very Steve Urkel, a total dork trying way too hard to be cool and most of the time fooling no-one but himself.

It's brought up every New Who Doctor, but for me 11 was the best Old Man In A Young Man's Body the show has had. He's your grandpa suddenly given a young body and thinks he'll effortlessly be able to hang with The Kids. Thing is, he's still Grandpa.

Vaguely related, based on what we've been discussing and has been cited: the ratings for this season so far are a little bit low. Not even close to the point of doomsaying, I concede, but when does one start to wonder if the #1 way to ensure a modern/mainstream audience skips watching the show is that the main character isn't a young/attractive person anymore?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

MisterBibs posted:

It's brought up every New Who Doctor, but for me 11 was the best Old Man In A Young Man's Body the show has had. He's your grandpa suddenly given a young body and thinks he'll effortlessly be able to hang with The Kids. Thing is, he's still Grandpa.

Vaguely related, based on what we've been discussing and has been cited: the ratings for this season so far are a little bit low. Not even close to the point of doomsaying, I concede, but when does one start to wonder if the #1 way to ensure a modern/mainstream audience skips watching the show is that the main character isn't a young/attractive person anymore?

There are so many variables involved that it's basically impossible to say that viewers are tuning out because some crusty old guy is in the lead. Besides that there's still Jenna Coleman, and plenty of other young attractive guest stars.

Besides (and admittedly this is not my area of expertise) wasn't Tennant considered to be more of a prettyboy than Smith? And Smith held onto the ratings pretty well.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
It didn't occur to me until now but yeah, tooling around in Davros's chair is very Matt Smith-esque silliness, with the speech about Who Will Dare Tell Me Clara Is Dead being very Matt Smith-eque suddenly going dead serious. It had kind of bugged me as well that they seem to be doing away with Twelve's dickier aspects, now he's all about hugging and compassion. I hope as the series goes on they bring back the character who helped a bunch of people escape from monsters and then as soon as they were safe said "bye" and peaced out

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think that stuff is more Peter wanting to play more of a traditional Doctor crossed with his own wannabe-rock-star aspirations. He's basically getting to play make-believe for all the stuff he wanted to do from age 5 to about age 22.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Other than The Doctor's Wife, what other agreed upon worthwhile episodes were there in Series 6? Am I forgetting some because I honestly can't think of many. The God Complex, maybe? Let's Kill Hitler? :v:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Everyone seems to like The Girl Who Waited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
The Rebel Flesh

• Locked thread