Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Unperson_47 posted:

At least the instructors (?) in those grenade tossing videos are in the place of mind to immediately yank the thrower into a hole with them.

I'm pretty sure that's about 80% of their job, so I'd hope so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keyga
Apr 12, 2006

Making you feel guilty for all the salted snails, one lick at a time.
So this happened last week where I work.

That's a hyster crane destroying seven containers full of product... oh and itself.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Hysterical.

salty fries make me cry
Oct 3, 2007

~~i'm outside ur window~~
~throwin bricks at teh moon~

Munin posted:

One thing I liked in that control room video, which someone else also alluded to, is how all the alarms have a different tone and you can work out from the harmonies what particular combination of poo poo you are in at any point. It also seems to be tuned not to be in the same range as speech and also not deafeningly loud.

I work in fast food and we have different tones on every piece of equipment just so you can tell what's done cooking. Do they not have this poo poo in factories where they have poo poo that can do way worse than second degree burns if you gently caress up retardedly bad? That is terrifying if that's the case.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Platystemon posted:

Hysterical.

Booooooooooooooooooooooo

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Keyga posted:

So this happened last week where I work.

That's a hyster crane destroying seven containers full of product... oh and itself.

fffuuuccckkk that.

I drive one of those container forklifts with a mast on the front instead of the crane style rear lift like those, and picking up 40' containers with a total gross around 30mt is sketchy as gently caress. It doesn't help that our container yard is dirt with potholes everywhere, and has a slight slope.

It's nosedived once when someone hit a pothole while trying to put a 40' on a trailer (so had it lifted high enough to see where he was going) and freaked out and slammed onto the brakes and everything combined to push it over the edge.

Also, I dislike hydraulic steering.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Turfahurf posted:

I work in fast food and we have different tones on every piece of equipment just so you can tell what's done cooking. Do they not have this poo poo in factories where they have poo poo that can do way worse than second degree burns if you gently caress up retardedly bad? That is terrifying if that's the case.

Well, you saw the post later in the thread about hospitals so...

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
For all the money in hospitals they are remarkably resistant to actually doing things properly.

Unlike fast food companies, which will optimise the rear end out of every last inch of their kitchens.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Vulpes posted:

I'm pretty sure that's about 80% of their job, so I'd hope so.

fun fact:

You are supposed to actually be on top of the stupid trainee in the event of a "misthrow"

They are stunningly common.

Which is why you might only throw ONE live grenade before they expect you to do it for real.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
So why don't they make them practice with, I dunno, a rock or an inert grenade first?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

GotLag posted:

So why don't they make them practice with, I dunno, a rock or an inert grenade first?

they do, this is usually the last event in the grenade qualification.. they have already thrown around 20-30 fake ones.

Some people choke when the thingy in your hands has an effective 5 meter killzone.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Feels like they design those grenade training areas with ample "oh poo poo get down" trenches around.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
I was always curious what a major league pitcher could do with a grenade.

-300 foot throw and airbursts above a trench
-grenade thrown through exterior wall of house and explodes inside
-pitched through 16x16" 4th story window
-thrown into the box of a speeding Toyota pickup from 100 feet away
-forgot to pull pin but the grenade impacts with a guy's face at ~95mph and kills him
-tosses a curveball so it goes around a hapless civilian and lands at an insurgent's feet 15m directly behind the non-combatant.
-pulls a muscle and sits out for the rest of the war

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Blistex posted:

-forgot to pull pin but the grenade impacts with a guy's face at ~95mph and kills him
-tosses a curveball so it goes around a hapless civilian and lands at an insurgent's feet 15m directly behind the non-combatant.

Sgt. Matsuzaka out for three battles for rotator cuff surgery.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

I feel bad laughing but that's the most amazing panic crawl ever

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Blistex posted:

I always wonder why we don't make baseball shaped grenades. One would think that Americans would be able to throw them quite accurately and far compared to countries that don't play a lot of throwing sports.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Guy inside the forklift is all like "welp, pulled this lever, didn't work, this is my life now."

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

mostlygray posted:

I always wonder why we don't make baseball shaped grenades. One would think that Americans would be able to throw them quite accurately and far compared to countries that don't play a lot of throwing sports.

the standard fragmentation grenade is pretty much baseball sized.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Blistex posted:

So was the Army, so once upon a time they procured the T13 grenade, which was designed to mimic the size and shape and mass of a baseball.

mostlygray posted:

Didn't work out too well:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T13_Beano_Grenade

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Phanatic posted:

So was the Army, so once upon a time they procured the T13 grenade, which was designed to mimic the size and shape and mass of a baseball.

Didn't work out too well:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T13_Beano_Grenade

ooh thats a cool design.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Blistex posted:

Sounds like the script for an 80s action movie.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Blistex posted:

Somehow he'd hit a bird flying between the pitcher and his target.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Boss brought in his new hover seagway

Pretty osha for about 45 minutes

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Psychotic Weasel posted:

It's really gotta suck when you're the one assigned to train people in this. Every job in the military comes with an inherent risk but I can't think of many things that involve teaching a newbie how to throw around explosives. Do they not first teach people proper throwing technique, or at least how to throw overhand, with dummy grenades/softballs/rocks? Maybe you'd want to get that down first before handing them something that'll blow your face off.

The answer from second-hand sources (friends who were Canadian Forces at least 15 years ago, so maybe not modern training accurate either) so I can't personally testify to this, but the reason everyone forgets how to throw a ball when they throw a grenade is you're explicitly told you don't throw it like a ball, because the elbow/wrist snapping motion of a baseball throw is not a safe mix with what is now an armed live explosive. Instead they were taught to throw with a straight (or at least locked) elbow and wrist so the throwing motion comes entirely from the shoulder, which is unnatural for anyone used to throwing. And once live explosives get into play the first time on the grenade range is going to be kinda scary no matter how many test throws you've done.

Their worst story from the grenade range - basic training in the winter, some poor schmuck pulls the pin, bobbles the grenade on the throw, grenade slides down the jacket sleeve with the spoon still on, gets to spend the next hour(s) with arm held in exactly the same position as bomb disposal carefully cuts away the jacket to remove the grenade. Could be army legend, I dunno, but that's the one I was told of beyond the usual having to yank the recruit into the trench.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Well that last part sounds horrifying, though I'm a little too jaded and internet skeptical to outright believe that's a thing that happend.

The part about using a different technique to throw a grenade than a ball is something I didn't know but makes understanding why people are so bad at it easier. The only videos we usually ever see are of people screwing up and diving for their life.

Do you get drummed out if you screw it up too many times? Or do you just become the squad meatshield who's not allowed to touch anything?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
They're called officers.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Well that last part sounds horrifying, though I'm a little too jaded and internet skeptical to outright believe that's a thing that happend.

The part about using a different technique to throw a grenade than a ball is something I didn't know but makes understanding why people are so bad at it easier. The only videos we usually ever see are of people screwing up and diving for their life.

Do you get drummed out if you screw it up too many times? Or do you just become the squad meatshield who's not allowed to touch anything?

chances are, if you flubbed a live grenade on your qualification you'd be a no-go. IIRC 3 No-Go's and you pretty much be a "failure to adapt" and get back on the bus to your hometown. of course my knowlege is circa 97-02 so it may not be as valid anymore.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Blistex posted:

It's all fun and games until a knuckleballer shows up.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

blugu64 posted:

I feel bad laughing but that's the most amazing panic crawl ever

I think he does it with a broken leg, too.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Blistex posted:

Buck Compton (from Band of Brothers) killed a German soldier during an assault on D-Day by pitching a grenade pretty much into the back of his head, it exploded just before it hit him. He played catcher at UCLA before the war.

quote:

As they captured the first gun at Brécourt, several members of Easy Company flushed out a trench near one of the howitzers. German soldiers fled the trench and the gun emplacement through an open field while the attacking paratroopers fired on them. That is, except for Buck Compton. Instead of firing his Thompson, Compton opted to pull out a grenade. Compton pulled the pin and threw the grenade toward the retreating Germans. The throw was timed, perhaps instinctively, perfect. The grenade exploded next to the head of a retreating German soldier, killing him instantly. The throw was magnificent in its own right, but what makes both the throw and the story exceptional is that the grenade exploded at about the distance between home plate and second base. Compton, the All-American catcher from UCLA, had taken out a grenade and, like it was a baseball, fired a Yadier Molina-esque strike 127 feet, killing an enemy combatant in mid air.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
How do we, as a generation, compete with that?

LOL, gonna fly my drone and lay sick burns on people from half a world away. Great Grand-dad took out a German with a toss. We're totally on the same level.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

We would see incredible acrobatics if very good athletes went to war instead of the lower classes.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

VendaGoat posted:

How do we, as a generation, compete with that?

LOL, gonna fly my drone and lay sick burns on people from half a world away. Great Grand-dad took out a German with a toss. We're totally on the same level.

There was a battle in The Boys of '67 where an American grenadier firing at retreating Viet Cong managed to launch a grenade from an M79 several hundred yards, arcing perfectly to hit a VC directly in the back of the head.

FishOnAPiano
Oct 9, 2012

That's literally a ride at Legoland
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhPsdfoDKz0

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

mostlygray posted:

Like was already mentioned, they're pretty much baseball sized, but other countries (Germany, and China for example) liked stick grenades as the handle gave some extra distance due to the torsion effect.

They were primarily concussion grenades, and had a much smaller kill radius as they were more for throwing at a target you were running towards. The idea being it would stun or kill the enemy, but it was still safe for you to close the distance to take advantage of their stunned/wounded state or to get into their position asap. They also had fragmentation sleeves that you could put on the end to make them act more like US pineapple grenades.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

AFewBricksShy posted:

Buck Compton (from Band of Brothers) killed a German soldier during an assault on D-Day by pitching a grenade pretty much into the back of his head, it exploded just before it hit him. He played catcher at UCLA before the war.

https://youtu.be/wB6QQ1rK94I?t=31

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

stillvisions posted:

The answer from second-hand sources (friends who were Canadian Forces at least 15 years ago, so maybe not modern training accurate either) so I can't personally testify to this, but the reason everyone forgets how to throw a ball when they throw a grenade is you're explicitly told you don't throw it like a ball, because the elbow/wrist snapping motion of a baseball throw is not a safe mix with what is now an armed live explosive. Instead they were taught to throw with a straight (or at least locked) elbow and wrist so the throwing motion comes entirely from the shoulder, which is unnatural for anyone used to throwing. And once live explosives get into play the first time on the grenade range is going to be kinda scary no matter how many test throws you've done.

So what you're saying is that the nations of the world should be looking to employ cricket bowlers as grenade trainers? Because if so , and you can get Murali involved, you can add "magically make a grenade appear behind the enemy" to Blistex's list.

Admittedly wars would take a lot longer and there'd be a lot of arguments about polishing the grenades, but that's not such a bad thing.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

goddamnedtwisto posted:

So what you're saying is that the nations of the world should be looking to employ cricket bowlers as grenade trainers? Because if so , and you can get Murali involved, you can add "magically make a grenade appear behind the enemy" to Blistex's list.

Admittedly wars would take a lot longer and there'd be a lot of arguments about polishing the grenades, but that's not such a bad thing.

At the risk of a further derail, do you have a video of this? Because I don't know what the gently caress any of the cricket terms mean and apparently there are a poo poo load of weirdass rules in that game, including some people are allowed to spin the ball but others can't?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I'm not sure throwing a grenade into the ground and hoping it will bounce is a good idea.

• Locked thread